Geocaching on the iPhone - Submitted to Apple

Jeremy

This was basically what I was waiting for before getting an iPhone. My wife has one and they are VERY useful. She is not so much into GeoCaching... So it is looking like I am getting a G3 for X-Mas. Woot!!!

Me too. I usually get the hand-me-down phone after the wife or daughter grabs the new one when a contract renews. they both have G3's now. Until now all I've wanted from a phone is to be able to make and receive phone calls. (I know, I'm a dinosaur). But I've already claimed the new phone we wil get in November...

Where's my Geocaching app?!?!?!?!?! Apple's speed is making Microsoft look good. Do they test the apps before they go out or something?

They run every app through a test suite, which attempts to look at every API call made, and to determine if there is any malicious intent, illegal API calls, etc. I'm fine with waiting, knowing that apps have been minimally tested by someone other than the developer. I am surprised that it hasn't hit the app store yet, since Jeremy said he got the notification email a couple of days ago. Hopefully it will today.

--Marky

Hey Jeremy and team - is this app for real? I haven't heard of an app taking this long to get reviewed and released before. The normal time is a week or less, even for the big ones. And why haven't we been informed of the name yet? I'm sensing a conspiracy/hoax - but that might just be the voices in my head - gotta go reline my aluminum foil hat....

Ok... the two weeks are up! Where's the app? I have been searching everday for "geocaching" or Geocach" Or just "Geo" but nothing! I agree that if Groundspeak has a direct link to the app (may companies do display a link on their web pages to their app) please post it! Or at least give us the official name. I can't stand thinking that I may be searching for this and not finding it because I don't have the name right!

Ok... the two weeks are up! Where's the app? I have been searching everday for "geocaching" or Geocach" Or just "Geo" but nothing! I agree that if Groundspeak has a direct link to the app (may companies do display a link on their web pages to their app) please post it! Or at least give us the official name. I can't stand thinking that I may be searching for this and not finding it because I don't have the name right!

Seems kind of odd that after several requests, they refuse to post the name of this app. I sure wil be glad once its posted though......

It's funny... Groundspeak said the app was submitted to Apple. Clearly the delay is caused by Apple, yet the tone is starting to move towards blaming Groundspeak for the delay...

Steve Jobs has his minions trained well...

<think StarWars>

[Waving my hand]

(Apple) Apple does not make mistakes...

(Apple) Microsoft is to blame...

(Minion) Apple does not make mistakes... Microsoft is to blame...

It's funny... Groundspeak said the app was submitted to Apple. Clearly the delay is caused by Apple, yet the tone is starting to move towards blaming Groundspeak for the delay...

Steve Jobs has his minions trained well...

<think StarWars>

[Waving my hand]

(Apple) Apple does not make mistakes...

(Apple) Microsoft is to blame...

(Minion) Apple does not make mistakes... Microsoft is to blame...

I'm thinking it got rejected for some reason and now GSP is trying to fix it.

-or-

Maybe the Apple employee responsible for approving it is too busy using it to find caches....

It's a hoax, I tell you.

They can't tell us the name because there isn't one.

Wait, if it was a hoax they'd just make up a name.

Actually, I think Jeremy and crew are just too busy hunting geocaches to bother with the rest of us little people. They've got the app already...

Well, after 2 weeks of anxiously waiting for what I expect to be a great app ... I'm getting tired of searching numerous times a day to see if it's available yet, or not. Every time I go to search, just in hopes it'll be there (finally), I'm faced with the reality of more waiting. Maybe when Jeremy wrote it should be within 2 weeks ... what he really meant was 2 months?

Ohhhh, say it ain't so!!

I've been following this forum and thought I'd put in my 2 cents.

1. I'm pretty sure that this application for the iPhone is in no way a hoax. It wouldn't ever be in the best interest of geocaching.com to make a fake news announcement about this sort of thing. Not good PR.

2. This application is still not in the store. I've been following watching every new application that shows up in the store since this was announced and new geocaching app (by any name) has not appeared yet. It's just taking a REALLY long time for apple to approve it and get it into the store. (There's usually been around 30 or so new apps appearing every day so I can imagine they are VERY busy.)

I for one am going to keep watching every day in anticipation of this app. It will be really cool once it does appear. If I happen to see it, I'll be sure that this forum is one of the first places I visit to announce it.

1. I'm pretty sure that this application for the iPhone is in no way a hoax. It wouldn't ever be in the best interest of geocaching.com to make a fake news announcement about this sort of thing. Not good PR.

That was a joke, son. Didn't you see the great big green and purple smilies that were floating all over the screen?

That was a joke, son. Didn't you see the great big green and purple smilies that were floating all over the screen?

now I feel slightly sheepish... whoops, had my... uh... sarcasm detector off...

Indeed! It's there now, supposedly in the navigation category, although it doesn't show up there (yet), and it's not on that appshopper page yet either. It's called geocacher, just type that into the search window, or the developer is Groundspeak. This is with itunes - don't know if the mobile versions of the store will show it yet either.

