Geocaching on the iPhone - Submitted to Apple

Jeremy

Downloaded it and it looks pretty good. Definitely can second the fact that nearly all of the 20 closest caches to my home are either mine, or ones that I've already found - would love to be able to filter those out.

Eagerly waiting for the ability to log finds, as well :)

I took the app for a spin and unfortunately the app is dead. Whenever I tap on the Saved Caches button, the app crashes. The other things seem to work fine. The last cache I saved had a trackable item (travelbug) with it, which may have caused some issue. Cache Page

I'll have to delete the app and download it again. Just letting you know.

Edit: After starting fresh, after adding the same 4 caches in opposite order, this causes the app to crash when trying to access the Saved Caches.

Edit 2: I added a random group of 10, including the cache in the URL above and it didn't have a problem with that.

Edit 3: After removing them all and adding the 4 that I want saved, it got the application to crash with just 3 of the caches saved. (1, 2, 3.) I don't know how useful this information is but maybe it can help you replicate the bug, find out the issue and fix it.

Thanks.

Edited by yum9me

:) Yea! Finally it's here! - Got it. Tried it out and looks and works great. I like it that you don't need to decrypt the hint and text in the logs. In addition the the requests already mentioned previously, great enhancements to add are:

1) Add settings option to increase the number of logs shown to more than 20 and or ability to see more logs.

2) Add date of when the cache is hidden and/or published (an option could control which one is displayed)

3) Add date of when trackable item was released

4) Show logs of trackable item (with option to control how many to show and ability to see more)

5) Change the field in the search for trackable item not to clear the previous search. If you type it in wrong and search you can't go back and correct the typo (the whole field clears as soon as you touch it). You then have to enter it all in again.

6) Add ability to pinch screen smaller or rotate to landscape mode if description text is too big to see on screen (ex GCK8WV).

Edit 1 Confirmed the app always exits you try to access saved caches. I had one saved cache with out a trackable in inventory and it worked. Then I saved a 2nd one with two trackables in inventory and now it exits whenever you try to access the saved list. So it seems to be related to the trackables. Did a re-boot of the iPhone and still the same result. I have the older non-3G model. Firmware is up to date.

Edit 2 Deleted the app and downloaded it again. Added one cache with trackable. It exits when tried to access saved items. Opened the app again and now it's working. Added several more including one with out trackable and it's still working. Hmmnnn, go figure.

Edited by eheyman

The only draw back. Is that it does not put in member only caches. Due to that it can not tell who you are

"The only drawback" ... I don't think so.

Try not filtering out found caches. In an area where you have already done a lot of caching, this lack of feature is a huge drawback. Fortunately, this feature is supposed to be coming soon.

Also missing ( but noted as coming soon ) is the ability to log caches in the field ( or at least save them for uploading to field notes ).

Edited by nicolo

Had a first look at the app and it looks quite useful. Nevertheless, I tried navigating today at some (known) nearby Caches - the accuracy isn't comparable to my Garmin 60CSX, 56 feet compared to 10 feet! But I think, this couldn't be blamed to the app but to the iPhone.

What is anoying for me as a German user: Even after I switched the measure to metric, all distances are displayed in feet :)

And - using the app, this was the first time I had to restart the iPhone as it hung up completely!

Greetings from Germany

Peter

Edited by pheck

hi there

well. the application is there - great ,-))

some comments from my side:

• compass is in miles even if you have configured km/metric
  • list attributes from a cache
  • i want to save my username/password so i can:
    [**] log (comment, log, whatever) a cache
    [**] search by filtering out my founds
    [**] access my bookmarks
  • i miss a waypoint tool so i can store intermediate results / set marks and make them available to the compass application in the geocaching tool and open links to the web
  • i miss a field to add personal notes to a cache (e.g. hints, etc.)
  • integrated calculator to convert / change waypoints / calculate distances / angles etc (-> multi caches)
  • better search by having filters like the web
  • if possible show some caches around you on a map (like on geocaching.com -> map)
  • possibilty to send a message to: cache owner, people in logs and in your friends-ist (useful when you're on the way and want to contact someone). you've got your mail anyway in your pocket ,-)
  • increase the number of logs (20/25?)
  • does the tool only lists active caches?
  • if there is an maintenance note -> show it on the overview
  • trackable objects
    [**] see history (logs)
    [**] drop it in a cache (see logging)

well.. thats what came out from a 10minute review. ,-)

greetings

- mr.mouse

Edited by mr.mouse

This was my review and comments as posted on the App Store.

