Non-traditional geocoins

preferida

I am wondering if anyone out there can help me. My brother is in the Air Force and while I was down visiting him at Langley recently I took him on his first geocaching excursion. He enjoyed it and saw his first geocaching coins. He asked me if I could take some of his Air Force coins and convert them into geocoins. I was at a loss. He gave me six of them and wants me to use them and thinks other geocachers with loved ones in the service (or who have been in the service themselves) will appreciate it. Of course these don't have a travelcode or anything. Is there anything I can do to make them be a geocoin? Thank you! Preferida

That would make it a travel bug and not a geocoin. I would ask to see if you could purchase tracking numbers from GC and I know they have to approve what you put them on and I am not sure if you can just buy six.

If you have to purchase and take numbers off another item i would do it off a Geocoin as they are just as cheap as TB's and it will show up as being a Geocoin not a TB and you can change the name on the geocoin to whatever you want but it would have the icon from the Geocoin you get. There is a Cache Movers Geocoin that has a chain like a tb and you could attach that to your coins.

you can get them for under 4 dollars each at this link GEOSWAG.COM

Good luck on this and It would be nice for me to know if there is a way to purchase 6 generic tracking numbers for Geocoins ???????????

That would make it a travel bug and not a geocoin.

Geocoins are Travel Bugs. Very well dressed TBs, but still TBs. I agree it would be nicer to have tracking numbers from coins, but those coins have their own unique identities whereas a TB has a clean slate. In the end we're really talking about sending a coin out traveling in caches and any tracking number can accomplish that :rolleyes:

edit to add: The advantage of a TB tag also would be having all the pertinent information printed right on the tag. The military coin isn't going to tell you to log it online and would likely end up missing in very, very short order.

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

That would make it a travel bug and not a geocoin.

Geocoins are Travel Bugs. Very well dressed TBs, but still TBs. I agree it would be nicer to have tracking numbers from coins, but those coins have their own unique identities whereas a TB has a clean slate. In the end we're really talking about sending a coin out traveling in caches and any tracking number can accomplish that :rolleyes:

edit to add: The advantage of a TB tag also would be having all the pertinent information printed right on the tag. The military coin isn't going to tell you to log it online and would likely end up missing in very, very short order.

I was not thinking about info on the coin and that is a good point.

They could attach a liminated note to the coin and use the geocoin or they could attach the cache movers Geocoin but it only says this on it. Move This Traveler From cache To Cache ###### Track at Geocaching.com. The other side says, Cache movers. This would give it the cache movers Icon and you can clear the slate off and put what you want on the page and say what you want.

I used to be a firm believer in TB's but I love attaching items to the Cache movers Geocoin so It shows up as a Geocoin. I do agree that the TB's give more information on the tags.

I do also agree that he needs to attach something on it so it does not just have numbers that may not look normal and then end up being muggled. Also his coins would have to have track at Geocaching.com ingraved on them.

I would still like to know if you can Purchase Numbers 6 at a time from Groundspeak.????

Thanks for the great points fox-and-the-hound. This is what is nice about this forum is the input.

I know I am not always right and never will be.

Edited by River Cacher

I would still like to know if you can Purchase Numbers 6 at a time from Groundspeak.????

Maybe that's something that we should put forward to Groundspeak. If we can buy generic TB numbers one at a time, why not coin numbers? They could even be TB Tag style, but just have numbers that bring up a generic coin icon instead of a TB icon. That is something I'd personally love to see! I can think of a bunch of non-trackables that I would like to see traveling :rolleyes:

... He asked me if I could take some of his Air Force coins and convert them into geocoins....Is there anything I can do to make them be a geocoin? Thank you! Preferida

Yes you can.

First, you would need a metal die kit to stamp letters in the side of the coin. The coin needs to be thick enough to take letter.

Then you need some tracking codes. That may take some work. They come in minimum lots. You may have to split up a lot with someone else.

You have to run the coin and the proposed tracking wording by Groundspeak for their approval. The things they look for in a coin insofar as approval should be a non issue for a challenge coin.

You can make it simpler than that and stamp your caching name (or your brothers) in the side and that would make them his own geocoin, just without tracking. Even if you did'nt do that, challenge coins make great trade items. Cachers love them. We have one local who has a very nice challenge coin he leaves every now and then as a signature item.

Edit: There is no rule that says you can't stamp a regualr travel bug number in the coin. That solves the minimum number of coin tracking numbers problem.

Edited by Renegade Knight

That would make it a travel bug and not a geocoin....

That's too restsrictive. I have an Alabama Geocoin that uses tracking from another site. They also track non coins using the same numbers. A geocoin is more than the tracking number though SOME coins that's the only thing that makes them a geocoin at all. True geocoins don't need a tracking number of any kind for a cacher to recognize it as a geocoin. Some coins need some help for cachers to make the geocoin connection.

That would make it a travel bug and not a geocoin....

That's too restsrictive. I have an Alabama Geocoin that uses tracking from another site. They also track non coins using the same numbers. A geocoin is more than the tracking number though SOME coins that's the only thing that makes them a geocoin at all. True geocoins don't need a tracking number of any kind for a cacher to recognize it as a geocoin. Some coins need some help for cachers to make the geocoin connection.

I did not meen to put it so restrictive. I just meant when it shows up on a cahe page it states there is a TB there and I thought it would be nice with the cache movers geocoin attached to this coin it would then show up on the cache page as a geocoin. I also like how the California TB above looks.

ive been monitoring nearby caches on the look out for air force coins

im air force myself, belgian air force.

I hereby authorize you to enter Yimerican Air Space to drop cases of Hoegaarden and Blue Moon. (attaching parachutes would be nice) Dank je!

:) you like mirky blondes hey :-)

blue moon? dont know that one