Is it worth upgrading

Ed&Nancy

I have a Garmin Venture that I bought about 8 years and it still works just fine. I've recently been considering buying a new receiver but I'm wondering if it will be worth the investment. The Venture has held up great but I would like more sensitivity when in the woods. I only use it for caching and hiking.

Are the new receivers better performers (more sensitive, faster sat acquisition, etc.)? I know that many of the newer units have lots of bells and whistles that I'm sure are very nice but I don't think that is very important to me.

Any input is apprecitated.

Ed

You will be amazed by the new performance and features of the current generation of Etrex'. I still have my original Etrex Vista and am now using a Vista HCx. I paid $325 for the 1st gen Vista and $235 for the HCx. For $90 less, I get a color screen; external data card for virtually unlimited # of waypoints via customized POIs and more space for maps; a mush faster processor to redraw maps; and longer battery life. There are other little creature comforts as well, such as a calculator, longer characters in the waypoint name, stopwatch, proximity alarms, etc... That new mediatek chip is very good at tracking sats and remaining locked on. The Venture HCx should have all these things as well. You will not be disappointed.

Edited by Chuy!

Once you sample the hi sensitivity receivers, you will wonder how you ever did without. Also the new super hi res screens on the colorado/oregon make the unit very much better if it is used for driving as it can display the full faux 3D driving view as seen on a nuvi.

If all you are doing is looking for caches out in the open then there's no point upgrading.