Glad to see this application finally show up on the App Store. It is a good start, but it is missing some pretty critical features. For me personally, I would like to see these thre things added for the next revision:

1. Ability to log in so that I can filter out the caches I have already found.

2. Ability to log my finds and Trackables

3. Ability to see a map with the caches around me, and select from that view which caches to hunt.

The list of caches around me is ok, but a map is essential to figure out which caches are most interesting and muggle free. $10 is cheap when you consider the cost of a true GPS, so this app is worth it, specially when and if they improve it with the suggestions above.

Yay! I took it out to find two caches last night with some friends. They never cached before and really like it. I totally dig the app! It never crashed on me once. Thanks! I echo what other people are asking for, specifically, (1) ability to log-in to hide previous finds, (2) search results displayed on a map. I'm not a hard core geocacher, so I think I speak for the newbs when I say these two features would be most wanted. Without them this app feels like a beta. Regardless, I really love it!

I tried to use the compass but found it lacking. I don't think it's Groundspeak's fault since other compasses I've used on the iPhone pretty much suck. It's the fault of the iPhone. I think the GPS is just not accurate enough. I prefer to use the Google map in Hybrid mode. I would love it if the compass worked well because then it'd probably feel more adventurous - but, that's probably not a strong option until the next iPhone comes out.

The new app looks nice, but because I only have an Ipod Touch, I need the ablility to use gpx files. I don't want to have to save cache to have access to it in the field. I will stick with the Igeocacher app until the Groundspeak app adds the ability to parse gpx files.

Thanks! Keep the feedback coming. It will be in active development for some time (though I hear that the lead time for upgrades can be a couple of weeks *after* we submit changes.

PLEASE don't announce it here when updates are submitted. :P:)

No kidding.

For iPod Touch users I want to make sure that the current issues are crippling the application to much. If they are I can restrict the use (and purchase) of the application for iPhone users only. We definitely don't want to create a poor experience for anyone.

Send PQ To saved items could work. I'm assuming the application can handle 500 saved caches.

Congratulations Jeremy

Great looking program, obviously still undergoing active development

However, for non US users I have found a minor hiccup though; when you select "metric" the navigation screen still continues in imperial units

Thanks! Keep the feedback coming. It will be in active development for some time (though I hear that the lead time for upgrades can be a couple of weeks *after* we submit changes.

Yeah, it's the same lag as publishing, isn't it? I've noticed that lots of apps edit their blurb pages to say what the new features are that will appear as soon as Apple publishes...

I'll add my two cents that this app looks like a great start. My top two "you gotta fix this ASAP" issues (along with some of the reported bugs) are:

1. You've got to allow showing of "members only" caches. Since I can't pull them up, even knowing the GC number, this is a severe handicap and makes it impossible to not have my other "paperless" source with me.

2. You've got to filter out "found caches". Anyone with a substantial number of finds will find this impossible to use within their local area unless they go after specific GC numbers since the returned list of caches in most cases for a general query will largely have already been found.

Others have mentioned logging from the field, etc. and I think those ideas are all pretty great too and look forward to seeing them in a future update. I'll add to the list of "nice to have" by saying I'd really like to see the app remember where I left off when I re-enter (such as when I navigate to the map application). My favorite nice to have however would be the logging from the field.

-jk

2. You've got to filter out "found caches". Anyone with a substantial number of finds will find this impossible to use within their local area unless they go after specific GC numbers since the returned list of caches in most cases for a general query will largely have already been found.

I agree.

But what a great app and probably the only one I would pay for! There is great potential and I can't wait till all the kinks are worked out. When we first purchased the Colorado from Garmin there were lots of complaints about is limitations but many of them have been overcome and we wouldn't cache without it now. So I'm sure there are great things on the way for the app.

I just like the fact that I have a phone, camera, GPS, web browser, etc. in one device, the only thing I will need to buy now is a car charger cause I can see lots of battery usage!

