How to go paperless caching using an iTouch with GSAK

Big Wolf

Just to let you all know that after a couple of emails from Bugsyves, we have between us, managed to get this working. It appears that the latest version of the iTouch comes with an application called 'air sharing' and this gives local access to a who range of file types.

With this in mind it appears to be be straight forward to do an HTML export from GSAK and then use the air sharing app to display the index.html file fine on the iTouch. I don't have an iTouch of my own but Bugsyves assures me its working great.

The only downside reported is that the iTouch does not see the transferred folder as a web site so you have to scroll down past all the GCXXX files to get to the index.html.

For more info re the air sharing app see the following link. Looking at the app it looks like it costs 3.99 (GBP) from the iTunes store so if your iTouch does not have it guess you can download it and then soon go paperless caching!

http://www.avatron.com/products//

Edited by Big Wolf

I have just had a reply from the author of GSAK who says:-

"There should also be a file called "_1index.htm". I'm not sure of the collation sequence used on the iTouch, but on other systems this file gets sorted to the very top of the list. This file is exactly the same as "index.htm" but has been give this name for easy access when you have to browse the folder."

So looks like no need to do anything other than select a different file!

Edited by Big Wolf

OK, i got an iTouch 2nd gen (16 gig) for my birthday and of course, the first thing was to use the WiFi and get to gc.com. Looking around a little, i figured out how to use it for paperless caching:

It took me 20 minutes to figure all this out, and i'm now paperless:

Purchase and install "Air Sharing" (Apple Apps store, $6.99 CDN...a bargain!!)

Use the very excellent instructions to set up your iTouch as a wireless remote storage volume (took me less than 5 minutes) (Note that you need to hook up to a wireless router...anywhere, i did it at work...)

Generate a PQ.

Load up GSAK (what, you're not using it? Get it...it's GREAT) and use it to parse your PQ zip file

Use File>Export>HTML to generate html code for each cache...put the export in a folder by itself

Start "air sharing" on your iTouch by tapping the icon.

Use your Windows explorer window to drag the folder with the html files onto the iTouch

On your iTouch, tap the "_1index.htm" file to open the index onto all the caches

That's it! The files will open on the iTouch's browser (Safari).

I ran a test with a PQ that returned 187 caches, it took less than 3 minutes to get it onto the iTouch.

Ain't technology wunnerful? :D

Just want to say thanks for this :D

Noticed this a few days ago, going to Aberdeen tomorrow for the footie and an overnight so finally got round to buying the program and getting it set up.

If anyone is stuck for help let me know. Especially with the Mac side of things, looks as thought everyone is windows. I have windows myself but worked repairing macs for a few years up untill a few months ago (when I switched to Microsoft, best move ever :)). Still know alot about Macs and how there repair centres work, especially in Scotland seeing as there is only the one now in Clydebank.