FTF obsessed?

WHO-DEY

Most will agree the quest for an FTF is more fun than a later search but you cannot restrict who is eligble.

I don't agree.

My one and only FTF so far was 13 days after the cache was published, and I didn't even know that it had yet to be found.

It wouldn't have been any more fun if I HAD known I was looking for an FTF.

Maybe when you go for a few more FTFs you'll change your mind?

Most will agree the quest for an FTF is more fun than a later search but you cannot restrict who is eligble.

However, there is a simple solution - release all new caches (or at least some) once a week at the same time, presumably on Saturday. This will surely give more people a chance to participate and I see no downside, but I'd guess it will never happen, at least not on this web site.

Just my two cents...

The downside would be that some people work every Saturday and that wouldn't be fair to them. I like it that our reviewers keep us guessing. You never know when, sometimes they are at 2 am. :)

Edited by Flip flops

I may be wrong, (I often am), but I don't think the OP is suggesting that Groundspeak create new rules which would restrict the existing FTF folks. I interpreted the post as more of a food for thought, directed toward those folks who already have a string of FTF's, suggesting that they maybe, voluntarily give themselves a bit of a pause, so that those folks who would like an FTF, but don't have one, might have a better chance at acquiring one.

If that's the case, I would applaud any FTF hound who followed that suggestion, in that they are sacrificing something valuable to them, for the sake of increasing someone else's enjoyment. That's gotta be worth a few good karma points. However, if this came to be a common practice, I might inadvertently mess it up, as I rarely check the log status of newly published caches. I just punch 'em in and go, and if I end up with an FTF, Kewl. If not, it's still kewl.

Edited by Clan Riffster

Its all about the game and what you enjoy about it. We are admitted FTF hounds but its not neccesarily about the numbers. Southern New Jersey has a very active geocaching organization and we personally know the majority of the active cachers in the area. They are all great people. When a new cache comes out, we know exactly who lives/works in the area and who is most likely to go after it as soon as its published. It is a friendly competition among the group. The FTF is a bonus, beating a friend to a cache in their "back yard" is a load of fun! Especially when its a difficult 17 stage multi or complex puzzle.

Southern Jersey is a lot more rural than what most people would think. We live 8 miles north of the Wharton Forest, the largest, undisturbed forest on the east coast. So, when a new cache comes out it could be 15 miles as the crow flies but an hour away to drive to. Once in a blue moon 5 to 10 caches will pop up all at once on a Friday or Saturday and we almost always end up as a large gaggle rambling through the woods to seek out the new caches. These FTF experiences with friends are the ones we love and remember the most. We've seen quite a few "I'm not worried about the FTFs" types get excited in the group frenzy of an FTF hunt.

I completely understand the point that us FTF hounds are hogging all the caches and we have pulled back at times from going after a cache for this reason. But do you want an FTF handed to you or do you want to earn it? (I'm sure that'll get some comments). We've read logs of newer cachers before that state "I cant believe we beat Galap or so-n-so to the cache" I'm betting they were much prouder of beating out the local FTF crowd to a cache Its kind of like the first time one of your kids beats you at a board game and is grinning from ear to ear. They're much prouder of their accomplishments.

For the record, my wife and I are a team. We will go after just about any cache anywhere just as long as we're out there having fun; puzzles, micros on main street, regulars burried deep in the forest, it doesn't matter. FTFs are just part of the game. Having fun, that's what its about right?

-galaP-

This should be a great case in point (...now watch it backfire on me...:) ) why we love the FTF hunt in our area. No logs yet, but they should be posted tonight. A local "old head" published 10 new caches yesterday on our local forum because he was tired of waiting on our reviewer. 9 were regular caches. the 10th was a puzzle cache with clues to it's solution in the nine other caches. Wharton Monopoly I was "in the hunt" yesterday for a good 6 hours. I found out that there was one other cacher/friend out there hunting but he punctured his tire and called it quits. I did try to hook up with him so we could both enjoy the hunt but it didn't work out. I called it quits before going after the final because the fun of going against my friends wasn't there. I was the only one out there.

