A little miffed at Garmin

Okiebryan

I damaged the outer screen on my 60CSx. I want to buy a new one. Garmin's response? We don't sell parts, send it in and we'll replace it for $150.

I don't think so! I use my GPS every day and can't get by without it. Also $150 is a bit steep, and I don't want it coming back with new software on it!

Anyone have a line on replacement screens for this unit?

I think the $150 has been pretty much their stated policy for out of warranty repairs for a long time, but in the past they have gone out of their way to accomodate people; I recall at least one instance reported here where the unit was pretty much demolished by the owner, and they replaced it no charge. The company seems to be changing in the last year or so in their customer relations policies, but I have heard of people getting different results with different Garmin contacts, so you might get lucky by contacting them again and getting a different representative. I seriously doubt they will send you the screen, but they might waive the $150. Good luck.

I damaged the outer screen on my 60CSx. I want to buy a new one. Garmin's response? We don't sell parts, send it in and we'll replace it for $150.

I don't think so! I use my GPS every day and can't get by without it. Also $150 is a bit steep, and I don't want it coming back with new software on it!

Garmin will not sell you replacement parts for their GPS'

If you are any good with a Dremml I would suggest going and getting a nice piece of Plexy and makeing your own new face plate. :-(

Also $150 is a bit steep, and I don't want it coming back with new software on it!

What new software? It will have the latest firmware version, but you can downgrade that if for some reason it doesn't work. AFAIK the 60Csx firmware has been very stable since 3.30. The fixes since have been relatively minor bug fixes.

If you can't buy it on ebay, it can't be bought.

If you can't buy it on ebay, it can't be bought.

But a temporary, spare, backup GPS can be bought while your master unit is in for repairs.

I have several spares just for the eventuality that my real GPS suffers a crippeling accident. But I woukdn't want to have to rely on any of the other GPS's I have for any length of time.

But a temporary, spare, backup GPS can be bought while your master unit is in for repairs.

True, and with the return policies of some stores, you could possibly even return it [the temporary backup GPSr] for a full when yours comes back after the repairs...

That's considered a dishonest transaction.

True, and with the return policies of some stores, you could possibly even return it [the temporary backup GPSr] for a full when yours comes back after the repairs...

Yeah, like Monica returning the cocktail dress claiming that she never wore it.

Within the last 10 days I read a detailed description of replacing a screen with your own piece of lexan - it may have been on a Vista but the approach would be the same as I realised as a 60Csx owner myself when I read it . If not here then on a Garmin forum. Google it - it was done for around $20.

I should add that it was step-by-step from buying the plastic, making a template, cutting the face and installing it.

Edited by reef mapper

Within the last 10 days I read a detailed description of replacing a screen with your own piece of lexan - it may have been on a Vista but the approach would be the same as I realised as a 60Csx owner myself when I read it . If not here then on a Garmin forum. Google it - it was done for around $20.

I should add that it was step-by-step from buying the plastic, making a template, cutting the face and installing it.

Making your own face and maintaining the waterproof case is an EXTREMELY difficult proposition for a home craftsman, even with a full compliment of tools.

Not necessarily. We purchased an REI Co-Op membership when we bought our GPSr from them for the sole reason that we could return the unit anytime we wanted for a full refund. We did this in case we ever wanted to upgrade from our 60CSx to a newer garmin (which hasn't happened yet and probably won't for a while). It's their store policy, no questions asked. guess it depends on the store. Not looking to make waves on the forum, just pointing out an ethical solution.

-galaP-

Edited by Galap

I'd suggest talking to Garmin again and ask the rep if it's possible to reduce the cost since it's just the plastic that's broken. Ask him if he can get the repair cost down to $60. There's a good chance they'll do it. It can't hurt to try to bargain the price. I know of one person who was successful doing that. The worst they can do is say no.

Or try to replace it yourself, that's always an option. Not one I'd be comfortable with myself, but that's just me.

Not necessarily. We purchased an REI Co-Op membership when we bought our GPSr from them for the sole reason that we could return the unit anytime we wanted for a full refund. We did this in case we ever wanted to upgrade from our 60CSx to a newer garmin (which hasn't happened yet and probably won't for a while). It's their store policy, no questions asked. guess it depends on the store. Not looking to make waves on the forum, just pointing out an ethical solution.

-galaP-

Yes really. I also have an REI membership and the return policy is for customer issues with the product. Not product rental. Yes they don't ask questions, but you're suggesting abusing the policy for other purposes other than intended for. Your solution is unethical.

Edited by TotemLake

-galaP-

When you walked out with the item, was it understood by them that you might return it after several months of use regardless of the fact that it was defect free?

For example, I bought an LCD TV at Best Buy with their understanding that one dead pixel and it would be back for a no questions asked refund. Had they said: "No", I'd have been on my way to Circuit City.

Now I'm quite open minded, so I'll be convinced when you try this and report back:

1. Buy a jacket at REI,

2. Wear for a week and then wash it,

3. Repeat no. 2 six times and then return it......................

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

-galaP-

When you walked out with the item, was it understood by them that you might return it after several months of use regardless of the fact that it was defect free?

For example, I bought an LCD TV at Best Buy with their understanding that one dead pixel and it would be back for a no questions asked refund. Had they said: "No", I'd have been on my way to Circuit City.

