Be on the look out in a cache near YOU!

Mama Cache

ya gotta know... :o 1 was picked up by some1 with only their 1st & only find....

How exciting to find something that special on your first find. ;)

No doubt, that would be cool to find on one's first find!

I think that it would be a shame if they kept caching but dropped the coin only to have the next finder keep and later regretted moving the coin if they got into geocoins.

Ah - another DeLorme coin released in CA. TB2NYTM is the coin so you can read the posts. Seems DeLorme staff are in CA doing demos on their new PN40.

The coin appears to have been found in a cache (GCJT8K) - (newbie posted the tracking number) - grabbed by them on the coin, posted they found it, but still showing as inventory on the cache page. Funny, I saw it dropped into that cache after it was grabbed by the cacher - but that post disappeared as quickly as it appeared.

Anyway,

Good Luck all!

The other coin which was grabbed yesterday is TB2NYTQ so you may track it. Enjoy!

Thanks for the heads up, log has been edited, and the new cacher has been sent a nice message with links for the knowledge base, and an explanation about tracking numbers.

ya gotta know... 1 was picked up by some1 with only their 1st & only find....

It wasn't really luck, he met Chip Noble of Delorme at REI at a demo, and was shown equipment, how to find a cache and went to the cache they told him about that was near his home. It was just luck that he was interested in the demo and geocaching. We all had to start somewhere, didn't we? We can't automatically start off with 100 finds and 10 hides. We have to start at 1.

It appears another coin has been dropped TB2NYR8.

Two cachers logged it as discovered (looks like they might be from San Jose and Santa Clara) at an unposted "event" in celebration of a cachers achievement - Workerofwood's 5000th cache find.

For those of you wondering - NO - I do not have inside connections with DeLorme. Just am able to spend a lot of time on the computer.

Count is 250 to release - 1 in Maine, 3 in California - 246 to go. According to my unofficial count.

Edited by hollora

2 in cali so far, and Im watchin!!! Checked the other day when they were dropped and so far no more action in Cali since... Maybe they havent left town quite yet :yikes:

Very nice lookin coins if I do say so myself... Im goin for all the worldly coins in my collection :D

Speaking of watchers~ Its funny to check the coin listings...the first coin has 18 watchers, then dwindles down through the list...seems as though all have at least 4 watchers, must be Team Delorme keepin track of their treasures! :D

Very interesting, I will continue to keep an eye out for one of these in my hood...AND IT EVEN SAYS YOU CAN KEEP EM RIGHT IN THE DESCRIPTION!!!! :laughing::laughing::laughing: ... :blink:

I wanted to share the coin find story to anyone who may want to read it.

I work for a retailer that's corporate offices are in the next town up form where DeLorme is located. I don't always work in that town but I was the day the coin came out. I got a couple of alerts that a coin had been placed so I left work and ran down to the cache site (don't tell my boss).

The cache the coin was in is on DeLorme property on the edge of a big field. When I got there I saw a few people playing Frisbee right next to the caceh. I went around through the woods to get to the cache and when I got there I looked up and everyone was leaving. I figured there break was over and they were headed back to work, but when I signed the log there was a note asking that whoever picked up the coin come into the store so they DeLorme team could meet them.

In the store I got to meet a few of the team and had a nice chat. they took my picture next to Eartha. They told me they would be placing the coins as they traveled around the country.

I was very fortunate to get one of the coins, they are very cool.

I work for a retailer that's corporate offices are in the next town up form where DeLorme is located. I don't always work in that town but I was the day the coin came out. I got a couple of alerts that a coin had been placed so I left work and ran down to the cache site (don't tell my boss).

The cache the coin was in is on DeLorme property on the edge of a big field. When I got there I saw a few people playing Frisbee right next to the caceh. I went around through the woods to get to the cache and when I got there I looked up and everyone was leaving. I figured there break was over and they were headed back to work, but when I signed the log there was a note asking that whoever picked up the coin come into the store so they DeLorme team could meet them.

In the store I got to meet a few of the team and had a nice chat. they took my picture next to Eartha. They told me they would be placing the coins as they traveled around the country.

Congrats and thanks for sharing the story :yikes: That was great that you got to meet some of the team after!

Thanks for coming to the GC.com forums to share TR. You folks have the Best logs for discovering coins and are great team players. I was happy to give you an "alert". Cache on - Cache happy!

WOW, Congrats indeed Team richards!

So I am a little bewildered here... First I thought that coins were dropped at the caches they found, but only 4 have been logged. Funny thing is that Team Delorme didnt log any of them into the caches!

Funnier thing is that the coin found in SF was found in a cache that they never found :mad: ...or havent logged yet.

I think this is gonna be a hard one to figure out where to go to get one of these beauts! B) ...Im workin on it and as soon as I get a close enough lead...IM THERE! Im tellin Sweetpea Im On-Call 24 hrs a day till can hold an Eartha in my hand! ;)

Thanks for the fun Team Delorme! Great to read others discovery!...Oh you just wait for mine :mad: (thats called positive thinkin :) )

Team Delorme just posted a not on the one that I had discovered in San Jose, CA at our un-event for WorkerofWood. They released it into "a friend of Team Delorme's hands". So some are getting put into caches and others are making their way into the hands of key individuals (ie. REI outdoors training people). They may be showing up darn near anywhere. If there are any events coming up keep your eyes out.

WOW! The cache in SF where the last coin was found is less than 2 miles away from my house! I hope so much that I will be able to get one of these beauties and it's getting closer and closer to me. If only the caches were logged right after they were found...

Dang Dude! ...Well, Looks like they logged it! :mad: Day Late and a Dollar short this time my friend, I wish you the very best of luck for another SF drop...Race ya to Santa Rosa! :mad:

Doin my darndest to head out of this hole and make the 100 mile journey...Better get CRACKIN! :);)B) Wish me luck that Im even able to make it, Im doin my best and will try to be on the way soon!

Doin my darndest to head out of this hole and make the 100 mile journey...Better get CRACKIN! :sad::D:D Wish me luck that Im even able to make it, Im doin my best and will try to be on the way soon!

Kay, headed out of work early and hopefully off to find my prize! :D

My next obstacle will be Sweetpea...I didnt put in my 24 hr call notice, so things might be shaky once I arrive home to let her know whats up!...Didnt think Id have to move so quickly, but here I am...on yet another coin hunt! Fun Fun Fun

Wish me LUCK!!! (where's Dolfy when I need her) ;)

Doin my darndest to head out of this hole and make the 100 mile journey...Better get CRACKIN! :sad::D:D Wish me luck that Im even able to make it, Im doin my best and will try to be on the way soon!

Kay, headed out of work early and hopefully off to find my prize! :D

My next obstacle will be Sweetpea...I didnt put in my 24 hr call notice, so things might be shaky once I arrive home to let her know whats up!...Didnt think Id have to move so quickly, but here I am...on yet another coin hunt! Fun Fun Fun

Wish me LUCK!!! (where's Dolfy when I need her) ;)

I got home, saw my little EmmaGem swingin in her swing with mama and knew even as I was drivin home, this mission wouldnt fly today :D ...Its Halloween! :D ~EmmaGems 1st! :D Found out we gots plans at 4:00 (as of today) so no way of makin the grab and bein home before 6:00 for the Enchanted Pumpkin patch without bein a total SCHMUCK! It was an easy choice to make and tomorrow me, Sweetpea and EmmaGem are headed for the find! :D

So I still need your luck, cuz that baby is sittin, just a waiting for a lucky cacher...Who will it be??? :D

I got home, saw my little EmmaGem swingin in her swing with mama and knew even as I was drivin home, this mission wouldnt fly today :D ...Its Halloween! :D ~EmmaGems 1st! ;) Found out we gots plans at 4:00 (as of today) so no way of makin the grab and bein home before 6:00 for the Enchanted Pumpkin patch without bein a total SCHMUCK! It was an easy choice to make and tomorrow me, Sweetpea and EmmaGem are headed for the find! :D

So I still need your luck, cuz that baby is sittin, just a waiting for a lucky cacher...Who will it be??? :sad:

THANKS for giving us a chance to get it before you. If I leave right now, I'll be there in 3 days to get it. WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF IT STILL BEING THERE?

Good luck getting it tomorrow and CONGRATULATIONS on making the best choice.

I got home, saw my little EmmaGem swingin in her swing with mama and knew even as I was drivin home, this mission wouldnt fly today :( ...Its Halloween! :D ~EmmaGems 1st! :) Found out we gots plans at 4:00 (as of today) so no way of makin the grab and bein home before 6:00 for the Enchanted Pumpkin patch without bein a total SCHMUCK! It was an easy choice to make and tomorrow me, Sweetpea and EmmaGem are headed for the find! :D

So I still need your luck, cuz that baby is sittin, just a waiting for a lucky cacher...Who will it be??? :rolleyes:

Good luck, Dave!

I found a DeLorme Eartha in a cache yesterday. Team DeLorme had been there the day before so the coins are not always picked up right away. Hope you, Sweetpea and EmmaGem make the lucky find.

The coin is really unique. Beautiful design, Chris! Thanks, Team DeLorme!

After taking the kids trick or treating last night, I came home and saw that there might be a coin in a cache not to far away. Though it was late I decided to go for it. Found a coin :) and traded for a unactivated one. Got back home about a half hour before the clouds really opened up. It's a beautiful coin, and made for a fun midnight adventure.

Yes a very nice coin you have their Delorme. If want to send me one and I would drop it in Western PA. :) Or stop by here and put it in one of my caches.

Thanks

Would just love to move one of these along.

I also like your PN-20 & PN-40 GPSr. May be thinking about one or the other soon.

Thanks

kf4oox - Paul

Thanks Everyone...We made the 100 mile round trip this morning. Found that Big ol Urban cache and unfortunatley for me, the coin was grabbed by Kusanagi last night. I KNEW I SHOULDA WENT!!!... Sweetpea will NEVER live this one down! :)

Havent been denied on a coin hunt yet and let me tell ya... for all who seek, I hope its there for ya!...Sweetpea kept asking "whats wrong?" on the way home. She just will never understand how we are so nuts over these things! :D WHY IS IT SO!!! :D

Just checked all my other options after getting back and well...There aint none- was already to beat feet and head to Sac, to find Rivercity swooped up Eartha at the Sacramento Bee!

So congrats to you two... I hope the hunt was great and treasure found will be admired by many, maybe ill have a chance to see it one day at an event.

Till Next Time~

CACHE HARD and CACHE ON! Eagerly awaiting another Norcal drop with fingers crossed! :rolleyes: Im watchin and ready! :(

:):rolleyes::(

Thanks for the support buddy! :D ... He deserves every little bit of joy that coin brings! I am happy for him and glad he was able to make the grab... We gots Mystery History together :D ... :D

They'll be other coins! :D Shoot...who knows, there may even be another cali drop! We're a big state! :) But id say they came through, Left their mark and now ON WITH THE SHOW! :D

Where's next??? :D

Good Luck to all and Congrats to the Lucky finders! :D

Thanks Team Delorme!!!

Edited by 007BigD

Thanks Everyone...We made the 100 mile round trip this morning. Found that Big ol Urban cache and unfortunatley for me, the coin was grabbed by Kusanagi last night. I KNEW I SHOULDA WENT!!!... Sweetpea will NEVER live this one down! :)

Havent been denied on a coin hunt yet and let me tell ya... for all who seek, I hope its there for ya!...Sweetpea kept asking "whats wrong?" on the way home. She just will never understand how we are so nuts over these things! :ph34r: WHY IS IT SO!!! :ph34r:

Just checked all my other options after getting back and well...There aint none- was already to beat feet and head to Sac, to find Rivercity swooped up Eartha at the Sacramento Bee!

So congrats to you two... I hope the hunt was great and treasure found will be admired by many, maybe ill have a chance to see it one day at an event.

Till Next Time~

CACHE HARD and CACHE ON! Eagerly awaiting another Norcal drop with fingers crossed! :ph34r: Im watchin and ready! :ph34r:

Sorry to hear you missed it :ph34r:

Wow, I'm very excited to see how interested people are in the Eartha geocoin! We worked with HogWild for almost a year trying to get our design just right... I can't tell you how cool it was to see the first coin picked up 15 minutes after we posted that it had been released! You geocachers keep surprising us with how passionate you are about all things geocaching!

As others have pointed out... we're releasing coins in several ways... I'll list them here...

-We'll drop a coin off in each major city as we travel on business. We just had six people traveling to do training at all of the REI stores where we will be selling the Earthmate PN-40. I dropped coins in 4 locations around the San Francisco Bay Area. Others were dropped in southern California... others in the mid-west and the south.

-We're sending some out as promotional items for special geocachers... "Friends of DeLorme"... beta testers and the like. I include this bullet since I saw a countdown of coin releases going on and I wanted to be up front that not all 250 will be released into the wild through geocaches.

-An option for everyone... we've received permission from Geocaching.com to create a website to celebrate the release of our new GPS device and some of the cool things we'll be doing with gc.com. We'll be building off our existing www.delorme.com/geocaching page so check in from time to time, it should be ready soon. The point of this bullet is that we're going to have a drawing for Eartha geocoins, Serious Tool t-shirts (our PN-40 marketing campaign at www.getserioustool.com), and even some Earthmate PN-40s!

Note that there's no link to the DeLorme geocaching page from our home page, we wanted to keep this a secret just for geocachers that have either found a coin or heard about it through this forum. This should keep the coins in the hands of those that know what a geocoin is and might want to share them for Discovery by others!

Hopefully this sheds some light on how the coins are going to be distributed...

In terms of how we're logging our releases... when someone from DeLorme goes on business or vacation we're giving them a geocoin to place in a cache. When they've found a cache and dropped off a coin they send me the cache name and I log the find and update the Eartha geocoin page with a PN-40 screenshot showing where it was dropped off. I was traveling last week so I fell behind a little... only updated the Eartha coins I left in Northern California. I'll be updating the rest of the Eartha pages soon. I can see the frustration of watching a coin only to find it was picked up by someone else who found it before it was posted as released, I'll try to be timelier with my updates.

Thanks again for all the interest in our new coin; we'll do our best to get them distributed around the country quickly! Keep an eye out for a release in your area...

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

-An option for everyone... we've received permission from Geocaching.com to create a website to celebrate the release of our new GPS device and some of the cool things we'll be doing with gc.com. We'll be building off our existing www.delorme.com/geocaching page so check in from time to time, it should be ready soon. The point of this bullet is that we're going to have a drawing for Eartha geocoins, Serious Tool t-shirts (our PN-40 marketing campaign at www.getserioustool.com), and even some Earthmate PN-40s!

You guys are just full of fun and games! :)

I realize the geocaching page is a work in progress, but I noticed that it's showing the PN-20 at the PN-40 pricing (by the time someone got to ordering one, the PN-20 price would be operative).

Thanks for the info Chip! We're super excited to try and track down a coin, but not always the fastest in the bunch with a 5 year old leading the way (unless he makes me carry him on my shoulders, which I suppose he usually does!), so that info is useful :)

I am interested in finding out if Team DeLorme's stops at REIs and such are opportunities for one on one with a PN-40 and to ask some specific questions regarding the unit. After yet another hike in the dark with a mostly useless Garmin Vista HCx tracklog my wife and I are looking for something that doesn't seem so bent on sending me off into certain DOOOOM. The PN-40 looks so much prettier than a 60csx :)

I know one of our local Geocacher/friend of Delorme also works at REi in the Outdoor school, and He and Delorme are doing demos at one in Fremont, CA. So I would check your local REi and maybe some other outdoor stores to see if they are coming. This friend is the one who I was able to "discover" Eartha from.

You are most certainly encouraged to stop in during one of our store visits. We're trying hard to make our schedules available... sometimes plans come together late but you can read about different sales trips on our forums as we're looking to post more of this info.

http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=15910

I actually announced my visit at REI Saratoga using http://twitter.com (we're DeLormeGPS) and had five geocachers show up to check out the device. It was a great visit and gave me a chance to bounce some geocaching ideas off some very knowledgeable cachers! Keep an eye on that Twitter account; it might be a good mechanism for early Eartha coin announcements!

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

Copied from DeLorme Forum.

"Hey all, I will be starting my leg of the PN-40 road show next week. I will be covering the states of Washington and Oregon.

Naturally, all of this is subject to scheduling changes, but I figured I would let folks know of my current store visit plan in case someone wants to stop by a store while I'm there.

11/3- 10am @ REI Spokane, WA / "midday" @ Cabela's Post Falls, ID

11/4- am @ REI Bellingham, WA / ?pm @ REI Alderwood, WA

11/5- am somewhere (not firmed up yet)/ 2pm @ REI Issaquah, WA

11/6- 11am @ REI Seattle, WA / ?pm @ REI Redmond, WA

11/7- 10am @ REI Tacoma, WA / 2pm @ Cabela's Lacey, WA

At some point in there I'm headed for Groundspeak HQ as well...

The dates and times for the Oregon leg of the trip are just starting to come together... I'll post them later on. I will be visiting the REI's in Portland, Tualatin, Hillsboro, Clackamas, and Bend.

Stop by and introduce yourself if any of you make it to a store while I'm there! It would be great to meet any of you."

In case we don't make it to your town, you can enter to win an Eartha geocoin now...

http://www.delorme.com/geocaching/

Check out the page for other prizes... good luck!

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

DONE... :D

My heart was broken once already, I now have another Ray of light!... Please dont hurt me again, even 007 agents hearts are dainty like flowers on a cold autumn day! :D - :D

Shall we enter the contest once a month??? OH and can we ask silly questions about functions of the PN-20 and PN-40 on your forums??? :o

Ahhh, I can now sleep again knowing at least THERE IS A CHANCE!!! :D:DB)

Thanks again Team DeLorme! I just wanna see it!!!!!...You take Bribes??? :ph34r:

I hope Brian keeps us updated as to his Oregon schedule :D

I really do want to see a demo as we are probably going to pick one up after seeing all of it's capabilities; and I'm not above begging to at least get to "discover" an Eartha geocoin :D

No doubt :-) And no matter how much I stalk the TD profile, I've got my little one who has indicated he is not enthusiastic about coin chasing, so that might be my only hope of even seeing one of these.

No doubt :-) And no matter how much I stalk the TD profile, I've got my little one who has indicated he is not enthusiastic about coin chasing, so that might be my only hope of even seeing one of these.

You tell him..."YOUR GONNA CHASE COINS WITH ME AND YOUR GONNA LIKE IT!!! Ask him "You wanna be just a Zinn?...We can take the Mighty right off your name!"..."Now lets go get that coin!" If that doesnt work finish him off with "THIS IS YOUR FATHER SPEAKING!!!"

:D:D:D I can relate... but for me, its the Old lady! :D