Puzzle caches - making them

bigdogsrule

My puzzle caches came about by wanting something more than just going out and finding the cache. Yet puzzle caches may not get as many finds as straight forward traditional caches. They can be time consuming and they have a puzzle that can be fouled up. That's why when I'm just passing through an area with time constraints I'm more apt to ignore them and look for the straight forward traditionals.

Making a puzzle cache that is fun to solve is harder than it looks. It's easy to make a puzzle cache that is essentially impossible, and likewise easy to make a puzzle cache that takes only a bit of Googling to solve in a couple of minutes.

My advice for a new puzzle hider: Make the puzzle, and try it out on a couple of friends. If it takes them only a few minutes to figure out and solve, it is too easy. If it takes them a few hours (without any hints) it is probably about right. Ask them if they enjoyed it and learned something. Then refine it.

IMO, the worst puzzles are those of the "try to guess what I was thinking when I made this puzzle" variety. The best puzzles are those with a theme that carry the theme through the solution to the hiding location.

-//- If it takes them a few hours (without any hints) it is probably about right. Ask them if they enjoyed it and learned something. Then refine it.

-//-

a few hours? :ph34r:

the day i enjoy putting "a few hours" in a puzzle to get me to a cache is the day I sell my GPS, my hiking shoes and buy a puzzlebook.

TO ME, most of these "few hours mistery" makers are people wanting to show off their smarts rather then letting others enjoy a good cache.

why not make it a traditional, with the puzzle optional and have the results of the puzzle emailed in, then everyone can enjoy the cache.

and you get teh added bonus of actually seeing who you outsmarted. cant log a "did not solve".

but some folks love it. so hide what you like to find... or solve.

I just hope that misery cache that gets found every once in a blue moon isnt preventing someonelse from hiding a traditional in that brilliant location. thats my personal opinion.

then again, i guess its one way of still be caching trying to solve these puzzles when snowed in and then wehn spring comes you go out and get the cache. until then, im not selling my GPS or boots.

Edited by Guinness70

Puzzle cache's offer something more than, download coords, head to GZ, find cache, rinse-repeat.

Something that makes you use your noggin for something other than growing hair is good.

Nowhere does it say you have to find every cache available. The point is to have fun. If you dont like puzzle cache's then DONT DO THEM!. Pretty simple really.

Back on topic.

Check out and solve puzzle caches near your area. Look and see what others have done. You can the either copy or modify the puzzle. The internet is at your fingertips, pretty sure you can find something.

I like them, but I hate when people make them so hard - that it takes hours to figure out or not get it at all. Look at Appleton, WI 54913 for instance, we call it puzzletown there. Many, many puzzles, quite a few with only minimal finds which take up lots of "valuable" real estate. I would pick a puzzle you like to do, like logic puzzles, crosswords, whatever and then use that idea. I am trying to come up with one too, but one that is fun and challenging but not with one that is so difficulty nobody bothers to do it. One of my favorites I just did this past weekend. Someone took a map of a park, converted it to look like a spiderweb on the cache page and you had to use the lines on the web to find the cache. Hydes Web. Very cool. Good luck!

-//- download coords, head to GZ, find cache, rinse-repeat.-//-

aka geocaching

you mean these cachers want to make me smarter, never looked at it that way. how very nice! 2-19

fun puzzles are great :-)

whats wrong with making the puzzle optional and put the solution in the cache... make everybody happy,

lots of ways to put a smile on yer face

happy to discover the location

happy to log the find

happy to try the puzzle

happy to see they got it right

I agree with DLove, those "a few hours" puzzles are taking up "valuable real estate"

in MY perfect world these "few hours puzzle" caches would be logged in a lamppostcache. PUZZLE ON!

Is there a thread here somewhere about advice and ideas re making puzzle caches?

thanks

frances

I really enjoy making and solving puzzle caches. I am glad there are many different types of cachers out there. Some enjoy the traditional, micros under lamp skirts, etc... Some enjoy a more physical challenge (terrain) I enjoy a bit more of a mental challenge. (difficulty)

When I make puzzle caches, I go through the following steps: (roughly)

1. Find a location for the cache and get the coordinates.

2. Pick a puzzle type or theme. Nearly anything can be turned into a puzzle.

3. Decide how your are going to get numbers out of the theme. This can often be the hardest part.

4. Make sure there is only one possible solution. It can be frustrating to solve a puzzle and then not have valid coordiantes. If you are in doubt include a Geochecker link. www.geochecker.com

5. Take the time to generate a well written cache page, don't confuse cachers with things that aren't part of the puzzle.

6. Be prepared to answer questions and be responsive to questions

7. Be ok with the fact that a percentage of cachers will look at your cache once and then ignore it. You will have less finds than a lamp post cache, but you will also have longer and more meaningful log reports. We all cache for different reasons.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me, also feel free to look at my puzzle caches for ideas.

The Cooker

Edited by The Cooker

I agree with DLove, those "a few hours" puzzles are taking up "valuable real estate"

in MY perfect world these "few hours puzzle" caches would be logged in a lamppostcache. PUZZLE ON!

I disagree. Puzzle caches are good for those areas that aren't necessarily valuable real estate. They're good for those less then scenic areas where someone asks why would anyone want to bring me here,...well, because there's a really good puzzle cache there, that's why.

Edited by Luckless