Log Books

Any body any ideas for what to do with old,Full or damaged Log books when changed out?

Seems a shame to dispose of them when people have taken time to find and log in them .

Surly in this day and age of techno, there should be an alternative to a wet and soggy log book.

Would like ur thoughts and suggestions as to some thing new and original .

Edited by silver01fox
Any body any ideas for what to do with old,Full or damaged Log books when changed out?

Seems a shame to dispose of them when people have taken time to find and log in them .

Surly in this day and age of techno, there should be an alternative to a wet and soggy log book.

I had a pile of a dozen or more from my caches. Some were replacements from active caches, some from archived caches. I'd read through them and they were just gathering dust on a shelf. Not so long back I asked myself a couple of questions... 1) Should I scan them, upload them to my website and post links to them? or... 2) Should I dump them all into the bin?

I couldn't be arsed to scan them all so the bin won!!

Some have scanned them and uploaded the images to the cache page, or if you've got a really small flat you could paper the walls with them.

Scan or photograph the logbook for all to see.

Always put log book in a zip bag

Use a lock lock box

Use waterproof paper

sorry not very new and original, just practical.

:rolleyes::santa:

How about If each Cacher was allocated a pin no to be attached to the cache,which had to be inserted in the cache log page to claim a find .Eliminates the need for a wet book and proof of a cache find too .Notes on the find could also be included in the log on the site page maybe.

Human nature being what it is, people would probably start trading PIN numbers to boost their finds count... :)

Edited for bananananana fingers....

Edited by Von-Horst

How about If each Cache was allocated a pin no to be attached to the cache,which had to be inserted in the cache log page to claim a find .Eliminates the need for a wet book and proof of a cache find too .Notes on the find could also be included in the log on the site page maybe.

So the 'number hunters' go out and find 20+ caches, and have 20+ PINs to remember which goes with which cache... :)

Nice idea, but that takes the FUN from caching!

(For me, anyway -even if I don't do 20+ in a day)

On a warm sunny day what can be more entertaining than pulling up a log and reading the log book. This is only fun if people have written something more than TFTC and signature!!

The other problem is finding a warm sunny day!!

We enjoy perusing the cache log but must confess that I don't believe there is a requirement to scan them!

There are those out there that sign Log Books but do not bother with the on-line logs, especially those that number chase for their own satisfaction rather than the kudos of the 'Congrats threads'.

But ultimately, its for the individual owner to use the log in the way they see fit. Some will cross check the online to the paper to stop the cheats.

To me, the log is an interesting read at the time, since some people will put different stuff in the actual log, also, the paper log may be more up to date than the web, due to same day finds or holiday makers. But ultimately, I'm with Pharisee, chuck them out. :)

I found a cache called "Tunnel Vision" this year which was hidden under a bench and therefore gave cachers somewhere to sit down and write a decent log (it helped that the cache was in an interesting place), sitting and reading the logbook was as much fun as finding the cache, and I'm sure the cache owner will appreciate reading all those logs when they replace it. It's all part of caching.

Throw old ones in the bin if you want, if you invest some money in a decent waterproof container and a ziplock bag they won't get wet, don't deny this part of the game to those who enjoy it.

In a recent event, I scanned in fragments of an old log book and printed them all on an A4 sheet, leaving out some dead-giveaway remarks. The idea was that people would try to guess the cache based purely on the log book signings.

Obviously, only the people who have visited/signed the book were able to participate so this rather limited the number of people who would be able to participate, but it did provide interest to a few - and a couple even guessed the cache without any prompting!

I recently found a Nano Cache, and i mean a Nano!!! .It was so small I couldnt write any thing other than my initials. (With my glasses on too,) and had to wrap the small log around a pencil tip to replace it in the container.

I thought at the time what is the point for sure.Nice to hide and find but hey???

The owner wouldn't be able to reconise most of the sig's, etc, and it would hardly hold more than a dozen or so before it was full.

On these lines alone there must be a better way.

Edited by silver01fox