supply caches

meathelmet

In order to spark new hides in my area I thought about making a cache full of things like cache containers log books official geocache stickers etc. in hopes that people will take them and place new caches. Where I work I have an unlimited supply of nice waterproof containers that would make great geocaches. I would like to get opinions on weather or not this is a good idea.

In order to spark new hides in my area I thought about making a cache full of things like cache containers log books official geocache stickers etc. in hopes that people will take them and place new caches. Where I work I have an unlimited supply of nice waterproof containers that would make great geocaches. I would like to get opinions on weather or not this is a good idea.

People used to hide "seed," "pay it forward," or "momma" caches that required you to hide a provided cache, in order to log a find. These got shot down, and are no longer approved. As long as you don't require other cachers to place a cache in order to log a find on your cache, everything sounds great to me.

I think that would be a great idea! I know of one in my area that is a coffee can full of micro's, I just haven't been able to get out to it yet.

I would love to be able to place a few cache in my area as well, but it's hard to find a place that won't be disturbed by muggles.

That is a great recipe for "Spam." :rolleyes:

Edited by Kit Fox

People used to hide "seed," "pay it forward," or "momma" caches that required you to hide a provided cache, in order to log a find. These got shot down, and are no longer approved. As long as you don't require other cachers to place a cache in order to log a find on your cache, everything sounds great to me.

I think that would be a great idea! I know of one in my area that is a coffee can full of micro's, I just haven't been able to get out to it yet.

I would love to be able to place a few cache in my area as well, but it's hard to find a place that won't be disturbed by muggles.

That is a great recipe for "Spam." :rolleyes:

Sheesh! This is getting to the point that I am wondering which one of us is the sock puppet and which one is the real live human, but, I must admit that once again, I agree with every one of Kit Fox's points!

If you're going to encourage people to hide caches, small to regular sized containers would be preferred....IMHO

Mine too. (but y'all know what opinions are worth) :ph34r:

When I hid my Proliferation cache, I stuffed it with prestocked, camo'ed decon kits.

4dee4efd-c34e-43d7-bb7f-db7ef2b3524a.jpg

Those have all been nabbed, so my next influx will be camo'ed Lock & Locks.

f011af45-13f6-416d-9a19-60030ca20c66.jpg

Naturally, if you prefer micros, feel free to disregard this opinion. :blink:

I'd much rather find a coffee can full of ammo cans.

Last weekend I went to an area that I hadn't cached in for awhile. The last time I was there I found a seed cache which contained a bunch of micro container that were about twice the size as a film container. The cache was located at the edge of a large cemetery. When I was back in the area last weekend I found two newer caches, both in/around the same cemetery with those containers.

While it's nice to have more caches in an area, seed caches tend to encourage finders to place the cache in the first place that they can find that can fit the container, rather than find an interesting spot for a cache first, then obtain an appropriate container for the location.

As a result, you might get a lot of new caches in the area, but you're going to get a lot of micro caches hidden in spots that might not be so interesting.

I *do* like the idea of a "cache contents" (logbook, small pencil, stash note in a plastic baggie) rather than a container. I have also seen some of the containers from that seed cache that I found labeled "Log Book" and placed in ammo cans or decon containers. It's actually a nice way to protect the log and separate it from the swag, although one of the things I like about ammo cans is that they tend to have large log books with plenty of room for people to write about their experience.