FTF obsessed?

WHO-DEY

CONFIRMED. HE HAS BEEN BANNED. :rolleyes:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?u=TheManInStripes

I can't find that cache in the website. I have a couple bugs wandering around up there, does someone have a link to this cache?

You can't find it because it's an unpublished cache. He's using as an inventory holder for some trackables that he has. Looks like he's had a few in there for a number of months.

To see what he has in there you have to go to his profile and then look at the trackables section. Just look for the TBs that have a location of "Just Pissing People Off".

To me it says alot about his character. :(

Edited by ace862

I have hidden 2 or 3 caches at a time and have the cache listing all set up to be published but only post 1 at a time to be published if they are in the same park or within a couple of miles of each other. In other words, I won't click the box for the cache to be reviewed until the previous cache has been published. In my area there are around 4 FTF hounds who I see claimed the FTF on my caches as well as most of the others around. I don't care who is FTF but I like to give everyone a chance at the FTF rather than the first person who gets to the park gets all of the FTF's which usually happens. By listing them on different days, the same person MIGHT get all of the FTF, but at least everyone gets an equal opportunity for it.

I have hidden 2 or 3 caches at a time and have the cache listing all set up to be published but only post 1 at a time to be published if they are in the same park or within a couple of miles of each other. In other words, I won't click the box for the cache to be reviewed until the previous cache has been published. In my area there are around 4 FTF hounds who I see claimed the FTF on my caches as well as most of the others around. I don't care who is FTF but I like to give everyone a chance at the FTF rather than the first person who gets to the park gets all of the FTF's which usually happens. By listing them on different days, the same person MIGHT get all of the FTF, but at least everyone gets an equal opportunity for it.

I think this might annoy some FTF hounds since they might have to make the trip to the same park several days in a row but I am all about keeping things fair. :rolleyes:

I think this might annoy some FTF hounds since they might have to make the trip to the same park several days in a row but I am all about keeping things fair.

You present a fascinating dilemma: which is more annoying: the FTF hounds or the "dribble out the caches" people?

Seems pretty much a tossup to me. :rolleyes:

I think this might annoy some FTF hounds since they might have to make the trip to the same park several days in a row but I am all about keeping things fair.

You present a fascinating dilemma: which is more annoying: the FTF hounds or the "dribble out the caches" people?

Seems pretty much a tossup to me. :D

I guess we can take a survey... :rolleyes: To tell you the truth neither bother me so I am neutral. Except for the fact that people will be voting to say that I am annoying. ;):(

Edited by slukster

Seems pretty much a tossup to me. :)

What about "neither?"

Fascinating it may be, but it’s not a "dilemma." The "di" in dilemma implies there are only two options available. What you present is a fallacy known as a false dichotomy, also referred to as a false dilemma.

Because it isn’t necessary for a cacher to be annoyed by either group of people, there is clearly a third choice; it's the one I happen to prefer. I am annoyed by neither the FTF hounds nor the "dribble out the caches" people.

I choose "neither." Looks like slukster prefers the same choice. Not much of a 'di'-lemma, eh?

CONFIRMED. HE HAS BEEN BANNED. :)

I can't find that cache in the website. I have a couple bugs wandering around up there, does someone have a link to this cache?

You can't find it because it's an unpublished cache. He's using as an inventory holder for some trackables that he has. Looks like he's had a few in there for a number of months.

To see what he has in there you have to go to his profile and then look at the trackables section. Just look for the TBs that have a location of "Just Pissing People Off".

To me it says alot about his character. :huh:

It took me about 1/2 hour, but I went through every one of his "finds" and emailed everyone effected by this moron. I hope people in his area go grab his bugs and coins and make them "disapear"....what a butt.....

CONFIRMED. HE HAS BEEN BANNED. :)

While the total site-wide banning is new, I suspect that he was banned from the forums (which is different than being banned from the entire geocaching.com site) for a while, because his posts to the forum abruptly stopped many months ago. And, I remember that he has, in the past, been responsible for sending some pretty pissy and (and entirely uncalled for) nasty posts at times, although I notice that some of the worse ones seem to have disappeared entirely from the forum since they were first posted; I must assume that they were deleted by mods. So, all I can say about this one is "Good riddance!". He was a nasty piece of work!

