Geocaching on the iPhone - Submitted to Apple

Jeremy

Geocaching for the iPhone is an application written in Objective C using Apple's iPhone SDK.

What did you think of Objective C, xcode, Interface Builder, etc.? After working in Java for the past few years and not looking at a line of C++ code, I found Objective C kind of hard to pick up. I'm slowing getting an understanding of the language. It's not the object model that I'm used to, that's for sure.

--Marky

I Co-sign on the Wherigo App, after the Geocaching App gets approved you should start working on this Wherigo App :P

maybe when this is done you can fix Wherigo?

All snarkiness aside, we have a team actively working on the next generation of Wherigo. It will be a lot more flexible and will become the platform for our mobile strategy.

yes, how about a Wherigo app for the iphone, i dont have a pocketpc or a colorado gps.

I'm relieved to announce that we have submitted our first geocaching application for the iPhone to Apple yesterday. Depending on how quickly they get to reviewing the application we should see it in the Apple Store within 2 weeks. The cost of the application is $9.99 and has the functionality you need to look up and seek out caches using the networking and location-based features of the iPhone 3G. It also works with the iPod Touch and first gen iPhone though you will need WiFi for the Touch and the compass won't work on the first generation iPhone (naturally).

The first release will not have the feature to log caches or filter hides and finds, but it will be included as a free upgrade as we add that functionality - hopefully over the next month. We wanted to get the application out as soon as possible since the demand was so high for it.

Some non-obvious features:

• You can look up travel bugs and find out their goal while out on the trail
  • Saved Items allows you to save a cache listing and navigate to it, even when you are out of network range
  • The application starts in beginner mode which only shows traditional caches. Advanced shows all types
  • To help with speed issues on, say, the Edge network, you can restrict the number of results to 5, 10, 15 or 20

We'll be translating the application into multiple languages as well to support our international community.

Here are some screenshots of the application.

2889513707_b7eb263506.jpg2890348930_c979c6b73c.jpg2890348888_45c50ff5dc.jpg2889513559_7e9602681e.jpg2890348838_45d5fd2738.jpg

Edit - forgot to add the compass screen

Looks great!

I am, however, sad for the Geopher Lite guy that struggled with you all to get something similar up for the iphone but was stonewalled by y'all. I think you should have garnered his help.

You should have done this before now so that the little guy didn't get burned. It reminds me of the Grocery Store chains ousting the local stores and forcing them out. I am all for the little guy getting the credit and making some money.

Anyway, I am glad you have done this and look forward to trying it out.

Edited by The Trinity UK

So true - his app could have been so functional if you didn't have to input coordinates. A little cooperation could have made his app even better.

The upside is that his app is on the staff favorites list at the App Store - I wonder how many people have given caching a try and discovered geocaching.com because of his app.

So true - his app could have been so functional if you didn't have to input coordinates. A little cooperation could have made his app even better.

The upside is that his app is on the staff favorites list at the App Store - I wonder how many people have given caching a try and discovered geocaching.com because of his app.

I for one am one of those people who found the Geopherlite on itunes, downloaded it and made my way to geocaching.com. My family and I now enjoy this new hobby, that before geopherlite, we never would have done.

Any updated from Apple on the approval of this App?

I currently am using Geopher almost exclusively for caching now. I will carry my Etrex yellow in my car with me if a cache is a good hike from my location, mainly just to save the battery on my iphone. I was previously using Geoniche on my palm, and I think developers for iphone apps could learn alot from that app, it worked extremely well and was simple to use. Combine it with the power of the iphone and it would be an amazing tool.

Any updated from Apple on the approval of this App?

I currently am using Geopher almost exclusively for caching now. I will carry my Etrex yellow in my car with me if a cache is a good hike from my location, mainly just to save the battery on my iphone. I was previously using Geoniche on my palm, and I think developers for iphone apps could learn alot from that app, it worked extremely well and was simple to use. Combine it with the power of the iphone and it would be an amazing tool.

