FTF prizes

Trinity's Crew

I recently acquired (2) Garmin Foretrex 101 wrist band style GPS units for 10 bucks each. They were on clearance at Aldi. I briefly advertised them here for $25 each but thought better of it. Anyway, I was considering leaving them in a couple of future caches as a FTF prize. Then I started to wonder whether the whole FTF prize concept is feeding the FTF frenzy that occurs in some areas. I guess my question is twofold.

Should cache owners put special prizes in caches for the FTF and if the practice was stopped do you think it would slow the FTF frenzy?

No.

Edit to add:

No, it wouldn't stop the frenzy. People can put whatever they want for a prize, I'm not going to say no. In fact, if you want to place a cache near me with one of those GPSs as a prize, I'll be the local maintainer... :)

If I find myself in NH I might take you up on that offer. I'd love to place a cache a little ways from home. Thanks. :D

P.S. I wouldn't give you the coords beforehand. Everyone should have a crack at FTF! :D

I don' t think most FTF hounds care much about prizes. The only prize most are looking for is a blank logbook.

In fact some of the times I've left some very nice FTF prizes the FTFs didn't take them.

As STF (second to find) I've seen that as well, but only when the FTF has already gotten the same prize from the cache hider on a previous find.

To clarify, I once scored the FTF prize even though I was second because the FTF had already gotten the same prize on a previous FTF by the same hider.

I don' t think most FTF hounds care much about prizes. The only prize most are looking for is a blank logbook.

In fact some of the times I've left some very nice FTF prizes the FTFs didn't take them.

As STF (second to find) I've seen that as well, but only when the FTF has already gotten the same prize from the cache hider on a previous find.

To clarify, I once scored the FTF prize even though I was second because the FTF had already gotten the same prize on a previous FTF by the same hider.

No, it would not stop the frenzy! I do remember seeing those same Garmin wrist units at Aldi for about $25 dollars over a year ago. I see I was correct in holding out for a lower price. :)

I recently acquired (2) Garmin Foretrex 101 wrist band style GPS units for 10 bucks each. They were on clearance at Aldi. I briefly advertised them here for $25 each but thought better of it. Anyway, I was considering leaving them in a couple of future caches as a FTF prize. Then I started to wonder whether the whole FTF prize concept is feeding the FTF frenzy that occurs in some areas. I guess my question is twofold.

Should cache owners put special prizes in caches for the FTF and if the practice was stopped do you think it would slow the FTF frenzy?

First, before moving on to sharing my opinion, for the sake of complete transparency, let me make the following disclosures:

• I do not attach any importance to being FTF, and have, with Sue, gone after only a few FTFs on traditional caches or multi-caches in my life (see below for notes on FTF on puzzle caches)
  • largely by accident, Sue and I do happen to own at least 25 FTFs on traditional and multi caches.
  • Sue is a puzzle cache addict, and thus she does take some pride on being the FTF on some of the really difficult puzzle caches within a 120 mile radius, and for those caches, it is often the case that the FTF is never accomplished until weeks after publication date. We do own, due to Sue's "thing" about solving puzzles, FTFs on a number of puzzle caches.
  • FTF prizes in caches do not matter one whit to either Sue or myself.
  • Sue and I have often left FTF prizes, including cash (up to $160 in one case, and $20 in several other cases), imprinted Psycho cache T-shirts, and geocoins, as prizes in our more difficult Psycho caches and in her more difficult puzzle caches.
  • When we have left FTF and 2TF prizes in our tougher caches, it has never been done so in an attempt to lure more cachers into finding the cache, nor to encourage people to be FTF, but rather, to simply reward the FTF or 2TF for their sacrifice and work in managing to find the cache.

And so, here are my answers:

Yes, whenever cache owners wish to place special FTF prizes in a cache, I think that they should feel free to do so.

No, if the practice of leaving FTF prizes (which is very much a spotty and regional practice, anyway) were stopped, it would not, in my opinion, put any dent in the FTF frenzy.

And, I must add, I do not think that there is anything wrong with FTF frenzy. It is not my cup of tea, just as self-lobotomization, enemas, colonics, brain trephaning, shooting heroin, BASE jumping and accruing a high cache find count are not my cup of tea either, but for those who enjoy such things, bless them and let them enjoy themselves! No need to try to dampen the FTF frenzy!

...Should cache owners put special prizes in caches for the FTF and if the practice was stopped do you think it would slow the FTF frenzy?

Should they? That's up to the owner. My practice varies. Last cache has a pair of radios as a FTFP but I neglected to mention it in the cache description. :laughing: Other caches had nothing but a log book.

Would it stop the frenzy? Not really. FTF is a a variation on how folks have fun caching. It's it's own reward. You can create more frenzy about any one cache by hyping up a really cool FTF prize, but you can't move the fenzy below it's base level even if you got rid of any swag at all.

Edited by Renegade Knight

It's a good question. My guess is no, FTF hounds are in it for the FTF. I suspect few even know ahead of time whether there is a prize to be had.

On my last few caches, I did not leave an FTF prize as I had with all previous caches because I wanted people to come for the hike and the area, not to rush in and out. I realize that's counter to my thinking that the prize isn't important.

I honestly think that one of the BEST things about geocaching is that it means different things to different people. Some people are all about the numbers, some aren't. Some are FTF nuts, some aren't. Honestly, if I did get a FTF I think it would be cool, but I am not going to necessarily rush out as soon as I get a notification (unless it indicates its right down the street).

What it really comes down to is this. Are FTF hounds really harming the sport or others? Nope. Are people harming the game by being numbers driven? Nope.

Just let people lay the game to their own level and with their own goals.

It is not my cup of tea, just as self-lobotomization, enemas, colonics, brain trephaning, shooting heroin, BASE jumping and accruing a high cache find count are not my cup of tea either, but for those who enjoy such things, bless them and let them enjoy themselves! No need to try to dampen the FTF frenzy!

Those are some of my favorite things. FTF, not so much.

However, I did have some friends come to town and hide some caches just for me to get FTF on. I did enjoy them. But I enjoyed the caches more because they drove 50 miles in order to place some for me to find, not so much for the FTF. We have some mighty fine cachers around here.

I was FTF on a cache that had a set of TB tags as a prize. I left it for the next person thinking some of the areas newer cachers might get it. the next three finders also left it So the prize went to the fifth finder.

So nope the prize doesn't matter.

cache GC17DC0

Edited by Bad Duck