conversion help

forthferalz

Help please- does anyone know how to convert something given from an etrex set to into UTM/UPS australian geod '6 to

something that looks like DDD MM.MMM eg. S 41° 14.937 E 146° 10.350

I tried using this but obviously I'm wrong - the coords do not place me in teh right spot by miles although of course the friends coords could be wrong!

http://www.baseloc.com/hq2/index.php?c=2

55G i know from Wikipedia is the UTM grid reference followed by a 7 digit number but I can't understand what UTH 5370764 refers to at all. One would be an easting and one a southing?

Edited by forthferalz

Help please- does anyone know how to convert something given from an etrex set to into UTM/UPS australian geod '6 to

something that looks like DDD MM.MMM eg. S 41° 14.937 E 146° 10.350

I tried using this but obviously I'm wrong - the coords do not place me in teh right spot by miles although of course the friends coords could be wrong!

http://www.baseloc.com/hq2/index.php?c=2

55G i know from Wikipedia is the UTM grid reference followed by a 7 digit number but I can't understand what UTH 5370764 refers to at all. One would be an easting and one a southing?

try fizzycalc.

Jim

You can use your GPS to convert the numbers for you:

1. Set your GPS datum and format to match the datum & format of the waypoint you want to convert.

2. Make a new waypoint and then edit it to match the origional you want to convert and save.

3. Set your GPS to the new datum and format you want to convert to.

4. Look at the waypoint you saved. (It was converted to the new datum & format)

[

As you probably know from Wikipedia, UTM is a mapping scheme in which the earth's two hemispheres are divided into numbered slices (sections) that run from the equator to about 80 degrees north or south. The central meridian or longitude of each UTM section is assigned a value of 500,000 meters easting. So if your location is less than 500,000 "easting" it means you are west of the center of your zone, while > 500,000m means you are east of the center. The other UTM value is just the distance from the equator, also in meters. So it will probably be a 7-digit number. This value is called the "Northing. The easting you quoted "5370764" looks like it has one too many digits. Maybe it should be 537764? Hope this helps.

Edited by Ed56