Replace lost Vista HCX with a 60CSX?

j.w.lawrence

Long time lurker, first time poster. This weekend, I lost my Vista HCX while leading a volunteer worday in the field. A friend helped me search for it, but with no luck. It's off-trail in the brush, long gone. I'm trying to decide what to replace it with, and would like some help.

I use my GPS primarily for work at a local land trust, using it to walk property lines and record locations of signs, invasive plants, etc. I use DNRGarmin to transfer ArcGIS property shapefiles into tracks. For recreation, I use it on hikes to record my distance walked, and to navigate. I don't geocache, so paperless caching is not a factor for me.

I really liked the sensitivity of the HCX, which is my first priority. The HCX never dropped a lock, even under canopy and in ravines and with the unit in my pocket. My old Legend C had to be held up in front of me in those conditions, which is why I upgraded to the HCX.

However, the odometer issue was a big disappointment for my recreational use. That's why I'm thinking of switching to the 60CSX. From seaching the several threads on the subject, I understand the performance of the two in terms of holding a signal and accuracy are identical. The 60CSX apparently does not have the odometer issue, or the drift issue (which I never experienced, but I'm afraid I might with a different unit). My HCX odometer seemed to finally work well with the 2.70 update, but I didn't have a chance to test it extensively. I did see it accumulate distance while standing still and the speed still jumped around while walking <3mph, but it finally recorded distance well, from what I saw.

So- do I understand correctly that the 60CSX should perform just as well as the HCX in holding a satellite lock, but without the odometer bugs and drift? And I want to stick with Garmin, so I can use DNRGarmin with ArcMap.

Thanks, John

So- do I understand correctly that the 60CSX should perform just as well as the HCX in holding a satellite lock, but without the odometer bugs and drift?

The 60Csx will hold just as well as the VistaHcx, and doesnt have any issues with the odometer. It does however have very slight drifting when you stand still, if you zoom the map screen to the max you can watch your little arrow moving around 10-50ft sometimes.

The thing is even with this slight drift its very accurate at finding waypoints and lays down just as accurate of tracks. you never get those weird shooting off tracks that the HCX will sometimes do.

This works on every Garmin etrex I've played with to stop the odometer from drifting... I figure it should work on the 60 series also.

GO to settings, Marine, make sure the speed filter is set to AUTO.......

PS - Putting the unit in DEMO mode will turn off the speed filter, which you don't want.

See if this helps.

I would say if you've had an HCx and were basically pretty happy with it then you will probably be very disappointed with the 60CSx. I would very strongly suggest you go to a shop and try out the rocker switch before deciding. It's very spongy and unpleasant to use after getting used to the HCx. It also takes two hands to operate it. One for the rocker and one for the enter button. Most annoying. And the screen compared to the HCx is very dull, the unit is heavier and battery life worse. But entering data with the rocker is the worst of it by far.

What units do not have any drift issues?

The 60CSx does not have drift issues, in the sense that most people understand it here (i.e., the occasional large, systemic deviations in reported position which are corrected by a power cycle). Whoever wrote that was confused. The Oregon does not have drift issues, either, but some people claim it doesn't seem as accurate.

Sorry, I should have been more specific in my question. By "drift issues," I did indeed mean the large (100 yards or more) drifts that some HCX users have reported here, that they have corrected with a power cycle. I never had it happen on my lost HCX, but I've seen it mentioned enough here to concern me. I'd hate to get a new HCX and have a new problem to deal with.

I did like to HCX ergonomics, once I got a feel for pressing down on the click stick, so it sounds like I should test a 60CSX to see how I like the controls first.

Sorry, I should have been more specific in my question. By "drift issues," I did indeed mean the large (100 yards or more) drifts that some HCX users have reported here, that they have corrected with a power cycle. I never had it happen on my lost HCX, but I've seen it mentioned enough here to concern me. I'd hate to get a new HCX and have a new problem to deal with.

I did like to HCX ergonomics, once I got a feel for pressing down on the click stick, so it sounds like I should test a 60CSX to see how I like the controls first.

I had the HC and though it was a good unit I never did quite like the button placment on it. I now have the 60 CSx and Love the button placemnt to me it is a much better feel. Good luck on which ever way you go!!

GO to settings, Marine, make sure the speed filter is set to AUTO.......

Please provide a little more information about where to find the speed filter. On my Vista HCx, there are two places to change marine settings:

Main Menu > Setup > Marine - on that page, there are two options: Anchor Drag Alarm and Off Course Alarm

Main Menu > Setup > Map > Marine - on that page, there are four options: Marine Colors, Spot Soundings, Light Sectors and Symbol Set

It's not just the button placement, it is the mechanical operation of the button as well. The 60CSx does not have any tactile feedback at all. Therefore you cannot tell when the button is pressed by feeling it through your thumb which means that you need to press it a lot harder than necessary. Try entering an address and you'll soon understand how annoying it is. Not only that but the button is a sort of scooped out affair that requires not just downward but sideways pressure which adds to the difficulty of pressing it. If you do wish to use one hand then your thumb needs to come off the rocker and hit the enter button every time you enter a letter or number. However holding with one hand while entering data makes it feel like it will fall anyway, not to mention it forces your thumb to contort into a strange position. Report back here on your thoughts after trying it.