FTF obsessed?

WHO-DEY

I don't feel that any cacher is less than or more than another cacher. To me, any cacher with more than 100 finds and who is hiding for others is a top notch geocacher, and all the others are noobs who hopefully will BECOME top notch cachers.

Having said that, I cannot possibly understand why the fact that I list my FTFs on my profile could bother ANYONE. It's my profile page, and short of inappropriate words or images, I should be able to write whatever I want on my page. Listing FTFs is my way of journaling. Remembering the hunt, the race, if you will. I also keep all my FTFs in a bookmark list. Why? I like getting emails on caches that I found first. It's my thing.

How does that possibly bother or threaten anyone? Just the idea that me playing the game in my way causes anyone to sit at home and grit their teeth or bite their fingernails completely baffles me. It makes me sad. How the heck does what I do on my profile page affect anyone else?

All the bitching about how others play the game in the public forums just hurts the passion of someone who is enjoying the hunt, the race. For what benefit? Is your world somehow better if nobody has FTFs listed on their profile?

I don't feel that any cacher is less than or more than another cacher. To me, any cacher with more than 100 finds and who is hiding for others is a top notch geocacher, and all the others are noobs who hopefully will BECOME top notch cachers.

Having said that, I cannot possibly understand why the fact that I list my FTFs on my profile could bother ANYONE. It's my profile page, and short of inappropriate words or images, I should be able to write whatever I want on my page. Listing FTFs is my way of journaling. Remembering the hunt, the race, if you will. I also keep all my FTFs in a bookmark list. Why? I like getting emails on caches that I found first. It's my thing.

How does that possibly bother or threaten anyone? Just the idea that me playing the game in my way causes anyone to sit at home and grit their teeth or bite their fingernails completely baffles me. It makes me sad. How the heck does what I do on my profile page affect anyone else?

All the bitching about how others play the game in the public forums just hurts the passion of someone who is enjoying the hunt, the race. For what benefit? Is your world somehow better if nobody has FTFs listed on their profile?

I agree with you completely. in your profile if you have any stats listed that is your choice. It doesn't mean you are a bad person or are bragging. When you go to the DR office and they have all their certificates on the wall framed, Does that mean they are bragging too. No one here is breaking the rules. Everyone plays the game with their own touches added to it. What next ? Should all caches have the same contents too. Its the varity and diffrent experinces that really drive this GAME. If People like to go into forums and pick apart other people that are playing the same family game BUY THE RULES Then maybe this forum and game is not the right one for them. Maybe be a hockey forum might be more suited for them.

Edited by yodazuk

I am going to assume this is directed at me and if so I did say the profile thing didn't bother me as I thought it was probably being used as a journal just like you do.

Now stop dragging me into this conversation, I have caches to find! :laughing:

wahoo, my 279th post! :unsure:

Edited by KJcachers

We recently put out 8 caches all at the same time.

Several Cachers (three groups I think it was) went at it - they ran into each other while doing it.

They were racing against each other and helping each other sort of...

They all managed a FTF or more. (under our profile it's the Walls of Green Challenge)

Seems like they had a blast. They got to meet each other in the process. They were exposed to different aspects of the sport/game including benchmarks and waypoints and even the forums. It was better than we even thought it would be.

I have absolutely no problem with getting a FTF or giving one. It's the nature of the game/sport.

So far every person I have met has been very humble and never acts like they know it all or puts anyone down. Not to say they don't joke around or poke a little fun. I think it's part of what keeps us in.

We've had a lot of fun and have met some pretty big hitters if your into the numbers. All were just great people and willing to share and to listen. You really can't tell them from the noobe in some respects. Fact is we were all noobes at one point. We consider ourselves noobes still.

To us it's all about the journey!

We know and understand that people tend to let more go on the forms behind their keyboard than they would in person. It's all to common. But when you meet them you find out that they are usually pretty cool and act completely different than you thought they would. There are exceptions I'm sure, both ways. :(

Hope everyone gets to experience all that they set out for.

May you always cache with respect to the efforts of the hiders and the environment and may you always find what you seek.

And no it isn't about you!

Cache On!

Vince of the Flatouts

To us it's all about the journey!

We know and understand that people tend to let more go on the forms behind their keyboard than they would in person. It's all to common. But when you meet them you find out that they are usually pretty cool and act completely different than you thought they would. There are exceptions I'm sure, both ways. :(

Hope everyone gets to experience all that they set out for.

May you always cache with respect to the efforts of the hiders and the environment and may you always find what you seek.

And no it isn't about you!

Cache On!

Vince of the Flatouts

WELL PUT. :ninja:

He does have a premium account that he uses to run Pocket Queries for new caches in his area. Looks like this is him: http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default....c6-94b14b188f80. He is only using it to run Pocket Queries. Seems this account popped up right after he got 86'ed by Groundspeak. I know when I have seen a PQ on a Palm Tungsten pretty much everything on the cache page shows up. With him doing that he will not have to even go to a cache page until he logs a find with his non-premium account.

Trust me his Nevada location means nothing. You can put your location anywhere you want. Sad thing is, I doubt that those trackable's he has collected may never get back out on the geocaching trail.

When someone is banned, like this guy was, does Groundspeak ban the account or the person. If the person is banned, as I would think it should be, then shouldn't any new accounts for the same person (verified by e-mail address or IP address) also be banned?
He does have a premium account that he uses to run Pocket Queries for new caches in his area. Looks like this is him: http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default....c6-94b14b188f80. He is only using it to run Pocket Queries. Seems this account popped up right after he got 86'ed by Groundspeak. I know when I have seen a PQ on a Palm Tungsten pretty much everything on the cache page shows up. With him doing that he will not have to even go to a cache page until he logs a find with his non-premium account.

Trust me his Nevada location means nothing. You can put your location anywhere you want. Sad thing is, I doubt that those trackable's he has collected may never get back out on the geocaching trail.

When someone is banned, like this guy was, does Groundspeak ban the account or the person. If the person is banned, as I would think it should be, then shouldn't any new accounts for the same person (verified by e-mail address or IP address) also be banned?

I am sure that, as most sites do, Groundspeak effects the ban on the technical level by using both email address and IP address as signs. However, of course, the reality is that a small percentage of folks will, when banned from a site or forum, simply go to the trouble to access the site from a different IP address, perhaps by driving to the free PC kiosk at the public library or by using a proxy server service, and that can make keeping them out much harder, that is, until they engage in more bizarre online behaviors which betray their identity like a flashing strobe light!

This player did have his premium account closed. Sorry to say he is back. Here is the link to his new profile. http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=ee...a9-696eb641f551 It is a non premium account. His first find was a PMO cache, so he undoubtedly has a Premium Membership he uses to get instant notifications and PQ's. GC1GP2F His log entry is typical of his previous cache entries when he was TheManInStripes.

that account is banned as well....I guess they are on to him. :(

Edited by WHO-DEY

I didn't even know this was responded too.

We did not recieve the so-called e-mail that Yodazuk states.

Isn't it strange that if you look at your profile, you did not do much activity of geocaching right before you met me and suprisingly you stopped emmediately after. You have not gone for any caches or ftf's. Hmmm Interesting. Have I broken your little heart? I never brought up the crush part... oops.. I guess I just did.

The point on the FTF certificate that you missunderstood and passed on to your "friends" is that it was a $20.00 value and you still had to make an exchange and as we know and you try to announce to trade fairly on the value of the items. You did not. I can't believe you even made an exchange in the first place. You got your FTF and $20.00 in your pocket.

Would that not make anyone suspect obsessiveness?

You kept trying to get us to plant caches with you. I don't get it. I know you bought what....$80.00 in swag and ammo boxes and you planted..... one. Be a big boy.

You say you don't care about the FTF's, but in an earlier post you say it is so important and your son puts them up on the wall. Well.... which is it?????

You were not "planning" the trip. You called me to let me know you were going because of our cache and while you were out there you would stop on the way for some others.

You would call me every day and bug about when we were putting up caches, or have you been out jeeping and where did you do (so you might get a heads up of where we might plant some).

I wonder when this future planned trip to the whiteshell is going to happen?