Got a weird e-mail from someone pointing me to this thread:

--- >8 --- cut here --- 8< ---

Delivered-To: nick@silkey.org

Received: by 10.66.244.15 with SMTP id r15cs128708ugh;

Mon, 6 Oct 2008 05:50:03 -0700 (PDT)

Received: by 10.141.23.7 with SMTP id a7mr2834402rvj.5.1223297402533;

Mon, 06 Oct 2008 05:50:02 -0700 (PDT)

Return-Path: <noreply@geocaching.com>

Received: from signal.Groundspeak.com (signal.Groundspeak.com [66.150.167.157])

by mx.google.com with ESMTP id g22si16238913rvb.8.2008.10.06.05.50.01;

Mon, 06 Oct 2008 05:50:02 -0700 (PDT)

Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of noreply@geocaching.com designates 66.150.167.157 as permitted sender) client-ip=66.150.167.157;

Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of noreply@geocaching.com designates 66.150.167.157 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=noreply@geocaching.com

Received: from R4 (r4.Groundspeak.com [66.150.167.150])

by signal.Groundspeak.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 3865B9FF00

for <nick@silkey.org>; Mon, 6 Oct 2008 05:50:01 -0700 (PDT)

X-Originating-IP: [75.174.161.218]

X-Mailer: Groundspeak Mailer

MIME-Version: 1.0

To: nick@silkey.org

Reply-To: quitwritingme@yahoo.com

Date: 6 Oct 2008 05:50:01 -0700

Subject: [GEO] NOBODY IMPORTANT contacting filler & bcat from Geocaching.com

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Message-Id: <20081006125001.3865B9FF00@signal.Groundspeak.com>

Your coin or bug has been hijacked by a very uncool a******. Please see=

the following link in the forums:=0D=0Ahttp://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php63&showtopic=3D204757&st=3D100entry3664626=

=0D=0A=0D=0AUser's Profile:=0D=0Ahttp://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=3Dc42176da-ab59-4928-b5cc-5b0a94e357d6=

=0D=0A=0D=0A------------------------------------------------------------=

=0D=0AForward abuse complaints to: contact@geocaching.com

So ... yeah ... WTF?

I think this might annoy some FTF hounds since they might have to make the trip to the same park several days in a row but I am all about keeping things fair. :D

I was working on a building new hiking trail and at the end of each day's work I would hide a cache if I could find a nice spot. The same person would be the FTF on each. As I got farther from the trailhead I started to feel bad, as eventually it was a 5 mile round trip. He kept at it though and obviously was enjoying the caches. You have to give the man credit for his perseverance.

CONFIRMED. HE HAS BEEN BANNED. :D

To me it says alot about his character. :blink:

I have a fix (sort of) for buttheads like this guy: I make a metal or wood tag with the tracking number on it and send it out connected to a picture of the coin. If you already lost the coin and if you didn't take a picture, you can usually find one online and print it out. Then put it in a coin protector you can buy online. I don't send any coins out anymore. It makes it nice for events, because people get to see the coin, AND it gets to travel, so to say. Those buttheads can steal my coin, but they can't steal the number! It doesn't matter if they "register" the find again as the photocopied coin will be in a cache somewhere and someone else will register it as a find and then they once again, don't "have it". It completely pisses of the thief!

I love being FTF. My first FTF was in Montana and I live in California. You never know where you will get one. I've gotten the FTF on caches that have sat unfound for a week. Mostly though, I've gone right out after a new cache. I've gotten the FTF on a series that was placed out at the river. I went on a moonless night and zoomed out the door at 10:30 PM knowing full well I had to get up at 6:15 AM the next day for work. I got the FTF on all but one in that series and my neighbor down the block beat me to the other one. I got a GREAT case of poison oak out of that series. I've gone up steep hillsides on dark nights seeking the FTF. If you are willing to throw common sense out the window and go caching at a moments notice when you know you really ought to go to bed then you will probably get the FTF as well.

Lately there have been a lot of new caches very near to my home coordinates. I've gone out and gotten the FTF on only 2 of them and left the other 8 or 10 for other folks to get. When I started I wanted 10% FTF - I wanted to have 100 FTF by the time I hit 1,000 cache finds. Hmmmmmmmmm........ no problem as it turned out. Then I decided I wanted 200 FTF by the time I hit 2,000 cache finds. It's going to take me quite a while to hit that many cache finds and, even though I've mostly quit trying for the FTF, I already have 180 toward my goal of 200. Eventually I'll hit the 200 FTF mark and most likely I won't put much effort (if any) into the FTF race any longer.