Chalk me up as another heavy Geopher Lite user. The ONLY thing it didn't do for us was auto-enter the coordinates and have DIRECT access, which would have cut down on a lot of overhead on EDGE. Both issues, as I understand them were limitations forced upon the author by Groundspeak's highly-restrictive (and arguably anti-competitive) terms of usage agreement... (Can't even scrape GPS coords of a page? give me a break, guys!)

As a software developer as well, I can certainly understand both sides, but considering that Geopher Lite had been out for quite a while, already had the makings of a great Geocaching tool, had a strong following, and the author tried time and time again to partner on it with Groundspeak, it seems like they should have done the right thing here and worked with the author to enhance the existing product and make it even better versus rolling-their-own while pigeon-holing him in the process.

From the screenshots, one of the concerns I have with the Groundspeak app is that it doesn't display when the cache was last found on any of the primary screens (looks like I have to get to the log entries to know for sure). Users shouldn't have to dig through 2-3 screens to figure out if the cache has had a bunch of DNFs posted over the last 6 months... Someone will have to tell me if it can be customized and I'm just not seeing it or not.

I think I'm going to stick to what I have for now. I'm not planning on spending another $10.00 when my $1.99 tool works fine for me. I'm sure Groundspeak will eventually find a way to force the developer to give up on enhancing his product altogether and then I'll have no choice, but today, I choose to support the little guy.

Edited by daschpeeg

I'm sooo confused. So the phone reads the MAC address of nearby Wi-Fi routers? How does the router/switch/whatever know where it is?

And, I'm guessing that Wi-Fi positioning only works if there is a network closeby, so if you're out in the woods, the iPhone would rely solely on the internal GPS?

The simplest way to describe the WiFi location function is that it works! If you go to "Maps" on your homescreen and tap the gunsight in the corner of the Map app, it will locate you, based on where the internet juice is flowing in and out of your wifi router. My Touch does it wherever there is wifi within a pretty good range.

It doesn't matter where the "internet juice is flowing." You don't have to be connected to Wi-Fi at all for it to determine your location. As long as there is a Wi-Fi signal somewhere reasonably close, it will work. Even if the signal is too weak to actually use for accessing the Internet, it will work. Even if the network is protected, and you don't have the password, it will work.

Skyhook has people who drive around the world in vehicles with very sensitive antennas for picking up 802.11 Wi-Fi networks. They detect the MAC address and the approximate location where the signal is coming from, based on signal strength from multiple locations. Users can also submit their router's MAC address and location to their website online. According to their website, "Skyhook has mapped the location of tens of millions of access points worldwide with extensive coverage in North America, Europe and Asia."

So the effective range of the Wi-Fi signal for use with Skyhook is larger than for the range of the signal to actually use the signal for browsing or whatever. But yeah, if you're out in the woods, Skyhook WPS (Wi-Fi Positioning System) won't work. That's really only a problem on the iPod Touch, though, since the first-generation iPhone can still use cell tower triangulation (though not as accurate) and the iPhone 3G can use A-GPS.

Some interesting info:

It doesn't matter where the "internet juice is flowing." You don't have to be connected to Wi-Fi at all for it to determine your location. As long as there is a Wi-Fi signal somewhere reasonably close, it will work. Even if the signal is too weak to actually use for accessing the Internet, it will work. Even if the network is protected, and you don't have the password, it will work.

Okay, thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize that was possible. Neat!

I for one am one of those people who found the Geopherlite on itunes, downloaded it and made my way to geocaching.com. My family and I now enjoy this new hobby, that before geopherlite, we never would have done.

If you read Geopher Lites reviews you will see that a lot of them are from first time cachers trying something new. Groundspeak only benefits from this - I understand keeping the competitive edge - but being the home of geocaching, they are positioned to win either way. It's disaappointing to see the little guy drum up interest and get shut out.