They were published on BG today. Today, a bunch of my fellow cachers "called in sick" or had the day off and went after the cache series all day long. They kept active "tabs" on me to see if I was still stuck at work or "back in the hunt". They knew I was their biggest "threat". When they found the final they made sure I knew right away! To us that's the great fun of it!

And by the way, a new cache popped up near where they were so I called them with the coords so they could grab it too!

-galaP-

Its all about the game and what you enjoy about it. We are admitted FTF hounds but its not neccesarily about the numbers. Southern New Jersey has a very active geocaching organization and we personally know the majority of the active cachers in the area. They are all great people. When a new cache comes out, we know exactly who lives/works in the area and who is most likely to go after it as soon as its published. It is a friendly competition among the group. The FTF is a bonus, beating a friend to a cache in their "back yard" is a load of fun! Especially when its a difficult 17 stage multi or complex puzzle.

Southern Jersey is a lot more rural than what most people would think. We live 8 miles north of the Wharton Forest, the largest, undisturbed forest on the east coast. So, when a new cache comes out it could be 15 miles as the crow flies but an hour away to drive to. Once in a blue moon 5 to 10 caches will pop up all at once on a Friday or Saturday and we almost always end up as a large gaggle rambling through the woods to seek out the new caches. These FTF experiences with friends are the ones we love and remember the most. We've seen quite a few "I'm not worried about the FTFs" types get excited in the group frenzy of an FTF hunt.

I completely understand the point that us FTF hounds are hogging all the caches and we have pulled back at times from going after a cache for this reason. But do you want an FTF handed to you or do you want to earn it? (I'm sure that'll get some comments). We've read logs of newer cachers before that state "I cant believe we beat Galap or so-n-so to the cache" I'm betting they were much prouder of beating out the local FTF crowd to a cache Its kind of like the first time one of your kids beats you at a board game and is grinning from ear to ear. They're much prouder of their accomplishments.

For the record, my wife and I are a team. We will go after just about any cache anywhere just as long as we're out there having fun; puzzles, micros on main street, regulars burried deep in the forest, it doesn't matter. FTFs are just part of the game. Having fun, that's what its about right?

-galaP-

This should be a great case in point (...now watch it backfire on me...:) ) why we love the FTF hunt in our area. No logs yet, but they should be posted tonight. A local "old head" published 10 new caches yesterday on our local forum because he was tired of waiting on our reviewer. 9 were regular caches. the 10th was a puzzle cache with clues to it's solution in the nine other caches. Wharton Monopoly I was "in the hunt" yesterday for a good 6 hours. I found out that there was one other cacher/friend out there hunting but he punctured his tire and called it quits. I did try to hook up with him so we could both enjoy the hunt but it didn't work out. I called it quits before going after the final because the fun of going against my friends wasn't there. I was the only one out there.

They were published on BG today. Today, a bunch of my fellow cachers "called in sick" or had the day off and went after the cache series all day long. They kept active "tabs" on me to see if I was still stuck at work or "back in the hunt". They knew I was their biggest "threat". When they found the final they made sure I knew right away! To us that's the great fun of it!

And by the way, a new cache popped up near where they were so I called them with the coords so they could grab it too!

-galaP-

Point proven! Read the 1st FTF log in the link above. This is what its all about in our area! FTF Fun among friends!

Until I became a reviewer, we used to enjoy the friendly rivalry of the FTF meta-game, mainly on significant puzzles and/or multis. FTF on most low-terrain-rating trads comes down to luck and geography, mostly; were you near an email program and do you live close to the coords?

If nothing else, the FTF hunt tends to be a social thing, as you meet the (hopefully) STF coming towards you as you walk away from the newly-deflowered logbook!

Apart from having had the time to get insta-notify and other tools set up properly, there's not really any advantage that a multi-kilocache finder has over a relative newcomer. If it's an easy to find trad, all that experience won't mean a thing if you live 20 minutes further away!

Now that I have talked about it, and read many useful comments...I honestly will adopt this as a mind set...

"But do you want an FTF handed to you or do you want to earn it?"

That is fair. I just need to vent...I am good now.

Thanks all..

WHO-DEY

I didn't read all the responses, so perhaps this was mentioned already.

The key to my success as a FTF hunter is knowing the instant a cache is published, and being willing to hit the road within 3 minutes of knowing about it.

Get to know your local Reviewer and his/her habits. They generally will publish at a similar timeframe each day. (At least ours do)

Get to know the FTF hounds. Find out what area they live at so you can gauge if you can beat them if you both are walking out the door at the same time. Meeting them at the caches will help gather good intel such as thier work schedules, etc. This all adds up in your hunting plan.

1. Instant Notifications to email

2. use a email alert with sound turned up loud enough to hear, then be willing to get up from whatever your doing and check it fast. I use Yahoo email (forwarded from another acct), and yahoo messenger that dings loudly when a notice comes in

3. Have the cache bag ready to go with everything needed in the car or near door. Stocked with all items such as flashlights, pens, etc.

4. Out the door in minutes and you will eventually catch them napping

I have 66 FTFs and easily have double that but usually let them go. I tend to get selective now about what ones I'll drop everything and run after. But I am usually the first to be looking at a cache even if I am not going for it.

Once you get the system working right, it gets alot easier to at least be there with the first folks. It's a fun way to meet up with fellow cachers and chat. Bonus is beating them to it, but if not oh well, it's still fun telling the story of how you watched someone do something goofy trying for the FTF. A good trick if you can pull it off when theres a few FTF hounds all searching for a toughy. Make the find on the sly and replace it if you can. Then you get to sit back and chuckle at them :)

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Edited by mudsneaker

Each time this topic comes up I ask, How long do you wait to go get the cache? It's posted publicly. How much more notice do you need? It posts and you wait a hour, day, week?

I am a professed hound. Not as much lately but there has been times I would check for listings and there it'd be. I'd go get it. I was dogged on the forums a long time ago for it ( I had only a 144 finds at the time but my FTF ratio was high) and I'd ask, how long do I wait? No answer. They just wanted to whine about. Even accused me of being a Reviewer cheating.

How bad do you want it? If you want to get an FTF, get online and check. Better yet, go premium and have it emailed to you as the reviewer posts it. If you don't put in the effort/time, stop whining about it.

Let the games begin. :laughing:

I may be wrong, (I often am), but I don't think the OP is suggesting that Groundspeak create new rules which would restrict the existing FTF folks. I interpreted the post as more of a food for thought, directed toward those folks who already have a string of FTF's, suggesting that they maybe, voluntarily give themselves a bit of a pause, so that those folks who would like an FTF, but don't have one, might have a better chance at acquiring one.

If that's the case, I would applaud any FTF hound who followed that suggestion, in that they are sacrificing something valuable to them, for the sake of increasing someone else's enjoyment. That's gotta be worth a few good karma points. However, if this came to be a common practice, I might inadvertently mess it up, as I rarely check the log status of newly published caches. I just punch 'em in and go, and if I end up with an FTF, Kewl. If not, it's still kewl.

That is exactly right. As a matter of fact, my view has changed throughout this thread. That is why I started it. I am not stubborn or walking with blinders on. Just food for thought....that is all.

-WHO-DEY

I JUST GOT THE FOLLOWING RUDE EMAIL FROM A CACHER NAMED "TheManInStripes"...he emailed through GeoCaching.com:

"I just read your FTF Rant in the forum. You're an idiot. If you really want an FTF, then show the dedication required."

Here is his profile:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=5a...f2-de2440274796

..Nice. :laughing: Why would somebody do that?

-WHO-DEY

Edited by WHO-DEY

Wow!

Maybe he has issues? :laughing:

I would let Groundspeak know about it. E-mailing someone through their profile, for the purpose of insulting them constitutes a TOS violation.

I actually just PM'ed an admin..so we will see what their reply is. I was a bit taken back. And he did not even post an opinion on the thread here....just wanted to tell me I am an idiot. Nice. :laughing:

Oh, and the profile is provided in the email...I did not look him up to post it. FYI.

I JUST GOT THE FOLLOWING RUDE EMAIL FROM A CACHER NAMED "TheManInStripes"...he emailed through GeoCaching.com:

"I just read your FTF Rant in the forum. You're an idiot. If you really want an FTF, then show the dedication required."

