Polypropylene

linuxxpert

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody know what kind of adhesive will stick to Polypropylene, you know the kind of plastic pill bottles, etc. are made out of? I have tried a few different kinds of epoxies but that just seems to pop right off. I am looking to stick things to this plastic, like magnets, rocks, etc. and it needs to withstand the elements of course.

Thank you!

According to 3M, their 3M High Strength 90 Spray Adhesive: bonds polypropylene.

Glue magnets to the inside (if glue is even needed).

If you want to use rigid or semi-rigid adhesives like epoxies, drill some small holes through the plastic first. The epoxy will fill the holes and form a bulge on the inside, creating a mechanical bond (think, "epoxy rivet")

Just be aware that doing so will eventually cause water to enter through the hole.

If you want to use rigid or semi-rigid adhesives like epoxies, drill some small holes through the plastic first. The epoxy will fill the holes and form a bulge on the inside, creating a mechanical bond (think, "epoxy rivet")

Just be aware that doing so will eventually cause water to enter through the hole.

Not in my experience. I've had caches out for a couple of years that were done that way.

Not in my experience. I've had caches out for a couple of years that were done that way.

Whatever.

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody know what kind of adhesive will stick to Polypropylene, you know the kind of plastic pill bottles, etc. are made out of? I have tried a few different kinds of epoxies but that just seems to pop right off. I am looking to stick things to this plastic, like magnets, rocks, etc. and it needs to withstand the elements of course.

Thank you!

If you can figure out what kind of adhesive is used on the labels pharmacies use on the prescription bottles, you should be good to go. I have no clue what it is though, but it sure as hell sticks to plastic pill bottles.

I used to work in a materials test lab for an aircraft manufacturer and scotch weld 8005 or Bondit 45th are the only two adhesives I've found that will effectively bond polypro to a substrate. Both are expensive ($25-$60 for 2oz cartridge) with the Bondit being better in harsh environments.

When I did the testing both required a gun and mixing tips, but you may be able to squeeze the entire contents of a cartridge and mix it by hand.

I'd try the epoxy rivet method myself.

I used to work in a materials test lab for an aircraft manufacturer and scotch weld 8005 or Bondit 45th are the only two adhesives I've found that will effectively bond polypro to a substrate. Both are expensive ($25-$60 for 2oz cartridge) with the Bondit being better in harsh environments.

When I did the testing both required a gun and mixing tips, but you may be able to squeeze the entire contents of a cartridge and mix it by hand.

I'd try the epoxy rivet method myself.

Whatever.

:laughing::laughing::D:(:(

What's the matter sbell - don't believe someone had a different experience than you?

Too funny

I simply realized that anyone who would argue that this method would work long term would be unwilling to listen to an explanation of why it was doomed to failure. To save my time, I decided not to have the conversation.

Anyone who really wants to pursue the issue can simply do a forum search.

Edited by sbell111

Hello,

Thank you!

The Grey 3M acrylic molding tape used for attaching plastic trim to cars is really strong.

I bought mine at the local CarQuest parts store. The Napa guy said they don't sell the tape because 3M recommends a spray adhesive, which coincidentally, Napa Auto Parts sells.