Christmas/Happy Holidays themed coin ?

tsunrisebey

Question for the masses...

This year will be the first year that I am doing a 'holiday' themed coin and it will be a Christmas themed version.

Having not done a holiday themed coin before, I'm just curious as to the popularity of holiday themed coins? I realize alot depends on the design but is a 'Happy Holiday' Christmas flavored coin of interest to people?

I guess I'm just trying to guage whether or not to keep it at a small minting number and possibly just keep the limits avaialble for purchase to a small number or open it up to reservations after samples come in.

Thougths on Christmas themed coins welcome.

The coin would be trackable/custom icon, it's shaped, it will be a bit larger then my other designs and I almost always go 2" but it will be thinner to help lessen the weight due to it's size. There will be a hole for those of you who like to hang them on trees or release them into the wild.

If there seems to be a lack of interest in Christmas themed coins, I'll probably just keep this one at a small run and call it good. Just thought I'd try my hand at a holiday coin :santa:

The design is going in this weekend. There are no gems on it either :rolleyes:

Well, I hope there is interest in Christmas themed coins as we have one coming out too. I wasn't really planning on one, it just sort of happened. It's going to match a recent pathtag we did.

I personally like the Christmas themed coins and have had comments in the past that a number of people like to hang them on the tree.

edit to add....I'm guessing what ever 'themed' coin you made, it would sell out - so no worries.

Edited by Theotokos

I look forward to seeing it.

There are so many different holidays that this may be an interesting series. So far I like the sound of the coin. There aren't many holiday coins that really catch my eye (no offense anyone - I try to keep my spending down so only go after coins I especially like :santa: ).

So, the variety is a plus and the fact that I really like your sense of design is a bigger plus. I'll be waiting patiently to check it out :rolleyes:

I like holiday themed coins and include them in my missions if I can. There is a tradition in my family that every year I get my kids an ornament for their tree. If it looks like an ornament then some of my christmas shopping could be done! LOL But then the limit would have to be three since two kids and me...... :rolleyes:

We love Christmas, even tho Christmas is not supposed to be all about giving and receiving, we would love to be able to buy X-Mas geocoins for our loved ones, Family and friends. It is always a time for us for giving. Christmas is always been special. We have seen some friends trees that are decorated with geocoins for Christmas and they are so nice looking. But I to tell you something, since I met my wife, and she knows how much this means to me and I have always wanted to do this, my ex wife would never even let me, she had to always have it her way, but my dream was to always decorate a tree for X-Mas with all my firefighter ornaments I get from My parents every year and now that she buys them for me they all go one a tree. It means the world to me. I am honored to be a Firefighter and proud of what I do. It is a great honor that Val lets me do this every year, she is more excited about doing this evey year then I am. Since I have met her she lets me do it every year, maybe this year I can convice her to do it with our geocoins, I dont know if she will go for it. She is definetly a firefighters wife.

Tsun, please do get a Christmas coin, I am sure Val would be interested in a few.

I just wanted to keep the thread about interest in Christmas themed coins for informational purposes.

If I post my design and what-not, then this will have to become my sales thread and I'm not even close to being ready for that.

I was more looking for 'ya we like Christmas coins' or 'we don't normally buy Christmas coin' kinda comments. I know everyone is very visual but for now it's not about the artwork, just thoughts :rolleyes:

My main interest in coins is national/regional themed coins. But that has never stopped me from dropping some coinage on a really good design or theme.

I think you'd get my wife's vote if it had a loop or cutout so that it could be easily hung as an ornament. She's all about Christmas and decorations. I think I'm going to have to break down and have two trees this year just to accomodate all her ornaments! :rolleyes::santa: :santa:

i love the idea, but not the "bigger" part. i am very fond of smaller coins. something in the 1.5" range or even a little smaller. cleaner design, less expensive. more like jewelry. the cacher geocoins from castle man are probably too small for what you are talking about, but they have great "heft" and are beautiful.

the size of the tatanka is about right.

rsg

i love the idea, but not the "bigger" part. i am very fond of smaller coins. something in the 1.5" range or even a little smaller. cleaner design, less expensive. more like jewelry. the cacher geocoins from castle man are probably too small for what you are talking about, but they have great "heft" and are beautiful.

the size of the tatanka is about right.

rsg

Ahhh, RSG, you are a girl after my own heart! I love the micros and smaller coins, too... there is just something about them, so delicate and so much detail in such a small space.... :rolleyes:

Naomi :santa:

Christmas themed coins are very fun. Especially if they can be hung from a tree or something like that. Wouldn't it be cool to see little ET's with santa hats? LOL
LOL, LOVE THAT IDEA, YES THAT WOULD BE SO COOL, Maybe she will go with that design :rolleyes: Edited by sweetlife

I like the Christmas themed coins too. As a matter of fact, I like the Easter ones, St. Patrick's Day, Halloween.........etc.

