Where to hide

Brassine Family

I found 5 of my first 6 caches today and I have some questions.

I want to start hiding caches, but most of the caches in my area have been here for a few years.

1. What interests you to go after a specific cache?

2. what steps should I take to ensure the seeker enjoys the hunt?

Its one of those deals where I don't want to make it too easy where you guys are bored, but yet I don't want to make it so hard that you don't even want to bother with it.

I'm a newbie so today's finds were exciting for me. Even the 35mm canister ones made me react, " oh yes, I found it!!!"

Is that the way will everyone? or just crazy newbies like myself?

Thanks in advance for all opinions and suggestions. good or bad.

So far I have a mere 7 under my belt, but I must say I am already becoming rather accustomed to certain styles. For one, if the hide is truly clever, or something truly unique, it makes it all the more fun finding it and writing your name in that log. It is honestly ok to make it challenging, save it for the folks who've had the experience necessary to facilitate the find. Or find a place you'd see most cachers missing, or a place you'd take a total stranger were you trying to really show them your area. I have seen many many new areas thanks to caching, and thats only at 7!!!!

Make it fun, and for some, challenging is that fun. YOu can even camo your container to the point where it is indistinguishable from its surroundings. Or make it so tiny it'd take an equally small writing utensil to write in it.

I am actually in the process of scoping a location for my first hide as well, also trying to learn from my local cachers.

1. What interests you to go after a specific cache?

Three things. Location, location and location. I like caches that bring me to an area that is interesting in some respect. Could be a great view, an historic site, an oddity, some cool geological feature, a quiet scenic spot in the woods, an area of special interest or just a pleasant walk. It doesn't have to be a place of breathtaking beauty, or of earthshaking historical importance. Just some place that is a cut above the ordinary and will make people say "cool", instead of "yuk".

2. what steps should I take to ensure the seeker enjoys the hunt?

Very simple. Before placing a cache, think of why you are bringing people to that location. If the only reason is the cache, then choose another location.

Also make sure you use a quality, waterproof container. I can't think of a single geocacher who enjoys opening a cache to find a sodden mass of pulp for a logbook and rusted, slimy trinkets.

Don't stress over making it too easy. If you make it about the location very few geocachers will be bored, no matter how easy it is to find. The idea that a cache must be a challenge to find is a relatively new one and many geocachers do not embrace it.

Edited by briansnat

I'm not an experienced cacher, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I don't like stealth caches. I work in a high-stress environment and caching is about relaxing to me. Because the urban caches are more prolific, I do have to hunt them, but I don't prefer it.

My one hide is a rural, out-of-the-way cache. It isn't really scenic, unless the little valley with the leaves turning in autumn is your idea of scenic, and that red-tailed hawk circling overhead is pretty to you.

The one thing I wanted my cache to do was give kids a place to jump out of the car and run around searching. I didn't want them to worry about manicured landscaping, or being quiet so muggles wouldn't notice them.

Here, they can jump and yell at one another "I found it, nyah nyah!" No one is going to fuss at them and they can find some pretty rocks and chase lizards and be kids. They can even bring their dog and he can bark without being hushed.

I truly like the historic and intellectual caches, but sometimes, it's just about walking around in the woods.

*JMHO*