Etrex Legend HC

Not sure why my post did not appear with the message intact but here goes again:

I am considering purchasing the Garmin Extrex Legend HC and I am wondering if and how you can enter longitude and latitude coordinates in this unit manually?

I did not see this addressed in the manual and quick reference guide for this model downloaded from their website.

Thanks in advance!!

Not sure why my post did not appear with the message intact but here goes again:

I am considering purchasing the Garmin Extrex Legend HC and I am wondering if and how you can enter longitude and latitude coordinates in this unit manually?

I did not see this addressed in the manual and quick reference guide for this model downloaded from their website.

Thanks in advance!!

I am looking at new gps also. The manual for the Legend HCX and Summit HC say you can enter coords. manualy but don't tell you how. For the Etrex H they don't even say you can enter them manually. I borrowed a friends Legend HCX and was able to edit a waypoint to new coords. but what a pain in the rear. Thanks for any help

Edited by farmermike

Thanks in advance!!

I am looking at new gps also. The manual for the Legend HCX and Summit HC say you can enter coords. manualy but don't tell you how. For the Etrex H they don't even say you can enter them manually. I borrowed a friends Legend HCX and was able to edit a waypoint to new coords. but what a pain in the rear. Thanks for any help

I have a legend HCX and I have to create a waypoint and put the cords in after that then rename it.Yes it is a PITA.. :)

I have an Exrex Legend HCx It's my 3ed unit.

I go to the main menu and click on "mark" It will then display the co-ords of the current location, of the last location that the GPS had a signal. I then just change the co-ords to the ones I want to add. Chances are that the waypoint you are making is not hundreds of miles away so you don't need to change that many numbers in the co-ords.

Yes the Unit will auto name the way point starting from 001 and then it counts up. But just click on the name box and click "clear" and it will delete the 001 auto named waypoint. so you can rename it. I think auto waypoint naming is a good idea because if you have a unit that has 1 click waypointing like the Legend hcx, if I'm in a hurry and I just need to mark a location quickly I just hold down the "clicky thing" (sorry don't know its name) then If i forget what the waypoint was called 001 009 098 or whatever I simply look in the "recent found" section of the unit and there it is. I can then rename it when I have time.

I hope this has helped

Yup, thats pretty much how you do it. mark a waypoint then edit it. after doing that for a caching trip and have 25 of them set up, not only is it a pain in the rear, it is also a pain to the finger tips!!

If you are setting up for a caching trip you are best off hooking to your computers and saving the caches to your phone directly. If you have a premium membership you get all the detailed info. If you have basic, you get the name of the cache, location, and brief description. I have the etrex Venture HC also.