Actually, if the minting is done in time to receive their before the Holidays I love giving them as gifts. Dates are nice but myself I prefer them without a date.

Oh - gotta fill the piggy bank so I can buy more!

Question for the masses...

This year will be the first year that I am doing a 'holiday' themed coin and it will be a Christmas themed version.

Having not done a holiday themed coin before, I'm just curious as to the popularity of holiday themed coins? I realize alot depends on the design but is a 'Happy Holiday' Christmas flavored coin of interest to people?

I guess I'm just trying to guage whether or not to keep it at a small minting number and possibly just keep the limits avaialble for purchase to a small number or open it up to reservations after samples come in.

Thougths on Christmas themed coins welcome.

The coin would be trackable/custom icon, it's shaped, it will be a bit larger then my other designs and I almost always go 2" but it will be thinner to help lessen the weight due to it's size. There will be a hole for those of you who like to hang them on trees or release them into the wild.

If there seems to be a lack of interest in Christmas themed coins, I'll probably just keep this one at a small run and call it good. Just thought I'd try my hand at a holiday coin :santa:

The design is going in this weekend. There are no gems on it either :rolleyes:

Goin' out on a limb here, I expect you'll sell at least as many as you mint, maybe more, based on your track record. And, as usual, I won't expect to be able to buy one. Just basing on my track record. :santa:

Seriously, I'd be open to the idea. In fact, I'd buy a couple, maybe more.

I always like buying one or two Christmas coins....but for you I have two words....Christmas turtle. :santa:

You'd think with all the turtle coins out lately, you'd all be 'turtled out' :rolleyes: Some of you all have a sickness, lol. Well, I suppose I could do the baby ET's in Christmas colors but that won't be the Christmas coin :santa:

Thanks for the thoughts all....

I absolutely think you should NOT do a Christmas themed coin.

The market is overrun with them and it would just add to the confusion of which one to buy.

In fact, folk's need to save their money and buy their families meaningful Christmas gifts instead of another meaningless piece of metal.

Psssst... wanna see my new Chrsitmas coin that's going to go on sale soon? :rolleyes:

:santa::santa::santa::santa:

Just Kidding!!

I'm not really making a Christmas coin of my own. :santa:

In all honesty and joking aside... Bring them on!

If they are a good design and have an interesting enough theme, folks will scoop them up.

I actually think folks really enjoy a nice holiday (Christmas, Easter, Valentines, ...) themed coin. Most of the previously sold designs of that nature appear to get sold pretty quickly.

I know I've bought my fair share of Christmas coins (Geocaching & Non-Geocaching Alike) since it's our favorite holiday.

Might a matching pin be a part of the package?

I know I'm not alone in asking.

There are quite a few of us that find just as much enjoyment from a nicely designed pin as well as geocoins. :santa:

D-man :santa:

Edited by gridlox

I think we all would love to see do a holiday coin. Your designs are always awesome! I wouldn't mind seeing a Christmas version of your turtles, that way you wouldn't have too much design work to do on it, just do Christmas colors and also maybe make it an ornament to hang on the tree? That would be a real treasure :rolleyes:

Tsun, We look forward to what you come up with and I'm sure it will do well.

We have a sequel Christmas Snowglobe in production, in fact the samples arrived this past week. It will have a loop to hang it again and this year's colour theme is blue.

If you can add a loop (or have already incorporated something like this) that would probably be quite attractive to folks who like to display them.

Keep us in mind if you want to trade one - we are definitely interested in seeing your Christmas creation!

Though this will be my first Christmas season wearing my "collecting hat", I really do like a lot of the ones I have seen from past years. I have been thinking of joining the Christmas mission but I was a bit worried that the holiday coins would not be out for the beginning of November (the missions have to be sent mid-Nov at the latest).

But I could always buy some for NEXT years missions right? :)

Though this will be my first Christmas season wearing my "collecting hat", I really do like a lot of the ones I have seen from past years. I have been thinking of joining the Christmas mission but I was a bit worried that the holiday coins would not be out for the beginning of November (the missions have to be sent mid-Nov at the latest).

But I could always buy some for NEXT years missions right? :)

The Christmas mission can be held over if you are prepared to pay top rates for postage. The 10th November date was to allow for Christmas mailing closing dates that many countries have. Some who like to send a LARGE box of goodies have to contend with matching postal rates.

If you don't mind paying more for postage, then a slightly later mailing date is fine.