My Caching affected by Tainted Food

gerboa

I think only the topic heading got uploaded..had timeout message, so..

Having found that my favorite peanut butter jar made a perfect cache container, I tended to consume very large amounts.

Seeing a change in the consistency, I examined the jar, and read that it was made in China.

Going to the Parent USA website I asked if there was any danger in the product in view of the ongolng alarms.

The silence is deafening, ( after receiving email acknowledgement),I did have to fake an address as the website would only accept US addresses. Could a genuineUS resident try ?

I have a few jars only and many caches to set.

OK no-one uses PB jars for caches (except me), but somewhere sometime..long ago ? I thought PB was a staple for youngsters in US, actually PB and JELLY !! which i think is jam, a combination that appalls Euros

The ammo cans won't fit on my pushbike, well they will, but then no room for me.

I ate a lot of celery with peanut butter stuffed into it when I was a kid and I loved it. My kids hate it. My daughter and her friends do think an ocassional PB&J is a good thing.

Sounds Tasty, I'll try it if BESTFOODS answer my request for info on their product sourced in China.

Having worked frequently in China since Mao's time, if the same standards of squalor and hygiene still maintain there, melamine is just one thing to worry about

The US Olympics team took all their own food and cooks, guess the knew what I do.

Edited by gerboa

I ate a lot of celery with peanut butter stuffed into it when I was a kid and I loved it. My kids hate it. My daughter and her friends do think an ocassional PB&J is a good thing.

Oh, YEAH! I've only recently re-discovered celery and peanut butter... an awesome combination!!

But regarding peanut butter jars as cache containers... despite the many ominous warnings here regarding reuse of food containers for cache containers, I've found hundreds of peanut butter jar caches and have yet to find a single one that has been a problem. Now, maybe that's because the others (that I didn't find) got carried off by hungry animals, but I don't think so.

oooh.. Celery and peanut butter with raisins stuck in it.... Ants on a Log.. How appropriate is that? Of course we could call it ticks on a log. <_< I remember the salmonella peanut butter outbreak. My jar was recalled, but as we'd already eaten half of it we just kept it and were fine. I hadn't heard about peanut butter having that plastic chemical in it

... I examined the jar, and read that it was made in China.

Going to the Parent USA website I asked if there was any danger in the product in view of the ongolng alarms.

The silence is deafening, ( after receiving email acknowledgement),I did have to fake an address as the website would only accept US addresses. Could a genuineUS resident try ?

To answer your original question, what is the brand? Can't contact 'em if we don't know who to contact... <_<

As an alternative container, you might consider old Nalgene bottles. Their #7 plastic is supposed to taint your water when it gets warm, so you'll be dodging another possible health hazard at the same time... :D

I don't understand why people complain so much about food from China. We found lots of tasty treats while we were there and it was all organic, sort of.

2854306615_59e4dc9cca.jpg

Aha! Stick food! This brings back memories of my recent Malaysian trip... Starting just before sundown, Chinese pushcart and stall vendors flood the streets of Malaysian cities, selling Chinese-style Malaysian "stick food", and it looks just like that, but with a much wider array of menu items displayed! And, due to the dipping sauces available for dipping the food into, it is sometimes called "dipping food". And, always, not far away, there will almost always be a durian truck, that is a vendor selling durian and mangosteen from the back of his/her truck, and these trucks too appear shortly before nightfall.