cache sizing

spolik

ok i have a cache made up. about the size of a AA battery, but it gets attached to a larger item about the size of a car rim. would the larger item be the cache or the piece that contains the log? it would be a large cache if looking for the larger item but to sign the log you need the remove the cap and then remove log, so then it would be a nano?.

ok i have a cache made up. about the size of a AA battery, but it gets attached to a larger item about the size of a car rim. would the larger item be the cache or the piece that contains the log? it would be a large cache if looking for the larger item but to sign the log you need the remove the cap and then remove log, so then it would be a nano?.

Great question!! Around here (Minnesota) caches like that are frequently marked as "Unspecified". Sometimes the description will say something along the lines of "micro in a small's body" or whatever.

Since you can find the larger object and not find the cache, the size is Micro.

That's a micro to me. I consider the size of the space that a log or swag could be stored in and not the overall size of the item.

Ah, but there is the problem. If you call it a micro because of what can fit in it, then people are looking in places where you would be likely to find a micro, and ignoring bigger places. If you call it a "small" or a "large", then people may be bringing swag and/or trackables to drop in it. Its a catch 22.

That's a micro to me. I consider the size of the space that a log or swag could be stored in and not the overall size of the item.

Ah, but there is the problem. If you call it a micro because of what can fit in it, then people are looking in places where you would be likely to find a micro, and ignoring bigger places. If you call it a "small" or a "large", then people may be bringing swag and/or trackables to drop in it. Its a catch 22.

Nope I've seen a lot of tricksey hides, I'm not saying it couldn't happen but if I'm looking for a micro then I look under boulders, guardrails, trees, the same as I'd look under an old tire rim, or hollowed log. If it is listed as a Small or Regular I'm looking for that tupperware or ammo can, not a wooden log with a hole plugged out and a bison tube inserted. The internal storage volume identifies the hide in my mind.

I don't think this is the same thing as a micro hidden in a tree.

If a cache were an ammo box, and inside the ammo box there was a tiny tube with the log inside of that, it would not be a micro.

What if the same tiny log container were now attached to the handle of an ammo can? Would that now be called a micro because you don't need to find the ammo can?

Whether the tiny log container is inside of a large item or attached to the outside of a large item, when the large item is found you have found the item being hunted.

If a cache were an ammo box, and inside the ammo box there was a tiny tube with the log inside of that, it would not be a micro.

What if the same tiny log container were now attached to the handle of an ammo can? Would that now be called a micro because you don't need to find the ammo can?

Whether the tiny log container is inside of a large item or attached to the outside of a large item, when the large item is found you have found the item being hunted.

I disagree because I might find the large item (tire rim) but not the micro container/log. I agree with those that say that it's a micro because the hunt isn't over until the micro is found. I would say an ammo can is an exception only because of their wide use as a cache container.....tho I have no idea why someone would want to put a micro in an ammo can...what a waste of a micro.

But if someone finds the tire rim and doesn't flip it over they really haven't found the actual cache.

I've seen micros (bisons, nanos) hidden inside larger containers, and they're usually listed as micros. It just happens to be that the container is inside a bigger container.

The best was a nut/bolt combo that had a hole drilled into the screw part and a nut hiding the opening when it was screwed on. At first glance, it looks like an ordinary bolt until you unscrewed the nut. Lots of people DNF it because they either ignore the bolt or pick it up and don't realize it's the cache, ultimately never truly finding the actual cache container.

Edited by Skippermark

To me a cache's size listing has more to do with how big the logable container is, and whether or not it can take trade items or trackables. The fact that it is attached to a larger item doesn't confuse the size of the actual cache. We've got many bisons drilled into the bottom of Oregon stumps or trunk chunks and they are micros. The description, hint and difficulty can address the "camo" you've created for your micro cache.

A local hid a series of caches in the Ocala National Forest, and her previous hides proved challenging enough to draw a lot of folks out to hunt these new ones. My wife & I were part of several people hunting this series. We arrived at one of the hides to find a couple already searching, and joined them. After half an hour or so, another couple joined the 4 of us.

We searched every conceivable spot, and eventually I took a break by performing CITO. One of the items I removed was some kind of metal cart, that, judging by the vines twined about it, and the rust built up on it, had been discarded by some thoughtless litterbug quite some time ago.

I went back to searching, and after a while, I took another pause, resting against the tailgate of my truck.

A lucky glance revealed the cache, a Mr Magneto blinky pico, stuck to the cart that I had CITO'ed over an hour prior.

As such, I would have to dispute your theory that finding a large object equals finding the micro attached to it.

I see one person suggesting "unknown", an available option. Every "unknown" cache I've ever found was a micro, every single one....just an observation.

We set an 'unknown size' that was not a micro! <_<

Why? Because we wanted to keep the details on the page to an absolute minimum.

