Be on the look out in a cache near YOU!

Mama Cache

No doubt :-) And no matter how much I stalk the TD profile, I've got my little one who has indicated he is not enthusiastic about coin chasing, so that might be my only hope of even seeing one of these.

You tell him..."YOUR GONNA CHASE COINS WITH ME AND YOUR GONNA LIKE IT!!! Ask him "You wanna be just a Zinn?...We can take the Mighty right off your name!"..."Now lets go get that coin!" If that doesnt work finish him off with "THIS IS YOUR FATHER SPEAKING!!!"

:D:D:D I can relate... but for me, its the Old lady! :D

Hehehehe... well, this kid has happily gone on some wild coin chases with me, so I can't push my luck too much or he'll *never* want to go :D But if I look at the picture for the coin anymore, it might end up beyond my control!

I hope Brian keeps us updated as to his Oregon schedule :(

I really do want to see a demo as we are probably going to pick one up after seeing all of it's capabilities; and I'm not above begging to at least get to "discover" an Eartha geocoin :)

We're trying to keep people in the loop with Twitter... that's how the Bay Area Geocachers found me last Friday...

http://blog.delorme.com/2008/11/04/delorme-is-using-twitter/

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

I hope Brian keeps us updated as to his Oregon schedule :(

I really do want to see a demo as we are probably going to pick one up after seeing all of it's capabilities; and I'm not above begging to at least get to "discover" an Eartha geocoin :)

We're trying to keep people in the loop with Twitter... that's how the Bay Area Geocachers found me last Friday...

http://blog.delorme.com/2008/11/04/delorme-is-using-twitter/

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

Thank you; I am now a true follower! I tried to do it yesterday, but I must have been doing something wrong :P

YAAAAAHHHH!

We were the recipients of some perfecting timing this morning. We were getting ready to head out to school. Checked my email and noticed that Team DeLorme had logged a find yesterday! Who was I to not grab the coords before leaving :D

mightyzinn had a change of heart and *really* wanted to come along (after previously telling me he had no interest in a coin hunt), but no such luck. He wished me luck as I dropped him off, but not without expressing great jealously that I was heading out to Cougar Mt (he loves this area).

After making my way through rush hour traffic on 405 (never pretty), got around to making it to where I wanted to be, parked and headed out for GZ. There was some level of amusement had over the fact that my Garmin sent me unnecessarily down a wet hill before I gave up with that, expanded my search and made the find.

I enjoyed that brief, tense and exciting moment before cracking the container open. Come on, coin junkies, you know what I'm talking about! Would I find the treasure I sought or would it have left earlier with someone just a little more determined than myself... I'm not the only one who gets that, right????

Open container, lift the log and there it was. Hot dadgum (what's a dadgum!?!), that is one *hefty* beauty! Really, a *very* impressive coin. I guess I just didn't image it being this hefty B) And... wow!

When I picked up the little guy his disappointment missing the hunt was in equal proportion to how impressed he was with the coin. It spins for goodness sakes!!!!! He was one happy camper :lol::huh:

And so we had a little party with cookies and Halloween candy, the coin sitting between us, commenting how *AWESOME* this coin is while we munched away ;)

Thanks Team DeLorme for dropping one of these not *too* far away :D Can't wait to check out the PN-40 later this afternoon!

Wow... I have to say, after spending some time at a local REI tonight with Team DeLorme, if they come around, check out that PN-40! That sucker was very cool.

And then . . .

And then we went to get some food as we were all pretty hungry...? :grin:

I got to hold one of those coins in MY hands today, I must say - AWESOME - And Heavy. I was surprised to feel how heavy this coin actually was. NO, I didn't get to bring it home with me :) . But it IS Awesomely beautiful and spins

I found one Eartha coins on Sunday in Glenville, NY. It was the last cache of the afternoon and the small cache had only the coin and a small travel bug inside. I had no idea that this coin existed before yesterday. Team Delorme was the last name in the log book, and on the cache page the previous finder (not Team Delorme) stated that they left a "surprise" for the next finder. When I looked up the tracking number, I realized what a great find this was. I will admire the coin for a while and then move it along.

Wow, saw this beauty at the Geocoinfest, and I even got to hold it before the designer Chris Mackey.....carried it over to him and wow, he was even more impressed with the coin. He was thrilled that they (the mint) had been able to creat the ocean as he and the DeLorme team had envisioned it to be. Looks really natural as the world spins in circles, looking forward to seeing the new GPS asap.

