Newbie with eTrex H gps questions

Hi... I'm a newbie... just started last month and had my first find yesterday so be patient with me :rolleyes: I have a few questions about my gps. I have a Garmin eTrex H which seems to be working great despite my lack of knowledge.

I do not have the cable (yet) that would hook it up to the computer. If I did purchase that though, would I need additional software to enable it to upload geocache coordinates or will it immediately work upon plugging it in? (As a side note, I have Windows Vista.) Is the extra expense worth this feature?

My second question is, when I manually enter the coordinates, there's no information provided concerning the elevation of the coordinates. Does the gps automatically know the answer to this? I've entered 5 waypoints and it has a different elevation for each so I assume it knows what it's doing. I hate to assume though :(

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Check your drawer to see if you already have a cable. The eTrex series USB models use a standard USB-to-mini USB cable, like the kind MP3 players and digital cameras use.

Your unit should have come with a Garmin Trip & Waypoint Manager CD that has the USB drivers.

Here's the link for the Garmin Communicator plug-in. It allows the web browser to send waypoints directly to your unit via the USB cable:

http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/

The Etrex H is a nice basic high sensitivity gps. It does not show elevation or have a compass.I have one as a backup and enjoy using it. I think a cable is a must.It sure beats manually entering the data.Also I believe for some reason it doesnt show the last digit on the waypoint ID.But thats no big deal.Good luck with it:))

We use the eTrex H as a backup to our eTrex. Folks may have the eTrex Venture confused with the eTrex H.

The cable for the eTrex and eTrex H is actually a serial cable and most newer computers do not come with serial ports any longer. The solution to this would be getting a serial to usb adapter, however there have been some horror stories about trying to get this to work. I don't know what the answer is with Vista.

The eTrex H will show elevation for your current location, so when you enter a waypoint manually the elevation you are at is the elevation that will be shown unless you edit it manually.

The cable is nice for adding lots of waypoints quickly, although we found our first 1500 caches by manually putting them into the GPS.

Edited by XC_Tracker

We use the eTrex H as a backup to our eTrex. Folks may have the eTrex Venture confused with the eTrex H.

The cable for the eTrex and eTrex H is actually a serial cable and most newer computers do not come with serial ports any longer. The solution to this would be getting a serial to usb adapter, however there have been some horror stories about trying to get this to work. I don't know what the answer is with Vista.

The eTrex H will show elevation for your current location, so when you enter a waypoint manually the elevation you are at is the elevation that will be shown unless you edit it manually.

The cable is nice for adding lots of waypoints quickly, although we found our first 1500 caches by manually putting them into the GPS.

You are correct, it does show elevation.My bad. Great little unit for the price.Wish I had know about it sooner.Could have saved alot of money:))

I just want to be 100% sure before I by one that you CAN enter coords manually. The owners manual doesn't say that you can. Do you have to Mark a point then edit it like the Legend ? Thanks

Yes, that's how it works. I know a girl that has found over 16,000 caches by entering them manually.

Edited by coggins

The Etrex H is a nice basic high sensitivity gps. It does not show elevation or have a compass.I have one as a backup and enjoy using it. I think a cable is a must.It sure beats manually entering the data.Also I believe for some reason it doesnt show the last digit on the waypoint ID.But thats no big deal.Good luck with it:))

the etrex h I bought over the weekend for 99.97 at Wally world, although not a magnetic one has a compass on it and it also shows elevation if you mark a waypoint. and I don't have a usb port on mine it has 4 little tabs that looks like a specialized end would be needed to use it. no cd with mine.

the etrex h I bought over the weekend for 99.97 at Wally world, although not a magnetic one has a compass on it and it also shows elevation if you mark a waypoint. and I don't have a usb port on mine it has 4 little tabs that looks like a specialized end would be needed to use it. no cd with mine.

Yes, thats a serial cable.You should have gotten one with it. The manual states it is not a magnetic compass but an arrow to point the way.Cant beat it for the price.

Yes, thats a serial cable.You should have gotten one with it. The manual states it is not a magnetic compass but an arrow to point the way.Cant beat it for the price.

PHMI alert. That unit does not come with a cable or software disc of any type. The connector is for RS-232 serial I/O and external power. Look to the upper left of the page here linked: LINK, that show what you might want from a connector to a bluetooth adapter that works with the eTrex line.