It used to be fun to run into the other folks who were out searching for the FTF but, these days, there are really only a few left in the area who do that. Most of the FTF around here now go to one specific person who has well over 350 FTF. He's had 20 in a single day and 48 in one month. He's welcome to them. That sounds like work to me and I cache for fun.

I've watched the bomb squad get a FTF on a cache because someone too eager didn't bother to at least wait till daylight to go wandering around, their flashlight caught some attention, and the resulting container found was detonated!

:D

Use common sense, people.

Got some clarification from NOBODY IMPORTANT:

Delivered-To: nick@silkey.org

Received: by 10.66.244.15 with SMTP id r15cs165020ugh;

Tue, 7 Oct 2008 04:32:14 -0700 (PDT)

Received: by 10.142.139.19 with SMTP id m19mr2593673wfd.154.1223379132622;

Tue, 07 Oct 2008 04:32:12 -0700 (PDT)

Return-Path: <quitwritingme@yahoo.com>

Received: from web110516.mail.gq1.yahoo.com (web110516.mail.gq1.yahoo.com [67.195.8.121])

by mx.google.com with SMTP id 24si16753565wfc.6.2008.10.07.04.32.10;

Tue, 07 Oct 2008 04:32:11 -0700 (PDT)

Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of quitwritingme@yahoo.com designates 67.195.8.121 as permitted sender) client-ip=67.195.8.121;

DomainKey-Status: good (test mode)

Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of quitwritingme@yahoo.com designates 67.195.8.121 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=quitwritingme@yahoo.com; domainkeys=pass (test mode) header.From=quitwritingme@yahoo.com

Received: (qmail 95179 invoked by uid 60001); 7 Oct 2008 11:32:10 -0000

DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;

s=s1024; d=yahoo.com;

h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Message-ID;

b=RrKBKkokuNeA3htWpAHytGZTTmlgwKurad4MRitacTEHPln/h/ZMOHf+rnVBiGOV+183XMScAyTyCdRpLrBVlBHv5MDzxohwEn+0M4eqIhJdySTCHq/hbBhDCemV35YxEBpFX+vY9j9b3C39tv7TGEPQAdgdDfRrzjwZnT9SB24=;

X-YMail-OSG: .eNTD4cVM1lfvWpW.IMicMJeMk2k46wfOoMbx3x8dvQi.KrxSRRRd7aYlnL6_gNDfYcneNzdxAtPyQTD7qq4R70cMs6DGDIyqzpYVz.DygeHusm6miXiLH7912oUsorD_PTHGvvxpFsAH6KWgPo267ClPxPVqjVaDa5Cu7N.iL7GTL706NY-

Received: from [75.174.161.218] by web110516.mail.gq1.yahoo.com via HTTP; Tue, 07 Oct 2008 04:32:09 PDT

X-Mailer: YahooMailWebService/0.7.218.2

Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 04:32:09 -0700 (PDT)

Reply-To: quitwritingme@yahoo.com

Subject: Re: [GEO] NOBODY IMPORTANT contacting filler & bcat from Geocaching.com

To: Nick Silkey <nick@silkey.org>

In-Reply-To: <1cb9e23c0810060952t27b40ae2o9420e43538b9d881@mail.gmail.com>

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="0-1292750729-1223379129=:94616"

Message-ID: <989425.94616.qm@web110516.mail.gq1.yahoo.com>

--0-1292750729-1223379129=:94616

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

You have a bug called "elf". It has been stolen. Read the following. Here i=

s the link to WHERE your bug is, but it's a bogus cache.....read on.....=A0=

In reply to your email, I sent you the email pointing you to a thread in th=

e geocaching forums about a cacher who is stealing coins and bugs and placi=

ng them in an "unpublished" cache he owns called "just pissing people off".=

Here is the link to his profile. Look under the trackables he has found, a=

nd you will find one or more of your missing coins and bugs.

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default....TheManInStripes

I sent this email to you, because I have had some stolen in the past and ha=

ve some in his area. Fortunately, he hasn't robbed me personally, but if yo=

u got an email from me, he HAS gotten you. It took me at least a 1/2 hour t=

o write everyone he has stolen from. Read backwards on the thread for more =

info. He has been banned from the forums, but I'm not sure if he was banned=

from the website. Hope this clears up my email.....good luck. Maybe someon=

e can make friends with him and get an address, then force him to give up t=

he goods or face someone showing up on his doorstep.

C'est la vie. Some bugs travel, some bugs dont. And some people are just schmucks.

CONFIRMED. HE HAS BEEN BANNED. :blink:

While the total site-wide banning is new, I suspect that he was banned from the forums (which is different than being banned from the entire geocaching.com site) for a while, because his posts to the forum abruptly stopped many months ago. And, I remember that he has, in the past, been responsible for sending some pretty pissy and (and entirely uncalled for) nasty posts at times, although I notice that some of the worse ones seem to have disappeared entirely from the forum since they were first posted; I must assume that they were deleted by mods. So, all I can say about this one is "Good riddance!". He was a nasty piece of work!

This player did have his premium account closed. Sorry to say he is back. Here is the link to his new profile. http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=ee...a9-696eb641f551 It is a non premium account. His first find was a PMO cache, so he undoubtedly has a Premium Membership he uses to get instant notifications and PQ's. GC1GP2F His log entry is typical of his previous cache entries when he was TheManInStripes.

We have placed more caches than finds. We are now getting smarter and are listing the caches randomly so that if two were placed in one general area (for us out in the bush) they will not be listed in one day, maybe weeks apart. It is not fair that the first person to make the effort will get all of our placed caches. We will make it more difficult. Some cachers know our hunting grounds and will make the first effort attack, so we have to move our area's of choice so it is not always the same FTF person. No one should have an unfair advantage.

Georgette

No one should have an unfair advantage.

It's been my experience that there is no such thing as an "unfair" advantage. Because I choose to pay for a premium membership, I have access to a greater set of tools than someone who does not choose to pay for a premium membership. Utilizing the tools available to you can hardly be considered "unfair".

It's been my experience that there is no such thing as an "unfair" advantage. Because I choose to pay for a premium membership, I have access to a greater set of tools than someone who does not choose to pay for a premium membership. Utilizing the tools available to you can hardly be considered "unfair".

All I am saying is that I won't put 2 caches up in the same area the same day. I will split them up. If you are keen enough to go out again for a second FTF the next day, then you deserve it. But I will not make it easy for you to hit 2 in the same area.

georgette

I am relatively new to geocaching. (6 whole weeks!) Having just logged my very first FTF today, I found it a lot of fun, from seeing the email as it came in, realizing "hey, I have a chance to be the FTF!", ripping out the door, hurrying up the highway and then prowling around the site until I found the cache. Since I love writing in logs, it was fun to be the one to pen the first entry in that log.

And now I've had that experience and don't feel that I need to rack up a pile of FTFs. As someone said "It's about having fun." I am not particularly competitive, so certainly don't need to beat someone to a cache to have fun.

And just yesterday I was thinking: "I'll probably never, ever be FTF!" So don't give up!

Ms Muffet

All I am saying is that I won't put 2 caches up in the same area the same day. I will split them up. If you are keen enough to go out again for a second FTF the next day, then you deserve it. But I will not make it easy for you to hit 2 in the same area.

georgette

But if you think about it, you're not making things any more fair by splitting them up. Yes, the one person gets the ftf on both caches in the same run but it still comes back to a person wanting them and arriving first to the area where those two caches were hidden. One person may get them this time, another may get them next time. It's not unfair to get more than one ftf at a time as this can happen with you, me, or anyone else who goes for them.

Also, while i myself do not believe that your method of splitting them up to make people work for them is unfair, i do think that there's a possibility that it might actually cause hard feelings for some cachers. Example being, a cacher who drove 50 miles to get the first ftf but couldn't afford or didn't want to waste any more gas or time on a 2nd trip, or a cacher who was on his day off from work on the first trip but not when the 2nd cache came out. Like i say, i don't see this as being unfair to anyone but it sure wouldn't surprise me if someone else came along and let it upset them! :blink:

But if you think about it, you're not making things any more fair by splitting them up. Yes, the one person gets the ftf on both caches in the same run but it still comes back to a person wanting them and arriving first to the area where those two caches were hidden. One person may get them this time, another may get them next time. It's not unfair to get more than one ftf at a time as this can happen with you, me, or anyone else who goes for them.

Also, while i myself do not believe that your method of splitting them up to make people work for them is unfair, i do think that there's a possibility that it might actually cause hard feelings for some cachers. Example being, a cacher who drove 50 miles to get the first ftf but couldn't afford or didn't want to waste any more gas or time on a 2nd trip, or a cacher who was on his day off from work on the first trip but not when the 2nd cache came out. Like i say, i don't see this as being unfair to anyone but it sure wouldn't surprise me if someone else came along and let it upset them! :blink:

Sounds like you don't know the definition of "fair". Maybe you subsidize your placed caches with other people, but I invest a lot of money in my caches (ammo cases, excellent swag, ect). What is the difference in people in splitting up their caches over a week or over days? What if one person has a day off today and will get the first FTF, then tomorrow my other cache goes up in the area and a seperate person has the day off? Your telling me that's NOT fair? Think about it.

Sounds like you don't know the definition of "fair". Maybe you subsidize your placed caches with other people, but I invest a lot of money in my caches (ammo cases, excellent swag, ect). What is the difference in people in splitting up their caches over a week or over days? What if one person has a day off today and will get the first FTF, then tomorrow my other cache goes up in the area and a seperate person has the day off? Your telling me that's NOT fair? Think about it.

You read what i said wrong. My statement above says clearly, twice in fact, that i don't see your methods as being unfair. I really don't believe anyone here would think this method of hiding was unfair. All i was saying is that it wouldn't surprise me to hear of someone else getting upset because of it...

You read what i said wrong. My statement above says clearly, twice in fact, that i don't see your methods as being unfair. I really don't believe anyone here would think this method of hiding was unfair. All i was saying is that it wouldn't surprise me to hear of someone else getting upset because of it...

I appologize. My husband interpreted your quote the same way. I guess I just expected to receive some flack.

Sorry again.

Georgette

I have another rant, :)

I know the game is fair to everyone.. but what do you do when you have someone who is obsessed with getting your specific FTF's? We purposely drove 100 miles out to let other cachers have the opportunity to get a ftf. This cacher knows us and is taking the fun out of the game for us that we may decide to quit the game.

We also stock our caches with pretty high quality stuff (not all dollar store stuff) and hate it when people take a $6.00 item and leave a $1.00 item.

Rant done.

Georgette

Edited by JEEPers5130

I know the game is fair to everyone.. but what do you do when you have someone who is obsessed with getting your specific FTF's? We purposely drove 100 miles out to let other cachers have the opportunity to get a ftf. This cacher knows us and is taking the fun out of the game for us that we may decide to quit the game.

We also stock our caches with pretty high quality stuff (not all dollar store stuff) and hate it when people take a $6.00 item and leave a $1.00 item.

Rant done.

Georgette

If you think he's going after your caches because they have nice swag, you could always let him be FTF, then stock the cache after he's found it with the good stuff. But that doesn't seem quite fair either.

You placed a cache 100 miles away, and he went and got FTF on it? And took a $6 item? Just think how much he spent in gas to get out there and back. That's one dedicated FTF'er! (says the person who once drove 300 miles - each way - partly to get a FTF)

I'd take it as a compliment that he enjoys your caches that much! Because a $6 item is not worth that kind of trip. :lol: I sure wouldn't quit over it!

it's not so bad having FTF hounds around. If that's their thing so be it. I don't find it cool when they seem to brag about their numbers though. We had a new cache near here that was found and the log was "Love a pristine log . . . FTF 182 ! ! with a big toothy smiley behind it. :) He even lists all his FTF's in his profile! :lol:

Edited by KJcachers

Rant done.

Georgette

It sounds like there must not be any ftf competition in your area since one person is getting all of them. If this is indeed the case, and if it was me, i just wouldn't hide any caches with nice ftf prizes in them right now. When, and if, the competition heats up, then i might go back to hiding caches with the nice stuff. The main thing is to not let this person get to you. It's frustrating i'm sure but most everyone has the same chances of getting ftfs and as long as this person isn't somehow getting them unfairly, then he has every right to go after them.

Oh, and i do agree with you about how people take something good and leave something cheap, sometimes junk, in it's place. Unfortunately, this happens with many caches. Like almost every other hobby out there, we sometimes have to take some bad with the good. Believe me though, the good definitely outweighs the bad in geocaching! :lol:

Edited by Mudfrog

Rant done.

