Garmin 60CX Hesitations

GPS Derek

Having problems that are either getting worse but more likely I'm just getting more irritated by them.

Device will just stop dead for a short time (like 5-15 seconds) and then catch up to where it should be.

Examples:

In street routing I will go around a corner and I can be 400 meters before it goes back to the regular screen (away from the turn screen)

If I'm trying to scroll though the a list of waypoints the highlight bar with just stop and then 5-15 seconds later it will just jump 10 (or how many times I pushed the button) lines down.

The other day top half of the screen scrolled down blank (while driving) and then re drew itself after a bit of time.

If it was a PC I would say it had a big job running in the background using resources.

Machine is a 60CX with latest firmware. 512 card with city nav V7 and topo installed for my area (usually on CN)

Any suggestions? I keep meaning to call garmin but I forget during the da while I'm at work.

TIA

Device will just stop dead for a short time (like 5-15 seconds) and then catch up to where it should be.

Examples:

In street routing I will go around a corner and I can be 400 meters before it goes back to the regular screen (away from the turn screen)

If I'm trying to scroll though the a list of waypoints the highlight bar with just stop and then 5-15 seconds later it will just jump 10 (or how many times I pushed the button) lines down.

The other day top half of the screen scrolled down blank (while driving) and then re drew itself after a bit of time.

This is a bit of a long shot, but it won’t cost you much to try it. Try clearing your list of Recent Finds.

On a couple of occasions, my 76CSx was responding sluggishly, somewhat similar to what you describe. The first time, I had been looking for restaurants in the CN database. I had “found” quite a few of them. When I tried to use the unit after that, it was very slow to respond in a number of ways. I don’t remember what specific ways, so I don’t know whether any of them would have been the exact things you’re seeing. It was especially noticeable when accessing the Recent Finds list; so I cleared it, and the problem immediately went away. I’m pretty sure that it was also affecting other functions besides accessing the Recent Finds list. I’ve had one similar experience since then.

I don’t know why this would be. It doesn’t seem to happen when my Recent Finds list contains mostly my own waypoints and just a few CN POI. Maybe something about having POI from CN in the Recent Finds list makes it search the database, even when I’m not using the Recent Finds list. Having a lot of them may cause it to take a lot of time. This sounds like a pretty far-fetched theory, even to me; but I can’t think of any other explanation.

I hate clearing my Recent Finds list, since I use it a lot; but it has been worth it when my unit was responding slowly.

Hope this might work for you.

On occasion I have encountered similar periods of unresponsiveness. Satellite reception seems to play into the picture for me. It appears that if there aren't many satellites being picked up the unit must be working hard at acquiring additional satellite fixes. I have observed this a number of times, but I'm not, as of yet, 100% convinced.