Edited by fresgo

Having access to pocket queries is one of the advantages of a premium membership. While one can immediately see the advantages of only have the top twenty or whatever caches whenever they want; it makes for a lame experience for the iPod Touch. If you have a iPod Touch as well as a trail GPSr, you should be able to load a GPX onto your iPod and use it for paperless caching. Especially when other applications designed for geocaching which have been out of almost a month or two already have this ability, I would of expected that Groundspeak would be able to implement this feature in the first release of their branded product.

That being said, it's a nice app if you have an iPhone, but it's pretty useless once you get on a trail, even in Vancouver, you'll lose service as soon as you go up any of the local mountains.

Seems to work good right off the shelve. It was real close to the numbers as the Colorado, for me. I can't really see getting rid of the Colorado tho. The iphone battery life sucks. BTW, the iphone has really no warranty. So if you drop it, thats it. The Colorado is built a little better. Nice app if you are out and about and forgot your real gps and need to get a FTF after your notification comes up on your iphone or just want to show someone about geocaching.

Hi

Downloaded this tonight and I am really looking forward to taking it for a spin tomorrow.

Is there some place to report bugs, submit feature requests and perhaps see the roadmap?

I have been playing with the application for a while and I have found a few issues:

1. On the compass / tracking screen it always shows measurements in Miles even though Kilometers has been selected in settings.

2. After doing a search and tapping on a cache to see details, the "Save", Description, Recent Logs and Hints are greyed out. After approx. 10 seconds (!) the button/fields becomes active. I'm guessing this might be by design, perhaps because the application is loading detailed information in the background. Its not a big problem, just somewhat annoying. Please note that I'm on an Edge network, so perhaps it has something to do with network speed. I'm not able to test on Wi-Fi and 3G at the moment.

Also first time I tapped on Save the application crashed on me. I have not been able to reproduce this though.

I also have some feature requests:

1. The general possibility to log into my account, and be able to mark caches found (and possibly update the log). Also it would be nice that found caches was marked in search results or perhaps som filtering mechanism, so I could choose to see all or only those not yet found.

2. It would be really nice when clicking on "Find Caches" that the last search result was displayed instead of a clean search page. In Denmark where I live, 3G coverage is really bad and searches take quite some time when on Edge network.

Geocaching is a new hobby for the wife and me. She has the Trimble Navigator on her Nokia 6220. This application is far more complete than anything I have been able to find for the iPhone at the moment, so I'm very interested in seeing this application mature. If you need testers in a non english/US speaking country, please let me know.

Regards

Allan

I'm very happy right now.

So long as I've got a bar or two, I can find nearby caches even if I had not planned on caching, e.g. if I had not done a PQ to download to my GPS. If I plan on being in the boonies, I'll have to remember to do a PQ ahead of time.

(It would be nice to be able to parse the gpx file right out of the e-mail on my iPhone.)

I agree with the others that the two biggest improvements should be:

1. Filtering finds, and

2. A map showing all nearby caches (much like on gc.com).

And, if I got to fantasize, I'd ask for an algorithm that will tell me which way to go to optimize my grabs. (So as not to belabor this post, I'll explain this issue in a subsequent post.)

I'm not going to make a big long list of requests that were already stated as "In the coming update"... I did notice that the compass only updates every 5 or 6 seconds. On my first test run, I found it to be a bit ackward with the long delay. Can you speak to the delay and if its possibly to increase the update frequency? Maybe make it an option (because it probably sucks up the batteries faster)..

Otherwise, a great start! The UI is very straightforward and user friendly. You guys did a great job. Looking forward to future updates.

Glad the official app is up, took it for a spin yesterday. However as I tried to do a multi cache the app was usless. Had to switch right back to geopherlight. Also most of the caches it found near me I have already found.

I thought I would use the official app to view the multi cache I was doing via the saved function (details etc..) however this always crashes.

Pity as I had high hopes for this, hopefully the next update will fix some of the issues !

Nice job on the app guys! I saw a post on www.tuaw.com about the official Geocaching app coming, so I've been watching this thread, waiting for it to be released. My wife and I have some friends that are way in to the hunt, so I wanted to get the app and see what it was all about, and show off some new features of my new iPhone 3G. Downloaded it Friday night, and so far haven't had any problems.

I've never been Geocaching before, though I've been aware of it and almost got into it a few years ago. So we're sitting at Buffalo Wild Wings Saturday watching football, and I'm showing the app to my friends, and it shows a cache a mere 0.2 miles away. The title had something about a bullseye, and we're right next to Target, so I figure, hey, I should go look! I wait til halftime, fire up the app, and follow the arrow. Across the parking lot, looking up occasionally to make sure I don't get hit by any cars, around the corner... I switched to map mode, because at <~50 ft, the arrow just starts going crazy. I looked real quick and couldn't find it. Zoomed in on myself in the map mode. Got right on top of the red dot, and BAM! There's a little nano cache! It was so exciting! It was even more interesting to see that it had been signed 3x previously too! All in a rush from that one, I went back to the app, and there was another cache .3 miles away. Walked over to that one with a friend, and found my first ammo can! My 2nd cache, his first.

There's no question that I never would have found either of those things without this app. The perfect storm of Groundspeak development, Apple design, and a halftime beer buzz have got me all excited about this activity.

Being 2 caches into my career, this app is perfect. It's great because I always have my phone with me, so if I'm bored, I can just fire it up and head off a few hundred feet and find something. I can definitely see the value of some of the requests here (filtering caches, something to be done about multi-caches, putting a log capability in, etc), but those will just be candles on a cake that's already got icing.

My personal suggestion for an improvement is to have some way to load cache data into the iPhone, in case you're out of cell range (which happens occasionally in the middle of Eastern Iowa). That opens up a whole mess of a can of worms, but if you integrated some way to browse the website at home, save your caches to your account, and then integrate with the (semi) push model that the iPhone supports, so we didn't have to sync, the info was just sent Over the Air... Oh man, Killer app.

Bottom line... great product. Got me to do my first cache, and will keep me doing more. Looking forward to seeing what you have next.

TFTA,

Andy

As the previous poster indicated the Find arrow is somewhat useless when you get anywhere close to the cache. I've found that the phone sensitivity is seriously lacking. If there's any tree canopy at all the accuracy falls apart rapidly. Basically I've had to look at the map location and my location in an open area. Then I have to reconcile a guess where I think the cache might be because there's no finding it reasonably as you enter any density of trees.

The find arrow has not been useful yet. The update on it is insanely slow (>5 seconds per update). I thought it might have been the phone and I did a restore. After the restore it was exactly the same.

It's a nice application to have just to simply look up caches but I can't say it was worth $10 based on the things everyone has found and noted above. I hope there's a significant improvement in the app. I can't do much about the accuracy and sensitivity of the phone.

I've already commented on the need to filter finds and how nice it would be to have a map showing nearby caches. Today, I went out caching and used my iPhone in conjunction with my Garmin, to which I had uploaded a gpx file for nearby caches. I was hoping to use my iPhone to tell me about the cache and whether it had been recently found before driving to it. The whole process really reinforced me belief in the need for the ability to filter finds.

I realize that filtering finds will be no small task and will require one to log in. However, it is really important when one is in an area where one has already grabbed many caches. Until you've already driven to the site of a new cache, you may not be able to find out about it.

On the GEOCACHING website you NEED to log on to see the coordinates..

From the app EVERYONE can open the app and go to the caches....

Even iphone users that are not familiar with caching but installed the app can see coordinates..

Are we attracting mugglers (for $9,99) ???

Login from the app is very wanted

I would like to see "bearing" to the cache displayed on the Navigation page instead of Cardinal points. This would alow the use of a magnetic compass when near the cache as the accuracy of the iPhone GPSr is too poor to be of much use closer than 100 feet.

Cache page does not show half stars for difficulty and terrain.

Edited by Nonsuch30

Nice job on the app guys! I saw a post on www.tuaw.com about the official Geocaching app coming, so I've been watching this thread, waiting for it to be released. My wife and I have some friends that are way in to the hunt, so I wanted to get the app and see what it was all about, and show off some new features of my new iPhone 3G. Downloaded it Friday night, and so far haven't had any problems.