Here is his profile:

His motto, according to his profile banner: "If you ain’t first, you’re last."

Sounds like he’s channeling Dale Earnhardt. I didn’t like Dale Earnhardt either.

If anything is degrading this game it’s not the bogus logs, the easy micros, or the too-brief acronym logs; it’s the improvised competition—and the resulting bitter rivalries and hurt feelings.

Who-Dey, I have been very impressed with the attitude you have taken toward this issue. In my opinion you have your head on straight, and will most likely be able to greatly enjoy the game going forward. My advice is to ignore those who take this hobby so seriously that they lose sight of basic humanity and common sense.

Who-Dey, I have been very impressed with the attitude you have taken toward this issue. In my opinion you have your head on straight, and will most likely be able to greatly enjoy the game going forward. My advice is to ignore those who take this hobby so seriously that they lose sight of basic humanity and common sense.

Thank you...I am glad to hear I came through in a positive manner. Thank you for saying that! :laughing:

But to tell people they can't go find something because someone else wants it, or you should wait 24+ hours because someone else wants one is ridiculous.

It certainly is. :laughing: Everyone has an equal chance at an FTF, so if you miss it, you didn't move fast enough. End of.

Many here think chasing FTF's is silly. My neighbor thinks geocaching is silly. If you don't like it, don't do it and leave the others to their fun the way they want to.

my .02 is that the only time FTF obsession bugs me is when people clearly violate the stated rules of the cache to get it.

"dawn to dusk", the cache goes online at 8 PM in November, and the FTF log is there before 6 AM the next morning, etc.

Or they don't use common sense and end up having the bomb squad called in because they are tramping around a building in the dark shining a flashlight all over the place, etc etc.

other than that, go nuts!

I do think hiding prizes is both a neat idea (especially for those that take some risk or challenge to get into), and an encouragment.

But, I look at it the same way I look at puzzle caches.. I'm not real big on most of them, so I ignore em. If it takes me more than an hour to figure out the co-ords.. pretty good chance my name won't be in the log unless I end up team-caching with a puzzler.

I fondly recall our first FTF - we beat the hounds. We wouldn't have had the same sense of accomplishment if the hounds were restricted from getting the FTF.

Actually they aren't hounds they are retrievers! :laughing:

It was fun racing you and Neil and often showing up together or somewhat after each other. Like CGS the FTF quest doesn't excite me anymore. The local FTF guys can have the Walmart lamppost micro.

Now another Great Potato Head Race or Geofellas April Fool's series would get me revved up.

Here is his profile:

..Nice. :laughing: Why would somebody do that?

-WHO-DEY

His language in the first sentence seems a bit strong and cranky; I suggest reporting the incident to Groundspeak. The particular cacher does seem to sometimes send kinda nasty posts to the forum, as well, in my experience. You can see what I mean if you were to check some of his past forum posts.

BTW, in his last sentence, he did hit the nail on the head. The geocachers in your area who get lots of FTF have NO advantage over you, on the vast majority of them, than simply being more dedicated and being willing to set getting FTF as a priority in their lives. Bottom line is that you want to get instant-notify of new cache publications in your area, you want to learn of these emails right away, and you want to be out the door within 2 to 3 minutes of receiving said notification. Personally, I could not imagine bothering to take any of those steps or doing any of those things for an FTF, because FTFs do not matter to me (nor to Sue), but since you asked, well, that is your answer, and I note that a few other posters on this thread have made the same point.

There's a guy in my area that just got his 1k find this year. Of the 1k finds nearly 350 were FTF's. That's what floats his boat. He wanted 1/3 of his 1k to be ftf's and met his goal. Originally he had not intention of such a goal but he's a bit honory and one of the local FTF hogs was giving him a hard time for beating them to a few FTF's. The the game was on. He won.

I say more power to him. If I want an FTF it's my job to get it not his to let me have it or for groudnspeak to give it to me. Sounds a bit like distribution of wealth, national healthcare and the wallstreet buy out. I am and AmeriCAN not an American't and really am not much for taking a hand out. I might give one but probably won't take one.........or at least I'll feel bad about it when I do take one.