Sure hoping one of these beauties makes it near my winter home in Texas

:unsure:

Well, I got to "discover" an Eartha coin, and I didn't even have to beg :unsure: It is TB2NYKZ and is still in Brian's shirt pocket. What a beautiful coin, thanks Brian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it looks like you found it again in a cache! Congrats, beautiful coin ain't it!

Yes, I saw it pop up on my radar about an hour after I got back from talking with him :D I sent hubby after it in the pouring rain crossing my fingers it was still in the cache :P It was :) It is beautiful :lol:

I did! After a couple of hours of having left the REI I checked Team Delorme's caching stats and sent hubby to scoop up the Lake Oswego cache; the Hillsboro one is still up for grabs as far as I know :D

:P BUT, I am 3 1/2 hours away plus inclement weather time :unsure: . I held one in my hands, It IS Heavy and

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L-L !!! :)

CONGRATULATIONS !

Edited by fairyhoney

Kay, headed out of work early and hopefully off to find my prize! :D

My next obstacle will be Sweetpea...I didnt put in my 24 hr call notice, so things might be shaky once I arrive home to let her know whats up!...Didnt think Id have to move so quickly, but here I am...on yet another coin hunt! Fun Fun Fun

Wish me LUCK!!! (where's Dolfy when I need her) :unsure:

You know I would have sent good luck your way if I had known! I don't always read all the threads and had no idea. Sending some of the good luck your way! :P

Just got the other one from the Portland, Oregon area cahces, "By the Boardwalk" Tons of muggle joggers out and about...had to be sneaky, sneaky. Got the Eartha geocoin...amazing piece of art work.

Gonna take him on a little road trip down towards Coos Bay next, maybe drop something off there or along the way, or not, hehehe.

If you have a chance, you HAVE to get your hands on one.

Best of luck to everyone!

Team Delorme rocks! :D

one can actually keep it if one finds it!

i saw where delorme visited a cache about 3 hours from me and left a little something. it was a travel bug and coin hotel. unfortunately the owners of the cache live right next door. talk about a gift left on your doorstep. i wasn't sure if they had picked it up so i wrote to ask - sure 'nuff they had.

now that is just too convenient for words.

at least i didn't make the three-hour drive for nothing. <_<

bummer. :anibad::blink:

rsg

one can actually keep it if one finds it!

i saw where delorme visited a cache about 3 hours from me and left a little something. it was a travel bug and coin hotel. unfortunately the owners of the cache live right next door. talk about a gift left on your doorstep. i wasn't sure if they had picked it up so i wrote to ask - sure 'nuff they had.

now that is just too convenient for words.

at least i didn't make the three-hour drive for nothing. <_<

bummer. :anibad::blink:

rsg

ya gotta know... <_< 1 was picked up by some1 with only their 1st & only find....

what is more interesting is there is no bio info, no forum posts, no other trackables and the online log was edited by eartha. wow, i didn't know mods had that kind of power and authority to edit other people's logs. i know we can edit our on logs.

>> October 29 by ssnoww (3 found)

Found it last night. picked up the DeLorme coin TB2NYTM. really cool coin!

[This entry was edited by Eartha on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 at 2:34:00 PM.]<<

cache name is Overlooking Fire station No. 4

so who IS this ssnoww - that has only two more caches to their name.

heck, if that had been my first cache with that gorgeous coin in it, i would be shouting that part out loud!

rsg

ya gotta know... :rolleyes: 1 was picked up by some1 with only their 1st & only find....

what is more interesting is there is no bio info, no forum posts, no other trackables and the online log was edited by eartha. wow, i didn't know mods had that kind of power and authority to edit other people's logs. i know we can edit our on logs.

>> October 29 by ssnoww (3 found)

Found it last night. picked up the DeLorme coin TB2NYTM. really cool coin!

[This entry was edited by Eartha on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 at 2:34:00 PM.]<<

cache name is Overlooking Fire station No. 4

so who IS this ssnoww - that has only two more caches to their name.

heck, if that had been my first cache with that gorgeous coin in it, i would be shouting that part out loud!

rsg

Verr strange :laughing: - but then nothing surprises me around here these days :anibad:

I really, really, REALLY don't think that Eartha did anything less than honest.

