Ordnance survey maps - Colorado 300

johnno2

I have a Colorado 300 GPS with the Garmin TOPO maps which is mostly great for caching, however I currently have to carry my trusty OS maps to find where the footpaths/bridleways go...

Is there any way I can get OS maps on my colorado?

I thought about getting memory map but my local GPS 'expert' at Cotswolds said it wouldn't download onto the 300. Is that true? :laughing:

Is there any way I can get OS maps on my colorado?

I thought about getting memory map but my local GPS 'expert' at Cotswolds said it wouldn't download onto the 300. Is that true? :P

It is true, you cannot load OS maps such as those from MemoryMap onto a Garmin GPS. This is due to the fact, I think, that the maps that come with programs such as MemoryMap are bitmap files whereas the Colorado uses vector files for the maps on the GPS.

FWIW I find that most footpaths and bridleways are on the Garmin Topo GB maps. Of course, what the Garmin maps don't tell you is what type of path you are actually on. However, when geocaching we generally find that we get along quite happily with the Garmin Topo maps and find most footpaths etc indicated on them.

Take care,

Marcus

Any maps you have you might be able to load onto any Magellan or Garmin or Lowrance. There are usergroups dedicated to hacking/decoding the map formats of those brands. As long as you have electronic maps, or paper maps that you can scan, and can geo-reference multiple points you can put anything on your GPS. Even satellite photos I've heard can be put on GPS's, and not necessarily the Delorme PN-20.

Whether or not you get anything that looks good depends on how much time you spend to do all the hard work to make the maps useable by your GPSr.

Any maps you have you might be able to load onto any Magellan or Garmin or Lowrance. There are usergroups dedicated to hacking/decoding the map formats of those brands. As long as you have electronic maps, or paper maps that you can scan, and can geo-reference multiple points you can put anything on your GPS. Even satellite photos I've heard can be put on GPS's, and not necessarily the Delorme PN-20.

Whether or not you get anything that looks good depends on how much time you spend to do all the hard work to make the maps useable by your GPSr.

I was talking to a salesman in a outdoor shop in Keswick at the weekend about buying an Oregon. He suggested I wait a few days because a series of OS maps (couldn't give specific details of scale, area etc) compatable with the Oregon and possibly other Garmin gps systems was about to be released.

Here are some details with screenshot.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/5590

Wow, that looks really nice! thanks for the link.

Great at last OS maps on a garmin I have one of these nad they are great cant wait to have os maps on mine.

Just think about if garmin are now supporting Raster and Vector maps does that mean we can create are own raster maps and up load them to are gprs.

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Maybe some one can look into this if yo can that would great becsause i have a pile of os maps that are screaming to be put on oregon.

Just think about if garmin are now supporting Raster and Vector maps does that mean we can create are own raster maps and up load them to are gprs.

Yes, you have been able to do so for at least a couple years. But it's lots of work, it's not a piece of cake. You might have trouble with zoom levels, things might not look as good as the big buck software that you are paying for.

there are a few groups in yahoo dedicated to making maps for Magellan, Garmin and Lowrance GPS's. I'm not sure about any others.

Heck, I even think you can get OziExplorer to put some maps on some GPS's.

Yes, you have been able to do so for at least a couple years. But it's lots of work, it's not a piece of cake. You might have trouble with zoom levels, things might not look as good as the big buck software that you are paying for.

there are a few groups in yahoo dedicated to making maps for Magellan, Garmin and Lowrance GPS's. I'm not sure about any others.

No, this is different. What you're talking about is vectorizing a raster image with programs like Mapwel. From the screenshot and description, it appears that Garmin is finally officially supporting raster maps for display (without a vectorizing hack) combined with vector overlays for routing.

No, this is different. What you're talking about is vectorizing a raster image with programs like Mapwel. From the screenshot and description, it appears that Garmin is finally officially supporting raster maps for display (without a vectorizing hack) combined with vector overlays for routing.

Correct i belive that the oregon is capable of supporting a raster georeference image directly

ok maybe in the correct formating

Any one know any details

It does because the 400i and 400c include georeferenced raster aerial imagery as part of their preload maps. This is the first time I've seen a 3rd party company offer these types of maps on the Colorado or Oregon however.

GO$Rs

Anyone know of software that we allow me to make my own raster maps for uploading to my oregon

It's finally on the UK Garmin website!

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/uk/c...armin-gb-active

It's still not clear to me from the marketing-babble on the website whether these are actually raster maps or what they are. What did surprise me though was that they say they'll work on the Colorado 300 (only the 300 or others as well is not clear) and I thought the Oregon was the only one capable of displaying raster imagery.

Any idea why they specify the Colorado 300 specifically?
I imagine the 300, with no U.S. preloaded maps, is the one that would typically be used in the UK.

If you look at the available regions list, it says the maps are compatible with the Colorado and Oregon handheld GPS ranges, so any Colorado or Oregon model should be suitable.

Any idea why they specify the Colorado 300 specifically?
I imagine the 300, with no U.S. preloaded maps, is the one that would typically be used in the UK.

If you look at the available regions list, it says the maps are compatible with the Colorado and Oregon handheld GPS ranges, so any Colorado or Oregon model should be suitable.

I amn trying to get more detail from mapwel it looks like mapwel does not support raster images onto the colorado and just vestorizes them.

As MOAGU i havent got it work with this program either.

Sorry for the bad new guys.

From what i can read it looks like the OS maps are routable. This would suggest that they are no just pure raster but a raster vector hybrid?

From what i can read it looks like the OS maps are routable. This would suggest that they are no just pure raster but a raster vector hybrid?

Yes, I saw that too. My own take on it was that it was capable of using an installed routable map to route with, but that you could hide that map and display the OS map instead, and see the routing information with that as a backdrop, as it were.

Raster maps on a GPS :) , what a step backwards......

I've been using raster maps on my iQue for years and they suck. They pixelate, they take up huge space and are a bear on the processor.

They would be much better off converting them to vector maps.

It is hard to believe that the UK government has not vectorized their maps. The Canadian government vectorized all of their maps many years ago. Time to live in the 21st century. My god.

Raster images do have a place, but that place is aerial photos, not maps.

Edited by Red90