Determining distance between caches

I placed a new cache, but it is held up because it is 492 feet from another cache, so less than 0.1 mile. This surprised me, as I had marked off the nearby cache, and thought my geo indicated it was way more than 528 feet. It is in a wooded area, so maybe I circled back a bit without realizing it. Or, maybe the tree cover was reducing satellite accuracy.

Any hints on how to avoid this problem?

I placed a new cache, but it is held up because it is 492 feet from another cache, so less than 0.1 mile. This surprised me, as I had marked off the nearby cache, and thought my geo indicated it was way more than 528 feet. It is in a wooded area, so maybe I circled back a bit without realizing it. Or, maybe the tree cover was reducing satellite accuracy.

Any hints on how to avoid this problem?

I would just go back out with the nearby cache loaded in my GPS and then move my cache farther away. However, if my hiding spot was really cool I would ask for an exception from the review since the distance is so close to the guideline.

When I place a new cache, I make sure that the nearest caches are in my gps. When I'm at the spot where I want to place my new cache, I check for the nearest caches on my gps. If I know the coordinates to the finals of nearby mysteries or multis, I make sure those are in my gps as well.

It's true, if another cache is very close to the .1 proximity and if I'm worried about accuracy, it could show up as closer or farther away once I create the cache page.

So here's another thing that you can do to see what it looks like on geocaching.com. You can create your cache page, but make sure that you deselect the the box that says, "Yes, this cache is currently active (Reviewers will not see this listing unless box is checked)", then push the submit button. Then you can look at your cache page without worrying that it will be reviewed by a reviewer before you're done checking everything. Go to the cache page, and click on the link that says, "Find......all nearby caches". Then you can see what the site says is too close. Of course, this will only help you with traditionals, and perhaps the beginning of multis, it will not tell you where the finals are to multis or mysteries.

When your cache is ready, just remember to select the button that says, "Yes, this cache is currently active (Reviewers will not see this listing unless box is checked)", before you submit it to be reviewed. :rolleyes: