Lone woman cacher and security issues - advice?

bigdogsrule

I would advise you to look into joining local Geocaching Orginizations or go to local events to meet other cachers so you are not out on the trails by yourself if it is a issue in your area.

If there is no local clubs or events then this may be the perfect time for you to host a meet and greet.

I am a single male and I get the creeps in some areas when i am out by myself.

If your were to get hurt or anything this could also be a issue.

If you ever need any input on holding a event to meet locals just send me a email and i could give you some advise if you would like.

I'm a pansy female and I don't do caches that are at places I wouldn't go normally, if I wasn't caching. I do mostly urban ones and don't go into the shady parts of town at night. Do caches during the day! You could take pepper spray but would it be effective for you to use? I don't know if I'm so quick to react that I would get it out before anything happens.

Why not take a friend?

You may wish to check out an earlier thread on this topic, now in the forum archives, which discussed this issue in depth (albeit that it was derailed a few times by sexist comments by one or two male posters) as it was quite comprehensive in the range of replies.

And, for the record, as you already know, since you live near us and you have already met Sue at events, my wife Sue is far more obsessive about geocaching than am I, and she often heads out alone on all-day or all-day-and-all-evening geocaching trips to places within about a 150 mile radius of here, where she spends all day (and/or all evening) alone in some pretty wild places and some pretty nasty urban parks, and this does not bother her one bit. And, our friend Lynn ( CCCooperAgency) regularly heads out to distant points within a 200 mile radius of her home, where she will spend perhaps 16 hours caching alone in all kinds of strange spots, including wilderness areas.

And, while I am sure that I have shared this tale in the past, here goes once more:

My friend Greta, is an animal communicator, artist and wilderness guide in Idaho and Wyoming, and she was my co-placer when placing Psycho Backcountry Cache #3 - Bitch Creek Crossing, and Psycho Backcountry Cache #4, which has since been archived. She owns a bunch of horses, and regularly takes visitor and hunters on many-day-long horsepacking trips in the wilderness in her work as a guide. However, for her own personal recreation, she will often head out alone into the rugged Teton mountains with her dogs and a few pack horses, on horseback, for a two week trip, totally alone (at least insofar as human company goes), even in the winter. So, being female does not necessarily impose any limits upon going out into the wilderness (or into strange urban parks...) alone!

I hate being a male chauvinist but even I get the creeps when I go out by myself. I always like to have at least one person (usually my son or my brother) along for the ride. If you a good knowledge of martial arts or something like that I guess it would be okay but it still wouldn't help with the non-human types that you might encounter. As much as it might be enjoyable going along, I would strongly suggest have a "swimming buddy" along - whether you are male OR female - to me the sex doesn't matter - either one could be vulnerable.

Situational Awareness - don't get so involved in the hunt you aren't aware of your surroundings. From where you park to the route you take look at your surroundings; people, vegetation, lighting.

Listen to you gut - if you get a feeling it's not safe leave. I've done it many times even caching with others. I'll never know if there was a real threat, but I do know I'm still here and kicking.

Don't carry or point any weapon (even pepper spray) unless you are committed to using it. If you carry pepper spray buy a second identical container and test how it operates. If you carry a firearm - take it to a firing range and practice.

Carry a cell phone and have a buddy you check in with on a regular basis.

I guess geocaching in the middle of nowhere is a lot like solo hiking. Some people are SO against it, but typically it isn't anymore dangerous than hiking with someone else--because yes, your partner can go get help, but they aren't suppose to leave you and most people don't really know what to do. The biggest danger, at least backcountry, is running into outlaws. Despite being against some laws, I have been known to have a handgun with me (yes yes, I am licensed to do so, which in some places still doesn't make it ok), especially when I am by myself.

I would advocate doing whatever you are comfortable with. If you aren't comfortable with handling a gun, either don't carry it or make yourself comfortable with it by taking taking classes and what not. Same goes with pepper spray, if you are comfortable with it, carry it along, especially if it make you feel better (the idea of buying an extra can just to see how it works is an excellent idea!!). And always look confident!

The MOST important thing, however, is that you plan your trip and leave the details of your trip with someone else. The most difficult part of this, however, is not the preparation, it is not changing your plans. If you must, you need to let someone know. And you need to let them know when you are home safe and sound. Sometimes just knowing that someone can retrace your steps if needed can give you that boost of confidence you need.

I hate being a male chauvinist but even I get the creeps when I go out by myself. I always like to have at least one person (usually my son or my brother) along for the ride. If you a good knowledge of martial arts or something like that I guess it would be okay but it still wouldn't help with the non-human types that you might encounter. As much as it might be enjoyable going along, I would strongly suggest have a "swimming buddy" along - whether you are male OR female - to me the sex doesn't matter - either one could be vulnerable.

I think your reply is very good, that is, very relevant, because it makes explicitly the point that I was trying to make in a much more subtle and implicit way in my reply above, and that is, that it is not about gender at all. Technically, anyone can be vulnerable, not just to attack by a wayward human, but to an attack by a grizzly bear or a cougar or snakebite from a venemous snake, and likewise, anyone might fall and break a limb, fall into a narrow canyon or crevasse, slide or fall down a steep tunnel, or suffer equipment failure (i.e., climbing gear, caving gear, scuba gear, etc...), and the vast majority of the risks to life and limb out there are simply NOT gender-based at all!

I don't think I'm sexist, but in my opinion it clearly IS more dangerous for a female to be alone in isolated spots than for males. There are just undeniably more male predators looking for female prey. The second reason, I admit, is more speculation. I think I am more willing to actually physically hurt someone who is attacking me than most women I know. I mean take the offensive, not just defend myself. One solution is suggested by your screen name. Big dogs really do rule!

Your profile shows you have three big dogs. If you can take one or more of them with you they can be the best first line of protection you have.

My dogs have alerted me more then once that some one was skulking around in the nearby bushes. (Of course each time that happened it was near a cache, and the people were fellow cachers. :) ) Very few people would attack some one that had a big dog with them.

If you did get hurt, your dog should stand by you and protect you until help can arrive. (Unless your dog is Rin tin tin, or lassie, then you can send them for help. :ph34r::blink: )

If your dogs are well trained, they can alert you to a bear or cougar before you ever see one. (If they are not well trained they could provoke said bear, or cougar.)

Since you are from Maryland and it is, for the most part, not a large wilderness area, my main concern would be dangers for either sex.

I realize there are some areas of venomous snakes and other wildlife, but health related issues would be my primary worry. Unless you have a cell phone with excellent coverage areas, the chance of you being taken ill and not near help are a real danger. A broken ankle, chest pain or allergic reaction are examples of incidents when a buddy could literally be the difference between life and death for you.

I am also female and though I am able to defend myself very well (and I'll not elaborate) I still don't like to cache alone unless I grab a few Urban Micros. Besides the safety factor, it's just more fun with someone else. If I do cache alone in a rural area, I make sure to mark my car's location and I let someone know where I'll be caching and about what time I'll be home. I also carry 2 cell phones, in case one doesn't get good coverage in that area.

good thread.

This really doesn't apply to just women, men alone can be targets too, and just not by human predators.

Back in the day, I used to do a LOT of mountain biking. Sometimes with friends but often or not I'd be alone. Twice I've come across a mountain lion and once a bear. Thankfully they were not interested in me.

My sister goes backpacking with a few friends every summer. She always takes one of her german shepherds with. Even when she would go jogging around the track at a local university, people leave her alone when she has her dog. Must be the police dog reputation that german shepherds have.

I'd recommend taking a large dog.

Classes in self defense is a good idea too.

Altho I believe in the 2nd amendment, carrying may not be a option. Unfortunately in my city, as far as private citizens are concerned, the city officials only believe criminals should be carrying concealed. There is no way a law-abiding citizen can get a permit to carry concealed.

I'm a middle-aged female, and I often hike alone, even in backcountry areas. I carry no weapons other than my trekking poles, and no, I don't know any martial arts. :ph34r: As Sgt Sue said, situational awareness is key. There are places I wouldn't hike alone, I pay attention to my surroundings (including sounds), and I don't camp overnight alone (as much because of animal predators as human ones). However, I have a couple of female friends who do backpack and camp alone - braver than I am! My other female caching friends think we are crazy, but what the heck. I hate missing out on good hikes because I can't find someone to go, plus the solitude and quiet enables me to see more of nature, including wildlife.

The chances of encountering predators are remote. Trails are not exactly a target-rich environment for human predators, so I don't worry about the people I encounter. Most animals are more afraid of you than you of them, will see you before you see them, and will run if given the chance. I've yet to encounter a bear while hiking (I'd kinda like to, actually).

That said, I've had two incidents that tested my resolve:

Round Top Mountain log

The One Less Traveled log

I haven't changed my habits.

Edited by hydnsek

I would advise you to look into joining local Geocaching Orginizations or go to local events to meet other cachers so you are not out on the trails by yourself if it is a issue in your area.

If there is no local clubs or events then this may be the perfect time for you to host a meet and greet.

I am a single male and I get the creeps in some areas when i am out by myself.

If your were to get hurt or anything this could also be a issue.

If you ever need any input on holding a event to meet locals just send me a email and i could give you some advise if you would like.

I'm a guy, and I personally recommend you recruit a male relative, or some other guy you know VERY well, or find SEVERAL women from a local geocaching group to go with. My first though when I read the suggestion to find a local group to find a partner was - gee that would be a great way for a rapist to pick victims, or maybe even for tag team muggers to get a single woman in a vulnerable position. I suspect going with 1 or 2 strangers from a local group would be a bigger risk than going alone to a remote trail - why would a predator bother sitting waiting in a remote location, when he could accompany his potential victim to the remote location?

If you live in a big city, you could stick to going solo when urban caching - there will be lots of areas that are perfectly safe at least in broad daylight. OF course, use your head here too - there are gonna be some areas you want to stay out of day or night. I'm from LA - and believe me - I avoid areas like Watts and Compton day and night. Of course, you might want to consider avoiding going solo to, say a large wooded park like Griffith Park.

Lots of good advice above and it sounds like you've already got some great ideas for keeping yourself safe. I've got the same concerns as well so I do what I can to stay safe. If I had a dog I'd bring it with me whenever possible. I do have pepper spray as well. I'm not sure how effective it would be but I've got it. I also always, always, always have my cell phone with me in my pocket and within easy reach.

Another good habit to get into is to do what serious hikers and climbers do which is to leave a note in your car and/or at home so someone knows what your plans were for the day in case they need to go looking. I know that sounds really doom and gloom and scary but I believe that one cannot be too careful.

Finally, use your head and stay aware of your surroundings and get out if you don't feel right about them. I once read that humans are the only species that sense danger yet continue on toward it. Animals flee when they sense something is not right yet we will move forward even though we feel very uneasy.

I have a tendency to get very focused on finding a cache and have to really struggle to sometimes turn off my geosense and tune into my safety sense. There was one particular multi that I tried which led me to a really creepy wooded area. I was so psyched about finding the first stages that I found myself plunging deep in there only to get really creeped out about 10 feet in. It was the final stage and I wanted it so bad but felt a real sense of danger and dread so I backed out and ran back to my car. I hate it that I didn't finish but it's going to have to wait until I've got someone else with me, preferably my big bad brother :ph34r:

That said, urban caches can be just as dangerous for a single female as wooded ones. I recently found a cache placed in a landscaped section outside of a local movie theatre. I was alone, I was focused and not paying attention to my surroundings, and I found it. Two days later a single woman was attacked, robbed, and sexually assaulted while getting out of her car within shouting distance of the cache. This was at 2 in the afternoon on a Wednesday in a very safe suburb of Detroit.

Wish I lived closer so I could cache with you! I've yet to find any other female cachers in my area to go out with. Stay safe!

Edited by Buggheart

I cache alone a lot. I feel pretty insecure on a lonely little used trail a mile from help or hearing of anyone. What do you do = not go? Carry pepper spray?

Just wondering if I should not do remote trails alone.

Frances

I can understand the concern. I'm not sure I would want my wife out alone whacking the bushes in some remote area of the bosque :ph34r:

I prefer woods hunts to urban hunts - by FAR! On several very remote trails, however, I've thought to myself: "If I dropped over right now with a heart attack, I'd be screwed." Or: "If I happen to stumble upon New Mexico's version of Jeffrey Dahmer, in this secluded place, I could be 'lunch' :blink: ". And I'm a guy. I can imagine how nervous a woman in the same situation might feel :D

Here are my suggestions:

1. Bring your dog (if you can), or

2. If your state licenses concealed carries, like mine does, consider it. Or

3. Pepper spray.

4. If those don't appeal to you, "say hello to my leetle fren":

Machete.jpg

Perfect for woods finds - probably legal, too (better check, though :lol: ). Someone would have to be suicidal to attack someone who's holding it :)

It has a belt loop so you have it at all times. If you hear someone stomping through the underbrush, unsnap it and hold it in your hand.

And ....you can also use it as a machete for thick growth :P

When we go caching we are at least (5) of us (including kids). Strength in numbers but if my kids would ever go out alone I would send our family dog with them. Friendly as ever but protective of my family. Rather be safe then sorry.

Also as someone else mentioned, let someone else know the area your going to be in or leave a note on the table. In case of a medical problem in the field, at least there is a base point to where to start looking.

:ph34r: Geo-Ninjas :blink:

I cache alone a lot. I feel pretty insecure on a lonely little used trail a mile from help or hearing of anyone. What do you do = not go? Carry pepper spray?

Frances

I also cache alone a lot. I know I shouldn't. What I do, is let someone know where im going and when I expect to get back. It's not failsafe, if I leave at 9am and not expected until 2, I could be laying there awhile with a broken leg, or worse. . .but I still do crazy caches alone, that's just me :)

I'm a middle aged female and I like to take another person caching with me. Sometimes I ask a muggle friend-I have gotten several people "hooked" on this activity-plus I get to share my find and fun with another.

