Geocaching on the iPhone - Submitted to Apple

Jeremy

Is the "search closest from current location" feature just with 3G iPhone? Does it use the GPS or can it be used with a frist gen with 2.0 software? :)

It works with first gen software and the Touch using WiFi and/or cell tower positioning, so you need a WiFi connection to use it, but you can't navigate with it other than using a Google Map. In other words, the accuracy of WiFi positioning is too poor to provide you with a compass arrow.

the new app looks great and i will download and try. but isn't it a huge problem that it works only where one has cell coverage? most the places i cache don't have cell coverage. what am i missing? iGeoCacher works without cell coverage -- much like GeoNiche does with a Palm device.

Once you pick a cache and save it you can use it outside cell phone coverage just like you would with a GPX file. The advantage of the application is real-time access to cache information - and that does require a network connection. If you have WiFi you can also access the information outside of cell phone coverage.

If you are a hardcore geocacher I see the application as more of a companion device for your standard GPS handheld, not a replacement. If you are a casual geocacher that likes to look up and find caches in addition to some other activity it works well for that too. On Saturday, for example, I found a cache at a local park on my way home by pulling over and seeing what was in the area. I didn't have to do any prep work to find that cache - I just opened up the application and did a quick search.

I have been waiting for this app for a while now, happy it is close to a release..

Just a question which at least I haven't seen an answer for in the thread or in the screenshots..

Is it possible to view distance and speed etc in metric units?

And I saw that someone posted a request for picture uploading along with the log posts in the future version, seems like a given feature request :) Hope you guys implement that!

By the way, is the app going to be released in all app store countries?

On Saturday, for example, I found a cache at a local park on my way home by pulling over and seeing what was in the area. I didn't have to do any prep work to find that cache - I just opened up the application and did a quick search.

That's what I'll probably use this application for. The "Gee, I've got to run an errand, why don't I see what's nearby" caching trips. (Which I do a lot these days.)

However, I expect I will still used iGeocacher when I want to plan out a very specific pocket query and upload that info so I have it available.

And, of course, I will still have my trusty Garmin GPSmap 60csx on my hip in case I need it.

I just wish Apple would go ahead and release it already. I've been checking the app store at least twice a day for the past week. What's taking so long?

- Ringo67

Edited by Ringo67

I have been so impressed with the ability of the iphone to find geocaches that I was able to sell my Garmin Colorado ( which I liked very much )

Garmin Colorado and Auto Routing Software = $ 500.00

Versus

Geocaching.com APP = $ 9.99

IGeocacher ( when no cell available ) = $ 14.99

= $ 375.00 savings PRICELESS

You calculate costs just like a politician**. Are you perhaps running for a public office?

You included the costs of the hardware in your Garmin calculation but not the iphone calc. What's more, the iphone solution requires a huge monthly cost.

Colorado + auto-routing software: $500 + $3/ monthly (to download PQs)

Iphone + GC app + igeocacher + service: $199 + $9.99 + $14.99 + $70/mo (MINIMUM) + $3/mo (PQs) + 2 YEAR CONTRACT

Of course if you already have/need an iphone it's a no brainer. But many people don't need the bells and whistles phones.

-Ben

** To avoid flame wars, i will neglect to mention which one. :)

I have been waiting for this app for a while now, happy it is close to a release..

Just a question which at least I haven't seen an answer for in the thread or in the screenshots..

Is it possible to view distance and speed etc in metric units?

There's an option to switch between miles and km

And I saw that someone posted a request for picture uploading along with the log posts in the future version, seems like a given feature request :) Hope you guys implement that!

It isn't in the current roadmap for the next couple of updates, but it is a desired feature we'd like to add.

By the way, is the app going to be released in all app store countries?

It first launches in English worldwide. Updates will be included for at least German, French, Dutch and Czech.

I just wish Apple would go ahead and release it already. I've been checking the app store at least twice a day for the past week. What's taking so long?

- Ringo67

It has been listed on our account as "ready for sale" since Friday so I've been checking about every 4 hours to see if it is in the store. They have been known to release from 3-5 days after it is listed as ready so hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday it will be available.

There's an option to switch between miles and km

It first launches in English worldwide. Updates will be included for at least German, French, Dutch and Czech.

Well, it seems like a given buy as soon as it becomes available.. Wonderful. Actually I don't care about the translations even close to how important it is to have the option to use metric units.. So I am more than pleased :D

Keep up the good work!

