Oregon 400T basemap offset?

muns02

So I spent day 1 with my OR today (after updating to v2.5) and found that while driving around town I'm consistently 80 to 120 ft offset from the road drawn on the TOPO basemap. :rolleyes: Is there some setting I'm missing? I tried to setting the GPS to WAAS mode to see if there was any difference - there wasn't - but am unsure if it ever acquired (how do I know if its WAAS?). This concerns me as I am now questioning the overall accuracy of this unit.

Anyone else have a similar experience or suggestion for me?

Edited by muns02

So I spent day 1 with my OR today (after updating to v2.5) and found that while driving around town I'm consistently 80 to 120 ft offset from the road drawn on the TOPO basemap. :rolleyes: Is there some setting I'm missing? I tried to setting the GPS to WAAS mode to see if there was any difference - there wasn't - but am unsure if it ever acquired (how do I know if its WAAS?). This concerns me as I am now questioning the overall accuracy of this unit.

Anyone else have a similar experience or suggestion for me?

The Garmin Topo roads are notorious for being inaccurate. I live near the IL/WI state line, and there is one road which is right on the state line. It has an IL name/number as well as a WI name/number. When I look at the Topo 2008 maps from Garmin, I see two roads paralleling each other about 200-300 feet apart. One is IL name/number and the other is the WI name/number for the same road. Neither of the roads on the Topo map matches the track log from my GPSr. If I look at the City Navigator 2009 NT maps, there is only one road, and it matches the track line from my GPSr (with lock on roads turned off). I almost always use the City Nav maps now based on this experience...

That is a scaling and/or rotation issue. Surveyors and GIS people deal with that all the time. When you paste maps together, and line it up at a few georeferenced points, there will almost always be some error like that.

Just zoom out a bit, you hardly even notice it then. :)

Edited by Okiebryan

That is a scaling and/or rotation issue. Surveyors and GIS people deal with that all the time. When you paste maps together, and line it up at a few georeferenced points, there will almost always be some error like that.

Just zoom out a bit, you hardly even notice it then. :)

Thanks all for the input! Took a drive today and did find that adjusting the zoom put me back on the road. As long as it's expected error I won't worry too much. I did pocket 9 caches today, so it can't be too far off!