My feeling is that if the container and camo are one piece, for example a 2 foot wide fake rock with a small compartment for the contents you go with the size of the whole container, including the camo. Similarly if you hide a thermos bottle and the outside dimensions = regular and the inside capacity = small, you list it as regular.

If the container is meant to be removed from the camo, as in a bison cylinder in crack in a log, then you go with the size of the container.

My reasoning is that the chief purpose for listing the size is so that you know what you are looking for. Knowing the size of the compartment to know what size items to bring to trade is a secondary and far less important reason.

My feeling is that if the container and camo are one piece, for example a 2 foot wide fake rock with a small compartment for the contents you go with the size of the whole container, including the camo. Similarly if you hide a thermos bottle and the outside dimensions = regular and the inside capacity = small, you list it as regular.

I think this reasoning is only good for things that you recognize as the cache container. I can see the thermos bottle example as valid for this thinking. However, a fake rock would mean yo have to turn the rock over and examine the whole rock to see if there so happened to be a nano glued in a crack on the bottom. If I'm looking for a regular I'm not going to be thinking I need to examine every regular sized object to see if there is a blinkie inserted somewhere. If I did I'd have just gone from a hunt-style for a regular to one of a micro. So, if you're hunting a micro why would you want it listed as a regular?

wanna play nice?

call it a micro so people know it wont take coins, TBs/SWAG

and mention its attached to a LARGE, loose object

or

call it a regular

but mention you cant put anything in it

unless you are aiming for DNFs or "look how clever i am" sensation.

your choice

Edited by Guinness70

I think this reasoning is only good for things that you recognize as the cache container. I can see the thermos bottle example as valid for this thinking. However, a fake rock would mean yo have to turn the rock over and examine the whole rock to see if there so happened to be a nano glued in a crack on the bottom. If I'm looking for a regular I'm not going to be thinking I need to examine every regular sized object to see if there is a blinkie inserted somewhere. If I did I'd have just gone from a hunt-style for a regular to one of a micro. So, if you're hunting a micro why would you want it listed as a regular?

If I'm looking for a micro I'm going to be looking for a micro, not a regular sized item. So that fake rock will probably go unexamined by me. If finding the item means you found the cache then I say you go with the size of the item.

Edited by briansnat
If I'm looking for a micro I'm going to be looking for a micro, not a regular sized item. So that fake rock will probably go unexamined by me. If finding the item means you found the cache then I say you go with the size of the item.

Really? You're not going to look under that rock where a micro can be hidden? I certainly would. I'd not only look on the ground, but on the bottom side of the rock to see if they had stuck the micro to the bottom.

Really? You're not going to look under that rock where a micro can be hidden? I certainly would. I'd not only look on the ground, but on the bottom side of the rock to see if they had stuck the micro to the bottom.

No I wouldn't. I guess that is why I'm approaching 200 DNFs.

If the container is meant to be removed from the camo, as in a bison cylinder in crack in a log, then you go with the size of the container.

My reasoning is that the chief purpose for listing the size is so that you know what you are looking for. Knowing the size of the compartment to know what size items to bring to trade is a secondary and far less important reason.

I can certainly understand the sentiment, but still disagree respectfully. If I found an ammo can with a micro in it, I can still put swag in the ammo can so it is a regular. I have found plenty of ammo cans that had a scroll log in a film can inside instead of a logbook, that's still a regular. I found an ammo can one time that had been filled with cement and a bison tube attached to the exterior, that is a micro (a quirky one) but still a micro. [it was using the ammo can as a weight to hold it underwater]

Every geocaching rock or hideakey rock I've ever found has been listed as a micro, or rarely, a small. From the descriptions provided by gc.com and my own thoughts the size of the log and availability of swag space is the very definition of the hide size.

No I wouldn't. I guess that is why I'm approaching 200 DNFs.

LOL. <_<

If I had any insight beforehand that I'd be searching for a blinky attached to a rock, I'd probably walk away before even beginning to search.

Edited by Skippermark

You can put lipstick on a micro...but it's still a micro.

Bwahahaha!

But seriously, a micro *container* attached to a 747 is still a micro, even if it is riveted to the fuselage. Cache size has more to do with the amount of space to place a log book (or nano-roll) or trade items, IMO. If you read the cache listing form, the options seem to be listed in terms of what can fit inside, thus becoming a cache. The *functional* part of the item you find at the coordinates is the size of the cache, really. That is where the "unknown" size comes in, and that is where the listing form gives you a chance to shed some light "in the description".

I guess, for the OP, I would use "Unknown" size, but give some kind of hint as to what the hunters are looking for, and that the cache is "log only", or "not able to take trades". If it is listed as a "Regular" or "Large", I would be looking for something--including its attached camo or not--that could take a normal or large trade items.