want to geocache with my Garmin nuvi 750

maloahlstrom

I have a 760 but only use it to get me to the parking spot, it's not made to leave the car and go in the woods. I have a 60Cx for that :) . If you go to pilotsnipes pages you can find out how to load it up with all the caches in your area (I've got 5000 in it so far!) and set a proximity alarm so you don't pass by a cache by accident. I've used this with great success so far. Happy Caching

I just got a Garmin nuvi 750 for driving, but want to use it for geocaching. We tried, but things were hard once we had to go off road. Am I missing something? Is this purely for driving directions? Any help would be appreciated.

I've had a 750 since last Christmas and close to finding 200 caches with it.

Depending on where the cache coords take you (I assume you have found how to enter coords into the unit) you then need to put the unit into "off-road" mode: From the main screen press "tools" at the bottom right, settings/navigation/route preference - (it probably says "faster time" at this point) press the blue box that says "faster time" then select "off road" then press OK, then "back" to the map. Your map will now show a pink straight line from your present position to the destination.

If you press the arrival time (lower left) it will show you the distance at the upper right, this screen will also show what direction you are moving (if you care to know). Zoom in as you approach GZ, alternating between the map and distance pages.

If you want to know how accurate your readings are, from the main screen press and hold down on the signal strength bars. A screen will appear with your current lat/long, speed and elevation and show the sats your unit is receiving - at the bottom right of the screen it will show the accuracy reading. Take this into account when your unit says you are at GZ - the cache can be in an area within a 20 to 50 foot circle from this point, depending on your unit's accuracy and the cache owner's unit's accuracy when they placed the cache.

I carry my unit in a fanny pack while walking and check it depending on the distance from the cache. I lock the screen while it's in the pack. It holds a signal well unless you are bent over it (while trying to find the cache). Just be careful if you are walking and holding it - don't trip over something and launch it into the woods. Not many GPS units can take that kind of abuse - even though I've dropped mine from a few feet and haven't damaged it (knock on wood). I will say Garmin units take a pretty good beating.... :rolleyes:

One downside is that the unit is only good for about 4 hours away from a power source (car), but at this point I'm not away from the car that long. You could shut it off if you are on established trails and then turn it on and check, but if you want to do that type of caching you should really buy a handheld unit.

If you are "serious" about doing some caching with it, get a premium membership, get GASK, and pilotsnipes paperless caching macro for the Nuvi. That's what I use and it's very cool!!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...ss+caching+nuvi

http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com

Happy Caching!

wickedann

I agree with WickedAnne. I have recently used the pilot snipes and the gsak to go paperless and love it. Follow what she said. Go into tools and make sure you are in pedestrian mode as well as off road mode when you park the car and are ready to cache. I bought a waterproof case at an outdoor store. It hangs around my neck on a lanyard, which makes life very easy. This gives me no worries when it slips out of my hand. It has been a great relief to know it is now waterproof. Happy caching!