Oregon - Dies after startup

Team Teague

Our Oregon 400t has been working great. I upgraded to 2.5 the day it came out, and still working fine.

Today I powered it on, hooked it up to the pc, through GSAK added a gpx file and after that, it won't power up.

I turn it on, it starts to power up, but then fades away. I attache it to the PC, it does the same thing. HELP! I've replaced the batteries two times. This is crazy....

Hey,

I had the exact same problem on my oregon and already wrote a post including the solution on this board.

(see: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...204072&hl=)

Solution:

Just go to:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Miscellaneous#toc3

and follow the instructions (at your own risk).

Basically you will need to downgrade to 2.4 using the updater.exe and the 2.40 Firmware. It took five to six tries till it worked on my unit. Once you are back to 2.4 you can update to 2.5 again using the webupdater. This worked for me and my Oregon is running smoothly ever since...

I don't know what caused the problem but I think it had something to do with transfering some gpx files from and to the Oregon....

Edited by binzi

I've had the a similar thing happen with mine now on 2.5. Seems to be right after you load a new gpx file that it happens. I was able to reboot several times and get it up and running however the caches from the gpx file seem to be corrupted. Every time I read a description, hint, etc the unit freezes requiring a battery pull.

I'll have to agree, it sort of feels like we traded the memory full issue for this new problem.

BTW, before you do anything trying pulling the SD card out if you have one to make sure you aren't running into freeze caused by having identical maps loaded in internal memory and on SD card.

GO$Rs

Probably unrelated but I had similar problem when my Colorado fell on the ground, it would start but soon turn itself off again. It started looking desperate for a while, it was second day of my vacation in Utah's Canynloands (Maze district for experts) and my GPS just gave up on me. I pulled bateries out and put them back in. No change. It started looking like my new hobby (geocoding pictures) would have to be suspended as I won't have any GPS log. Then I realised that I can try to pull out SD card and put it back in... and to my great relief it worked. The impact must have shifted the card and it lost contact with the unit.

As well as the excellent info above, i have found my sanity initially by doing a master reset first.....hold down top left of screen whilst powering on, then quickly pushing the "yes" button when appearing. It may take 2 or 3 goes for it to work (you have to be quick, otherwise the touchscreen doesnt seem to work with the buttons), however this will fix the problem in the meantime. This will allow you time then to downgrade the firmware at your leisure. :rolleyes:

Dont hold the top left down for too long...just long enough to activate the master reset, maybe around 5-10 seconds.

This has worked well for me now, and has allowed me to downgrade to Version 2.30.

mm

I do think some of the fixes in 2.5 are worth trying one more time. Most people who have had this issue seem to get 2.5 to work on the next try. I would master reset (if you haven't already) and remove any gpx files that are on the unit before you try upgrading next time. Perform the upgrade and then make sure the unit powers on/off correctly several times before you put any gpx files on the unit.

GO$Rs

I've seen my Oregon freeze during start-up countless times. I was travelling with two micro-SD cards containing 2000 geocaches each, and switching them according to region. When I switch the cards, Oregon obviously goes through process of reading all those geocaches, which takes some time, and with 2000 caches in my experience freezes at least 50% of time. Some times, after freeze, when it's turned on, it freezes again. Other times, it will just boot quicky, but geocache database ends up incomplete/empty (and nothing short of removing micro SD card and inserting different one/master reset can force it to read the card again).

Once it gets throuph process of reading whole geocache database without freeze, it usually works flawlessly until card change, although there's one hurdle. For weird reasons, sometimes Oregon reads geocache database even when the card isn't changed (you can tell, because start up takes much longer then usuall), and again freezes at least 50% of the time when attempting this.

It seems to be realed to former Memory full issue. With firmware prior to 2.4, unit offten generated Memory Full message after changing card, and ended up with incomplete geocache database, but freezes were less common. With 2.4 or 2.5 firmware, Memory Full message is gone, but freezes happen instead.

Master reset always worked for me, and it hardly ever freezes right after master reset. But, having to master reset unit about 5 times a week kinda sucks. I hope to see some fix for this soon.

I got the CO 400 C mainly because of the water. I guess it's the same as with ANY new device. I know that he's talking about an Oregon. I was just stating thats WHY i did not get one. well i'll add one to my collection.

I have not heard many good things about it... who knows.. Garmin is good at working out the bugs..

Good luck.

Edited by Giguchan

Master reset always worked for me, and it hardly ever freezes right after master reset.

I take this one back. It can be gotten to a state when it dies before you have a chance at master reset. I did the mistake of putting geocache files into unit directly, and it just died up. Since one can't effectivelly remove internal storage, there's no way to get it to some normal state. Recovery procedure worked for me, although I had to alter the step 6 (when you just realease power button after LOADER is displayed, it reboots and dies again, while holding the power button a bit longer seems to work). This is starting to become RPITA, though. Had this happened somewhere without computer access, I'd just end up with little worthless brick. Since this unit is supposed to be one of the best on the market for geocaching, and since simple pocket queries can so easilly break it, I would recommend everybody to just not buy this piece of trash right now. Bugs that break barometer are just a nuissance, but bugs such as this one make this unit very unreliable, IMO.

Edited by jup

Jup,

Thanks for the input... Perhaps there are other people who share the same issues. I dont know what other GPS forums that you go on.. there is a good one that i go to.. that helped me when i wanted to pick up a nuvi.

www.gpspassion.com and then there is the GARMIN site..they might have similar issues..if you have to take it back then you do... I think it might be the best for you. The "new"CO i picked up recemntly was supposed to be brand new.It clearly was'nt. I have no problems so far so i hope i'm lucky.

Best of luck keep us posted.