The Terrible, Evil, Insidious Practice of Signing the Logbook and Failing

You have, for some reason, failed ot see the humor inherent in the title of the thread, and I never discuss anything with humor-deficient people, for most of them, I have learned from long and deep experience as a therapist and counselor, are fundamentalists, fanatics and zealots of one ilk/breed or another, and most of them have closed hearts. End of discussion.

Oh I clearly see that you meant it to be humor. Just because you intend it to be, does not mean it automatically qualifies. It is difficult to make it humorous when deep in your heart you really believe it.

. . . angst . . . angst . . . angst . . . angst . . .

I'm still trying to figure-out what the word "angst" means, as used here in the forums.

Discomfort; bad feelings; uneasiness. Angst begins where the thickness of your skin ends.

To some it means anything short of hugs and bunnies and kittens and 100% agreement among all thread participants. To others it is generally used to refer to any especially vigorous or spirited discussion among opposing viewpoints.

Another definition: When you disagree with another poster, it’s a debate. When you observe two other people disagreeing, it’s angst.

Some can’t stand angst in any form; I happen to think it is toxic in some contexts, while healthy in others.

Ask you doctor if Angst is right for YOU!

(Side effects may include squinting, gnashing, seething, clenching, steaming, screaming, dry mouth, vomiting, diarrhea, and getting your Butt Tocks booted by a Moderator.)

Yes Vinny, I must agree the practice of no making a long on-line after locating a said cache is going to spiral sport into complete chaos. :rolleyes:

But on the other hand the number of people logging temps as finds, I think will offset this horrible practice and it may just even things out. :(

Yes Vinny, I must agree the practice of not making a long on-line after locating a said cache is going to spiral sport into complete chaos. :(

But on the other hand the number of people logging temps as finds, I think will offset this horrible practice and it may just even things out. ;)

I never log temp caches online.... :D:rolleyes:
Yes Vinny, I must agree the practice of not making a long on-line after locating a said cache is going to spiral sport into complete chaos. :(

But on the other hand the number of people logging temps as finds, I think will offset this horrible practice and it may just even things out. ;)

I never log temp caches online.... :D:rolleyes:

Never logged one either. They are not listed on this site, so how in the heck can I claim a find on something that's not listed on the site? Still trying to figure that one out. :D I kind of think those log's violiate the TOU of the site by both the cache owner and the cache finder. You know that one guideline about it's a cache owner's responsabilty to delete any and all bogus log's. Well finding another cache and logging it on another I would call bogus.

But if you look at the number of people that don't log there finds on-line and the number of people that log temps, does that number offset the find's not claimed on-line, so the two problems just may even each other out.

Reallly all jokes aside I have a good friend that hardly ever logs his finds on-line. If you want to see if he found it and what he has to say you have to read the log book. He's one of those people that still write a good note in the log book instead of just signing it and leaving. But I would say any note he wrote is worth sitting down and looking threw the log book for it. Heck a couple of mine I was shock to find his note when I was doing maintance on them and noticed he had been there. But it's always a big thanks for the hide and thanks for bringing him to that special spot where the cache was hid and about his adventure getting there. I really wish he would put that on-line for me and others to read without having to visit a cache but he couldn't give a flip about his number of finds and avoids that by not logging them on-line.

Reallly all jokes aside I have a good friend that hardly ever logs his finds on-line. If you want to see if he found it and what he has to say you have to read the log book. He's one of those people that still write a good note in the log book instead of just signing it and leaving. But I would say any note he wrote is worth sitting down and looking threw the log book for it. Heck a couple of mine I was shock to find his note when I was doing maintance on them and noticed he had been there. But it's always a big thanks for the hide and thanks for bringing him to that special spot where the cache was hid and about his adventure getting there. I really wish he would put that on-line for me and others to read without having to visit a cache but he couldn't give a flip about his number of finds and avoids that by not logging them on-line.
I agree that if it's a decent cache then you should log online to thank the owner and tell about your adventure. If it's a great cache then you should write even more because that is the best way to thank the cache owner for his hardwork/creative thinking. However, I think when it's a cache near a garbage dumpster or something like that then I'm not going to log it online even if the friends I'm with jokingly log my name in the logbook. I've just adapted to only sign my name in logbooks of caches that I would endorse.

I cache for my enjoyment and do log in the cache and on line. I have a cache out for others to find for their enjoyment. If someone chooses to feel great personally by cheating and not really visiting and finding the cache, I don't really care, I'm not in competition with anyone but am in it just for personal enjoyment. I personally don't care if someone logs or not or cheats or not.

Ok.. Here it is. The topic that I was waiting for.

I happen to be the father of two such types and the boyfriend of another.

Let me shine a little light on where they come from and why they don't feel obligated or motivated to log their finds online.

First, a comment that neither of them are premium members so naturally, they get frustrated when they cache with me only to find that the cache they fund before me doesn't even count unless they use the hidden back door to log.

I'll start with my daughter. She has cached with me more than my son of or my GF and while her name goes on every log we find together - over 1K, she will just NOT take the time to log her finds on line anymore because of insensitive arrogant *%#(heads who bash her in e-mail when they don't appreciate her short logs. While the first such log turned out to be educational and actually created a great friendship, the following ones just got progressively worse. So, thanks to a few jerks who are more concerned with logging rather than the sport in its entirety, she doesn't even bother anymore. BTW, she found over 40 in one day and didn't log a one.

Then there's my son. He has well over 500 finds yet stopped logging somewhere around 80 or so because he too was bashed for not having something 'clever' to say in his post.

And lastly, my GF who has well over 1000 finds just can't remember them all when it comes to logging so if she can't recall the cache from my log, she just passes on it. That is kind of ok since she will often be so worn out trying to keep up with me that she's almost passed out in the car when I make those last few grabs.

Who's to blame here? no one! This is a fun family activity but when some placers take it so personally to send insulting and demeaning e-mail to a finder because of a generic log, it ruins the sport for no one but themselves. The rest will just carry on and enjoy caching in their own little way.

Enough?

Who's to blame here? no one! This is a fun family activity but when some placers take it so personally to send insulting and demeaning e-mail to a finder because of a generic log, it ruins the sport for no one but themselves. The rest will just carry on and enjoy caching in their own little way.

Enough?

Wow that is pretty bad. I had heard about people complaining if someone wrote a negative log, but to email someone over a short log is pretty out there. :huh: