Check this out.

acadiahiker

I looked up the code on the TB and it belongs to Team SAM -- I'm sure they would be interested to know that someone is trying to sell their bug! :laughing:

As if someone would try and profit from this!! I am appalled!

Edited to add: I guess Eleanor and I had the same idea at the same time!! Glad to hear you contacted them.

Edited by ELTADA

The actions taken are the best route for sure.

On the other hand it might be nice for somebody to win the auction at a low price to get these back.

Groundspeak is aware of this but since they are not the owners of said items the best actions are for the owners to reach out to eBay directly.

I've removed the link to eBay as per forum guidelines to avoid arm-chair logging.

I noticed that one of the tracking numbers is visible in the picture, so I looked up the TB and contacted the owner of it. Hopefully at least one of the owners can get their TB back.

I already contacted this owner this morning and they confirmed that this was a TB of theirs that has been missing. They hope that if they don't win the bid that the person who buys them gets them back into circulation. ~Karen

Edited by kehunt64

As a 'former geocacher' this seller, who calls himself 'Blessingspoint', ought to know that these items belong to someone else and that probably they've been stolen from a cache. In my opinion even he himself can be regarded as a possible suspect.

He would only have done right if he had tried to track the original owners and get these items back to them in exchange for their gratitude or even for a small reward.

No, instead of doing this he has chosen to tell a story on eBay to sell other people's property there. And of course some vultures have reported for duty already!

I think seller and candidate buyers should be stopped immediately!

As a 'former geocacher' this seller, who calls himself 'Blessingspoint', ought to know that these items belong to someone else and that probably they've been stolen from a cache. In my opinion even he himself can be regarded as a possible suspect.

He would only have done right if he had tried to track the original owners and get these items back to them in exchange for their gratitude or even for a small reward.

No, instead of doing this he has chosen to tell a story on eBay to sell other people's property there. And of course some vultures have reported for duty already!

I think seller and candidate buyers should be stopped immediately!

There's another thread, where several people said they would attempt to purchase them, to then re-release or mail them home, at their expense, depending on the owner's wishes.

I wouldn't be too quick to scream "vultures".

If you read the auction, it's very clear that the seller knows these are activated by stating you are paying for coins/TB's to have them continue on their journey.

Very sad indeed. I don't believe that garage sale bit for a minute having been a geocacher themselves.

I think ebay needs a deluge of emails about the stolen property, hopefully the auction will get pulled.

Just saw your post Karen... good to hear!

Edited by tsunrisebey

it appears the seller ended the auction early. ebay site indicates it was to sell the auction to the current highest bidder. I hope this is bologna. I've emailed the high bidder encouraging them to do the right thing and send these coins on their way. I also contacted the seller offering to send a prepaid mailer to have them sent to me so I can move them on... that or to send them to the good folks at geocaching.com... I'm sure someone there could find someone to move them on.

It will be interesting to hear how ebay handles this one.

I posted a note to the one TB that had a tracking number showing in the photo. That was the "Spinner" TB owned by Team SAM. I posted to let anyone trying to log it know that this is for sale on ebay as stolen property. I also asked the TB owner report it as a stolen item. There isn't much more Groundspeak can do other than that. It appears from the photo that there were 2 USA geocoins, one Arkansas coin, and one Colorado coin along with a couple of TB's. No other tracking numbers were showing, so I can't help on any of the other items. I hope someone lets these people know that what they are doing is wrong.

By going to look for Team SAMs TB you can get to this listing on Ebay. It is closed. Although a very unscrupulous thing to do........I also do not believe the yard sale story..........be cautious.....as at least these are out there to be seen and maybe recovered.

For whatever reason - they ended up on Ebay but perhaps they will somehow come back into circulation. Folks who wave in and out of things sometimes do odd stuff with what has collected (whether theirs or some other persons).

At least these ended up back out in the public eye, rather than sitting on a shelf, in a desk drawer, stashed in a caching bag or coat pocket in a closet or the worse yet - chucked into the trash!

Remember, if you are not engaged into the hobby/sport/game - a tag of "Please Don't Keep Me" probably means little. As horrid as this auction may seem - it may have been a blessing.