If you look at the thread you see that this is a new cacher and that there is a TB number listed. The biggest possibility is that the cacher put in the actual coin number instead of the TB number.

It's beginning to feel a bit like a witch hunt, ya'll.

Naomi

Edited by mousekakat

I removed the tracking number when somone reported it in the log, and replaced it with the reference number. It's one of my volunteer duties here. I've done it many times to other coins and TBs. I've also marked many a trackable missing. This one just happened to be named Delorme Eartha coin. It's as simple as that. Nothing untoward happened here. I don't go looking for these things, but when a cacher lets me know a tracking number is posted in public, I look up the reference number and exchange it in the log for the tracking number.

An email was sent to snow, with an explanation, and a link to the Groundspeak Knowledge Base, since they are a new cacher.

It went like this, and this is generally how the email sounds when I need to send one:

Hello ssnoww,

Just a quick note to let you know that posting the tracking number for geocoins in public places is not a good thing. We use the reference number instead, in this case it is: TB2NYTM for the Delorme coin you found. Also, you should "Grab it" instead of "Discovering" so that you will have it in your inventory. Here's a link to more information on trackable items.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/Support/ind...d=5&nav=0,5

It was brought up in the geocaching forums that you had found one, since people are excited about them, they discuss geocoins there, and this one is a hard to find coin since it's so new. I'm going to edit out the tracking number from your log, but in case you need it to log the grab, it is ######. I'll put the reference number in the log instead. And yes, my user name is Eartha, but I am not involved in this geocoin.

Eartha

Groundspeak Volunteer

Eartha@geocachingadmin.com

Edit to add:

Also, not all moderators can do this, I have been given the ability to do so, as part of my Travel Bug (and now geocoin) duties. We can't always reach a cacher to have them edit their logs, some never answer, so to protect the trackables, I have the ability to edit the numbers out of a log. I also have a code to follow, which means I would never mess with anyone's legitimate logs, other than to remove a tracking number, or mark a trackable missing. It's my solemn vow and promise to the caching community, and I take it very seriously.

We now return you to the Delorme geocoin thread.

Edited by Eartha

sheesh...too much drama these days. Things should be handled in private and personally first before being brought here to try and corner someone into trouble.

I had to ask the noodly one for exactly the same kind of editing to one of my coins when a new cacher insisted on posting the tracking number to it on the coins page because he thought it was a good idea to help other cachers see such tiny numbers.

Sorry for taking off topic, but things are screwy enough in the world today without causing grief in a place that is meant for enjoyment.

Okay, so now back on topic....WHEN (lol) one of these lovely coins gets placed into one of our caches will we get a notice of it so we can race off and get it ??

Edited by BVnLJ

If you look at the thread you see that this is a new cacher and that there is a TB number listed. The biggest possibility is that the cacher put in the actual coin number instead of the TB number.

Naomi

:anibad: Witch hunt :rolleyes: - I hardly think so. I used to be paranoid, now I'm sure everyone thinks I am :laughing:

In my experience when logs get edited, particularly someone other than the creator of a log, the reason is given. In this case it was not and gives just cause to wonder exactly what had been edited. Eartha has given a perfectly understandable explanation - had a wee note been added to the log to say that this was edited to remove the tracking number the question would never have come up.

Now back to checking Team DeLorme's trackables list to see where these beauties are popping up, witch is the only hunting going on here :anibad:

sheesh...too much drama these days. Things should be handled in private and personally first before being brought here to try and corner someone into trouble.

I had to ask the noodly one for exactly the same kind of editing to one of my coins when a new cacher insisted on posting the tracking number to it on the coins page because he thought it was a good idea to help other cachers see such tiny numbers.

Sorry for taking off topic, but things are screwy enough in the world today without causing grief in a place that is meant for enjoyment.

Okay, so now back on topic....WHEN (lol) one of these lovely coins gets placed into one of our caches will we get a notice of it so we can race off and get it ??

Sorry to have to add IF and when one gets dropped into one of your caches, you will only get notified IF the drop gets logged, and from looking at previous logs it would seem they are being logged into caches, but there again some may get placed without being logged, you just never know these days :laughing:

Naomi

:rolleyes: Witch hunt :anibad: - I hardly think so. I used to be paranoid, now I'm sure everyone thinks I am :laughing:

In my experience when logs get edited, particularly someone other than the creator of a log, the reason is given. In this case it was not and gives just cause to wonder exactly what had been edited. Eartha has given a perfectly understandable explanation - had a wee note been added to the log to say that this was edited to remove the tracking number the question would never have come up.

