60csx or CO 400i or 400t Questions

ConnerFamily

My family and I want to geocache and I am also interested in back country trails and 4 x 4 roads.

It seems to me I can buy a 60 csx for about 250 and then I would have to buy the appropriate maps so maybe 350 total.

The Colorado 400 series looks like I can buy for around 450 with my map installed.

2 scenarios:

Understanding the 60 csx is less money and easier to buy used. Scenario one would be to purchase a 60csx and then purchase maps.

Is the topo map for my region the best bet? (Oregon/WA).

Is the Regional 24k topographical map more detailed than the full US topographical maps?

Is it true that the 60csx has no base map and that I will need to purchase the 24k map?

Would it make sense to buy both the inland lake maps and the topo maps?

Would I have to switch between the two maps by switching a card or could I load both maps and then switch using the unit?

What about driving around town? Will I have to buy a complete new map set for city driving?

Scenario 2:

Buy a Colorado 400i or 400t. Does the i contain high mountain lakes and trails to access them? If I go with i, will I wish I had the “t” if we Geocache more than utilize the features that the i has to offer? Is there much of a difference?

Is there a better option than either of the two above? I would like the most detailed trails, ATV, forest roads, etc.

The default topo maps are really not highly detailed and do not contain many trails. A series of high detail maps is available in limited areas at extra cost. The Colorado 400t has the default topo maps.

Also be aware that many users have had some difficulties with the colorado series. Many issues have been addressed in updates but many of the units still suffer from "drift". This can be really annoying while geocaching and could set you off up to several hundred feet from a difficult trail. Not all users have seen the problem.

The Oregon Series is far better and the units are very rugged. Drift has not been an issue for most and the screen is better than the 60CSx.

Judging from all the complaints I've read and heard about the Colorado series, I'd go with the 60CSX which is a proven unit used by thousands of geocachers.

In fact I was at an event recently where the Garmin rep had nearly every unit in the Garmin line on display, except for the Colorado, which makes me think it's probably going away soon.

I have the 60csx, with the standard road maps for my area (North East). I have never had an issue finding what I'm looking for. The trails are usually obvious, at least for me.

The nice thing about the 60csx (and the others may or may not do this as well, I am unfamiliar with them) is you can simply pop out the mini-SD chip to switch maps. So you can use a roadmap to get to the site, and topo map (if you wish) once you are there.

I can't imagine using anything _but_ the 60csx at this point. It seems the most featured, and easiest to use of the bunch I have seen/used/seen other people use.

The nice thing about the 60csx (and the others may or may not do this as well, I am unfamiliar with them) is you can simply pop out the mini-SD chip to switch maps. So you can use a roadmap to get to the site, and topo map (if you wish) once you are there.

Even better about the 60CSX is that there is no need to even pop out the chip. You can run several mapping packages concurrently on the unit (Topo, Bluechart, City Navigator, etx...) and just switch between with them with a few button pushes.

Personally, I'd stay with the 60Cx...not even bothering with the "S". The altimeter that comes with the "S" is OK I suppose, but I don't really need that accuracy and the basic one that comes with my Cx works for me. And if I want a compass, I have a real one and it doesn't need batteries. Besides, I don't have the extra hassle of calibrating those components.

Yes, you'll have to buy maps, but in essence you are buying the maps with the Colorado, they just preload them for you.

Regarding maps, here is an article I wrote for a blog some of us contribute that explains briansnat's comment a bit better: http://electronicbreadcrumbs.blogspot.com/...ent-map-on.html

Even better about the 60CSX is that there is no need to even pop out the chip. You can run several mapping packages concurrently on the unit (Topo, Bluechart, City Navigator, etx...) and just switch between with them with a few button pushes.

How do you do that?? Ive been trying to do that for days now!!!

How do you do that?? Ive been trying to do that for days now!!!

You have to load all the maps you want at once.

Then it just a matter of switching between the various maps on the unit. From the map page, chose "set up map" --the maps that are active have a check next to them, the ones that are not active do not have the check. Scroll to the map you want to open and select it to check it--voilà, it is on.

Edited by Neos2

I've used GPS units for more than just Geocaching for years now. I had a 60 series, and recently upgraded to a Colorado. I absolutely love it. Paperless caching without third party software and other pieces of hardware, great features, one handed operation, and the "brightness" of the display has not been an issue for me. If I wanted to mount it on a bicycle, I suppose the display COULD be an issue, but that's moot for me.

Cards, maps, they all work great on my 400t. I haven't used an Oregon, so I can't comment. The latest software release for the Co 400t seems to have fixed any issues with it (and it's a breeze to update).

Just my .0001 cents' worth; but it's probably a matter of personal preference. I'll readily admit that the 60csx is a hall of famer compared to a rookie hotshot...It is quite proven, and nobody has any complaints about it.

I have a 60CX and it works great. My only issue is that the compass needle wanders more than my old 60CS when walking slowly toward a cache. I suspect that if I had bought a 60CSX I would not have this problem. I bought one of the early units and wanted to save some money, now I am not sure I did the right thing.

In my opinion another big consideration is paperless caching. If you figure in the cost of a used palm, lets say $25 and a copy of cachemate $10 and GASK $25 that's an additional $60 cost that you basically get for free with the Colorado/Oregon's built-in paperless caching function; which works phenomenally by the way! Not to mention the beauty of only having to carry one device vs. two. Also palms aren't exactly built very ruggedly so plan to replace it every year to sooner depending on your level of harshness.

This is somewhat of a misconception here, to change the mini-SD card on the 60CSx you need to remove the back and remove the batteries to get to it. With the Colorado you simply just remove the back and you have access to the SD card slot without having to remove the batteries. This isn't exactly a quick and easy thing to do with either units.