If you read Geopher Lites reviews you will see that a lot of them are from first time cachers trying something new. Groundspeak only benefits from this - I understand keeping the competitive edge - but being the home of geocaching, they are positioned to win either way. It's disaappointing to see the little guy drum up interest and get shut out.

It would be great to hear Groundspeak's view on this. It is obvious that Geopher is an avid supporter of Geocaching, sending newbies their way. It does kind of tick me off that Groundspeak has stonewalled the author. If you read his comments on his blog he is very humble about it. Bigging it up for Geopher here!!!

This is so cool!

I am extremely new to geocaching. I've known of the sport for a while but never had a GPS so I never gave it a try even though we do a lot of camping and hiking in SE Wisconsin. My nine-year-old daughter was turned onto the sport by a classmate, so we looked into getting a GPS. Our first Garmin Vista HCx is on the way and should arrive next week. (I did the research and settled on this one. Hope I made a good choice!)

I have an iPod Touch, so it looks like we will now be able to go paperless, using the new app to put the cache info on my iPod, then using the Garmin in concert to navigate to the cache. Am I interpreting this right?

Incidentally, I am finding geocaching.com and the Groundspeak forums to be an incredible wealth of good information. I'm really glad you guys are here, and that my daughter convinced me to give this whole thing a try.

Laura :rolleyes:

I'm spotting a cosmetic bug in the third screenshot. Shouldn't minutes be degrees and seconds be minutes?

For the rest: it looks great!

Thanks. We'll get this into the next update.

Out of curiousity - During testing, how accurate have you found the iPhone to be compared to traditional GPS receivers (specifically related to finding Geocaches)?

I'm spotting a cosmetic bug in the third screenshot. Shouldn't minutes be degrees and seconds be minutes?

Out of curiousity - During testing, how accurate have you found the iPhone to be compared to traditional GPS receivers (specifically related to finding Geocaches)?

We have been using a blackberry so far and just bought a Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx. We found out that the bb is not so bad as we thougt. Far from it. Most time the bb is more accurate. So I think the iphone should be quite similar.

We have been using a blackberry so far and just bought a Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx. We found out that the bb is not so bad as we thougt. Far from it. Most time the bb is more accurate. So I think the iphone should be quite similar.

I have found my 3g to be accurate within about 10 meters. My original iPhone was within about 20 in the city - not so much out in rural areal

I've found my iphone 3g to be 2X to 3X less accurate than my 76csx. if I'm reading 10ft error on my 76, I'll have about a 27ft error on my iphone (which is the best I ever seen from the iphone). this is assuming both devices are getting a good signal. I've found my iphone to not be as reliable about getting a good signal under less than optimum conditions than the 76.

I use both geopherlite and igeocacher currently on the iphone. geopherlite for when I'm looking in an area where I don't have the caches loaded onto the iphone or want the rotating compass. igeocacher for when I want long battery life or am working without network. I expect I'll check out the new geocaching.com app and see how it will fit into my usage, but right now the two apps I'm using do very well at covering all my needs.

so the iphone gets you to the general area of the cache. it's not any worse than some of the older gpsrs out there. however I always have my 76csx with me and if I'm going out on a preplanned run I tend to just use the 76csx rather then the iphone. the iphone is more of a "I have 10-30 minutes to kill, where's the nearest cache" device for me, or if I'm completely bombing out on finding a cache, I'll use the iphone to look up more information.

one thing I forgot to say is that the iphone has completely replaced my palm for paperless caching and it does a much better job of it.

Edited by grimlaf

Regarding the accuracy of the iphone, I have found it to be a bit better than my old etrex yellow. And I found ALOT of caches with that thing. I took my etrex and my iphone caching up in Connecticut a few months back, had the coordinates loaded in both my iphone and etrex, under heavy tree cover the etrex lost the signal several times where the iphone kept the signal and got me right to the cache. I've found that even when the indicated accuracy of the iphone doesn't seem to good, it will take you right to a cache and show you about 5-10ft away. I realize its not as good as new high sensitivity recievers, but we've all found tons of caches long before they came out. I've gone after about 20 caches with my iphone now and have found all of them, and none were more than about 10ft from where the iphone said they'd be at.

Edited by altered7151

Basically, i don't really cache with the iPhone, I still use my 60CSX to find the cache.

If I get to GZ and can't find it, I'll break out the iPhone, and use geopher lite to find the nearest cache, which is the one I'm looking for, and grab the hint, or look at past logs.

Sometimes, if a FTF, or if I have some time to waste, I'll "Field log" my finds.

I agree, it sucks to stamp the little guy out, and I'll keep using geopher, because it does what I want, but remember, even though just a hobby to most of us, Groundspeak is a business.

I agree, it sucks to stamp the little guy out, and I'll keep using geopher, because it does what I want, but remember, even though just a hobby to most of us, Groundspeak is a business.

I completely agree. Groundspeak is a business. And they have every right to develop their own iPhone application and access their data (which they essentially own). But that doesn't preclude them nor excuse them from working with people in the community that also work hard to promote Geocaching and support current and future Geocachers (which they seem to forget helps their business along the way, too).

I just hope the new Groundspeak's new iPhone app will be great and I hope it is worth the cost in terms of both dollars and the folks in the community they might have alienated in the process.

Edited by daschpeeg
This thread is specifically about Groundspeak's iPhone app, to be released soon. It's not about anything else.

If others wish to talk about other subjects, please read the forum guidelines and decide if it is appropriate to start a new topic.

Thanks.

For those that missed it, I'm quoting MissJenn's reminder that this topic is about the Geocaching application that Groundspeak has submitted to Apple. The thread is not about other applications for iPhone, iPod Touch, Windows Mobile, Google Android, etc.

Thank you.

The screenshots look like exactly what I've been hoping for in an iPhone geocaching app. The $10 price point is good for all of the great features you've included. I'm definitely looking forward to this.

I think iPhone owners might agree, the phone doesn't really replace a good GPS device while geocaching, but it's nice to have for getting quick nearby caches, which is why using the phone GPS functionality is incredibly usefuly. I've tried searching the geocaching.com site on the phone, while possible, not easy, especially when you don't know your exact coords... plus no cut and paste on iphone makes it difficult to look up your exact coords and put them in the browser. The compass is also a much needed feature for iPhone geocaching!

Thank you so much for your work on the app!

I am very excited about this new app. One thing I would REALLY like to see is a feature that my Garmin Colorado has. The ability to save your finds, known as Field Notes. If your doing several caches you can save them, when you get home you "Access My Field Notes", which is a text file and it places all the caches you found in chronological order so you can just click and log. A very useful tool, especially if your doing a handful of caches and don't want to log them on the spot. This function and the paperless caching is the main reason I haven't sold my Colorado (I still like prefer using my GPSMap 60CSx). I'll keep my fingers crossed, it seems like it would be an easy thing to add.

I learned about Igeocacher from this thread. Today was my first day caching with it. It worked like a dream. I would recommend it.

My problem with other geocaching apps is that some geocaching has no cell service. But igeocacher still works with no service. You still need a trail GPS too

Edited by kittie2171

Sweet, I would think this would really help! It looks so cool. Do we get a 30-day full mebership trial with the purchase of this and the iphone/itouch like with the gps?

There's no monthly fee with this application. It's a one time fee. Apple doesn't provide the ability to offer trial software through their iTunes store either.

I am very excited about this new app. One thing I would REALLY like to see is a feature that my Garmin Colorado has. The ability to save your finds, known as Field Notes. If your doing several caches you can save them, when you get home you "Access My Field Notes", which is a text file and it places all the caches you found in chronological order so you can just click and log. A very useful tool, especially if your doing a handful of caches and don't want to log them on the spot. This function and the paperless caching is the main reason I haven't sold my Colorado (I still like prefer using my GPSMap 60CSx). I'll keep my fingers crossed, it seems like it would be an easy thing to add.