Georgette

We also left a FTF $20.00 Tim hortons gift card that came from 1200 kms away(left the reciept) but the FTFer still had to make a cache exchange.

Its unfortuante that around there the new caches are put up at most times (99%) around Midnight give or take an hour or so. They are not random enough. People wait by the computer with the clock ticking. By morning, before most people get up, they are found.

I am not interested in FTF's myself, can't see ever racing for one, so I think I am pretty much unbiased on this.

Georgette

Edited by JEEPers5130

Rant done.

Georgette

We also left a FTF $20.00 Tim hortons gift card that came from 1200 kms away(left the reciept) but the FTFer still had to make a cache exchange.

Its unfortuante that around there the new caches are put up at most times (99%) around Midnight give or take an hour or so. They are not random enough. People wait by the computer with the clock ticking. By morning, before most people get up, they are found.

I am not interested in FTF's myself, can't see ever racing for one, so I think I am pretty much unbiased on this.

Georgette

You didn't answer my questions, really, so I'll let them stand, but now I'm confused. Was the $20 card marked as a FTF prize? If so, the FTF shouldn't have to trade for it, receipt left or not.

If not, maybe they didn't see the receipt or realize what it was? I pulled a Starbucks card out of a cache recently - when I checked on the value, I had a whopping $.24 left on it. Gift cards are tricky if they are not clearly marked on the card.

Still not sure why it upsets you so much, but I'm sorry it does.

CONFIRMED. HE HAS BEEN BANNED. :ph34r:

This player did have his premium account closed. Sorry to say he is back. Here is the link to his new profile. http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=ee...a9-696eb641f551 It is a non premium account. His first find was a PMO cache, so he undoubtedly has a Premium Membership he uses to get instant notifications and PQ's. GC1GP2F His log entry is typical of his previous cache entries when he was TheManInStripes.

But his location for the non-premium account says "Nevada" for his location...but you are right, the location o fthe cache's he is finiding are in AK. So it is him. Wonder if he will chime in again on here or via email? I feel bad for all the coins in Alaska that he has stolen...and will likely continue to steal. I am glad the community in general is not like him....

Oh, and you aright, he found TWO caches under his new name....and BOTH are Premium Member ONLY caches. I guess people are catching on in Alaska, and listing them for premium members only....but he is getting the coords somehow anyway.

WHO-DEY!

Edited by WHO-DEY

CONFIRMED. HE HAS BEEN BANNED. :ph34r:

But his location for the non-premium account says "Nevada" for his location...but you are right, the location o fthe cache's he is finiding are in AK. So it is him. Wonder if he will chime in again on here or via email? I feel bad for all the coins in Alaska that he has stolen...and will likely continue to steal. I am glad the community in general is not like him....

Oh, and you aright, he found TWO caches under his new name....and BOTH are Premium Member ONLY caches. I guess people are catching on in Alaska, and listing them for premium members only....but he is getting the coords somehow anyway.

WHO-DEY!

He does have a premium account that he uses to run Pocket Queries for new caches in his area. Looks like this is him: http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default....c6-94b14b188f80. He is only using it to run Pocket Queries. Seems this account popped up right after he got 86'ed by Groundspeak. I know when I have seen a PQ on a Palm Tungsten pretty much everything on the cache page shows up. With him doing that he will not have to even go to a cache page until he logs a find with his non-premium account.

Trust me his Nevada location means nothing. You can put your location anywhere you want. Sad thing is, I doubt that those trackable's he has collected may never get back out on the geocaching trail.

I think this guy may have been a candidate for the Board of Education in his town. What integrity!

Edited by WKRP

x2. I was thinking the same thing when I read that.

We vistit this area (a little further past actually) so it is not out of the way. Don't be concerned that I am going out of My way to plant these caches away from the FTF obsessed. I am just picking locations that may not be as convient to local cachers and it is a beautiful place to go. This cacher also complains and jokingly asks for gas money. (more than once)

As for the maintenance. I can probably wait until people post that there are issues. Our caches are all (except for one that will be replaced) in ammo cases so the maintenance issue is very low. If we are in the area, we will and do check on them because the good swag seems to dissapear very quicky. Our caches are typically placed in our playing grounds.