- Ringo67

It has been listed on our account as "ready for sale" since Friday so I've been checking about every 4 hours to see if it is in the store. They have been known to release from 3-5 days after it is listed as ready so hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday it will be available.

Its kinda like waiting for your first cache to get published :D

What is the best "search term" to use in the iTunes Store to find this application when it is eventually released? I'm now using "geocaching". Is that sufficient? I'm assuming it is.

I search for "geocach" (with no 'e'). That way, I see all apps that use "geocaching" "geocacher" "geocache" or "geocaches" in the description (I'd like to know when other, smaller, developers release apps too). I've tried just searching for "cach" - which may turn up other relevant results for geocaching programs, but I find that that introduces too many junk results.

- Ringo67

I've heard from other developers with iPhone apps that the vetting process takes about a week, so when you mentioned that you had submitted the app on the 26th, I thought it would surely be ready for the weekend.

Oh well, you'll be getting my $9.99 ... eventually. Minus Apple's cut, of course. :D

- Ringo

Edited by Ringo67

I swear this is like watching water boil!!!!!!!!! I have been checking the App store every 15 minutes it seems for a week now. LOL

C'mon Jeremy! Whats the name of the app ????

There is no point in checking the App store multiple times a day. New apps are loaded overnight so checking once in the morning should be all you need.

On iTunes, go to the "Navigation" category in the App Store, and you the app should shop up there once it is published. The default view for the categories is "Release Date" so new apps are on the first page. Keep in mind however that this does not apply for updates to apps, just for the release date.

-J

I swear this is like watching water boil!!!!!!!!! I have been checking the App store every 15 minutes it seems for a week now. LOL

There is no point in checking the App store multiple times a day. New apps are loaded overnight so checking once in the morning should be all you need.

On iTunes, go to the "Navigation" category in the App Store, and you the app should shop up there once it is published. The default view for the categories is "Release Date" so new apps are on the first page. Keep in mind however that this does not apply for updates to apps, just for the release date.

-J

Not sure why, but Simple GPS showed up late this morning after I checked the App Store all morning. Are you sure they only load them at night??

Nice. Great to see an 'official' app that is able to use the website.

The two biggest things I would like in an iPhone app are...

1. Multi/Puzzle aware - one that can be used for recording notes, adding waypoints and navigating to them whilst out in the field.

2. An ability to upload GPX files so that the device can still be used in out of range areas. You don't have to go far places in NZ to lose coverage. And not all of us actually have data plans either.

Cheers Gav

I'm with you 100%. I lost my GPS and haven''t replaced it. About the time that happened I purchased an iPhone and went looking for GPS enabled apps to see if I could get away with just my new iPhone in the field. The ultimate goal for me is pare down to the fewest devices possible.

I found iGeocacher and without hesitation, purchased and installed for $15. It works great but has a couple limitations, the biggest being the inability to modify coordinates in the field when you are working on a puzzle or multi-cache.

I then came accross an app in development called Geode, also another healthy app that does everything i want it to, but it's not out yet.

Then I saw this app pop up when the site was updated and thought, OK, now just which one of these - or combination of these - should I use?

Personally, I'll pay whatever I have to to get full cache searching capability on my iPhone so i don't have to spend big bucks on a replacement GPS.

I'll be watching and waiting. Christmas is just around the corner...

-J

Not sure why, but Simple GPS showed up late this morning after I checked the App Store all morning. Are you sure they only load them at night??

Obviously not :D

So, did anyone actually reveal the true name of the app yet?

Also, to whomever said that Apple releases new apps once a day, that is incorrect. They are released throughout the day, and occasionally even on weekend days.

And the whole "thou shalt not discuss other apps" crap is lame. You have an app that does a job, expect it to be compared to other apps that do the same thing. If you can't handle that, then don't make apps. But comparisons come with the territory.

This thread is specifically about Groundspeak's iPhone app, to be released soon. It's not about anything else.

If others wish to talk about other subjects, please read the forum guidelines and decide if it is appropriate to start a new topic.

Thanks.

Also, to whomever said that Apple releases new apps once a day, that is incorrect. They are released throughout the day, and occasionally even on weekend days.

And the whole "thou shalt not discuss other apps" carp is lame. You have an app that does a job, expect it to be compared to other apps that do the same thing. If you can't handle that, then don't make apps. But comparisons come with the territory.

Then open another thread...it was never siad you can't compare...you just can't compare in this thread. Anyone here was/is more then welocme to start that thread about comparing apps...

This thread is specifically about Groundspeak's iPhone app, to be released soon. It's not about anything else.

