Deciding on a new GPS unit - Need Help

The_Wanderers

Hello all, this is my first time to this forum. I currently have a eTrex Legend. I have been driven crazy by loosing coverage under trees etc. I am looking at getting a new unit and was going to get the Garmen 60CSx but I see alot of people recomending the eTrex HCx. I not only use this for Geocaching but also backpacking and travel. I've been comfortable with the eTrex controls but have never used the 60CSx to compare.

What are some of the suggestions/recommendations you folks have on these products?

The_Wanderers

I've had both of these for quite a while now, so I've had plenty of time to compare them side by side in the real world.

Feature for feature, they're pretty much equal.

As for the controls, I much prefer the 60 since it has dedicated buttons for most of the common tasks, where the etrex, since it has fewer buttons, many of them have multiple functions so they must be held in instead of a quick push. This doesn't sound like a major issue, but it does add up to much quicker navigation with the 60 series. This is also much nicer when mounted to a windshield bracket in the car or mounted to the handlebars on a bike or motorcycle.

The screen on the HCx is definitely brighter, but the screen on the 60 is still plenty bright and is also larger, which is also a big plus when using it in the car.

Both have a very solid construction and withstand abuse quite well. One problem with the etrex series is the rubber gasket that goes around the outside. The glue likes to loose it stickyness after a while, but on more than one occasion, Garmin has sent me replacement parts and they are very easy to put on. With either model, I would buy an Invisible Shield. Although they are anything but invisible, they are worth their weight in gold when it comes to protecting the screen.

From my experience with Geocaching, the 60CSx is the hands down winner between the two. The main problem here is that at low speeds (like when you're walking). The HCx works fine at higher speeds, like in the car or even on a bike, but when you are navigating to a waypoint at walking speeds (approaching the cache for instance) the arrow quite frequently freezes and gives erratic readings. I've had this happen out in the open too, not just in the woods. I've gotten to the point that when I go caching, I leave the HCx at home. The 60CSx on the other hand is very stable at walking speeds and in fact many times I've seen it zero out on caches. Every time there is a new firmware available for the HCx series, I keep my fingers crossed that this will finally be fixed, but so far nothing.

To sum it up, the HCx, while a decent GPS, still has a ways to go and I'm hoping that it's not a chipset related issue and that the next firmware will fix it. On the other hand, the 60CSx is a very matured and stable unit and I very highly recommend it without reservation.

If Garmin had only put the Sirf III in the etrex line...........................

Feel free to email me if you have any other questions.

Hope that helps.

Edited by roadrage64