Advice from experienced cachers please

I'm very new to geocaching (been doing it for 6 weeks), and love it. Today I was browsing the site for some caches to plan for the coming weekend, and realised I've already found all the caches within walking distance from my house. Any future caching expedition will need some driving and/or cycling and/or a bus/train journey. Carrying on like this, I can forsee a time when the nearest unfound cache will be a considerable distance away.

To those of you with hundreds and even thousands of bagged caches, what do you do? Do you save some nearby caches "for a rainy day", or start with your nearest and methodically work outwards (IYSWIM)? Do you deliberately plan weekend trips to bag caches further away? Do you get withdrawal symptoms if you want to cache but there are no unfound ones for miles around? And what's the placement rate of new caches, is it likely that lots of new nearby ones will appear within a few months?

Thanks in advance!

I'm very new to geocaching (been doing it for 6 weeks), and love it. Today I was browsing the site for some caches to plan for the coming weekend, and realised I've already found all the caches within walking distance from my house. Any future caching expedition will need some driving and/or cycling and/or a bus/train journey. Carrying on like this, I can forsee a time when the nearest unfound cache will be a considerable distance away.

To those of you with hundreds and even thousands of bagged caches, what do you do? Do you save some nearby caches "for a rainy day", or start with your nearest and methodically work outwards (IYSWIM)? Do you deliberately plan weekend trips to bag caches further away? Do you get withdrawal symptoms if you want to cache but there are no unfound ones for miles around? And what's the placement rate of new caches, is it likely that lots of new nearby ones will appear within a few months?

Thanks in advance!

I've been trying to clear Exmoor for ages and new caches keep on appearing (it's not a very cache dense area) so don't worry, some more will be along soon I'm sure.

Other than that I tend to take weekend trips away for caching. If I want a binge I'll pick a cache dense area and bag a load, or I might just go and find a few that interest me somewhere nice.

Philip

I can forsee a time when the nearest unfound cache will be a considerable distance away.

It'll never happen!

I've already found all the caches within walking distance from my house.

Walking Distance??!? I once cleared out to nearly 20 miles (having found less than 100 caches!) - but I only have to go 5 miles or so these days. Wait and see what you're saying in a year's time. You'll hardly be able to move in Birmingham for the mound of tupperware... :D<_<

Carrying on like this, I can forsee a time when the nearest unfound cache will be a considerable distance away.

In a large city such as Birmingham, you should be OK. It's more of a problem in rural areas. My nearest unfound cache is 25 miles away and only a couple of new ones appear every month.

To those of you with hundreds and even thousands of bagged caches, what do you do? Do you save some nearby caches "for a rainy day", or start with your nearest and methodically work outwards (IYSWIM)? Do you deliberately plan weekend trips to bag caches further away? Do you get withdrawal symptoms if you want to cache but there are no unfound ones for miles around?

Yes to all of that! <_<

Edited by Fuchsiamagic

I'm up to a grand total of 47 <_< but have only been doing it for a few months.

I try and build my caching into my everyday life. So if I have to travel anywhere I'll sort out some caches along the route or destintaion.

I'm in Paris next week on business so have a couple of caches sorted out. No idea how that's going to pan out but be an adventure.

I'm up to a grand total of 47 <_< but have only been doing it for a few months.

I try and build my caching into my everyday life. So if I have to travel anywhere I'll sort out some caches along the route or destintaion.

I'm in Paris next week on business so have a couple of caches sorted out. No idea how that's going to pan out but be an adventure.

I've done one or two in Paris (urban micros) and from memory, they were enjoyable enough :D I'll be over there this coming weekend for the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe but I don't expect I'll have enough spare time for geocaching :D

Have a look at the GC Google map of an area you're interested in and you might be able to pick out 'clusters' of caches. If you also have a map of the area (or use Streetmap or get-a-map) you should be able to link a few up on public FPs etc to make a nice circular walk with a few caches along the way. We use Memory Map to plan our caching trips as it's great for making up 'geohikes', but it's quite an expensive option if you're new to the game. Might be an idea for your Xmas list though! <_<

Ive just hit my first 100 the other day. Me and my mate tend to go out on cycling trips. We started of gradual but now we are doing 50 mile round trips and the distance is still increasing:)

I also do the odd trip on the train and bag them that way aswell.

I live on a peninsula and so the day was always going to come when I'd found them all on here (ok, so there are in excess of 160!)

What I tend to do now is to download all the caches within about 50 miles radius and then plan a day out in a particular area... for me, that is generally North Wales and beyond. I will look at all the caches in that area and plan a route driving between say 10 - 15 caches and see how I get on. There's no need to do all the caches on the list, but I generally have a good crack at them!! This is the way I cache too when going to camping events out of my home area.

In the mean time, I have let 4 caches build up here on Wirral, and there is a bit of a N Wales invasion here on Saturday (cachers from N Wales are coming over to do a few!) and I'll mop them up with them then.

When I lived in Cheshire, I'd cleared around 9 miles around the house, and just as I cleared them, I moved back here - perfect timing!!

However you chose to do it, you'll still have bags of fun!

I must admit that we are quite lucky in as much as we are both retired (early) and can manage to spend about 7months of the year touring a region of the country in our caravan. We have just completed our first 'tour' and during that time we discovered Geocaching. We have cached in Dorset, Devon, Cornwall and now in Somerset and when we get back home we will carry on finding them there. Next year we shall visit Suffolk and Norfolk areas and possibley back to Cornwall later in the year.

Thanks in advance!