Jeepers

Game over :)

I'm Probably taking a chance of being jumped on by others but here is my side of the story (yes, we are the supposedly obsessed FTF'ers that JEEPers is refering to)

First of all, thier caches were placed in areas that gave us more reason to go there as there are only a few caches in those area's (which we made a point of getting all the other ones in the surrounding area) . We could really care less about the FTF certificates, we could even mail them back if they like, My son gets realy excited when he looks into the caches and sees an FTF certificate(pity). As for unfair trading, i have no clue what they are talking about unless they mean their treasure $20.00 tim hortons card which i did not notice becase my son retrieved the FTF, we took a picture, did your trade, signed log and did not notice it untill we were drivign out of the area( which that day we hit 9 caches including 1 DNF and 3 which i was not aware of)Meaning that we did not go all the way out there just for jeepers cache.

Back to the Tim Hortons Card, When we looked at it, it was clearly marked FTF Prize, We took a picture of it, waiting for this moment. We can post the picture if anyone would like to see it in our defence The picture is a close up on the writing that states it is an FTF Prize. After I noticed the going ons about this Tims Certificate. I didnt realize that it was to be a travel bug of some sort of TB or should be tagged as one(concidering it came 1200 miles) and they would like it moved on instead of used. So i have placed it in a zip lock bag with one of there coins so that they can track it too. I had emailed them as soon as i noticed that they were upset and told them, If they were upset about me going to there caches(which some sat a few days before I went to) that I would leave their caches alone because its not worth all this B.S. They did not respond. Furthermore, if i was truly FTF obsessed, why would I go to a cache or find a cache, not log it, and sit and wait till a few other people log it. A good example is their is one half a block from my house and their are a few new caches that I have placed and someone were to get the FTF's for each of them then all the power to them, they were first to get there. Futhermore any FTF certificate that my family and I have gotten, we've gotten from seeing the publishing coming up just like everyone else does who has a premium membership. We are planing a trip to the whiteshell and I dont think that any of the other cache placers will mind if we find their caches as we will make sure that we dont visit anymore of the said persons caches.

As for the comment about asking for gas money, which was clearly a friendly joke(and they know it was) as we were on a friendship basis. After finding one of their caches in terrible weather another fellow cacher posted a note on their cache commending us for braving the poor weather and bad conditions then they procided to post a note with the sole and only intention to slam us. When not understanding the rules and guidelines of geocaching one should read them. If they like they can continue washing their dirty laundry in here which I do not like to do, but I did feel it was time to finally clear this up. I have let my two older daughters see all of these going on's and as young kids, They are totally flabergasted. I want to make sure that they are fully prepared for all the B.S that life can throw at them,And this is a good example.

Its a pity that this B.S has to be in a family hobby and we are very sorry if we have enjoyed your caches.

We are not to fond of city caches so we like the country ones. This will be my one and only posting on this.

I didn't even know this was responded too.

We did not recieve the so-called e-mail that Yodazuk states.

Isn't it strange that if you look at your profile, you did not do much activity of geocaching right before you met me and suprisingly you stopped emmediately after. You have not gone for any caches or ftf's. Hmmm Interesting. Have I broken your little heart? I never brought up the crush part... oops.. I guess I just did.

The point on the FTF certificate that you missunderstood and passed on to your "friends" is that it was a $20.00 value and you still had to make an exchange and as we know and you try to announce to trade fairly on the value of the items. You did not. I can't believe you even made an exchange in the first place. You got your FTF and $20.00 in your pocket.

Would that not make anyone suspect obsessiveness?

You kept trying to get us to plant caches with you. I don't get it. I know you bought what....$80.00 in swag and ammo boxes and you planted..... one. Be a big boy.

You say you don't care about the FTF's, but in an earlier post you say it is so important and your son puts them up on the wall. Well.... which is it?????

You were not "planning" the trip. You called me to let me know you were going because of our cache and while you were out there you would stop on the way for some others.

You would call me every day and bug about when we were putting up caches, or have you been out jeeping and where did you do (so you might get a heads up of where we might plant some).

I wonder when this future planned trip to the whiteshell is going to happen?

