100$ Palm?

georooks

I am looking for the latest info on something to use for paperless caching. I got bit by not printing out all of the descriptions for the caches I loaded on our recent Yosemite trip so I missed several.

I saw earlier today in Staples that they had a Palm that was about $100.00 but it did not support Word or Excel. Is there something for around $100.00 that will work for this. I have Windows Vista.

I am considering the Palm Centro but we have a few months before our current contract runs out.

Thanks,

Rooks

KoosKoos, my desktop does not have a serial port, USB only, and is Windows Vista. Will the Palm VII still work for me? I see some on ebay for around $30.00.

Thanks,

Rooks

I already had a serial-usb converter from my old GPS, so that wasn't a concern for me and I'm on XP, so can't speak to Vista.

As Airmapper pointed out, you can get older USB palms too and the desktop software shouldn't be a problem to find.

I use a Palm m125 with a USB cradle. Works fine with Vista if you install the correct version of Palm Desktop.

I have the same unit. I like that it uses AA batteries and the black and white screen is easy to read in bright light. Paid about $30 but it took a while to win an auction. Then decided to go with Cachemate and GSAK which about doubled the cost. It is a nice setup though and I am glad I went for it.

KoosKoos, my desktop does not have a serial port, USB only, and is Windows Vista. Will the Palm VII still work for me? I see some on ebay for around $30.00.

Thanks,

Rooks

The Palm VII only has a serial connection, and has limited memory (originally, 2MB, later ones had a bit more). The VII was designed to use the PalmNet wireless system to access data, so that's why there's not much on-board memory. You were expected to access data remotely, rather than store it locally. PalmNet is long dead, and so is the VII's ability to connect to a network.

Too bad about your contract. A Centro would be right up your alley. Documents-To-Go software (comes with the Centro) lets you read MS Word documents and spreadsheets. With a small upgrade, you can edit them too.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I am looking for the latest info on something to use for paperless caching. I got bit by not printing out all of the descriptions for the caches I loaded on our recent Yosemite trip so I missed several.

I saw earlier today in Staples that they had a Palm that was about $100.00 but it did not support Word or Excel. Is there something for around $100.00 that will work for this. I have Windows Vista.

I am considering the Palm Centro but we have a few months before our current contract runs out.

Thanks,

Rooks

A palm m125 (AAA batteries) or a M500 (internal batteries) would work fine. The can be found for around $25 at on line sites, not ebay auctions were they tend to go for ridiculous prices. A nextag search will turn up the vendors. Get the latest version of the desktop from palm and you will be fine with Vista. As has been mentioned the LCD screens are better for reading in the sun. My Tungsten E2 sucks in the bright light. I would not recommend the current crop of color screens, just to hard to read in the sun.

Jim

Awww, you may have missed my nice virtual about Yosemite geology then. :ph34r: Maybe next time!

I saw earlier today in Staples that they had a Palm that was about $100.00 but it did not support Word or Excel. Is there something for around $100.00 that will work for this.

Just checking--you aren't saying that you need Word or Excel for geocaching, right? There's some other reason you need them? I have the $100 Palm (the Z22), and with Cachemate software, it works just fine for geocaching. Although as Jim mentioned, some Palms have screens that are easier to see in sunlight.

Patty

I have a Palm Zire that works great for paperless caching. It's for sale, contact me if interested.

I upgraded to a Tungsten e2. I absolutely love it. I have every cache in Oklahoma loaded in it and use plucker. The color screen is plenty visible even in bright sunlight, and the battery has not been an issue at all.

I have a tungsten C.. the color screen really helps, and the full keyboard is a godsend.

I use spinner to translate the GPX files into a web dbase for the palm, and plucker desktop to get it on via USB.

Then I have a searchable record, in the field, of all the logs, etc, and the ability to take notes.

It's really a godsend, to be able to just click the "caches nearby" link and read which you might want to do, rather than hauling around a stack of damp papers the ink is running on. :)

I have been using a Plam Vx for two years and I love it. I only paid $50.00 for 2 Palm Vx units with hard shell cases on eBay. This was perfect for me I always seem to drop these things on the trail. The Plam Vx has 8<B of RAM, has a slim profile, and has a titanium case. I use the second one as a backup unit.

I use CacheMate on the palm to hold the caches I want to find. I have had 1200 caches loaded with room to spare (no I didin't really need all 1200 cache entries, but I thought it was cool).

I have had to by a serial to USB converter but that was it. I was into paperless caching under $100.00. You can still get Palm Vx on eBay for around $15.00 plus shipping.

The Palm V is also a good choice, but the Palm V is similar to the Palm Vx (titanium case and slim profile), but it only has 2 MB of RAM, but even at 2MB of RAM you will get over 500 caches loaded.