My favorite caching partner is my older brother, and he is DARN good-I'm proud to say I showed him the ropes of caching. The problem is he lives over 230 miles from me.

That being said I still do at least 1/2 of my caches alone-since my husband works out of town. So I try to do less than 3 star terrain unless it in my turf. I'm a little concerned about that unexpected tumble in rough terrain.

Just my two cents!

This is more about comfort than about safety. Figure out what makes you comfortable. Since this isn't a Mission Impossible assignment, work within your comfort region unless you have a particular interest in expanding it. Different people's comfort regions won't be the same, but most people have large enough comfort regions to do plenty of caching.

Personally I feel far safer a long way out in the woods than in the city, and so do most of the women I know as personal friends. Human predators seldom expend the energy to go that far -- yes, there are exceptions, but rarely. Trail signs on the side of the road are vandalized regularly; trail signs 100' from the road and around a bend in the trail last ten to a hundred times as long. Should tell you something.

Rate risks. If you focus on risks from other humans, you may be focusing on the least of your risks. When hiking, depending on time of year and location, the greatest risk may be dehydration. It certainly is for many people I see walking on trails carrying little or no water. At other times in other places, lightning or hypothermia may be the greatest risks. All of those kill far more people than snakes or (in the backcountry) other people.

Edward

but seriously.

i cache alone in both urban and remote areas.

i leave home for weeks at a time with no set itinerary.

my mother always worries when i'm in remote areas even though it's much less likely that a predator will look for me way out there. predators are more likely to BRING you to a remote area than to HUNT you in a remote area.

there may be exceptions, but i cannot imaging a predator thinking "i'm gonna go out to a jeep trail offrum a back road nine miles from the nearest pavement and an hour out of the nearest town and wait for some defenseless woman to come by."

it's like hunting moose in manhattan. there just isn't that much opportunity.

maybe it's a bad attitude, but i figure if i die out there, i die out there. ya pays yer nickle, ya takes yer chances.

I'm not a very good example of safety, I'm afraid. I'm prone to crazy, spur of the moment weekend camping trips to wherever the mood hits me - and since I live alone, I usually camp alone. Well, not really alone... I am not brave enough to back-country camp, I pick state park campgrounds and places like that.

There've been times when I've called off a cache hunt, when I've been alone. Once it was just because I didn't like the way a man seated at a picnic table kept staring at me as I parked, to try to find a multi in a semi-remote wooded area. Never even got out of the car on that one.

Mostly, I figure, what's going to happen will happen. I just try not to help it along by being careless! Crazy, yes. Careless, no.

I also cache alone but take a dog with me whenever I go.

The only time I've really been in trouble was when my husband was with me. We were caching at a county park near our home when we came across a dog owner with 6 large dogs. Fortunately my husband was carrying an ammo can which he was in the process of swinging to hit the first dog when the owner called them all back. The second time we were close enough to get to the car to avoid being attacked.

My dog makes me feel secure but I still carry a cellphone and keep in contact with my husband at regular times. He also knows where I'm caching so he can help if needed.

Frances

To repeat what the other's have said, if trained, I'd bring at least one of your dogs and bring a friend when you can or join other cachers.

I will add that I cache in Maryland all the time so if you wanted some more park/trail advice drop me a line.

Happy hunting!

Frances

I've read the comments and believe them all to have merit. But I think the overall best approach is the same one I try to follow when hiking, hunting, fishing, boating, caching,etc.

Don't do it alone.......Not just considering some evil being lurking in the shadows, but what do you do if you have an accident, twisted ankle, bad cut, short of breath, or any type emergency ?

My favorite geo-coin is the Sunburst - Smiley coin which shows the value of geo-caching with family and friends.

1CaptainBob - Team Cape Travelers

Edited by 1CaptainBob

Take one or more of your dogs with you, seriously, the only risk you may be more likely to encounter being female is being attacked, and nobody is going to attack you if you have big dogs with you. If you are concealing some kind of weapon then by the time you get it out and are prepared to use it (or not) it means someone is already giving you trouble. Taking a dog with you will avoid that situation altogether.

Surely avoiding confrontation is better than being in a bad situation then having to rely on firepower!!

Depending on what kind of caches you hunt you could consider a spot. While on spot casting it will report your location every ten minutes. Your friends or family can see this on a web site. You can also send "OK" and "help" messages to email or text messages showing your location on google maps. In a worst case scenario you can summon help from search and rescue or the nearest authorities. Very handy if you are out and about alone.

http://findmespot.com/Home.aspx