Now back to checking Team DeLorme's trackables list to see where these beauties are popping up, witch is the only hunting going on here :ph34r:

I guess the best thing to do in the future is to check out the thread to see if there are answers to our pondering and questions. If there is one, like in this case.

I (like many others ) do not state why a log was edited when I do that. It would just bring attention to my terrible typing and spelling skills!

It appears to me the best way to get one of these coins is to go the DeLorme Earthmate Demo's. They seem to be going to all the big outdoor recreation stores. They are great people and love to meet you.

Perhaps you can say "Are you glad to see me? Or is that eartha in your pocket?" :anibad:

Edited by Mama Cache

I guess the best thing to do in the future is to check out the thread to see if there are answers to our pondering and questions. If there is one, like in this case.

I (like many others ) do not state why a log was edited when I do that. It would just bring attention to my terrible typing and spelling skills!

It appears to me the best way to get one of these coins is to go the DeLorme Earthmate Demo's. They seem to be going to all the big outdoor recreation stores. They are great people and love to meet you.

Perhaps you can say "Are you glad to see me? Or is that eartha in your pocket?" :laughing:

oh that's a good one! i thought i did check the thread but obviously i missed something. my bad.

rsg

Last week I heard a rumor that a rep from Team DeLorme was going to be in Boise. I wasn't sure where or when it was going to be until I got a frantic call from Loridarlin Friday morning telling me to get my butt down to REI. I hurried down there & we had a nice and long visit with Greg of Team DeLorme. He showed us a demo of the PN-40 GPS, it's really cool, both Lori & I definately want one. Shortly after we arrived Pabloturtle arrived too.

Greg had a couple of hours to kill before he had an appointment at Cabelas so we decided to take him caching. First cache we took him to turned out to be archived, oops, that was my fault. And on the second cache we went to Lori tried to kill us all but we managed to survive, barely :D Greg found the cache and sadly informed us he only had one coin left :D We probably stood around for 5 minutes arguing who was going to take it and somehow I ended up with it. Yeah, it was me! lol Alright so I felt really bad that nobody else got a coin.

What a cool coin! It's huge & heavy & it spins. I've probably spinned that thing well over 100 times. I hope lots & lots of people are lucky enough to receive one of these great coins.

Thanks Greg & Team DeLorme (and Lori & Paul for letting me have it) :D

Edited by dorkfish

Some of the first Demo's were REI's and Cabela's. So you can count on drops being made near those locations. Would figure that any major retailers that carry their GPS's will get a visit.

We went to the demo in NJ. The coin was never mentioned and when I asked the rep he said he had 1 coin and it would be placed in a 30 mile area for NJ & PA (just came from a PN-40 demo there)...Lot's O' caches in that circle...

...not a prayer of seeing that...!

Last week I heard a rumor that a rep from Team DeLorme was going to be in Boise. I wasn't sure where or when it was going to be until I got a frantic call from Loridarlin Friday morning telling me to get my butt down to REI. I hurried down there & we had a nice and long visit with Greg of Team DeLorme. He showed us a demo of the PN-40 GPS, it's really cool, both Lori & I definately want one. Shortly after we arrived Pabloturtle arrived too.

Greg had a couple of hours to kill before he had an appointment at Cabelas so we decided to take him caching. First cache we took him to turned out to be archived, oops, that was my fault. And on the second cache we went to Lori tried to kill us all but we managed to survive, barely :D Greg found the cache and sadly informed us he only had one coin left :D We probably stood around for 5 minutes arguing who was going to take it and somehow I ended up with it. Yeah, it was me! lol Alright so I felt really bad that nobody else got a coin.

What a cool coin! It's huge & heavy & it spins. I've probably spinned that thing well over 100 times. It's very cool and if anyone wants to discover it just send me an email. I hope lots & lots of people are lucky enough to receive one of these great coins.

Thanks Greg & Team DeLorme (and Lori & Paul for letting me have it) :D

You gals needed the fix more than I did. Almost fell down the hill watching you two. lmao

Besides I'm more than happy with my new DeLorme PN-20. Can't find caches with a coin. Besides I could always drive down and grab one from.................................. I'm not telling.