I've been trying to clear Exmoor for ages and new caches keep on appearing (it's not a very cache dense area) so don't worry, some more will be along soon I'm sure.

Other than that I tend to take weekend trips away for caching. If I want a binge I'll pick a cache dense area and bag a load, or I might just go and find a few that interest me somewhere nice.

Philip

I'm with pklong on this one. I tend to go into a cache rich area and pick them off, and sometimes I take all my clothes off when I go caching,......it's fun :P

Give me a wave if you see me on the trail?

Welcome to geocaching!

Where did pklong go?

Usually we do a combination of things ...

1. Leave some local ones for when we just have an hour free and yes there is always someone placing a new one or two locally to replenish this supply.

2. If we are travelling to visit friends/relations we set off early so we have time for a stop to pick up some caches along the way. It's great motivation to rekindle friendships with people who live in good caching areas! :P

3. If we have a day free we'll plan a day out somewhere about an hour's drive from home, making sure there are some caches to do whilst in the area.

4. We take cheap weekends away which coincide with new caching areas and combine the caching with the usual touristy things.

I use geocaching as a way of logging where I've travelled, whenever I go out of my local area I try to find at least one cache as a log of where I've been, this applies to both holiday trips miles away and to visiting nearby towns for shopping!

Whilst I've found most of the "easier" caches in my area there are still alot of puzzles I haven't solved and caches that require a longer walk that I haven't had the time to do. I'm also lucky in that there are a few very active cache placers near me, new caches will appear near you soon enough, and placing some of your own is also fun :P

The Knosh in Knowle GC14ARE Will be at 'The Wilson Arms', Warwick Road, Knowle on Wednesday 15th October, 7.00pm onwards.

But that is not the Brummie meet!!

The last BM which was organized by Team Balders and the Strangler was in the city centre

Hopefully the BM committee will post the event SOON!!!

The Anchor in Digbeth would be nice :)

Thanks everyone for all your comments.

I think in the initial honeymoon period we were spoilt for choice, if we had a spare half-hour we could sneak out and bag a cache, but now, it's going to take more time and more planning!

As winter approaches I think we're also going to have to take the weather into account - take advantage of clear dry weather to do more difficult terrain ones and ones involving lots of effort! We'll save the easier urban ones for foul weather.

Unfortunately we can't make the Knowle event, but will watch out for the next Brummie event.

The Knosh in Knowle GC14ARE Will be at 'The Wilson Arms', Warwick Road, Knowle on Wednesday 15th October, 7.00pm onwards.

But that is not the Brummie meet!!

The last BM which was organized by Team Balders and the Strangler was in the city centre

Hopefully the BM committee will post the event SOON!!!

The Anchor in Digbeth would be nice :rolleyes:

I'll second The Anchor. It is also a very cycling friendly pub and can easily be taken in on my route home! :(

The anchor biker friendly?

So its you who keeps riding through the lounge!! :rolleyes:

BTW I wasnt hinting for TB and S to organise the next one (although they did a great job of the last!) I was just making a point,or sumat!!

Edited to point out the last bit.

Edited by andynelaine

We tend to drive a couple hundred miles away, finding caches along the way.

We don't go to another city unless there are over 200 caches available for us to find.... but this is because we tend to find 100 caches in a day. We like to make a 2 or 3 day loop thru other cities caching, but then we have to log hundreds of finds when we get home.

Our favorite thing is to go to events in other cities, and find all the caches while we are there.

We have over 200 caches within 10 miles of our house that we have NOT found yet.

Yes...we are saving those for when our kids come visiting...they like to geocache too.

Hope this helps.... we have over 15,000 finds.

During the camping season with the events going on we cover quite a range of places but as that slows down we tend to pick a few select weekends and travel to areas we've not visited before using cheap Travelodges. In between those times we try to cache locally one weekend and travel to other surrounding areas for the next 2 or 3. That way we still seem to have plenty locally to go for when we don't want to go that far or have to work it round other commitments. Of course we always end up with the big hills / puzzle caches still left on the local list but it gives us something to work at.

During the camping season with the events going on we cover quite a range of places but as that slows down we tend to pick a few select weekends and travel to areas we've not visited before using cheap Travelodges. In between those times we try to cache locally one weekend and travel to other surrounding areas for the next 2 or 3. That way we still seem to have plenty locally to go for when we don't want to go that far or have to work it round other commitments. Of course we always end up with the big hills / puzzle caches still left on the local list but it gives us something to work at.

Not to mention you live in a area where one of the most prolific cache placers in the UK happens to live :)

Not to mention you live in a area where one of the most prolific cache placers in the UK happens to live :D

And I remember back in the good old days when I had cleared the N Wales coast of caches......

Marzipan (just the doggie) is coming to stay with me for the weekend this week... would it be cheating if I drove him around Marzi caches hoping he will take me straight to them???? :):):):laughing:

Not to mention you live in a area where one of the most prolific cache placers in the UK happens to live :D

You certainly have a point there. Every time we turn around there's another handful gone out. I will say that we do actually have some caches on our first page of unfounds that haven't been placed by TM. Now that does make a change! :)

And I remember back in the good old days when I had cleared the N Wales coast of caches......

Marzipan (just the doggie) is coming to stay with me for the weekend this week... would it be cheating if I drove him around Marzi caches hoping he will take me straight to them???? :):):):laughing:

Let us know and if he does we'll all start to form an orderly queue starting from the following weekend. We could pop Horrid Henry on his back and get him to carry him to all the cache sites! We're certainly a long way from clearing the coast again. :D