I realize the issue is with the same poster that earlier had an FTF request issue.

Therefore I will no longer place FTF cert's in my caches.

Georgette

I'm Probably taking a chance of being jumped on by others but here is my side of the story (yes, we are the supposedly obsessed FTF'ers that JEEPers is refering to)

First of all, thier caches were placed in areas that gave us more reason to go there as there are only a few caches in those area's (which we made a point of getting all the other ones in the surrounding area) . We could really care less about the FTF certificates, we could even mail them back if they like, My son gets realy excited when he looks into the caches and sees an FTF certificate(pity). As for unfair trading, i have no clue what they are talking about unless they mean their treasure $20.00 tim hortons card which i did not notice becase my son retrieved the FTF, we took a picture, did your trade, signed log and did not notice it untill we were drivign out of the area( which that day we hit 9 caches including 1 DNF and 3 which i was not aware of)Meaning that we did not go all the way out there just for jeepers cache.

Back to the Tim Hortons Card, When we looked at it, it was clearly marked FTF Prize, We took a picture of it, waiting for this moment. We can post the picture if anyone would like to see it in our defence The picture is a close up on the writing that states it is an FTF Prize. After I noticed the going ons about this Tims Certificate. I didnt realize that it was to be a travel bug of some sort of TB or should be tagged as one(concidering it came 1200 miles) and they would like it moved on instead of used. So i have placed it in a zip lock bag with one of there coins so that they can track it too. I had emailed them as soon as i noticed that they were upset and told them, If they were upset about me going to there caches(which some sat a few days before I went to) that I would leave their caches alone because its not worth all this B.S. They did not respond. Furthermore, if i was truly FTF obsessed, why would I go to a cache or find a cache, not log it, and sit and wait till a few other people log it. A good example is their is one half a block from my house and their are a few new caches that I have placed and someone were to get the FTF's for each of them then all the power to them, they were first to get there. Futhermore any FTF certificate that my family and I have gotten, we've gotten from seeing the publishing coming up just like everyone else does who has a premium membership. We are planing a trip to the whiteshell and I dont think that any of the other cache placers will mind if we find their caches as we will make sure that we dont visit anymore of the said persons caches.

As for the comment about asking for gas money, which was clearly a friendly joke(and they know it was) as we were on a friendship basis. After finding one of their caches in terrible weather another fellow cacher posted a note on their cache commending us for braving the poor weather and bad conditions then they procided to post a note with the sole and only intention to slam us. When not understanding the rules and guidelines of geocaching one should read them. If they like they can continue washing their dirty laundry in here which I do not like to do, but I did feel it was time to finally clear this up. I have let my two older daughters see all of these going on's and as young kids, They are totally flabergasted. I want to make sure that they are fully prepared for all the B.S that life can throw at them,And this is a good example.

Its a pity that this B.S has to be in a family hobby and we are very sorry if we have enjoyed your caches.

We are not to fond of city caches so we like the country ones. This will be my one and only posting on this.

Edited by yodazuk

it's not so bad having FTF hounds around. If that's their thing so be it. I don't find it cool when they seem to brag about their numbers though. We had a new cache near here that was found and the log was "Love a pristine log . . . FTF 182 ! ! with a big toothy smiley behind it. :) He even lists all his FTF's in his profile! :)

uh, umm...

Have you looked at your own profile recently? Some would certainly say that you are bragging about your numbers. Different kind of bragging, but bragging none-the-less.

I don't understand what the problem is here.

I used to have one person always FTF my caches when I put them out. He lived in a town about 30 miles east of me and worked in a town about 50 miles west of me. Therefore, whenever I put out a cache he would generally FTF it on his way home. We actually became FRIENDS because of this. I never knew this person before I started hiding caches. But afterwords we chatted quite a bit.

I don't understand the animosity here. I always thought of it as an honor that he liked my caches so much. Shoot, I get a kick out of people finding my caches; especially since where I live is out of the way for most cachers around here.

I think it just goes to show that no matter what you do, there are going to be people who will find fault with you.

We have a fellow cacher in our local area that is usually the FTFer when a new cache is put out, but he doesn't brag about it. He is actually a cool guy, funny too. He is a stay at home dad with a 2 year old son, so yeah, he can get to a FTF while the rest of us are at work.

