Need help deciding, brand new to all of this

BLIXX88

Hello all. Michael out of Portland, Oregon here. I was almost totally sold on the Garmin 60CSX for just about everything. Biking, hiking, and even basic driving instructions. I am near purchase but a fellow at a sporting goods store has turned me on to the Colorado 400t. Any thoughts on these units? I am already impressed with the 60CSX but the Colorado looks pretty impressive. All in all though I am not impressed on just looks. I know the SirfIII chipset works very well and am a bit dismayed that they didn't stay with it. In the end I want accuracy but dadgum that screen on the 400 looks good :laughing: Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Some users have reported a rather awful "bug" in the Colorado Series that you should be aware of. The reading has a tendancy to drift way off on occasion. Up to 200 or more feet. Not all users have reported this but many have. Most of the ealy bugs have been ironed out via updates but the "drift" issue is still out there.

The 60Csx is the workhorse of Garmin and has been out for awhile. It's thought to have a better signal in heavy coverage. If you want to do a lot of backcountry, non-geocaching, the 60Csx is a great unit.

However, if your predominantly into geocaching. The 400T is an awsome unit, new with a few bugs to still work out, and allows for full paperless caching - which you can't do on the 60Csx. It's a little larger format than the 60Csx too.

I have the 400T and love it. I had a but unit and returned it and the second one has been fine. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks alot guys. I am not totally against paper so paperless is not a large priority for me. I do very much like how the 400t is supposed to overlay several maps at once. Now that is cool. But not like it's a big deal to just switch active maps in the 60csx either. This decision is keeping me awake at night. I have my electronics dealer looking into a price on the 400t and if it's not that much more than the 60csx would be with maps loaded then I'll go for it. Otherwise I'll be happy saving the money and sticking with a more reliable and accurate device.

I just ordered a Gerber LMF II knife too and am getting really excited to spend some time trying to get lost.

I researched it just as you are doing and the forum guided me into the decision of going with the 60Csx. I tend to be a tech junkie by nature and was tempted, but contained by my budget. My thoughts are.... too much tech, more fragile, ??touch screens?? = no business in the woods unless something you drag out while on a break from hiking or something. I went the 60Csx and although I have looked back many times to verify the soundness of my decision, I have not once regretted it or thought that I could have made a better choice. BTW, Ibycus maps will do a great job at the price of free/donation, vs $100.... still a decision that I am well satisfied with.

Can you download GPX files from GSAK onto this device? I'm just getting into Geocaching myself and need a GPS. I initially wanted to get the Oregon, to be able to use as a combo driving/geocaching unit, but am now considering making 2 purchases instead (getting this and a Nuvi). I like the idea of downloading GPX files and having the ability to read notes, etc in the field on the GPS. Thanks for any help. I think this can do that, but just checking.

Can you download GPX files from GSAK onto this device? I'm just getting into Geocaching myself and need a GPS. I initially wanted to get the Oregon, to be able to use as a combo driving/geocaching unit, but am now considering making 2 purchases instead (getting this and a Nuvi). I like the idea of downloading GPX files and having the ability to read notes, etc in the field on the GPS. Thanks for any help. I think this can do that, but just checking.

For paperless geocaching, you might also look at one of the DeLorme models, their PN-20 and PN-40.

The PN-20 is available as refurbished product, indistiguishable from new, for $170, or the soon to be released PN-40, at the end of Oct., for $399.

Both are bundled with with the DeLorme Topo USA 7.0 software to which one downloads the GPX files, Premium memebership required. Subsequently, these waypoints may be transferred from the Topo 7.0 application to the PN-20/40 handheld GPSr without involving GSAK or other software.

Well the 60csx is on the way and I am really thrilled to have it in the family. I also ordered a Gerber survival knife and can't wait to hit the trail. Thanks alot everyone. You have made me feel much better about this very confusing purchase. All the research I have done and a little common sense told me the 60csx was the right one. But I am never one to believe the hype. Now I just have to figure out the rest of this geocaching business.