Bobcam

knowschad

I just want to take a second to point out a great accomplishment by a friend of mine. Bobcam has managed to find over 5,000 caches in his first year of geocaching! True, it was much harder, if not impossible, to achieve those numbers years ago, nevertheless, this took some pretty amazing effort to achieve. And he's a pretty nice guy, on top of it!

You will NOT see any copy & paste logs on Bobcam's finds, either, by the way. He doesn't take physical notes, but somehow he manages to remember something unique about every cache he finds, and makes mention of that in his logs.

No, he isn't retired. 40 hours a week, the usual daily grind. Lots of careful planning, lots of driving to places with cache concentration, and yeah... his terrain rating has dropped dramatically since last winter when he was doing 4 4.5 terrain caches in the Minnesota winter snow, but that doesn't mean that they're all 1 1/5 caches, either.

Congratulations, Bobcam. Good work, and I seriously hope that your next year is spent finding a few quality caches in leasure. You deserve it.

Edited by knowschad

I'm proud to be acquainted with Bobcam and was astounded to watch him make quick work of my cache hides (no, they weren't terribly hard). He swooped in, using his acutely-honed geosenses, signed the log, replaced it as found and zoomed onto the next one! It was hard to keep up with him the day I hadn't intended to cache but did (barefoot), and lemme tell you, that guy can MOVE!!

Congratulations, Bobcam on 4999!! I see, with a chuckle, that you've saved #5000 for your geoanniversary tomorrow! (I was happy to achieve a mere 400 for mine!) You've done Minnesota proud!

Edited by meralgia

What percentage of his finds were hidden by King Boreas? ;)

According to Bobcam's stats, out of 5022 finds only 355 were KB hides (7%).

Cool, thanks. It was just a simple question. You have a hider in your area with almost 2000 hides so to me it was a fair question. I've never found a KB cache so I don't know if they're easy or not (there's just lots of them!), so you chose to be offended on somelese's behalf. :):(

Don't even make me pull this thread over.

Thanks!! I'd sure like to see this stay a congratulatory thread as it was intended to be.

I totally understand that number watching is not everyone's cup of tea (not really mine, for that matter), but regardless of how and why anyone caches, that is still one heck of an accomplishment!

Don't even make me pull this thread over.

Thanks!! I'd sure like to see this stay a congratulatory thread as it was intended to be.

I totally understand that number watching is not everyone's cup of tea (not really mine, for that matter), but regardless of how and why anyone caches, that is still one heck of an accomplishment!

I agree. How this user came to this accomplishment is not really within the topic lines. Neither why he caches or why anyone else does or dosn't etc. The fact that this user came to this number in this short amount of time is the point, and he deserves comending. He has been well commited to the game beyond what most of us have ever seen and Congratulating him shouldn't be a whole ton to ask.

On that note, Congratulations! :(

Edited by Zac Young

Looks like you guys in Minnesota are going to be kept pretty busy putting out geocaches for him to find if he is to keep up at that rate.

We can't. He used up all of our available space when he put out his 101 hides :(

(he's promised that now that he's reached his 1 year goal that he will begin converting his spruce tree micros to better caches. We'll see about that :) )

I was sure he'd have nabbed the "Challenge of A Century: Hides" (GC15Y2Y) where King Boreas (yeah, yeah) states, "To log a 'Found it' for this cache (in addition to finding the cache and signing the logbook) you must own one hundred cache Hides." But he didn't. It does appear to be on the "wrong side" of the City, so perhaps he just didn't see it. Is that possible?

5,000 finds in one year? Wow, that is awesome! B)

I don't even think we have that many caches in my state... :P

Maybe we should move to MN!

I was doing some comparisons myself. According to his profile he has found 789 caches less than 10 miles from his home coordinates. I have found 158 (that's all there is). He's found 1084 caches 10-20 miles from home. I've found 164 (there are about 90 more that I have not found). Most impressive was that 20% of his caches were 200-500 miles from home. I also noted that he had over 600 caches this month. That's more than I've had in 19 months of geocache and the had two other months that surpassed my measly 563 finds in 19 months.

Working 40 hours a week can put a damper in the amount of time to go caching but having a family and a 5 year old son that doesn't particularly care for geocaching probably limits how much time I have even more.

And what does Bobcam do in his spare time? :rolleyes:

When Bob's not out caching, I'm sure he's reading logs in whatever spare time he has! LOL

That is amazing!

I joined last July or there abouts and am only up to 73 now, but I only do it for an hour or two in the morning. I'd like to shoot for 500 this year, but we'll see

Congrats on to Bobcam on the find total. The fact that he can write meaningful log notes is what really impresses me. My find total is only at 450 in four months, but many times I struggle with writing interesting logs even though I use field notes to capture my thoughts immediately after making the find.

I'll go read a cross section of Bobcams logs and hopefully get an education.

Bobcam just hit 10000...CONGRATS!

"Caching - it's not really a full time job... right?"

;)

It isn't for him. Bob works a regular 40 hr/week job. He never caches on weeknights, either. Just weekends and "vacations" (the parenthesis are deliberate LOL!). His 2nd anniversary will be in September. Any projections as to how many he'll have by then?

Bobcam just hit 10000...CONGRATS!

"Caching - it's not really a full time job... right?"

;)

It isn't for him. Bob works a regular 40 hr/week job. He never caches on weeknights, either. Just weekends and "vacations" (the parenthesis are deliberate LOL!). His 2nd anniversary will be in September. Any projections as to how many he'll have by then?

And I thought the guy around here who will probably hit around 6,000 by his two year anniversay (also coming up) was crazy! That is a seriously impressive rate, and probably on a par with Team Alamo's (or whatever they're called now) cache finding rate.

I predict 12,364. ;)

And I thought the guy around here who will probably hit around 6,000 by his two year anniversay (also coming up) was crazy! That is a seriously impressive rate, and probably on a par with Team Alamo's (or whatever they're called now) cache finding rate.

Its really hard to compare the caching rates of cachers that started at different times. When Team Alamo (now Alamogul ) started caching in 2003, the cache density was nowhere near was when Bobcam started caching. And AAlamogul doesn't have his stats displayed other than milestones, but from simply eyeballing it, I'd say that Bobcam's rate is at least a bit higher.

I predict 12,364. ;)

I happen to know what his goal is, but I'm not gonna post it here. He'd kill me if he found out. But you're way low. ;)

Edited by knowschad

Congrats Bobcam ...

Question ? ... Does he cache alone or with a few friends and then mark all caches found by the group as individual finds.

If he caches alone .... somebody call Ripley ...

Not trying to be sarcastic ... just rather hard to believe. Considering the alloted timetable.

Congrats Bobcam ...

Question ? ... Does he cache alone or with a few friends and then mark all caches found by the group as individual finds.

Not trying to be sarcastic ... just rather hard to believe. Considering the alloted timetable.

Bobcam is a personal friend. I have cached with him on numerous occasions (although generally not for the full day). I only know of two others that have cached with him. But mostly he goes by himself. He is at his first cache at or before sunup and caches until (but generally not after) dark.

He is very well organized, and a very hard worker. The night before, he makes up "The List"... a list of the caches for the next day and the order that he is going to hit them in. He makes the list manually... no MS Streets & Trips or anything like that. I suggested it to him once, but he wasn't interested. He does use a Nuvi for driving from cache to cache, and recently has begun to bring his bicycle with him routinely.

So... go ahead and call Ripley!

Congrats Bobcam ...

Bobcam is a personal friend. I have cached with him on numerous occasions (although generally not for the full day). I only know of two others that have cached with him. But mostly he goes by himself. He is at his first cache at or before sunup and caches until (but generally not after) dark.

He is very well organized, and a very hard worker. The night before, he makes up "The List"... a list of the caches for the next day and the order that he is going to hit them in. He makes the list manually... no MS Streets & Trips or anything like that. I suggested it to him once, but he wasn't interested. He does use a Nuvi for driving from cache to cache, and recently has begun to bring his bicycle with him routinely.

So... go ahead and call Ripley!

Holy Cow!!! I mean, I hit 2000 in my first year and that was nuts to accomplish - but I have young kids too. I can completely respect the list making the night before because I do the same thing.

While loving the numbers, I'm a bit envious in a respectful way. Wish I had more time to cache, it's a great hobby. It's been a great weight loss tool too. I've lost 20 lbs since I began caching. Gets me out and moving.

Holy Cow!!! I mean, I hit 2000 in my first year and that was nuts to accomplish - but I have young kids too. I can completely respect the list making the night before because I do the same thing.

THERE is your problem! :):D

Nothing shabby about 2K in your first year, though!!