I've never been Geocaching before, though I've been aware of it and almost got into it a few years ago. So we're sitting at Buffalo Wild Wings Saturday watching football, and I'm showing the app to my friends, and it shows a cache a mere 0.2 miles away. The title had something about a bullseye, and we're right next to Target, so I figure, hey, I should go look! I wait til halftime, fire up the app, and follow the arrow. Across the parking lot, looking up occasionally to make sure I don't get hit by any cars, around the corner... I switched to map mode, because at <~50 ft, the arrow just starts going crazy. I looked real quick and couldn't find it. Zoomed in on myself in the map mode. Got right on top of the red dot, and BAM! There's a little nano cache! It was so exciting! It was even more interesting to see that it had been signed 3x previously too! All in a rush from that one, I went back to the app, and there was another cache .3 miles away. Walked over to that one with a friend, and found my first ammo can! My 2nd cache, his first.

There's no question that I never would have found either of those things without this app. The perfect storm of Groundspeak development, Apple design, and a halftime beer buzz have got me all excited about this activity.

Being 2 caches into my career, this app is perfect. It's great because I always have my phone with me, so if I'm bored, I can just fire it up and head off a few hundred feet and find something. I can definitely see the value of some of the requests here (filtering caches, something to be done about multi-caches, putting a log capability in, etc), but those will just be candles on a cake that's already got icing.

My personal suggestion for an improvement is to have some way to load cache data into the iPhone, in case you're out of cell range (which happens occasionally in the middle of Eastern Iowa). That opens up a whole mess of a can of worms, but if you integrated some way to browse the website at home, save your caches to your account, and then integrate with the (semi) push model that the iPhone supports, so we didn't have to sync, the info was just sent Over the Air... Oh man, Killer app.

Bottom line... great product. Got me to do my first cache, and will keep me doing more. Looking forward to seeing what you have next.

TFTA,

Andy

Congrats on your first finds - You have used the iPhone exactly as it was meant to be used - I know some cachers might want it all in one tidy package - but the google maps feature is very accurate in lieu of a better compass. It's not yet perfect - but it works - even a first timer got it right by using the phone's features as needed.

Even iphone users that are not familiar with caching but installed the app can see coordinates..

I also thought it was strange that you didn't need to login or have an account to get the coords. Hopefully we won't see a sudden increase in muggled caches...

Yeeehaw! Just d/l this app. Finally, the one thing that always kept me from really getting into this was having to preload all the caches I might want to find onto my GPS.

Now I'm connected, all the time, so when I feel the need to not log yet another cache, I can go right out and find them near me. Too cool.

Fetures needed.... 1. Logging, so I can actually log that I found a cache, without having to go to my PC.

2. Ability to upload photos, etc... So I can show my non founds...

Wogman

Still "zero" finds, but some of you may have read my DNFs in the cache's I've visited!

all i can say is thankyou. just last week i was in dallas (I live in SoCalif) coming in from a long night at work. cellphone went off with a publish notification in the area. pulled up to a McDonalds (free wifi for att users) pulled out my touch and was trying to get the info from the GCwebsite. Even though have done this before, it just was not working that night. got zoomed into a map so my attempt to scroll the page was moving the map and all I could do was say to myself... this could be so much better.... problem solved. bought within minutes of hearing about it. thankyou

Edited by retrofit

Seems to me that the one feature that everyone is screaming for would be the ability for a PQ's to be taken straight from the I-phone e-mail into this program and a switch to use the pq or the online database. With the ability to search the PQ using the nearest to the location or by cache name if the I-phone wasn't getting a good signal.

Congrats on your first finds - You have used the iPhone exactly as it was meant to be used - I know some cachers might want it all in one tidy package - but the google maps feature is very accurate in lieu of a better compass. It's not yet perfect - but it works - even a first timer got it right by using the phone's features as needed.

Thanks!

Yeah, the one nice thing about using the map feature was turning on the Hybrid mode. Seeing a satellite image of where the cache was hidden helped quite a bit on another one I did. But then the pictures were a few years old in another part of town, and the pin was pointing to an empty field. D'oh!

I think that a free online registration is more likely to allow random muggles access to cache location. If someone bothers to spend 10 bucks on software, they're probably a bit more serious about caching than "EVERYONE".

Cool.