Jeepers

Game over :blink:

I'm Probably taking a chance of being jumped on by others but here is my side of the story (yes, we are the supposedly obsessed FTF'ers that JEEPers is refering to)

First of all, thier caches were placed in areas that gave us more reason to go there as there are only a few caches in those area's (which we made a point of getting all the other ones in the surrounding area) . We could really care less about the FTF certificates, we could even mail them back if they like, My son gets realy excited when he looks into the caches and sees an FTF certificate(pity). As for unfair trading, i have no clue what they are talking about unless they mean their treasure $20.00 tim hortons card which i did not notice becase my son retrieved the FTF, we took a picture, did your trade, signed log and did not notice it untill we were drivign out of the area( which that day we hit 9 caches including 1 DNF and 3 which i was not aware of)Meaning that we did not go all the way out there just for jeepers cache.

Back to the Tim Hortons Card, When we looked at it, it was clearly marked FTF Prize, We took a picture of it, waiting for this moment. We can post the picture if anyone would like to see it in our defence The picture is a close up on the writing that states it is an FTF Prize. After I noticed the going ons about this Tims Certificate. I didnt realize that it was to be a travel bug of some sort of TB or should be tagged as one(concidering it came 1200 miles) and they would like it moved on instead of used. So i have placed it in a zip lock bag with one of there coins so that they can track it too. I had emailed them as soon as i noticed that they were upset and told them, If they were upset about me going to there caches(which some sat a few days before I went to) that I would leave their caches alone because its not worth all this B.S. They did not respond. Furthermore, if i was truly FTF obsessed, why would I go to a cache or find a cache, not log it, and sit and wait till a few other people log it. A good example is their is one half a block from my house and their are a few new caches that I have placed and someone were to get the FTF's for each of them then all the power to them, they were first to get there. Futhermore any FTF certificate that my family and I have gotten, we've gotten from seeing the publishing coming up just like everyone else does who has a premium membership. We are planing a trip to the whiteshell and I dont think that any of the other cache placers will mind if we find their caches as we will make sure that we dont visit anymore of the said persons caches.

As for the comment about asking for gas money, which was clearly a friendly joke(and they know it was) as we were on a friendship basis. After finding one of their caches in terrible weather another fellow cacher posted a note on their cache commending us for braving the poor weather and bad conditions then they procided to post a note with the sole and only intention to slam us. When not understanding the rules and guidelines of geocaching one should read them. If they like they can continue washing their dirty laundry in here which I do not like to do, but I did feel it was time to finally clear this up. I have let my two older daughters see all of these going on's and as young kids, They are totally flabergasted. I want to make sure that they are fully prepared for all the B.S that life can throw at them,And this is a good example.

Its a pity that this B.S has to be in a family hobby and we are very sorry if we have enjoyed your caches.

We are not to fond of city caches so we like the country ones. This will be my one and only posting on this.

I have not gone for any caches because I can no longer ride the quad or walk long distances due to an injury and as for the rest of it Get Real! Only one Obsessed is you with yourself and how you think your caches are great because you throw money at them. Best caches I have found were micros. No swag involved !!!! :anibad:

Not worth discusing any further

Edited by yodazuk

While this thread kept my attention for a page or so, the flaming just wore me out. So I skipped to the end. I apologize if this information is already addressed in this thread. I wish to address the original question. In my case I set up a gmail account. You can set up a filter in gmail to forward emails. Mine looks for the word "Publish" or maybe "Published" anyway, then it forwards it to my phone as a text. This allows me the luxury of deciding when and if I wish to try to get it.

The reviewer in our area likes to publish caches really early in the morning and late in the evening. Which give a "family" more options for the FTF.

If you would like help setting up gmail and the filter just email me and I would be glad.

For you FTF obsessed. I have set up a server that when it gets the notifications it follows the link in the email to GC.com and gets the coords, hint, difficulty/terrain, and Name. and texts the info to my phone. The internet is too slow on my phone and this works quicker. All the needed info for a FTF within 15 seconds of the original Publishing Email notification.

While I am not FTF obsessed I will not pass one up if it comes at a convenient time.

Have a nice day.