If others wish to talk about other subjects, please read the forum guidelines and decide if it is appropriate to start a new topic.

Thanks.

And the whole "thou shalt not discuss other apps" carp is lame. You have an app that does a job, expect it to be compared to other apps that do the same thing. If you can't handle that, then don't make apps. But comparisons come with the territory.

Then open another thread...it was never siad you can't compare...you just can't compare in this thread. Anyone here was/is more then welocme to start that thread about comparing apps...

I have to say I don't quite understand the distinction. As long as the discussion is about comparing the features and benefits of Groundspeak's Geocaching application with other iphone or pda applications, then it is entirely relevant to the topic. If, however, the discussion is simply about other apps, then I can see it distracting the discussion away from Groundspeak's app.

I have to say that your initial post attempting to limit the discussion left a bad taste in my mouth.

I have to say I don't quite understand the distinction. As long as the discussion is about comparing the features and benefits of Groundspeak's Geocaching application with other iphone or pda applications, then it is entirely relevant to the topic. If, however, the discussion is simply about other apps, then I can see it distracting the discussion away from Groundspeak's app.

Again, this thread is an announcement of the new Geocaching app, not a discussion of the various apps available for iPhone.

I have to say that your initial post attempting to limit the discussion left a bad taste in my mouth.

Again, to quote MissJenn:

Thanks.

Continued off-topic discussion in this thread may (and likely will) lead to limited use of the forums for a bit.

*nevermind*

Still not there... I cannot believe I (a PC guy) is anxiously awaiting and frequenting an Apple site. Isn't this a sign of the end times?

It is so true. I'm working on Windows XP and Vista machines and can't get enough of the iPhone. I wonder who will post the first review for the geocaching.com iPhone app? I will purchase it as SOON as it is finally released, but may not to use it right away. :D

Thanks.

Continued off-topic discussion in this thread may (and likely will) lead to limited use of the forums for a bit.

Threats, that's great.

Sadly, this is why I don't frequent the forums anymore.

Anyway, it seems the few people complaining about the few references to other apps in this thread are the moderators.

Oh, and to make sure this post is not totally off topic ... I'm still waiting for the Geocaching app to be released.

- Ringo67

Edited by Ringo67

Thanks.

Threats, that's great.

Anyway, it seems the few people complaining about the few references to other apps in this thread are the moderators.

Oh, and to make sure this post is not totally off topic ... I'm still waiting for the Geocaching app to be released.

- Ringo67

I agree. What's the big deal about talking about other programs as well? I am certainly glad that Jeremy released this program and am very much looking forward to it, but to say that we can't talk about another program? Seems a little, ummmm, too strict if you ask me. I feel like I'm being scolded by my mother. LOL

And yes, I'm still anxiously awaiting this new app, whatever it's called. LOL Maybe it's been out for a few days now but since we don't know the name of it we aren't aware. LOL

For me it'll be Geode v the "as yet unnamed" GC one...whatever comes 1st will win. ;)

Oh, and by the way Ringo67.....if I have a friendly chat with my friends about how great Orson Welles was as a film director. :D

Should they be worried about also mentioning Frank Capra or John Ford.

Of course not! :D:grin:

Thanks.

Threats, that's great.

- Ringo67

I 2ND THAT!

iPhone Apps brought me to geocaching.com for the first time last week. It makes for a great family pass time. In the last week of knowing about geocaching we have already turned 3 new families on to the hobby as well.

However, this moderator censorship and threats could just as quickly turn me away from geocaching.

May I kindly suggest that the moderators of this forum express thier concerns in a friendly manner as opposed to a way that causes animosity from the people who support and love there services. Maybe even link to a new thread focused on addressing their concerns instead of censoring them all together. After all, it's not like anyone is swearing or calling names or saying anything disrespectful or offensive what-so-ever. The returned courtesy would be greatly appreciated and admired.

I am anxiously awaiting the release of the geocaching iPhone App. A prior post said it takes 3-5 days from Apples confirmation, putting the likely release date between Monday and Today. Has there been any news of a delay or are we just waiting on a tight lipped Apple?

Thank You - Keep Up The Good Work!

.... snip ... I agree. What's the big deal about talking about other programs as well? ..... snip

It's THEIR sandbox. You have to play by THEIR rules. In fact, you AGREED to when you voluntarily chose to join the site and the forums.

I kinda thought it was "our" sandbox.

I have started a new discussion.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...4&hl=iphone

I have been advised by a "super duper delegate" that there are already several threads in the GPS and Technology area discussing this topic. I wasn't able to find any specific to iphone apps though.