Edited by sduck

Indeed! It's there now, supposedly in the navigation category, although it doesn't show up there (yet), and it's not on that appshopper page yet either. It's called geocacher, just type that into the search window, or the developer is Groundspeak. This is with itunes - don't know if the mobile versions of the store will show it yet either.

It is in the mobile App Store, it's just tricky to find. Do a search for "geocach" and the list only pops up one app, the wrong one. But, hit the blue "Search" button and you get a more complete listing, with the one we want right at the bottom. Loads real fast too!

Wow! This app seems very well polished and simple to use for a first release!

Clear displays throughout and intuitive to use - some folks at Groundspeak have definitely put a lot of thought and effort into what seems a great design of an app.

If it works as well as it looks, this will be the geocaching app that sets the benchmark on the iphone. Now, just need to wait for morning to try it out in practice.

After using the new Geocaching App for 10 minutes, the first thing that annoys me is the constant error messages. I have an iPhone 2G with location services turned off because any locating is very inaccurate in my part of the world. Everytime I go into a section of the app, it gives me 3 error messages. Can you please fix this so it doesn't give me the error messages. A setting disabling the app from trying to use any location services would be nice, especially for a lot of us iPhone 2G and iPod Touch users that mainly want this app for paperless geocaching.

Other than that, this app does seem promising. I have yet to take it on a geocaching trip but am eagar to do so. Hopefully some of the little issues can be resolved and the app can be updated asap, without the 2 week wait on Apple.

Thanks for the app =)

Edit: I think I found a bug. When I search for a cache without a connection to the internet, the app crashes. Does this happen to anyone else?

Edited by yum9me

Found it! Downloading it now.

Just in time for the weekend!

Great start on the app. Love the search interface. Much better than Geopher Lite.

I hope you continue to add functions like the ability to log a find and do the more advanced search options that are available on the website.

Keep up the great work.

Well done application. I like the option that if you use the map feature and go back to the application, it keeps your log page. Haven't used the compass to find a cash, but just walking around a little bit, it seems to work well. The ability to filter finds and log caches will be a nice upgrade.

I'd also like a feature to see search results in google maps rather than in a list, with selectable caches. I'm sure that it's a lofty goal, but shouldn't be that much different that the native maps program that allows you to obtain additional information on a search item by selecting the red pin in places there.

Although it's more than good enough for enthusiasts to have at least this, if they add these:

1. geocaching.com login

2. Adding logbook entries

3. Uploading photos

4. Adding new geocaches with full information

5. Search results in Google Maps

6. Filter for search results

then it will be a lot better. And I'm sure they'll add these functions with a future update!

Edited by zdlo

Congratulations Jeremy

Great looking program, obviously still undergoing active development

However, for non US users I have found a minor hiccup though; when you select "metric" the navigation screen still continues in imperial units

Thanks! Keep the feedback coming. It will be in active development for some time (though I hear that the lead time for upgrades can be a couple of weeks *after* we submit changes.

Im so happy this is available, too bad It is sooo dark outside I want to go test it!!

While I am very excited and happy about what I see so far, I am disappointed you cannot log into your account so it will not list caches you have already found, also you cannot log your finds that sucks but these are issues that they are going to address soon i think in updates, so I am still very happy as it looks just great!!!

We will see how it preforms in the filed at sunrise :)

Great work Groundspeak!

Im sure you cn see the handful of things everyone is pretty much in agreement on that it needs and it looks like those several things are on your list to include so I am super happy i bought this!!!!1

One quick question that may be apparent and Im not getting it. When you look at a cache listing there are buttons for Save Navigate Map. Is there a way we can just "delete" caches that we have already found out of the list? or is that something we have to wait on the upgrade to filter out previous finds based on our geocaching accounts?

It seems the save button toggles from save to delete but there doesnt seem to be anything change if you click the delete button. also the most caches you can list is 20???

That seems strange is that going to change?

I like the Inventory tab on the cache page that is nice! Now if people would just just there TB finds/drops hahaha

Ok one last comment.

Im at my house right now and searching from current locations yields me a list of caches and I have found most everything in the list! and there is no way to see more than 20 listings. Do I have to actually travel away and search again??? This is not good since I would like to decide which direction i want to travel based on results. PLEASE give us some ability to delete or just not include caches when have logged as finds :)

Dont get me wrong this app is AWESOME!!!! LOVE IT!!!

Very happy the app is available and downloaded it immediately.

It looks great!! Looking forward to taking it for a spin.

I would echo others comments that being able to sort in some manner similar to a pocket query and showing more than 20 caches at a time would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure this is a work in progress and you have some plans for future updates.

Very happy the app is available and downloaded it immediately.

It looks great!! Looking forward to taking it for a spin.

I would echo others comments that being able to sort in some manner similar to a pocket query and showing more than 20 caches at a time would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure this is a work in progress and you have some plans for future updates