Now I'm quite open minded, so I'll be convinced when you try this and report back:

1. Buy a jacket at REI,

Actually Cowboy, their return policy is very liberal and they will take it back even after all that. I can even cite a return a little less than a year ago on a purchase that was made over 40 years ago. However, your point is well made. The suggestion is unethical and is using a return policy like a long term rental. While I don't mind the long term policy on good faith purchases where the product doesn't live up to expectations, I'm irked by people that use it for the purpose as suggested.

Actually Cowboy, their return policy is very liberal and they will take it back even after all that. I can even cite a return a little less than a year ago on a purchase that was made over 40 years ago. However, your point is well made. The suggestion is unethical and is using a return policy like a long term rental. While I don't mind the long term policy on good faith purchases where the product doesn't live up to expectations, I'm irked by people that use it for the purpose as suggested.

Hey, TL, that's totally acceptable to me if such is their policy. Had that detail been noted, however, I would not have posed my hypothetical response. I just find it prudent to discuss it with them before my credit card comes out.

OK, over and out. I'm off to REI to buy some stuff. :rolleyes:

Actually, they've rehabbed an old shopping center about 2 miles away and an REI went in there. Unfortunately, it is still an economic disaster and afer an initial fill to about 50%, now the stores are closing faster than they can garner replacements. I do hope REI hangs on, though.

Hey, TL, that's totally acceptable to me if such is their policy. Had that detail been noted, however, I would not have posed my hypothetical response. I just find it prudent to discuss it with them before my credit card comes out.

OK, over and out. I'm off to REI to buy some stuff. :rolleyes:

Actually, they've rehabbed an old shopping center about 2 miles away and an REI went in there. Unfortunately, it is still an economic disaster and afer an initial fill to about 50%, now the stores are closing faster than they can garner replacements. I do hope REI hangs on, though.

It's because of their return policy I shop there first. I've been a member since 1990. Everybody else gets my hand-me-down shopping. :santa: I've had the opportunity to take my Jet Boil in fully expecting to return it for a replacement. The piezo cracked in the middle of a long camping weekend. They repaired it on the spot and handed me the stove with the rest of the repair kit. I promptly went to that section and bought another repair kit as my backup. Their customer service rocks and if they don't know the answer, they typically try to find someone that can help.

I also understand if you expect to work there, you need to commit two years to them because you go through some extensive product training.

Edited by TotemLake

1. Buy a jacket at REI,

How about this... buy a jacket, wear it for a year of skiing; think its good. Go skiing in Alta where the windchill is -40oF; notice that it leaks wind; get super upset; return it to REI upon your return after 2yrs. They took it back no questions asked. I told them it leaked and I was pissed. I promptly got another jacket from them and its been great for a few years already. I also brought back and backpack that was 20yrs old because the zipper broke. I was upset when they said they couldn't fix it and just gave me credit so I could get a new backpack. It was a great backpack. I also returned a pair of pants after a year of ski patrolling because they didn't meet my expectations; they questioned that one but after I explained that my previous pants still worked after 3 years and that I had better expectations of REI gear; they hesitated and and I said "hey, its a satisfaction guarantee and I am not satisfied. Problem solved they took it back and I got a new pair of pants from them. I have a lot of stuff from REI and love it.

On the other hand when things wear out I don't return them. I just return things that fail.

1. Buy a jacket at REI,

How about this... buy a jacket, wear it for a year of skiing; think its good. Go skiing in Alta where the windchill is -40oF; notice that it leaks wind; get super upset; return it to REI upon your return after 2yrs. They took it back no questions asked. I told them it leaked and I was pissed. I promptly got another jacket from them and its been great for a few years already. I also brought back and backpack that was 20yrs old because the zipper broke. I was upset when they said they couldn't fix it and just gave me credit so I could get a new backpack. It was a great backpack. I also returned a pair of pants after a year of ski patrolling because they didn't meet my expectations; they questioned that one but after I explained that my previous pants still worked after 3 years and that I had better expectations of REI gear; they hesitated and and I said "hey, its a satisfaction guarantee and I am not satisfied. Problem solved they took it back and I got a new pair of pants from them. I have a lot of stuff from REI and love it.

On the other hand when things wear out I don't return them. I just return things that fail.

10-4, you've answered my question. You ask replacement for failed items. You don't expect replacement for worn out items that were otherwise satisfactory.

Neither of these match the case to which TL originally commented: Buying something that you were satisfied with, knew that it would meet your expectations, with the assumption that you'd use it for a while and then return it - somewhat like an equipment rental without a rental fee.

While this threadjack has been most entertaining, I thought I'd come back with an update.

NO SCREEN FOR YOU! I guess they are made of unobtainium.

I've fixed it myself wiht a 5 step process called wet-dry sandpaper. It looks like new, and has a brand new shiny Incredible Shield on it.

I'm still miffed that these guys wanted 2 weeks and $150 to replace a screen. It's not even an LCD replacement, just the protective cover.

While this threadjack has been most entertaining, I thought I'd come back with an update.

I've fixed it myself wiht a 5 step process called wet-dry sandpaper. It looks like new, and has a brand new shiny Incredible Shield on it.

I'm still miffed that these guys wanted 2 weeks and $150 to replace a screen. It's not even an LCD replacement, just the protective cover.

Excellent news!

Whew! :)