Is this the beginning of the end of the Colorado?

Just got the latest sale email from EMS and they have the 400t on sale for $399 - a $200 or 33% decrease from their recent retail. Are we seeing Garmin abandoning us?

Anniebananie

REI lowered the price on the Colorados a while back (4 weeks?). Looks like Oregon is the 'flagship' model right now.

I bought the 400T for $400 a couple of months back.

Retailers and manufacturers move prices around to drive the consumer. It's well known that retailers believe the consumer will not come through this shopping season. Garmin is offering rebates just like camera manufacturers do the same thing all the time.

To answer the question in the thread title - No, it's not the beginning of the end of the Colorado. That happened when the Oregon was developed. It's the middle of the end.

I guess that the 60CSx is dead then since it is sold at a very discounted price wrt the original cost which was $595 ( in Canada ) - it now sells for $329 ( again in Canada ... I didn't bother searching for the cheapest price ).

Why is any of this a surprise?

From computers to vacuum cleaners to pickup trucks, as new models come onto the market, manufacturers and vendors mark down the prices of their older stuff, both to (1) respond to reduced consumer demand, and (2) to clean out inventory.

The Oregon is Garmin's latest for the handheld market. No surprise that Colorado prices go down as a result. The Colorado has had some problems. Garmin and vendors reduce the Colorado prices to (1) make the problems more palatable to consumers, and (2) clean out the supply chain inventories of Colorados.

My "old" 60Cx does what I need well enough to keep me from considering anything newer. I don't cache, I don't use it very much in the car. I use it with 24k Topo maps for hiking, and there is no other, or newer, gpsr out there that improves on the 60Cx for hiking. No, you don't really need the magnetic compass or barometric altimeter of the 60CSx. Just walk 20 feet to get the compass, and just get a good satellite fix with the sensitive Sirf receiver to get a good 3D altitude.

To answer the question in the thread title - No, it's not the beginning of the end of the Colorado. That happened when the Oregon was developed. It's the middle of the end.

I guess that the 60CSx is dead then since it is sold at a very discounted price wrt the original cost which was $595 ( in Canada ) - it now sells for $329 ( again in Canada ... I didn't bother searching for the cheapest price ).

The 60CSx is several years old. The CO has only been out for a few months. Hardy a fair comparison.

looks like DeLorme is headed the same way. I just bought my new PN-20 a year ago and now they are releasing the PN-40 which will make the 20 obsolete. I so want the 40 now though!

I just bought my PN-20 a few weeks ago! I knew about the PN-40, but got the refurb PN-20 from tigergps.com instead, since the price was cheap enough to make it worthwhile, and I kind of wanted to see how I like the DeLorme Earthmate series before spending $400 on one. But I really like my PN-20, and will probably be selling it very soon and getting a PN-40.

As for the Colorado price drop, it's to be expected, it has been upstaged by the Oregon, and they can't expect people to pay almost the same price for them both, it takes the "premium" appeal away from the Oregon, which is pretty clearly the new flagship model. Nothing wrong with a price drop, especially if you are looking to buy!