My daughter is 10 and doesn't even know what a FTF is and that's the way I want it. She has way too much fun going on treasure hunts to turn it into a competition. Besides if there is something supernice for an FTF prize then it all becomes about getting the best prize rather than getting a prize.

Just rememer:

A. it's a game

B. it's a great excuse to get off the couch on Saturday

C. the fresh air and nature or good for you, both body and mind

D. it's relaxing

E. great family time with lots of laughs (like when grandpa buries the Lincoln in the mud on a soggy dirt road)

F. the kids get an adventure - they need down time too ya know

It took a little over 3 months to nail my first FTF. I have only been caching for 1 year, 4 months and 2 days. I've only found 276 caches, of which 25 are FTF. Am I a hound? Bet your sweet a** I am! Does anyone care how many i've found? Just me, baby....just me......I will eventually tire of it, in fact I passed up 3 of 5 today due to distance, gas and time and still came in second on those 2. I get the auto-notify and I sometimes don't even put socks on.....i'm out that door, and I mean N-O-W. if it were a sunken pirate ship full of gold would you still ask someone to "stay away"? FTF is my booty, and i'm out for as much loot as possible. I did my "time" being pissy over the "FTF HOUNDS". Get over it, I did. Now I have 25 under my belt. As you find more and ALSO learn each "hiders" modus operandi, you will get more FTF. Until then, keep the car gassed, the velcro shoes nearby and fresh batteries at all times! And if you are ever in southwest Wyoming, keep your eyes peeled for a little red Mazda 4-wheel drive flying the "Jolly Roger! AAARRRRRGH MATEY!

More power to you. We all have our own reasons for geocaching. Some are in it for the FTFs. Others are in it for a nice walk with a little reward at the end.

I personally don't give a flying fig if I ever get a FTF. That's not why I do it. I do it for the exercise and fresh air - and to explore new and interesting places I've never been to. But I don't hold anything against FTF hounds. We're all in the same game for whatever reason, and we should enjoy the cameraderie :laughing:

Exactly! I personally could care less about FTFs, and Sue seems to feel largely the same way, but more power to the people who enjoy such things!

As am off the cuff idea to get idea's rolling...I suggest this: if you have over 500 caches or 5 FTF's..you must wait 24 hours from publish date/time before finding any new UNFOUND cache.

Why should people have to wait to find a cache...even a FTF? Is your life that devoid that you think someone should just hand you the chance to get a FTF? :laughing:

I have a suggestion...if you want to get a FTF then just be quicker at the draw and get out there and do it.

I admit it...I am a FTF hound. I have currently 85 FTF's out of 407 caches. For all those FTF's, most of it is the thrill of finding a pristine and untouched cache and some of it is necessity...there are so few caches published in this area that I go after it because it's a new cache.

Even if you had that 24-hour "rule" FTF hounds could still get it. I just got a FTF last night for a cache that sat for two days before I could find it. Granted, it was a tougher puzzle but still.... Yet another cache sat for two weeks before I found it for the FTF.

All in all, this time spent whining about not getting a FTF could be spent actually trying to get one.

Just to throw in a bit of sarcasm we could have a completely socialized geocaching site where by which each person gets to occasionally get a FTF however we would also need to look at affirmative action and need to factor in race, sex, sexual orientation as well as age etc.

There are folks out there who check their e-mail and the website every morning at 2, 3, or 4 a.m. just in case something was posted late the night before. They wait and by first light they are there and ready to go. They just want it more and get after it.

Just to throw in a bit of sarcasm we could have a completely socialized geocaching site where by which each person gets to occasionally get a FTF however we would also need to look at affirmative action and need to factor in race, sex, sexual orientation as well as age etc.

There are folks out there who check their e-mail and the website every morning at 2, 3, or 4 a.m. just in case something was posted late the night before. They wait and by first light they are there and ready to go. They just want it more and get after it.

"wait till first light"? SLACKERS! :laughing:

I've seen people hit it, on a bicycle on a rails to trails in state game land less than an hour after it was published, a 45 minute ride from the house, at 2 AM. :laughing:

OK..this is as much a rant as it is a suggestion. I am getting a bit worn out on trying to get my FIRST FTF. I, like many, have a family. My son and I Cache when we can...but make it an activity we like to do often. Now, am fortunate to live in an area where Caches pop up regularly. I have even dropped a few, and will do some more today, actually. Now, there are a handful of Cacehrs in the area that have hundreds, and many have thousands of found caches. They all also have many FTF's. Every time I see a new cache posted that is emailed by the time I open it, one of the local FTF HOG's have found it. It gets old. I know that is part of the thrill of being the FTF, but it is the same, extremely experienced and they also have 1000+ found caches. Even this morning, a new MICRO was published..by 7:30 am ET, two of these guys logged a find...it was 2 miles from me, and i was 7:30. The FTF cacher has 2400+ funds, the next guy, 1300+ finds. I know they are nice guys...so nothing that personal...just gets old.

The first two caches I lauched, were both foundby the same guy, within 1 hour of the publishing. I would love to see a kid and his dad mom find a FTF...but that will likely never happen, due to the FTF freaks. :laughing:

As am off the cuff idea to get idea's rolling...I suggest this: if you have over 500 caches or 5 FTF's..you must wait 24 hours from publish date/time before finding any new UNFOUND cache.

I know this will not fly....but I am throwing it out there :laughing:

<RANT COMPLETE!>

WHO-DEY!

Make any rule( just about - the unpublished rules) for a mystery cache. For a traditional cache, claiming FTF is a right to the one who gets there first. Plan and simple. You want it, go get it.

It seems the ones who are FTF obsessed are the ones not getting them. Short of putting a sentry in front of your cache, it won't deter someone with a lot of FTF's under their belt from finding your cache. And if they find it first, well they found it first. Stripping someone of a title that is unrecognized by geocaching.com does nothing more than turn us on each other and make a new unrecognized title. FTRF (First To Really Find).

It seems the ones who are FTF obsessed are the ones not getting them. Short of putting a sentry in front of your cache, it won't deter someone with a lot of FTF's under their belt from finding your cache. And if they find it first, well they found it first. Stripping someone of a title that is unrecognized by geocaching.com does nothing more than turn us on each other and make a new unrecognized title. FTRF (First To Really Find).

Well, you could note in the log that it's _REALLY_ Difficult, then put a motion detector paintball machine gun out there, and comment that "hints will be added later" and see how many "DNF"'s you get in the first couple of hours.. then reveal it.

<_<

A cacher in my area refuses to be first finder. He has had too many experience with coords being off and the cache in unauthorized spots. He lets the FTF hounds work out the kinks first.

I have taken his advice. I wait when a new cache comes out for a couple folks to hit it first to make sure everything is in working order. This way I am assured of not wasting my gas and time on it. Gas is a big deal these days in Atlanta too!!

This is more fun for me. I understand why the added challenge could be more fun the FTF hounds, but I do not need the added aggravation in my life. Caching is for relaxing time, not frustration time.

A cacher in my area refuses to be first finder. He has had too many experience with coords being off and the cache in unauthorized spots. He lets the FTF hounds work out the kinks first.

I have taken his advice. I wait when a new cache comes out for a couple folks to hit it first to make sure everything is in working order. This way I am assured of not wasting my gas and time on it. Gas is a big deal these days in Atlanta too!!

This is more fun for me. I understand why the added challenge could be more fun the FTF hounds, but I do not need the added aggravation in my life. Caching is for relaxing time, not frustration time.

The idea is to have fun whether you get the ftf or not. Yes it feels good to beat your friendly competition with a ftf, but ya gotta be a gracious loser if and when they beat you to one as well. Being too competitve or being a sore loser will cause aggravation so this isn't an offshoot of geocaching that i would recommend to just anyone.

I want to offer one other opinion though and I know that I'm going to open a "can of worms" but I almost wonder if some of these hounds have "inside information". As suggested, it almost seems humanly impossible for some of these caches to be found as quickly as they are. I just wonder! I'm not accusing anyone but curiosity is sometimes overwhelming!

I'm surprised to hear that there is such a "fuss" over this topic! <_<

My opinion is simple..."to each his own."

But, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that some people have "inside information"...I say so what if they do. But I would further venture to say, it is more likely technology and being in the right place at the right time that is enabling quick finds. With today's technology (i.e, the Blackberry) and a data plan, you can find a cache within minutes of it being posted if you are in the right place at the right time.

Case in point -- I posted a cache recently and told no one about it. A cacher was on site searching for the cache within five minutes of the publication time because she had a blackberry and, being a PM, she received the instant notification. Then she followed the link in the email and, using her data plan, she brought up the webpage to see where the cache was located. She just happened to be running errands and was within 2 miles of the cache location so she was onsite within five minutes.

Edited by yukionna
But I would further venture to say, it is more likely technology and being in the right place at the right time that is enabling quick finds.
One of my FTFs was like that. It was published at night when the park was closed. I was going to be in the area the next morning anyway (which is why I was looking for nearby caches), so I left a little earlier than originally planned and started searching as soon as the park opened. Right place, right time... I got lucky.

My other two FTFs were puzzles that had been unfound for a few days before I solved and found them. Those were much more satisfying than the other one.

Ironically, after reading this thread and setting up the email notification discussed slightly earlier, I got notified of a hide, and got FTF on it this evening within an hour and a half of it being published. Don't know if I'm addicted, but it's definately a thrill! :P

Cache notifications came in about 11PM last night. I usually head out and get them, but I've had most of the FTFs in my area in the last 4 months...I decided to go to bed.

This morning, they were still not logged by 8AM, so I went after them and STILL got FTF...9 hours after publication.

Seems the only time anyone even tries is on the weekend.

I was a little obsessed with FTFs when I started (because I didn't have any), and there were 2 hounds in this area that seemed to get them all. It was a game for them, I think. I remember My first one was due to a fellow cacher telling me he was posting one, so I would check the website every 10 minutes or so. Fortunately, it posted right before I took my Daughter to school on my day off, and viola, a FTF! I only have 7 FTF's now, but I am satisfied with my total and won't "drop & run" just to beat the others out there. It's much more fun to hear the newer cachers give their FTF stories at our monthly meeting. And the last regular cache I put out not only had a FTF prize, but something for the 2ndTF & 3rdTF as well. So far, that's been pretty well received. So hang in there, keep checking, and keep trying. 3 of mine were complete surprises!

[edited for spelllun]

Edited by Zatahra

Ironically, after reading this thread and setting up the email notification discussed slightly earlier, I got notified of a hide, and got FTF on it this evening within an hour and a half of it being published. Don't know if I'm addicted, but it's definately a thrill! :P

Yeah, I didn't know you could have it sent to your phone. Now i'm REALLY sailing the 7 caches seas! AAAAARRRR MATEY! (and a wink out of the eye without the eyepatch)

Yeah, I didn't know you could have it sent to your phone. Now i'm REALLY sailing the 7 caches seas! AAAAARRRR MATEY! (and a wink out of the eye without the eyepatch)

Not even that, just an email. I had just gotten in from caching with my Daughter around lunchtime, and the email popped up. I yelled to my wife, who was working from home, and she said "Let's GO!" and we went. :D

my first ftf was on an island in lake champlain. i grabbed my bag and dashed out the door, got me a ferry ticket, parked at a fishing access and walked a half mile across the ice on a bitter, bitter day. i arrived at the cache only to find that i was about four inches too short to reach the cache, even having built a small platform from driftwood.

it was still unfound the next week when i drove out across the ice with a stepladder.

there was one morning that we drove for a couple of hours only to find ourselves standing at a cache at a quarter to seven in the morning and we weren't even second.

at some point after that, crashco and i were the first finders on every new cache to the extent that a lot of the sport went out of it.

i have first finds in four states and the province of quebec. once we got a FTF with only the north coordinate. for a while we poached every FTF we could, hunting caches based on rumor and hunch.

i quit trying for them for a while and then i got sick and went two hundred and sixty some-odd days without looking for any caches, let alone first finds.

i keep wanting to pick a week and first find everything that comes up, just to prove that i still can.

and then i realize that i'd have to quit taking all of my meds in order to do it. i have to plan to be home every day between 2100 and 0900 if i'm to take them properly; i can't be going out at ten or eleven, much less getting up at 0400 anymore.

you want to get FTFs? be dedicated. keep your bag packed. be willing to jump out of bed.

there are no guarantees. ya pays yer nickle, ya takes yer chances.

I enjoy FTFs like I enjoy a good cigar - they're a rare thing, but they give an extra boost of spice to the hunt.

Someone hid a cache 284 feet from my front door about two months ago. I got the notification, sat down and ate dinner, then strolled out to claim the FTF. Easiest FTF I ever had, but I enjoyed it. :P My most favorite FTFs though, were a pair of puzzle caches hidden by one of the best cache hiders in Nebraska. I drove 300 miles, just to find some of his caches, and admittedly, to try to get FTF on one... I got FTF on two, and that was unexpected. :D

It's not about whatever FTF prize there may be, it's about signing your name first in a completely new logbook - I may not have been the first to climb Mt. Everest or go to the moon, but, darn it, I was the FIRST to solve this particular puzzle and find that particular cache! Let's face it, the desire and thrill to be the first to do something is pretty much hard-wired into us!

I enjoy FTFs like I enjoy a good cigar - they're a rare thing, but they give an extra boost of spice to the hunt.

Someone hid a cache 284 feet from my front door about two months ago. I got the notification, sat down and ate dinner, then strolled out to claim the FTF. Easiest FTF I ever had, but I enjoyed it. :P My most favorite FTFs though, were a pair of puzzle caches hidden by one of the best cache hiders in Nebraska. I drove 300 miles, just to find some of his caches, and admittedly, to try to get FTF on one... I got FTF on two, and that was unexpected. :D

It's not about whatever FTF prize there may be, it's about signing your name first in a completely new logbook - I may not have been the first to climb Mt. Everest or go to the moon, but, darn it, I was the FIRST to solve this particular puzzle and find that particular cache! Let's face it, the desire and thrill to be the first to do something is pretty much hard-wired into us!

Holy Crap BATMAN! I couldn't figure out why I liked the FTF so much, and this wonderful cacher has pulled my taffy brain into a logical shape! I just realized why I'm a hound! I LOVE opening a log and seeing..............................nothing. Like Lewis and Clark, exploring the Northwest territory and logging new species, plants and other interesting things, I hunt for my own curiosity! I'm not being competitive, just adventuresome!

Holy Crap BATMAN! I couldn't figure out why I liked the FTF so much, and this wonderful cacher has pulled my taffy brain into a logical shape! I just realized why I'm a hound! I LOVE opening a log and seeing..............................nothing. Like Lewis and Clark, exploring the Northwest territory and logging new species, plants and other interesting things, I hunt for my own curiosity! I'm not being competitive, just adventuresome!

Here is his profile:

..Nice. :rolleyes: Why would somebody do that?

-WHO-DEY

Hey, This guy's problem goes far beyond his attitude and language. Check out all of the trackables in TheManInStripes unpublished cache. The name of the cache says it ALL. I doubt those bugs and coins will ever be released. :santa: Game over for this guy. Looks like he finally fouled out!

Edited by WKRP

Here is his profile:

..Nice. :rolleyes: Why would somebody do that?

-WHO-DEY

Hey, This guy's problem goes far beyond his attitude and language. Check out all of the trackables in TheManInStripes unpublished cache. The name of the cache says it ALL. I doubt those bugs and coins will ever be released. :santa: Game over for this guy. Looks like he finally fouled out!

Not only that, but take a look at his FTF logs. Looks like he's not exactly in hot competition with anyone.. he gets it in an hour.. next log is over a month later, on the several I looked at.

There's "hobby" then there's "obsession"...

Here is his profile:

..Nice. :santa: Why would somebody do that?

-WHO-DEY

OH MY! I did not see that. When you click on his FOUND TRACKABLES...most of them are in his unpiblished cache called " Just Pissing People Off ". Nice name, and what a nice guy! Sheesh He has been sitting on most of these, and a bunch of Bugs for 3-4 months and longer. Only like 4-5 coins are not in his fake cache or in his hands. I guess I will take 'make it to Alaska" of my goals for any new coins i might launch. WOW! :santa::rolleyes: