Local Geochaching Club.

Cherokee Bill

I live near a state line, there is one in each state that I belong to.

My favorite club though, is a very local club that has regular coffee clutch meetings. Sitting down and spinning yarns, sipping a cup of coffee and eating a cinnamon roll are wonderful ways to make some great friends. I feel that my life has been enriched by these gatherings and I try to never miss them.

I like the state and local clubs because it gives me the opportunity to get to know others who live a long distance from me. I like to pop into the online clubs from other states on occassion just to see what cachers are up to in other parts of the country as well.

1. If there is a local Geocaching Club in you area, are you a member?

Yes there is (sort of) but it faltered a bit too much at start up in 2003-04. Too soon for here, too few members, too few caches in the area, area too big. Not enough regular meetings, too many miles for most of area. Lots of things. I can only blame myself as I was the one that tried starting it. Now some of the same area has some local groups, some involving a few towns some with bigger ambitions. Some are highly organized structures - some just like minded folks having fun. Really nothing local to me is going on right now.

I am going to give a try at a scaled back and very loose more local group later this fall. Just planning a few events right now.

First, thanks so much for your time!

a. If no, why?

2. If there is no local club in your area, and one were to start, would you join?

a. If no, why not?

1. Yes, I'm a member of several in my state, at least on the forums. I'm more active with some than others, but that mostly depends on the groups activity and how close it is to home.

2. Yes. I wish one would, I'd help with starting it or start it myself if there was enough activity in the area to support it. However activity in my area is very hit and miss, people come and go frequently, and most who are here don't seem to be very interested in socializing. I will commend one local who has regular events, but the last one only had 3 cachers attend including the owner, and myself. (Bad weather I guess.)

We have a local group- MOOG which is basically a loosely knit group that shows up at events and CITOS and is connected by a Google Group mailing list. It works so far as having anything more formal would cause angst.

Also, there is a forum that was kinda set up for the state and a few of us post things there to keep all the other groups informed of goings-on.

Online there are 2 Yahoo groups for Montana cachers, 1 google group and the Great falls group uses a mailing list but is being solidified into a more focused group at an upcoming event.

Things that can tear apart groups- too many events, too many requirements, too formal, too informal, etc.

Good luck!

Jen

a. If no, why?

2. If there is no local club in your area, and one were to start, would you join?

a. If no, why not?

Well, "in my area" of Los Angeles is a pretty broad start. I know there are a few, but nothing within 45 minutes of driving.

Yes, if one were to start in my area (West San Fernando Valley) I would definitely join. IN fact, if there were enough interested people, I might just START one! :( Anyone out here from Woodland Hills, Canoga Park, West Hills, Chatsworth, Calabasas, or Bell Canyon interested in getting together?

Let me know! Jeff

We have a wonderful local club. There are a few dozen members and between group hunts, chatting on the forum, and of course our monthly Beer and Wings night I wouldn't miss it for the world. For the most part Geocachers are decent people and there backgrounds tend to be so varied that you get amazing ideas come up when they get together. We recently did a group hide where we created an event and everyone at the event got to vote on the details of the cache. From the container and swag to the hiding spot it was all a group decision. If you have an opportunity to check out a local club, do so. I don't think you will be disappointed. If you don't have a local club it's not that hard to start one. Set up a forum (I suggest PhpBB) on one of the free (or cheap if your willing to pay) hosting sites. Come up with a good name and then let the other local cachers know what your doing. Plan something like a monthly group hunt, dinner, or both. Don't forget to post something to the Ground Speak forums as well. I think there is a thread somewhere to list groups.

a. If no, why?

a. If no, why not?

There isn't, and I am trying to piece one together... however there are some (not me) who are convinced that a club has to be "official" and somehow "sanctioned" by the Geocaching community. I cannot located any solid information on this. Any assistance would be appreciated.

a. If no, why?

a. If no, why not?

1. I am NOT a member of the BC Geocaching Association

1a.

• I see no advantage to being a member
  • Was involved briefly at the inception of the BCGA but quit because of politics and power struggles.
  • Being a member would not enhance my geocaching
  • I'm a curmudgeon and prefer the company of my dogs to other people.
  • Many of my caching habits would be frowned upon by some of the more officious members of the BCGA

2. No

2a. See 1a.