I'd like to second that request. Using the Geocache Navigator field notes is awesome. Since I switched to the iPhone from my Blackberry this is exactly the app I've been looking for! It looks great, and field notes would put the icing on the cake.

I have read all of the post. My big question is with an ipod touch would this application do anything for me if I am out of wifi range. I am desperetly wanting to go paperless but have not been able too. (have vista Cachemate doesn't work).

Tami

buy a garmin colorado or oregon and you have not need for a second devise to go paperless

The more the merrier, IMHO... Each has it's strengths and weaknesses.

None of them have yet implemented a screen that shows target AND breadcrumb trail. I use that screen almost exclusively on my Eten x500+ with Beeline GPS. The eTen is a far superior 'caching machine right now except you can't see the screen worth a darn in direct sunlight. iPhone wins there hands down.

I'll buy them all @ $10/pop vs. some of the PPC programs costing upwards of $50. Thankfully you can trial PPC programs prior to purchasing which is a serious shortfall by Apple (that and the refusal to implement copy/paste, a discussion to be had elsewhere obviously).

The Geocaching app looks like another good app to make the iPhone even more useful in everyday life. I have been sick of needing to "maintain" GSAK, download GPX files into programs, etc. prior to a caching adventure. With two little boys to wrangle, a small company to run and the rest of lifes joy's, I have little time to keep stuff "up to date". If this program helps make caching more spontaneous, than "Kuddos!" and here's my $10....

Now if that Geode app would ever get released..... :0

I have read all of the post. My big question is with an ipod touch would this application do anything for me if I am out of wifi range. I am desperetly wanting to go paperless but have not been able too. (have vista Cachemate doesn't work).

Tami

What is wrong? Cachemate works fine for me on Vista. You don't happen to have a 64 bit Vista, do you? If so your right, hot sync is not supported on 64 bit vista. If your palm has a card slot then you can load the databases on the card with a card reader an put that into your palm and you will be good to go.

Jim

In support of all the comments that this will be a great application to use on the iphone. Not only will this help those existing geocachers that have or will be getting iphones, but... can you imagine the growth that this activity could potentially see from users of the iphone that stumble upon this new app?

Also, I do have to put in my support of a version of the geocaching app for the Palm platform.

Cool.

Maybe this will push Garmin to add some more useful geocaching functionality to their devices.

For example, I don't understand why - given that I have enough memory in my gps to store the location and name of every street in the country (2 GB) - I can't save more than 30 characters of text with a waypoint. A full cache description and hints would be great.

PN

Cool.

Maybe this will push Garmin to add some more useful geocaching functionality to their devices.

For example, I don't understand why - given that I have enough memory in my gps to store the location and name of every street in the country (2 GB) - I can't save more than 30 characters of text with a waypoint. A full cache description and hints would be great.

PN

with my Colorado I can store 2000caches with the discriptin hints and past logs.

I have been so impressed with the ability of the iphone to find geocaches that I was able to sell my Garmin Colorado ( which I liked very much )

Garmin Colorado and Auto Routing Software = $ 500.00

Versus

Geocaching.com APP = $ 9.99

IGeocacher ( when no cell available ) = $ 14.99

= $ 375.00 savings PRICELESS

You calculate costs just like a politician**. Are you perhaps running for a public office?

You included the costs of the hardware in your Garmin calculation but not the iphone calc. What's more, the iphone solution requires a huge monthly cost.

Colorado + auto-routing software: $500 + $3/ monthly (to download PQs)

Iphone + GC app + igeocacher + service: $199 + $9.99 + $14.99 + $70/mo (MINIMUM) + $3/mo (PQs) + 2 YEAR CONTRACT

Of course if you already have/need an iphone it's a no brainer. But many people don't need the bells and whistles phones.

-Ben

** To avoid flame wars, i will neglect to mention which one. :rolleyes:

I have read that Windows Mobile 7 will have a marketplace for applications like the iTunes store (as does the Android platform). What has been hard in the past for little guys is to get on the carrier's "deck." Getting on Verizon is next to impossible.

Here's one vote for an official Android application. :rolleyes:

I'm locked into T-Mobile, so i went for the Google Phone.. should arrive in a couple weeks. I hope to have a geocaching app available by then though it obviously will need to be based on GPX parsing. But, i'd be happy to see an official one too.

Competition is good.

-Ben

This thread is specifically about Groundspeak's iPhone app, to be released soon. It's not about anything else.

If others wish to talk about other subjects, please read the forum guidelines and decide if it is appropriate to start a new topic.

Thanks.

For those that missed it, I'm quoting MissJenn's reminder that this topic is about the Geocaching application that Groundspeak has submitted to Apple. The thread is not about other applications for iPhone, iPod Touch, Windows Mobile, Google Android, etc.

Thank you.

That's nice. But perhaps you've missed the fact that threads about those other iphone apps are routinely closed, and any attempt to discuss why are stonewalled. Not so nice.

I'm thinking that perhaps this is indeed the ideal place to discuss those other apps. I don't think Jeremy's going to close down his own thread, neh? And besides, there's not much to discuss about an app that hasn't been released yet anyway, right? Comparisons with other apps is part and parcel of any in-depth discussion of the new app - you can't just scrunch your eyes shut and go "nah-nah-nah" until they go away.

Always a nice feature some don't realize on the iphone is you can Screen capture anything on your phone I.E. Wed pages, Iphone Apps, even games. Is just stores it as a picture.. SO paperless Geo-caching is easy as and now even easier when this app is out..

Taking iPhone Screenshots

1. Navigate the iPhone to the screen you want to create an image of

2. While holding the Home button, press and release the Lock Sleep/Wake buttonYour screen will flash letting you know that the screenshot was taken

3. Navigate to your Camera Roll library (Photos)The most recent image should be the screencapture you just created

Cheers

This is GREAT !!!!

I hope it will be in the Dutch App-store soon ;-)

I have been using Geocache Navigator on my N95 for a year, and switched to the iPhone because my N95 dropped.. unfortunatly the GeocacheNavigator is not available for the iPhone. So a good application is very very welcome.

I hope this is just the start and that the app will be expanded in functionality along the way.

Some features I cannot see from the screenshots (that I loved in GeocacheNavigator):

* Filter on chache types when finding them. (Just Traditionals/ only multi's etc)

* When finding caches filter chaches "I have found". So you don't get all founds.

* Log caches from the app (through Field notes?)

* I assume "settings" will let you change the app to metric display of the distances.

* Show TB inventory of a cache

* When showing cache details, be able to turn to landscape mode, to make reading more easy.

One thing that is in the app and not in Geocache navigator is the "show TB" function! This is great, I always missed that in GN.

Also the SAVE cache option looks great. GN needs a data connection everytime you change screens, in areas without coverage this is really annoying. (As I live near belgium, I avoid the border area with my phone because data roaming costs are to high. Being able to save caches in the phone's memory will be great !)

Other feature requests I forsee in the future:

* have a way to not use the compass screen. (at least switch the GPS off). As some of us will still use their GPS devices, it would save a lot off battery live to not use the GPS all the time. So just for searching caches near you it will be used. The cache details screen will not need the GPS to be turned on.

* decript hints ;-)

* Show the last find date in the main screen. I always check the last found date before starting a cache.

A less important thing, that can be in version 10 ;-)

Projecting waypoints. Some caches require projecting Way Points.

Great work Groundspeak ! This makes being a premium member even better!!

Keep up to good work and happy caching !!

( $9.99 is to cheap in Euro's ;-) )