newbie question

benalexe

I am somewhat new to Geocaching. We found a total of 3. Correct me if I am wrong but the way I understand Geocoins is a coin that I can place in a cache and I can track it to see where it travels to.

Here are my questions...

I see they are very expensive. I have also looked online and see a lot of them are from 2006 or so it seems.

What I am looking to do is to purchase about 5 coins that I can leave in caches. I do not want to pay 10 or 15 for a coin I will never see again. Just seems like a lot of money to me.

I don't have too much of a preferance as to what they look like but I guess being that I am from NY maybe that would be nice.

Also, what is to stop someone from taking my coin from a cache and either keeping it or worse selling it on ebay?

Can you tell me when I can get cheap coins I can put out there?

www.coinsandpins.com sells a coin called a travel slug for right around $4. It's trackable and may be what you're looking for. The other option is a travel bug, they're generally the cheapest thing.

Drilling a hole in them and attaching a sheet to them helps from being stolen, but no guarantees. As for ebay, once you activate it, that greatly decreases them ending up on ebay.

Welcome and good luck!

I am somewhat new to Geocaching. We found a total of 3. Correct me if I am wrong but the way I understand Geocoins is a coin that I can place in a cache and I can track it to see where it travels to.

Here are my questions...

I see they are very expensive. I have also looked online and see a lot of them are from 2006 or so it seems.

What I am looking to do is to purchase about 5 coins that I can leave in caches. I do not want to pay 10 or 15 for a coin I will never see again. Just seems like a lot of money to me.

I don't have too much of a preferance as to what they look like but I guess being that I am from NY maybe that would be nice.

Also, what is to stop someone from taking my coin from a cache and either keeping it or worse selling it on ebay?

Can you tell me when I can get cheap coins I can put out there?

I have Kansas sunshine coins cheap.

Hey Benalexe:

Welcome aboard, I hope you enjoy this passtime of geocaching. You asked about the drilling holes and attaching a tag. Check out this link by dflye:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3451595

Drilling the hole in the coin makes it much less valuable for resale by thieves and you can attach a laminated tag that defines the coin's (now a travel bug) mission. I have some of the Groundspeak travel bugs out (they look like dog tags). They are great for attaching a hitchhiker onto (stuffed animal, wood carving, anything durable), but some people like sending actual coins out it all depends on your own interests.

What you're saying about not wanting to spend a lot of money for something that you probably won't ever see again makes perfect sense and so fo you, the travel slugs, dog tags or other options like the Kansas Sunshine coins might be a good choice. Where you just posted that you ordered some Groundspeak tags, give those a try. They aren't really a high demand item for theft, being so generic and you can attach them to something to give them a bit of personality. Let us know how you made out.