new gps 60csx

cloudrider63

it is pretty much like that for all of us unless you have the higher end gps unit. alot of the gps units don't have an actual compass in them, it is just based of the sats and how they are positioned at that particular time. when the so called compass starts going haywire on you and you are within 30ft of the cache, then put your eyes to work and start looking. if it wasn't for the clues that the cache owners give, I wouldn't have very many cache finds and probably like wise with most of the cache seeks here.

The pointer is not the compass.

The 60 CSx has an electronic compass. How it functions depends on how you have your unit set. When you go to the compass page, the pointer is pointing at the cache and the numbers or letters on the ring around the pointer are showing you the compass directions.

The electronic compass can be turned off (by holding down the page button). Then all you have is the basic compass that almost all hand helds have--it works only when you are walking at a certain pace (about 3 mph).

I've found that the pointer flips the wrong way when I have the compass turned off on my 60 CSx. But the numbers still go down as you approach the cache, so you can still use the unit even with the compass off, if you prefer. My husband turns his off, because he doesn't like the unit nagging him to hold the compass level.

I thought the 60 CSx is one of the higher end hand helds (unless you are comparing them to commercial units costing thousands of dollars).

The 60CSx has settings that automatically turn the electronic compass off when you are moving and allows the unit to track direction using the signals from the satellites. However, the default settings are more or less only useful when you are driving -- often a normal walking speed leaves the compass turned on and causes all sorts of havoc.

Link to one of my previous posts on this topic...

I thought the 60 CSx is one of the higher end hand helds (unless you are comparing them to commercial units costing thousands of dollars).

I agree with this comment! The 60csx is indeed a SUPER AWESOME GPS that is affordable and geocaching-friendly. I have one, and I have no plans to upgrade anytime in the near future.

As far as the topic at hand: I have found that the needle will point all over the place if you are not holding the unit level. If you look at the bottom of the screen while you are navigating, it will sometimes say "hold level" ....if you are not holding it level, then you will be wandering everywhere trying to find the cache. Also, echoing what others have said, when you get withen 20 feet from the cache the GPS is not going to help you anymore for the most part. It is up to you to stick on your geocaching cap and start looking for the container.

Ok I broke down and bought a garmin 60csx. I have tried finding 5-6 geocaches and most of the time the compass has pointed the oposite way from the cache. Any ideas, tips that will help me with this unit? Thanks

I have found that the compass points in the direction that the Bearing in the top box tells me the cache lies and is not the most accurate. I find it far easier to use a lensatic compass based on the bearing from my location as indicated in the bearing box. Always takes me to the cache. It you are directionally challenged, I strongly suggest you get one or a good Boy Scout Compass.

Yes, it is an electronic compass...I use the 60CSX and it is a great GPS receiver, however, we must learn to use it correctly....My experience, after logging a cache and off to the next cache, I may have to make a 270deg turn or a 360 turn to get the arrow pointing in the correct direction....no big problem...also, it will help to get in the habit of calibrating the compass, maybe several times on a "cache run"...but always calibrate the compass when using the 60CSx. As the other person says, "you can turn the compass off"...I have never done that and don't feel that I need too. ( my batteries have a great life span) Just keep using and reading the manual and "all" will fall into place....and of course ask questions...You can't beat the 60 CSx, not even with a "high Dollar" GPS receiver. Happy caching and work with "it"...

Yes, it is an electronic compass...I use the 60CSX and it is a great GPS receiver, however, we must learn to use it correctly....My experience, after logging a cache and off to the next cache, I may have to make a 270deg turn or a 360 turn to get the arrow pointing in the correct direction....no big problem...also, it will help to get in the habit of calibrating the compass, maybe several times on a "cache run"...but always calibrate the compass when using the 60CSx. As the other person says, "you can turn the compass off"...I have never done that and don't feel that I need too. ( my batteries have a great life span) Just keep using and reading the manual and "all" will fall into place....and of course ask questions...You can't beat the 60 CSx, not even with a "high Dollar" GPS receiver. Happy caching and work with "it"...

I never use the compass and don't feel I need to. Saves all that calibrating nonsense. The icon on the map gets me to the cache every time, AND you can see if there are any intervening obstacles which you need to go around on the way.