Help! I suck at finding caches

sean.kahlich

Let's be honest, consistently not finding caches gets old. What are some tips to help someone who just can't find anything on his own? Could it be I always look for caches that have recently been moved? Could it be that over time the cache moves slightly off coordinates? Could it be that my GPS isn't worth the money I paid for it? I'd like to enjoy this activity, but right now I'm not. Got any ideas?

Sean, I'm new too and I have more luck on larger caches. Micros are just too hard for me as a rookie.

I also have found that reading other people's Found It logs helps, too. If experience folks log it as 'evil' or difficult because of the camo, I give it a pass unless I really am in the mood for a challenge that day.

Other experienced folks will be by to give you lots more advice.

:santa:

1. Find an experienced cacher to help you for a few finds.

2. Learn how to USE your GPSr, study the manual

3. Accept the fact that there is a learning curve

4. Pay attention to the smallest detail

5. Look for something out of place, not exactly right, different

6. Each find will teach you a different lesson, if you allow it

7. Don't get in a hurry, take your time and THINK'

8. Early on go for "traditional-caches" and leave the "micro's & nano's" for LATER

9. On each find, take notes, it will hepl you remember "lessons-learned"

:santa::santa::rolleyes: Enjoy the sport, happy caching

The "big red arrow" points to an area, not a perfect spot.

EVERY cache is something unnatural. Close your eyes, open them, and think "what doesn't look normal". (urban caches caveat: people are sneaky bastiges.. see what can be easily dismantled)

The trick is looking for what "doesn't fit" and reading the clues. Many logs actually have clues _IN_ them. Read them. Parse them. When you get to GZ, read them again.. anything jump out?

Once again, look for something unnatural. 5 lb rocks don't end up ON TOP OF rotting wood. That big chunk of tree.. would it have fallen that way? Is there a natural "hide' ready made? What doesn't look out of place? Pine trees generally don't have acorns, and oak trees don't have pinecones, etc etc.

Let's be honest, consistently not finding caches gets old. What are some tips to help someone who just can't find anything on his own? Could it be I always look for caches that have recently been moved? Could it be that over time the cache moves slightly off coordinates? Could it be that my GPS isn't worth the money I paid for it? I'd like to enjoy this activity, but right now I'm not. Got any ideas?

Hi There Sean,

All the above answers are spot on, especially the size and difficulty ratings.

Really focus on 1 to 1.5 difficulty and regular or larger size caches. Much easier in the beginning.

Also what type of GPSr do you have?

We started using my wife's Magellan automotive GPSr and we managed to find a couple but only because of the geo-sense going off as we were quite a ways away from the cache when the device said arrived. We now have one of the newer Garmin hand held units with geocaching friendly features and it works great. (I am still way off sometimes though.)

Don't give up yet, it does get better.

G

Lots of good advice already offered, but I'd like to add:

Read the hints. It might seem like cheating but when I was first starting I really needed them. After finding a few you'll start to get a feel for what you're looking for as well as where to look.

Look for things like unnatural piles of sticks, stones, leaves, etc, and things that just look out of place or things that lead to nowhere. If you're looking in an area that has lots of rocks, look under the biggest one. The biggest one that the average person could lift, I mean.

Look in holes or knots in trees, feel under things made of metal for something small and magnetic sticking to it.

Lots of good advice already offered, but I'd like to add:

Read the hints. It might seem like cheating but when I was first starting I really needed them. After finding a few you'll start to get a feel for what you're looking for as well as where to look.

Look for things like unnatural piles of sticks, stones, leaves, etc, and things that just look out of place or things that lead to nowhere. If you're looking in an area that has lots of rocks, look under the biggest one. The biggest one that the average person could lift, I mean.

Look in holes or knots in trees, feel under things made of metal for something small and magnetic sticking to it.

Yes! I use hints too a lot. I sometimes read the hint and know exactly what I'm looking for on the site. It's like a skill, reading the hints.:rolleyes: Once you become more experienced, you will rarely need them, but as you begin, it sometimes helps and after a while, you'll learn some of the tricks of some of the hiders and you'll find small things like a bigger piles of leaves or sticks and you'll know right away where it is.

I am also new to caching, but have been navigating for a while... First thing... I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but make sure your GPS is set for WGS84 datum... it is the usual default these days, but IS the one used by Geocaching.com... Hunt with the coordinate system you like but don't confuse your settings...

