Signature Items

stevedet

Some folks leave hand-made or hand-decorated items that have some significance in their family, geographic area, other hobbies, etc. I have found hand decorated lady bugs, wooden mice and other craft items in caches. I leave signature pathtags and find that some others are doing the same.

You can get some ideas of themes others have used by viewing the gallery on the pathtags site. Just Google pathtags and that will get you there. Many themes can be applied in any medium.

I'm trying to come up with a signature item for my girls and I to start leaving in caches. I'd like to hear what some of the rest of you leave. Not with the intention of copying of course, just for some inspiration.

Thanks

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Lots of people have similar sigs. :rolleyes:

I'm not the first or the only person to do a smashed penny sig:

What's your signature item?

I started CHEAP with smiley face maze party favors that were 8 for a buck. I also put something glow-in-the-dark in any cache I did at night. I got a couple bags of glow dinos for $5 and I still have some nearly 6 years later.

Next I did red tiger's eye. I found a guy that sold it fo $8 a lb and I bought 10 pounds. I still have a few ounces left.

These are my new siggy:

My favorite sig coin is the 2 peso piece. These will be rare and given away as an extreme compliment to whomever receives one. :)

f9e95d2c-cd58-4c20-badc-f0c37b3727d6.jpg

A Bahamian Coin

38afa2b0-8860-43c9-99f8-df12bd027ee6.jpg

6e2757e5-788c-42d1-817c-d114ca53ed76.jpg

e9ff8b14-1158-4d7d-8d7b-dfc8e5bc1d57.jpg

3b38ade5-9599-43e9-9742-b78854f0c861.jpg

89c9de5f-9593-4b27-a4f8-d4f089fa29c2.jpg

c6b41132-569f-4268-8150-97ccb7e1ffe5.jpg

da2d213d-a0b1-420e-bcf4-85b995c93535.jpg

bcfb6191-02ca-4f63-a9fe-112f8a8d76fc.jpg

The die for this coin was damaged at the factory and has already been replaced.

fdc2cc37-b497-4200-9a42-8deef7f97c8e.jpg

continued

In the past couple of years, we have made geocoins, and two different versions of geo-tokens. This year, we did something different. We made custom trading cards. We are hoping these catch on and others make them and we can trade. These are just like the TOPPS Baseball cards you rememberas a kid.

GeoLobo

geolobo_both_Sides.jpg

Bluegirl

bluegirl_both_Sides.jpg

Edited by GeoLobo

Those are really nice cards. :ph34r: Are they laminated? Or do you trade them only at events? I do all kinds of crafts and jewelry making so I have been thinking of doing a fimo/sculpey signature item. Something inexpensive, fun to make, and will survive weather conditions in the cache.

They are not per se laminated, but they are glossy coated like a standard baseball card.

I just leave seashells. I got about 4 lbs of assorted tropical shells last year for some other projects, and find them handy to carry around, they generally easily fit in caches, and I have a variety of "levels" from basic scallop shells to small conch shells and polished bull whelks, depending on what I take or don't take.

I don't generally sign them, as I feel that leaves them lying in caches rather than being trade items, but I'll often mark the inside of it with a sharpie, so I can tell they are "mine" if I see them in a cache I haven't visted before.

Other friends of mine have:

A poker chip with a particolor blue and white chalice (quartered)

Green shamrock tokens

"pirate booty"

and leftover/spare event tokens from SCA events.

We've used little LED torches with our geocaching logo on them, and some multi-function cards (with compass, magnifying glass, ruler, bottle opener, screwdriver, etc. etc.) as sig items. We've left them in caches that we particularly liked, in caches we were the FTF (as a consolation prize to the STF), and as FTF prizes in our own caches.

A local team had some really nice swag that they often left when they were FTF. We always suspected that this was so potential rivals for the blank logbook might try a leeeetle less hard, hoping to get the consolation prize instead! (I know we followed them around until we finally got the hat we were after!)