Really, we should stop beating around the bush. Can we or can we not, discuss other applications so long as it does not distract from this thread. ie elsewhere

If any discussion of other apps is forbidden....anywhere.....just say so rather than leaving it up to every individual to wade through and interpret the terms and conditions. If it is forbidden, I will NEVER mention any of those other apps in this forum...ever....ever...ever.

As I've said before....can't wait for the geocaching.com. I think it will be great and I will buy the minute I see it listed. Then, if it is good as I expect to to be, I will extolling its virtues in the apple store reviews.

I don't think the moderators could have made it any more clear (several times). I've got some swim weanies for those feeling repressed. Back to "the actual topic". Where's my Geocaching app?!?!?!?!?! Apple's speed is making Microsoft look good. Do they test the apps before they go out or something? Microsoft would never get away with that kind of stuff. What a conundrum. I hate Apple but love that darn iPhone :huh:

.... snip ... I agree. What's the big deal about talking about other programs as well? ..... snip

It's THEIR sandbox. You have to play by THEIR rules. In fact, you AGREED to when you voluntarily chose to join the site and the forums.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...4&hl=iphone

I have been advised by a "super duper delegate" that there are already several threads in the GPS and Technology area discussing this topic. I wasn't able to find any specific to iphone apps though.

Really, we should stop beating around the bush. Can we or can we not, discuss other applications so long as it does not distract from this thread. ie elsewhere

If any discussion of other apps is forbidden....anywhere.....just say so rather than leaving it up to every individual to wade through and interpret the terms and conditions. If it is forbidden, I will NEVER mention any of those other apps in this forum...ever....ever...ever.

As I've said before....can't wait for the geocaching.com. I think it will be great and I will buy the minute I see it listed. Then, if it is good as I expect to to be, I will extolling its virtues in the apple store reviews.

You can talk about any app you want. They're just pointing out that this thread is just about the Groundspeak geocaching app on the iPhone. The GPS and Technology forums are a good place to start a new discussion about another app, or about geocaching on the iPhone in general. They're not being mean, just trying to keep threads on topic!

I don't have an iPhone, but I'm still excited to see Groundspeak branching out!

I don't think the moderators could have made it any more clear (several times). I've got some swim weanies for those feeling repressed. Back to "the actual topic". Where's my Geocaching app?!?!?!?!?! Apple's speed is making Microsoft look good. Do they test the apps before they go out or something? Microsoft would never get away with that kind of stuff. What a conundrum. I hate Apple but love that darn iPhone :huh:

Actually I can not wait until Nokia releases their new touch screen phone. The iPhone is more iPod than phone and more of a let down. Thank goodness there are enough apps that make it palatable.

The forums are owned and run by Groundspeak, who also makes the guidelines (enforced by the moderators) that are linked to at the top of every page. The requests have been clear on what this thread is for, so please keep it in that direction. HINT: Vg'f abg nobhg nal ncc bgure guna gur Trbpnpuvat ncc fhozvggrq ol Tebhaqfcrnx.

EXCELLENT! :huh:

Thanks.

Threats, that's great.

- Ringo67

I 2ND THAT!

iPhone Apps brought me to geocaching.com for the first time last week. It makes for a great family pass time. In the last week of knowing about geocaching we have already turned 3 new families on to the hobby as well.

However, this moderator censorship and threats could just as quickly turn me away from geocaching.

May I kindly suggest that the moderators of this forum express thier concerns in a friendly manner as opposed to a way that causes animosity from the people who support and love there services. Maybe even link to a new thread focused on addressing their concerns instead of censoring them all together. After all, it's not like anyone is swearing or calling names or saying anything disrespectful or offensive what-so-ever. The returned courtesy would be greatly appreciated and admired.

I am anxiously awaiting the release of the geocaching iPhone App. A prior post said it takes 3-5 days from Apples confirmation, putting the likely release date between Monday and Today. Has there been any news of a delay or are we just waiting on a tight lipped Apple?

Thank You - Keep Up The Good Work!

I third that! Having had problems with moderators being rude and overly restrictive before, I don't think that is a concern of theirs, however. They do what they want - it is their sandbox... they just have a lot of people who chose to leave because of it, or grudgingly continue to play in their sandbox until something better comes along.

I have been checking right along, having bought an ipod touch myself recently. I have considered switching over to an iphone, but like my treo for now - any chance of another application for treos? I know Verizon is hard to work with for the GPS access, but Palm shouldn't be too bad.

Eagerly waiting for the app to be released.