Around here, most of the topo maps are either old NAD 27 or newer NAD83 (basically the same as WGS84) and there is a 200 x 10 metre difference in the locations given... I've tried the NAD83 and suspect that even the 'sameness' isn't that 'same'..

Try using your compass to sight along the bearings given from a bit further back... That implies using the GOTO feature and that you entered the coordinates you are looking for. Make sure that your GPS really knows where you are... I was demonstrating for a social club here the other day and even in the clear sky view available, something was wrong... my quickly placed demo cache was NOT where I thought due to a bad MARK... don't know how, but it was off by several hundred feet... during the demo it was taking me away from the hide I could see... the compass was disoriented as well in a few spots... something is buried there I'm sure... don't know what. Speaking of compasses... if you use one for triangulation or sighting, make sure you know which bearing you are using... and which the GPS is giving you... TRUE north, Magnetic north or some thing else (UTM Grid north eg.)...

Most of all have fun... I've gone back several times and agree that once you get close, it pays to think like the sneaky so and so who hid the cache... I'm real lucky there! comes natural...

Doug VE7RXC

taking the time to read prior log entries has helped me, and jot down any little tid-bit that may help to find a cache...the goal is to find the cache and if that means getting more info from someone else i thinks that's OK, not cheating, and you still need to go out and find it...even with all that info. Other than that, i can share that after looking around ground zero and just nothing seems right, then simply start expanding your search area and keeping making your area larger and you then should come upon something that looks 'unnatural' and realize that your GPS was throwing you off that day. OH yea... not sure if anyone else has shared: LOOK UP! sometimes we are so focused on the ground, that cache may be right over your head or at eye level and you simply need to look up from the ground!

Edited by Lovey Pigs

If you keep at it...........you will find them! Have faith in yourself. I don't have many finds under my belt, some days I can be on a roll, others I am dragged out of the woods 'cos I am using language that aint Groundspeak - more gutterspeak!

As has already been said...link up with someone who is willing to give you some hints on the "how to" side of things, the logs and descriptions can be a real help too. Watch out for what we call a "cachers' trail" - the odd bootprint, flattened grass or churned soil. Follow your gut feel too and in the words of fellow cachers cache crop think where you would hide something, that might be the spot.

Don't set your targets too high.. I still enjoy the 1/1, but really enjoy getting out there and seeing sights I didn't know existed so close to home. If the cache is found - bonus!

Happy Caching!

If you keep at it...........you will find them! Have faith in yourself. I don't have many finds under my belt, some days I can be on a roll, others I am dragged out of the woods 'cos I am using language that aint Groundspeak - more gutterspeak!

As has already been said...link up with someone who is willing to give you some hints on the "how to" side of things, the logs and descriptions can be a real help too. Watch out for what we call a "cachers' trail" - the odd bootprint, flattened grass or churned soil. Follow your gut feel too and in the words of fellow cachers cache crop think where you would hide something, that might be the spot.

Don't set your targets too high.. I still enjoy the 1/1, but really enjoy getting out there and seeing sights I didn't know existed so close to home. If the cache is found - bonus!

Happy Caching!

One other bit of info that I got when I first started that has helped me in hunting (especially with the older gps units):

Give the coordinates about 20' of leeway, especially in dense cover. So if your gps is 20' off and the hider's gps was 20' off, you have a 40' radius of search from ground zero.

If you are still having issues, walk about 50-100' away and come back in. That may give you a better idea of where to zero in. Also, stop, close your eyes, and take a deep breath. When you open them, don't start searching, just look. I've lost count of how many times I have done that, and the hiding spot just jumped right out at me.

Most of all, just have fun. If you don't find it, just take in the surroundings and enjoy just being outside.

~ynomrah~

Well, in the case of your 2nd most recent find, GCKV07, it was moved. The cache owner posted this when he went to replace the log book that you reported missing:

It's great sometimes having to apply geo-skills to find your own cache. I never ceases to amaze me how far from the original location a cache moves. After about 10 or 15 minutes of searching I finally found the cache (About 30 feet away in a different area of foliage.)

GCQZ5J, Oma's First, (now archived) was apparently a magnetic micro on a military tank. That sort of cache is difficult, no matter what. Just too many possibilities. Good for you that you found it!

Since we're not able to see what caches you have DNF'd, can't say anything about those.

I'm a relative rookie and suck at finding them too.

When I whiff on one, I make sure to note the cache owner and size of the cache. I think that some folks want to make it so challenging that newbies have a hard time finding them. I currently have cache owners I routinely skip over until such time that I find all other caches in the area. That will at least give me some practice for the harder ones.

Also, I HATE HATE HATE to read the logs and find something like:

We drove right up to it and hopped out. My four-year old found it within minutes! TFTeasyC!!

That translated means it will take at least 2 hours of searching for me.

Don't always take these logs to heart. Sad to say this isn't always the case. I have a cache that is still getting logs from a recent MEGA event. I have the log book on my coffee table. No way someone is logging it. Like some of the recent post have said look for something out of the ordinary. If you are caching in the woods more than likely the cache is cover with something or place in a stump or downed tree. Look around. If it was placed in the Summer chances are the tree cover might have interfered with with the coordinates some so, expand your search from ground zero. Urban caches around tall buildings??? Good luck, leave them for a while until you get some more experience under your belt. Best thing, attend a couple local events and see if you can partner up with a cacher and go on a caching run with them. You get the opportunity to meet some fellow cachers and also learn some tricks.

We drove right up to it and hopped out. My four-year old found it within minutes! TFTeasyC!!

Don't let it get you down.

We were FTDNF (First To DNF) on a 1/1 cache with 114 previous finds. It's now up to 144 finds and 2 DNFs

The second DNF was by a local cacher with over 4800 finds.

My best advice is to think "Where would I hide it?" while looking for a difficult cache.

Good advice, generally. Probably the most important single thing to have in mind.

But ...sometimes, when that doesn't work, you need to think:

"Now ...where would I hide this if I spoke to satan every morning, enjoyed de-winging young flies as an amusing activity, and would probably eat my young?" :D

There are some EVIL hides out there! :blink: I just ran into three yesterday ...and one was a regular-sized one :) I swear the hider buried it somewhere B):laughing:

I suspect that until you get some finds under your belt, concentrate on "small" and "regular" size caches. Skip the "Micro" hides, as they include the evilest of all - the nano-cache :D

I suspect that until you get some finds under your belt, concentrate on "small" and "regular" size caches. Skip the "Micro" hides, as they include the evilest of all - the nano-cache :laughing:
Personally, I enjoy blinkers hidden in plain sight on public sculptures. They aren't really what I'd call "evil".

The cache's I've found that have been "evil" (in a good way) have involved excellent camouflage and/or inspired "outside the box" thinking. None of them have been blinkers, although some have been unique, hand-crafted micros/nanos.

I suspect that until you get some finds under your belt, concentrate on "small" and "regular" size caches. Skip the "Micro" hides, as they include the evilest of all - the nano-cache :laughing:
Personally, I enjoy blinkers hidden in plain sight on public sculptures. They aren't really what I'd call "evil".

The cache's I've found that have been "evil" (in a good way) have involved excellent camouflage and/or inspired "outside the box" thinking. None of them have been blinkers, although some have been unique, hand-crafted micros/nanos.

I'm glad you feel that way. You'd love this one I built:

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

I never said I disapproved of hunting ...or placing nanos. I just said they're the evilest of all the caches. Just HOW evil depends on the hider icon_whistle.gificon_devil.gif

Edited by Kohavis

I just started this past Sunday while on vacation in a primarily wilderness kind of area. I felt so stupid on my first one because I really had no idea what I was looking for, where, or whatever, and I remember how excited I was when I found it and realized I really could do it. I hit the next 10 or so without a miss and really thought I was getting a feel for it. Then I started to run into a couple that p-d me off and was getting discouraged, but got a couple more on the way home that got me going again.

Several locations I spent over an hour in and I looked in every nook and cranny, looked for piles of wood out of place or anything else. Problem was most of the ones I couldn't find were in sucky areas. The GPS was bouncing all over the place and had me going in circles, and then a couple areas had so much deadfall and recent brushwork in the area that all the piles looked the same - finally gave up. One I think I know where it may have been but I chose not to stand in a 2 foot ditch full of nice fresh stream water in October (and no doubt high-suction mud at the bottom), and one was under a railroad trestle and the GPS was giving me completely unrelated values depending on which side of the trestle I stood on - I spent an hour and a half on that one. It was a middle sized cache and I went thru the area with a fine tooth comb and still didn't find it.

I found one where there was a jar buried in a wad of "great stuff" that looked just like a hunk of bracket fungi, was creatively splattered with the kind of "gunk" you'd find on a such an item and it was placed next to a downed tree... I was on my way out and said "what the heck is that" and when it moved with my foot I flipped it over and saw the jar. Another one was just a magnetic key box with a rolled up paper log in it stuck to a pipe right out there in front of God and everyone....

I have to admit I had a bit of the devil in me when I put some of them back, and took advantage of a little time to arrange their cloaks a bit more natural, sprinkle on a nice touch of pine straw or some dead leaves, etc...

Now that I'm back home and looking at what's around here, some of these people seem to take great pleasure in making you do psychotic math equations in order to get the GPS coordinates, and other things to make them seem way more difficult at home....

Hang in there, and get a Garmin GPS. Then you can download the waypoints right into it to make things a bit easier.

I am new at this also, but what I did was started with caches that were close to me that I was familiar with the area, that way it was a wee bit easier for me. I have almost finished up the ones that are within 2-3miles of me so I will be venturing further and further away from home so I am sure it will get harder as time goes along. And the people that log that their 4yr. old went right up to it, seems a little far fetched to me. When I log that I found the cache almost instantly, I mean it took me less than 5-10mins.

Just be patient and you WILL find your first cache.

Sean don't despair. From what I have read in this post other folks have given you the answer. Go for the big ones. Since, I got laid off last August I have been doing more caching and try to stay away from micro caches for now until I get more experience at it plus it gets me out of the house. Keep at it!

From one noob to another - read the description carefully, and keep your common sense.

Recently we had a cache where I just skimmed the description and we relied on the coordinates and the clue. This meant I missed a vital piece of information that made it impossible to find the cache, and put us in danger. The difficulty and terrain ratings were only a 1 or 1.5 or so, so if we'd have used our sense instead of steaming ahead without thinking, we'd have realised that finding it wouldn't have been as hard as we were making it.

So yeah - read carefully and don't lose your head. Just my advice from our limited experience!

Edited by Vilome

Also remember to look up! I can't tell you how many times I've spent a good half hour searching a tree when tilting my head a few degrees would have found the thing right away. When in the woods or other areas, look for unnatural piles of wood or rocks. If you really want it to be easier, if you have snow in your area, wait for it to fall, and then do caches that someone had recently found. :laughing:

I'm glad you feel that way. You'd love this one I built
A lot depends on where you hide it. If it's in an area covered with landscaping bark, then it's just another needle-in-a-haystack hide. But I've found some blinkers embedded in camouflage that have been very clever.

I am also new to caching, but have been navigating for a while... First thing... I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but make sure your GPS is set for WGS84 datum... it is the usual default these days, but IS the one used by Geocaching.com... Hunt with the coordinate system you like but don't confuse your settings...

Around here, most of the topo maps are either old NAD 27 or newer NAD83 (basically the same as WGS84) and there is a 200 x 10 metre difference in the locations given... I've tried the NAD83 and suspect that even the 'sameness' isn't that 'same'..

Try using your compass to sight along the bearings given from a bit further back... That implies using the GOTO feature and that you entered the coordinates you are looking for. Make sure that your GPS really knows where you are... I was demonstrating for a social club here the other day and even in the clear sky view available, something was wrong... my quickly placed demo cache was NOT where I thought due to a bad MARK... don't know how, but it was off by several hundred feet... during the demo it was taking me away from the hide I could see... the compass was disoriented as well in a few spots... something is buried there I'm sure... don't know what. Speaking of compasses... if you use one for triangulation or sighting, make sure you know which bearing you are using... and which the GPS is giving you... TRUE north, Magnetic north or some thing else (UTM Grid north eg.)...

Most of all have fun... I've gone back several times and agree that once you get close, it pays to think like the sneaky so and so who hid the cache... I'm real lucky there! comes natural...

Doug VE7RXC

7Rcx this is just what I was looking for. I was out hunting and a buddy's GPS was reading different than mine. I've used my GPS for years, but just in my own world. When you are trying to match the rest of the world it can be a problem. I just started to cache and have bee just nort of the caches. I'll change my datum and give it a try.

Edited by Fern06

I have a few caches that are "in plain view" and can be seen from a hundred feet away from several directions....the thing is, like the images seen in an earlier post, the containers are handmade and designed to appear to be where they should be. You can go to the pages for a couple of these and see how experience helps to find caches....Some new cachers and a few experienced ones even, have had their hands on the containers three, four or five times before their mind clicked and they realized what they had.

Kipling Cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f2-397c834c4a23

Nutts - Road Washed Out: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...64-63ed597c02cb

From the logs, you will find that some found these quite easily and others made numerous trips before asking for hints. I have found too, that sometimes, children have a much easier time finding caches because their minds are more open to "different" ideas and less locked into a certain mind-set. The more you hunt, the more you study ground zero, the better you will become at thinking like the person that did the hides.

Good luck and stick with it!

7rxc this is just what I was looking for. I was out hunting and a buddy's GPS was reading different than mine. I've used my GPS for years, but just in my own world. When you are trying to match the rest of the world it can be a problem. I just started to cache and have bee just nort of the caches. I'll change my datum and give it a try.

Hi there... I hope it works for you... it was a re suggestion of a fix to a common problem as expounded in other threads in the forums... I've found that I was correct in that early NAD83 datum information was tweaked again to conform better to WGS84... but only about a metre and a bit in total... Recently as a result of both Geocaching and teaching a map and compass course that got me going into think mode...

That one setting I had NOT made on my GPS was to correct the declination... It does not have a compass as such, but you can select different norths for the bearings given on the GOTO page... In my case I wanted my NEW orienteering compass to match the bearings coming out of the GPS for sighting on caches.

I use the Magnetic North option but since I have declination set on the compass (suunto), I had some differences on bearings... I had MISSED the option to offset magnetic north by x degrees E or W. The term was different, but it is declination... Now my bearings match what comes out of the GPS and are of use for triangulating from outside of poor coverage areas... I've also found a whole bunch of items that are not for here, but do explain a lot of the confusion I see in many budding 'Navigators'... I'm trying to get that straightened out as well... but it's hard to get people who have been practising 'being wrong' for years to change...

Good Luck Caching, Lots of good fun caches here in the Kootenays of BC.

Doug VE7RXC

As someone else who totally stinks at caching, reading something like THAT on a log that took me a lot of bushwhacking for nothing makes me want to sharpen my stiletto.

At least the cache that I put was a normal ammo can which regrettably had to be removed - and it was an easy find. I'm zero for three at finding caches now, and I'm getting frustrated.

Hi, Sean,

I just started geocaching, too and I bet I suck at it more than you do! I went 0 for 3 today-VERY DISCOURAGING! I have a Garmin ETrex. The worst kind of sucking is when the coordinates put you out in the open and you STILL can't find anything. I have found some caches, though.

:laughing:

We are newbies too. For us it's not so much that we actually found the cache (we've only found one on our own - found a total of 3) but it's the fact that we are out of the house and together as a family. It's not always possible to set time aside for caching with busy schedules, but we do enjoy it when we are out there. We definately learned at a recent geocaching event to look for the unusual, which was true while we were caching at that event.

Enjoy the great outdoors. :)

Edited by yougogirl64

taking the time to read prior log entries has helped me, and jot down any little tid-bit that may help to find a cache...the goal is to find the cache and if that means getting more info from someone else i thinks that's OK, not cheating, and you still need to go out and find it...even with all that info. Other than that, i can share that after looking around ground zero and just nothing seems right, then simply start expanding your search area and keeping making your area larger and you then should come upon something that looks 'unnatural' and realize that your GPS was throwing you off that day. OH yea... not sure if anyone else has shared: LOOK UP! sometimes we are so focused on the ground, that cache may be right over your head or at eye level and you simply need to look up from the ground!

I took everyone's advice and went back to two of the caches I couldn't find. Well using your tips, I found BOTH of them and they were well hidden, too. What a shot in the arm! Thanks, everybody for sharing with us newbies! :grin:

I remember the first time I found a geocache that was out of the ordinary. I was suspended above a clearing in a heavily wooded area. GZ showed it in the middle of the clearing - how could that be?

When I realized that I actually had to break with my own idea of common sense and look UP, a whole new world of geocaching opened up to me.

Still, one of my favorite caches of all time. Thanks Cheesehead Dave!

Sean,

With all the new tips given, have you gotten any better at finding?