Maybe this will push Garmin to add some more useful geocaching functionality to their devices.

For example, I don't understand why - given that I have enough memory in my gps to store the location and name of every street in the country (2 GB) - I can't save more than 30 characters of text with a waypoint. A full cache description and hints would be great.

PN

with my Colorado I can store 2000caches with the discriptin hints and past logs.

My point exactly. There's no reason why the eTrex series shouldn't be able to do that. It's really not a lot of data compared to what the little device is capable of.

I think that a free online registration is more likely to allow random muggles access to cache location. If someone bothers to spend 10 bucks on software, they're probably a bit more serious about caching than "EVERYONE".

I would agree that people willing to spend money are a bit more serious (for good or bad)...but more use for a login would help with filtering out caches one has already found

Edited by ArcherDragoon

$10 for less than what I can do with Safari and Google Maps on the phone for free?

No thanks.

I can also go get a free coordinate reporting program or for about $1-$2 there are some compass and distance-to-destination type programs if I want to use the phone as a GPSr searching for a waypoint.

I'll check back once it seems like the $10 might be for more than just a naked money grab due to the monopoly held on the data access.

I bought this on Sunday, when I did a search for GEOCACHING, but still use the Safari browser, and Gopher Lite due to not being able to LOG IN yet, with this application. Does show promise, but there is so much cache clutter, where I need to filter out all the caches that are mine, and and those that I found already. Also to be able to filter out all non-traditionals, is what I need to be able to do on this APP.

Did not know about this thread before today, since I have not been caching in a while, so I was taken by surprise when I searched for GEOCACHING.

I'm very happy right now.

I agree with the others that the two biggest improvements should be:

1. Filtering finds, and

2. A map showing all nearby caches (much like on gc.com).

These are the things I would put on the top of the wish list also.

Kudos to Groundspeak for creating this useful quick lookup tool. Nice job!! Just what the doctor ordered.

Is there some listing of upcoming features / functions that the app development team is presently working on?

:laughing::ph34r::anibad:

I downloaded the app on Friday and used it while Caching on the road this weekend. I use an Ipod Touch and really like the app. There is enough wi-fi around to locate nearby files and save them. This is a great paperless solution. I have had one hic up as I had to reload the app Sunday night as I could not open the save file window.. since then there has been no problems.

Keep it coming :ph34r:

A further thought on filtering caches one has already found ... Filtering finds is not nearly so critical when one is caching in a new area.

For caching near home, I have 2 PQs totaling 800 caches I have not found downloaded to my GPS and Palm. The GPS will show caches based on what is nearest nearest and will give me a map. I rely on it when I go caching or am near home and have the urge to grab one or two caches. I use my Palm to get info on the caches that I'm going after. I update the PQs every week or two.

I have started using my iPhone with the new app to supplement these tools and to check on whether there are recent logs on the caches I'm seeking. I also use it to see if there are any brand new caches nearby. And, I will use it to give me a route from where I am to the approximate location of the cache I'm seeking. This is extremely convenient ... maybe the best use of the new app.

For caching away from home, I just use the iPhone with the new app. I do not need to worry about filtering finds. I do not need to worry about doing a PQ before I leave. And, of course, it gives me a route.

While I REALLY WANT to be able to filter my finds, I won't die if I don't get that.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please do not require us to log in in order to seek caches. I know that to filter finds, one must log in, but please make logging in and filtering finds optional. For as often as one must pop out of the app, e.g. to use a map, take another call, etc., having to keep logging in will be a real pain. Thanks.

$10 for less than what I can do with Safari and Google Maps on the phone for free?

I respectfully, but strongly disagree.

I can't do what the new app does, whether with Safari and Google Maps or anything else.

The new app will "cut and paste" the coords for a cache into the map and give me a route to drive to get to the cache. I'm not bright enough to remember the coords and therefore can't just type them into the map. I've got to write them down first.

While I can get driving directions using Safari to browse the cache page, it gives me a route based on my home as a starting point. That is usually not very helpful. And, while I can get a map using Safari to browse the cache page, it is awkward to move around on the map and/or to enlarge or shrink it.

Finally, getting and rendering the cache page using Safari is a lot slower than using the app.

Just my 2 cents.