Here is another deal breaker consideration in my opinion. The 60CSx can only handle up to 2Gb mini-SD card (remember it doesn't come with *ANY* maps, except the bare/useless basemaps), the entire TOPO 2008 will not fit onto a 2Gb card without doing a map segment hack on it and even if you do get it to fit getting additional maps to fit won't be very easy or even possible either. Where the Colorado will take a 4Gb SD card and since it comes with built in TOPO 2008 that means that entire 4GB SD card is free for other maps, I personally have the *entire* City Navigator 2009 NT mapset AND the entire 24k National Parks map set as well as the built in entire TOPO 2008 mapset and I still have over 2Gb FREE!!! Never fuss with changing memory cards or reloading maps again! definitely something to consider...

These are two very important features (to me at least) that seem to be neglected when people compare units.

Sincerely,

former 60CSx owner and now Colorado 400t convert

Edited by Aberrix

Also palms aren't exactly built very ruggedly so plan to replace it every year to sooner depending on your level of harshness.

What are you doing with them? Using them to open coconuts? The Palm I bought back in 1999 still works. I only upgraded recently because of the old one's limited memory, and since it was time for a new phone I'd thought I'd kill two birds with one stone.

There's no reason a palm shouldn't last as long as a GPS unit.

Just happened upon this thread, and thought I would share my thoughts. I had similar decisions to make just a few months ago and with the help of the forum, made my decisions and haven't regretted it for one minute. I went with the 60Csx and instead of the cost of the Topo maps (which I was told by several to be of little use on a small screen) I went with the free/donate as desired maps of Ibycus USA. Sometimes I wish I had the topo maps, and would like to see them on a gps sometime, but haven't really found them to be critical in finding caches, although I wonder if I might make a better decision on my routes sometimes LOL Along with the various problems of the Colorado.... along with the extra cost, I decided to not go with it. Cost is very critical for me as with others. I did buy a program that is very helpful in printing maps of my cache trips and managing my finds, future find, routes and tracks etc, and that is GeoBuddy. I would want this program regardless of what GPS I had, and with it the need for all the fancy features and built in maps diminishes significantly. Although I am now beginning to think about paperless caching, but don't think I made a mistake at all, about not getting the Colorado or Oregon. My thought here, are that rather than get a very expensive piece of equipment and rely on it for many functions, I would rather treat it like survival.... "clothing in layers" where if you have a failure, you have not had a $600 or $700 failure of ALL of your resources, but rather a smaller more manageable failure. I think that my gps is the most critical piece which I want to be rugged and reliable. I don't feel that touch screens and large displays (although they are nice as long as they survive) belong in the wilderness in one hand while hiking and climbing. A pda that is pulled out when on a break or stopped would be acceptable and if damaged would not be a total washout of the trip. I print maps of my trip, city or wilderness, and carry a "manual" compass just like I was planning on surviving if the chips fell down. I would hate to think that I was relying on my $600 + wonder machine that locked up or display decided to die etc, etc. So my compliment so far is Garmin 60Csx, Geobuddy ($49), Ibycus USA Maps (free/donation), Samsung S860 Camera ($92, unless you wanted overnight shipping for a cache trip like I did LOL) and 12-15 AA rechargeable batteries for a multiple day adventure. I did put $ into a 4gb card ($32 cause I was in a hurry) for my camera and a 2gb card (less than $10) for the 60Csx. That was about 129 finds ago and I haven't found a thing that I would change although I am now beginning to look at the luxury of paperless caching.

Just ordered my 60csx and feel really good about it. I suppose I will find out what all the fuss if about papered caching later but for the moment I have nothing against paper. Adventurers have had no real problems with paper for thousands of years so I'll try not to complain. I myself like holding a map in my hands or pocket. I am bringing my analog compass along too and plan on learning how to use it properly and not depend on the GPS every step of the way. I love gadgets but I am always the "what if something really bad happens" kind of guy. I still want my paper maps and analog compass just in case a large solar event or meteorite happens to land on me. Maybe I'll bring a helmet too

Also palms aren't exactly built very ruggedly so plan to replace it every year to sooner depending on your level of harshness.

What are you doing with them? Using them to open coconuts? The Palm I bought back in 1999 still works. I only upgraded recently because of the old one's limited memory, and since it was time for a new phone I'd thought I'd kill two birds with one stone.

There's no reason a palm shouldn't last as long as a GPS unit.

Ok, it may be a bit of a stretch... but my point is palms were not designed to be in the outdoors like gpsr's were.

Let me also elaborate also on why paperless caching is so important to me. I don't always know when I'm going to geocaching, so once a week I have my pocket queries e-mailed to me and I load them up in my GPSr (copy & paste .gpx files). I usually have my GPSr with me 80% of the time, you never know when you're going to need it (help I'm lost! or finding food/amenities in an unfamiliar town). Also, if myself or my family/friends should ever decide "hey, lets go geocaching!" on a whim I don't need to log on to my PC, find caches, print them off, load POI's to my GPSr, etc, etc. I have *all* the info (_full_ cache descriptions, difficulty rating, size of cache, hints and recent logs) in my GPSr ready to go so its power on GPSr and CACHE!! everything is always ready to go at a moments notice.

Edited by Aberrix

I have personally had a number of Garmins over the last few years including a Colorado 300.

Favourite by far is the 60csx.

And yes when I bother to take the Colorado out I ALWAYS take the 60csx as insurance espescially at nights when doing bat watches.

It may well not allow paperless caching on one unit but has few issues as a gps when compared to the Colorado.

As to the Oregon I have no experience with it.