WTB: PDA for paperless caching

Hi....I need a decent PDA for paperless caching. I bought a very old Palm Visor that has crashed and burned; need a replacement...would like a newer and better one, with a backlight; this one was so old it didn't have that!

Have you looked on E.bay. I just bought a new in the box Zire31 for 64.00 Its color backlite and plays music

I just went through setting up my first paperless cache "machine". Its nothing expensive, but still impressed me (which being a boarderline high tech junkie is pretty difficult). I didn't want to put a lot of money into a new color, high capability pda and never use it except in the woods where it would be at high risk of lose and/or damage so I was looking more at the used older models but still wanted decent capabilities and I didn't know the first thing about PDA except that everyone else seemed to have one but me. What I wound up with was the Palm M125 which is a backlit (when needed), black & white very sunlight visible and very basic unit that sells cheap on ebay and other sites.($10-25) I elected to go with the Cachemate ($10) program, although there are a couple of other way that I saw were possible. I also elected to use an additional memory card (64mb SD card - $5) that took my cache count from about 1500 on the basic unit to around 10,000-15,000 cache capability so I can load entire areas in different databases and just look up the ones that I am going for at that time. I can also pull them out of one areas database and put them into a particular "trip's" database so I don't have to search through a long list of caches for the next one on the trip. All in all, it cost about $40 to go paperless. I can't wait to get it out in the field for a test run. I've actually bought several that I am setting up for a couple of fellow caching friends and a spare for replacing a dead or lost unit, and maybe even to sell. I discovered the was a little bit of risk on buying the cheaper used ones on ebay, so I though if I bought up a bunch of the cheap ones and check them out and test them, I might be able to sell them as known working units ready for caching rather than the typical "as is" units that may or may not even work (which I got a couple of). I am thinking about putting the steps of what I did, down on paper for my friends to be able to do it on their own. I found the same thing on the internet for a couple of the various ways to go, but none seem to fit exactly what I had, so thought I would write yet another help sheet, but haven't had time yet. There are as many ways to do this as there is selecting a GPS, but I chose this one because I had heard that it was an excellent and cheap way to go and could dig enough bits and piece of "how to's" from the forums so that even a first timer could work through it. Hope this helps other "low budget" cachers like me.

I can second the use of an m125. I bought this unit for personal use about 8 years ago and used it for awhile. Then, it sat in a drawer, and I always said I should sell it on Ebay. Well, it runs Cachemate just fine. I don't mind that it's not color, I only really need to read the desciptions, hints, and logs, so monochrome works AOK. Bottom line, you don't need to spend a lot of money to get true functionality.

Edited by vwaldoguy

I can second the use of an m125. I bought this unit for personal use about 8 years ago and used it for awhile. Then, it sat in a drawer, and I always said I should sell it on Ebay. Well, it runs Cachemate just fine. I don't mind that it's not color, I only really need to read the desciptions, hints, and logs, so monochrome works AOK. Bottom line, you don't need to spend a lot of money to get true functionality.

I have a HP iPaq 6315, it's a smartphone for tMobile, but I never used it as a phone. It can be unlocked for a fee through an online service, but I never took the plunge. I will sell it for what I paid for it, $140+shipping. It comes with the detachable keyboard, charging/syncing cradle, original packaging, and the Owner's Manual. Let me know if you're interested, I can ship the first business day after payment is received, and references can be provided on request. I'm looking to buy my first handheld GPS, and it's time to sell one of my gadgets to facilitate that purchase.