webelos I den meeting

syfun

maybe tie it into the orienteering track? "take a bearing, then use orienteering skills to get to that point"?

Just an idea.

orienteering doesn't allow electronic devices. That's my main cause for this thread. The boys will love caching, I'm sure, but how can it help them in scouting?

For an intro to geocaching maybe you could set out some caches in a large park and then have them divide up into teams or pairs and take turns finding them all. You could do it without publishing them on GC.com and therefore you wouldn't have to adhere to the .10 mile rule (just remember to pick them all up when you're finished). You could time them and award prizes by finish times. Try contacting a local geocaching group and see if you could get a couple of locals to help you out with it. After all the fun, you could introduce them to the CITO ideal, that strikes me as something that scouts would appreciate.

Contact me via my profile with your address and I can send you some items for prizes...

For an intro to geocaching maybe you could set out some caches in a large park and then have them divide up into teams or pairs and take turns finding them all. You could do it without publishing them on GC.com and therefore you wouldn't have to adhere to the .10 mile rule (just remember to pick them all up when you're finished). You could time them and award prizes by finish times. Try contacting a local geocaching group and see if you could get a couple of locals to help you out with it. After all the fun, you could introduce them to the CITO ideal, that strikes me as something that scouts would appreciate.

Contact me via my profile with your address and I can send you some items for prizes...

I was thinking splitting up into pairs with local cachers. I have a few cachers in mind that could help out. I would like to keep it to real caches so they can log them if they want to continue.

I was also planning on talking about CITO and doing a quick clean of the area. This would obviously depend on the snow in Michigan in December.

Create puzzle caches that use questions from the activities badge or complete an activity by finding the cache.

Athlete, Do a 1/4 mile walk or run. Sounds like a cache along a trail, the boys wont even know they walked a 1/4 mile.

Artist, create a collage, Sounds like a great way to take pictures and write about the cache search

Traveller, well you can use just about any of the requirements in geocaching, plan a trip to a distant cache, do two different routes, cost of trip etc. Then take the trip with the parents and find the cache. Pick a good one, no Walmart skirt lifters.

Communicator,Write and article about a den activity. The boys could find a cache and write about it for the local paper. Teach them how to effectively communicate the benefits of caching and how it helps families have a together activity. Let them really sell caching.

Family member-Tell what your family can do together for little or no cost. Well after the purchase of the GPS caching is almost free. Explain why trash should be taken care of, show the boys how much trash they can pick up during a CITO

Readyman, well this is about first aid. Don't have to cache long before you know about scratches, insect bites, poison plants ticks, blisters from the long hikes through the mud and water trying to bushwack.

Craftsman, you could create a shelf for all the knickknacks you collect caching. Or even construct a camo'ed cache.

Forester, you can use the six different trees to create a multi cache.

Geologist. This is a great place to use an Earthcache for.

Outdoorsman-Leave no Trace. How does caching strive to met these standards. Are we doing a good job or do other outdoors activies do better than we do?

Create puzzle caches that use questions from the activities badge or complete an activity by finding the cache.

Athlete, Do a 1/4 mile walk or run. Sounds like a cache along a trail, the boys wont even know they walked a 1/4 mile.

Artist, create a collage, Sounds like a great way to take pictures and write about the cache search

Traveller, well you can use just about any of the requirements in geocaching, plan a trip to a distant cache, do two different routes, cost of trip etc. Then take the trip with the parents and find the cache. Pick a good one, no Walmart skirt lifters.

Communicator,Write and article about a den activity. The boys could find a cache and write about it for the local paper. Teach them how to effectively communicate the benefits of caching and how it helps families have a together activity. Let them really sell caching.

Family member-Tell what your family can do together for little or no cost. Well after the purchase of the GPS caching is almost free. Explain why trash should be taken care of, show the boys how much trash they can pick up during a CITO

Readyman, well this is about first aid. Don't have to cache long before you know about scratches, insect bites, poison plants ticks, blisters from the long hikes through the mud and water trying to bushwack.

Craftsman, you could create a shelf for all the knickknacks you collect caching. Or even construct a camo'ed cache.

Forester, you can use the six different trees to create a multi cache.

Geologist. This is a great place to use an Earthcache for.

Outdoorsman-Leave no Trace. How does caching strive to met these standards. Are we doing a good job or do other outdoors activies do better than we do?

This is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll research these ideas and keep planning. Keep the ideas coming!

maybe tie it into the orienteering track? "take a bearing, then use orienteering skills to get to that point"?

Just an idea.

orienteering doesn't allow electronic devices. That's my main cause for this thread. The boys will love caching, I'm sure, but how can it help them in scouting?

That's not a problem. Just have them find the caches without a GPS.

My wife, caching partner, and luckycharm (all one perosn) was a den leader for Web I's & II's, and now is an advancement coordinator for a Boy Scout Troop. One of the Arrow of Light requirements was to attend a campout with the Boy Scouts. It was during this activity, we set up a multi-geocache for the sole purpose of introducing them to the hobby, and having the Scouts & Webeloes get acquainted! It was a huge success. The leaders, the Webs and the Scouts each had a turn finding one of the stages, with the rest following.

It was a great icebreaker, and we loaded the final cache with some brag-blanket patches for all the participants....

I was thinking splitting up into pairs with local cachers. I have a few cachers in mind that could help out. I would like to keep it to real caches so they can log them if they want to continue.

Just remember Safe Scouting: no one-on-one with a non-parental adult unless they are constantly in view of everyone else.

Edit to add non-parental.

Edited by Klatch

Outdoorsman Req 9 includes a 3 mile hike.

Is there a trail nearby that has 3-4 caches along the way?

Make your own cache trail or multi-cache.

Artist

Make your own cache swag and go caching

Decorate a cache container(s) and open a cache(s)

Craftsman

Build a cache container(s) and open a cache(s)

Naturalist

Open a cache at a nature site. Research info about the site such as local trees, plants, animals... and make a small book to include in the cache container.

Communicator

Design a cache page for any of the above. Include narrative, pictures etc

SELL LOTS OF POPCORN AND USE THE TINS FOR CACHE CONTAINERS!!!!!

Former WB DL & Current SM.

My wife, caching partner, and luckycharm (all one perosn) was a den leader for Web I's & II's, and now is an advancement coordinator for a Boy Scout Troop. One of the Arrow of Light requirements was to attend a campout with the Boy Scouts. It was during this activity, we set up a multi-geocache for the sole purpose of introducing them to the hobby, and having the Scouts & Webeloes get acquainted! It was a huge success. The leaders, the Webs and the Scouts each had a turn finding one of the stages, with the rest following.

It was a great icebreaker, and we loaded the final cache with some brag-blanket patches for all the participants....

That sounds great, I might do somethint like that for webelos camp next August.

Just remember Safe Scouting: no one-on-one with a non-parental adult unless they are constantly in view of everyone else.

Edit to add non-parental.

no worries, all parents are at every meeting their scout attends.

Does your local Council have any geocaches set up at it's camps? Many Council Camps are starting to get private caches (open to Scouts only) set up for the purpose of rank advancement.

I have private caches set up at my Council Camp designed around hiking requirments, plant and animal identification requirements. Check into your Council.

There sets of caches in some areas called "Cache To Eagle" I believe. They are sets of twelve caches, each located at a previous Eagle project, and each one relating to one point of the Scout Law (Boy Scouts). If you could find a nearby C2E cache set, this would be a GREAT way to encourage your Webelos Scouts to continue on into Boy Scouts.

There sets of caches in some areas called "Cache To Eagle" I believe. They are sets of twelve caches, each located at a previous Eagle project, and each one relating to one point of the Scout Law (Boy Scouts). If you could find a nearby C2E cache set, this would be a GREAT way to encourage your Webelos Scouts to continue on into Boy Scouts.

I have three sets of Cache to Eagle caches. That's an excellent idea JimyLee. Not only teaches Scouts about geocaching, but it gives them something to really look up to.

Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!