That is what makes this activity so great, some people are in it for the FTFs, some are in it for the numbers, while others are in it for the LONG hikes.

I used to be gung ho on getting FTF, but that was back in 05 and 06 when gas was under $2/gal. With gas prices much higher (although they are starting to come down now), we tend to cache when there are a bunch of caches building up nearby. Getting more "bang for your buck", so to say.

Thank you, I do not brag about my FTF numbers and we really enjoy all the deep wood caches because we dont like to do the anti-muggle sneaking and risk caches bacause usually when we go out its myself, 3 kids,my wife and sometimes my father so it kind of hard to look inconspicuous in the city. Were those said caches are placed can be down right hard to get to and some of them may sit for a while. Ive always taken something like that as a challange but I guess I stand corrected. The cache owners always seem to love to hear from me to find out about our adventure was on our way to the caches.

Edited by yodazuk

it's not so bad having FTF hounds around. If that's their thing so be it. I don't find it cool when they seem to brag about their numbers though. We had a new cache near here that was found and the log was "Love a pristine log . . . FTF 182 ! ! with a big toothy smiley behind it. :laughing: He even lists all his FTF's in his profile! :unsure:

uh, umm...

Have you looked at your own profile recently? Some would certainly say that you are bragging about your numbers. Different kind of bragging, but bragging none-the-less.

my profile is just stats generated using GSAK, nothing more. I definitely don't list out every,single cache I have found on my profile like this one person did with his FTF's Actually I really don't care about his profile either. It could be looked at by him as just a personal journal of his caching. It's just the making sure to detail the FTF number on each FTF find that he logs that seems a little like rubbing it in to other cachers. My milestones I am sort of proud of because we sort of plan which cache we want for that moment. The rest of our finds are pretty random.

This will be my last comment on this issue as it really is so unimportant in the broad scheme of things.

Cache On,

Jason

I don't really understand the whole FTF thing. I did it for maybe a month or so back when I was relatively new, as a little competition between friends, but soon tired of it. Some people seem obsessed by FTF for years, though.

To my mind, there is nothing particularly noteworthy in getting FTF on a 1/1 LPC. You just happened to be the first to go find an easy cache.

On the other hand, FTF might be valuable if the cache has been sitting unfound for a long time. Perhaps it is a particularly evil hide with multiple DNFs. Perhaps it is a puzzle that has been unsolved for more than a week or so. Or perhaps it is a particularly strenuous cache to reach and has been sitting unfound for over a month. Those caches I might consider worthy of crowing about being FTF.

But the local urban micros that are easily found within hours of posting? Not so much.

And FTF hounds who rush after each easy urban hide and then post their FTFs in a public bookmark list? Just pitiful, really.

I have to say that I agree completely with this post. There isn't any status in rushing out and finding an FTF on a 1/1, especially when this is all you have to do to fill your day. I work full time plus, and I can't just drop my responsibilities to run out and log FTFs on the spur of the moment. So why worry about it? Nothing will ever be equal in life. However, where other cachers have more time than I do, I might have more brains/drive/determination than they do... so I tend to focus on caches which require some thinking or effort to solve. I don't really do it so much for the FTF as I do it because it's a challenge which no one else has met up to that point... the FTF is just a side bonus. I feel a certain sense of satisfaction and think bragging rights are fully deserved, when you've solved a particularly hard puzzle cache where the cache has been sitting unfound for 5 1/2 months (as I did on four recent caches).

For that reason, my current, and the majority of future cache hides, will involve some sort of brainwork and/or effort vs. just running out and logging a 1/1 cache-and-dash. If FTFs are important to you, then I suggest you focus on these types of caches instead of making rules limiting what other cachers can do. You'll find as you work on the caches that no one else wants to tackle, that you'll start logging those FTFs naturally!

The whole thing about stats and numbers is just hogwash anyway. I've been caching since 2001 and have only 300+ finds and around 6-7 FTFs so far. I have worked my caching activities in among all my other interests which include a fulltime job, competition shooting which requires almost a daily committment, my social life and my husband and children. Does that make me less of a "real cacher" than somebody who spends 18 hours a day every day just going after caches and does nothing else with their time?

I don't think so. And that's why I don't worry about stats. They are only a record for ME about what I'VE done and where I'VE been so I have the memories.

BlueDamsel