Has this happened to anyone else?

So I finally decide... "Fine, We can do some micros"......and this is what I get

A simple no-brain matter-needed Lamp Skirt Cache......

DSCN0003.jpg<BR>

FILLED WITH CRICKETS AND BABY CRICKETS!!!!!!!!!

so we made the brave 1 of the 3 go and get it.......

I've never heard of this happening......I guess this is where they live in the day time?

Edited by nycdancerboi

Wow. That's pretty awesome.

How long was it since the previous find?

1 day!

and no mention of man eating crickets!

I pretty much always find crickets and / or spiders under lamp post skirts. I suppose its a nice dark spot for them to hide from predators.

Terrifying

I had one recently that had a bees nest and bees looking at me.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c1-fe6ce576fc5e

I also had another one when lifted, a big black spider jumped on my hand and I quicky knocked it off.

I would have wet myself

You gotta remember - we are most often choosing to play in and around other creatures homes. Just in lamp posts, we've seen wasps, yellow jackets, beetles, spiders, earwigs, ladybugs, crickets, and a gargantuan millipede...but they all called those skirts home. Same deal with guard rails, bench railings, piles of sticks, rotten stumps, downed trees (add snakes to the list about here). We are but one of a whole host of critters sharing the same space.

EDIT: spelling/typo

Edited by 3doxies

So I finally decide... "Fine, We can do some micros"......and this is what I get

A simple no-brain matter-needed Lamp Skirt Cache......

DSCN0003.jpg<BR>

so we made the brave 1 of the 3 go and get it.......

I've never heard of this happening......I guess this is where they live in the day time?

Hey! Bait! There's a reason for fishing cachers to do LPC's. :(

I find it hard to believe that anyone is chirping and tweeting about a few crickets at a cache hide site. First, we live in the mountain wilderness, and, just as many urban and suburban homes and apartments are infested with cockroaches, our home is (joyously) infested with crickets and spiders (including some very large fishing spiders) and also a few flying squirrels (in winter) and ringneck snakes (in spring), and we could not be happier about it!

And, for almost all of our Psycho caches, crickets (or cave crickets) are, in most cases, the VERY LEAST of concerns, in the realm of potentially "gross" things, that cache hunters will encounter while seeking the cache. Putting aside snakes for a moment, just a few of the things that seekers of our Psycho Urban Cache #10 - Derelict Grunge Acropolis will encounter, while crawling in the dark and dank tunnels of an abandoned fort, are the following:

• large rats
  • feral cats
  • drug dealers, aka drug pushers
  • the often-addled and fried customers of the above-mentioned drug dealers
  • hordes of gay sex cruisers
  • female prostitutes, aka hookers
  • johns, aka "hobbyists", seeking to hire the above-mentioned hookers
  • male hustlers
  • puddles of urine
  • puddles of other human bodily fluids, including diarrhea, blood and semen, often admixed
  • piles of rat feces and cat feces
  • piles of used condoms deep enuf to be able to serve as a cushion for a jump from a twenty foot height from the beams above (I am not kidding!)
  • large spiders
  • tens of thousands of cave crickets
  • lots of mold and other fungus, including really gross green slimy stuff
  • thousands of discarded and broken used syringes, some still showing fresh blood on the needle
  • hundreds of broken liquor bottles
  • more molds and fungus

Totally fun!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

large rats

feral cats

drug dealers, aka drug pushers

the often-addled and fried customers of the above-mentioned drug dealers

hordes of gay sex cruisers

female prostitutes, aka hookers

johns, aka "hobbyists", seeking to hire the above-mentioned hookers

male hustlers

puddles of urine

puddles of other human bodily fluids, including diarrhea, blood and semen

piles of rat feces and cat feces

piles of used condoms deep enuf to be able to serve as a cushion for a jump from a twenty foot height from the beams above (I am not kidding!)

large spiders

tens of thousands of cave crickets

lots of mold and other fungus, including really gross green slimy stuff

thousands of discarded and broken used syringes, some still showing fresh blood on the needle

hundreds of broken liquor bottles

more molds and fungus

A Family Cache...I've been looking for one of these.

large rats

feral cats

drug dealers, aka drug pushers

the often-addled and fried customers of the above-mentioned drug dealers

hordes of gay sex cruisers

female prostitutes, aka hookers

johns, aka "hobbyists", seeking to hire the above-mentioned hookers

male hustlers

puddles of urine

puddles of other human bodily fluids, including diarrhea, blood and semen

piles of rat feces and cat feces

piles of used condoms deep enuf to be able to serve as a cushion for a jump from a twenty foot height from the beams above (I am not kidding!)

large spiders

tens of thousands of cave crickets

lots of mold and other fungus, including really gross green slimy stuff

thousands of discarded and broken used syringes, some still showing fresh blood on the needle

hundreds of broken liquor bottles

more molds and fungus

A Family Cache...I've been looking for one of these.

Yes, this cache is the most family-friendly cache in the state of Maryland! ...that is, if you are trying to kill off your family members or drive them into long-term commitment in a residential 24-hour behavioral care facility (what we useta call a "mental hospital" or "looney bin")!

I find it hard to believe that anyone is chirping and tweeting about a few crickets at a cache hide site. First, we live in the mountain wilderness, and, just as many urban and suburban homes and apartments are infested with cockroaches, our home is (joyously) infested with crickets and spiders (including some very large fishing spiders) and also a few flying squirrels (in winter) and ringneck snakes (in spring), and we could not be happier about it!

And, for almost all of our Psycho caches, crickets (or cave crickets) are, in most cases, the VERY LEAST of concerns, in the realm of potentially "gross" things, that cache hunters will encounter while seeking the cache. Putting aside snakes for a moment, just a few of the things that seekers of our Psycho Urban Cache #10 - Derelict Grunge Acropolis will encounter, while crawling in the dark and dank tunnels of an abandoned fort, are the following:

• large rats
  • feral cats
  • drug dealers, aka drug pushers
  • the often-addled and fried customers of the above-mentioned drug dealers
  • hordes of gay sex cruisers
  • female prostitutes, aka hookers
  • johns, aka "hobbyists", seeking to hire the above-mentioned hookers
  • male hustlers
  • puddles of urine
  • puddles of other human bodily fluids, including diarrhea, blood and semen, often admixed
  • piles of rat feces and cat feces
  • piles of used condoms deep enuf to be able to serve as a cushion for a jump from a twenty foot height from the beams above (I am not kidding!)
  • large spiders
  • tens of thousands of cave crickets
  • lots of mold and other fungus, including really gross green slimy stuff
  • thousands of discarded and broken used syringes, some still showing fresh blood on the needle
  • hundreds of broken liquor bottles
  • more molds and fungus

Totally fun!

That may be the best Vinny post ever, but I have to detract a few points since it was about a real cache. :(

One of my caches was the site of a little ant farm. Supposedly some were actually inside the ammo box. I'm surprised that they could get in.

af869e8f-f81a-4fc2-ae68-bdca294b1a96.jpg

Briansnat, could you just stop lying to us? We know better! We all know that New Jersey is so laden with toxic waste that all the ants and all other insects, and arthropods as well, died off years ago, and so your post above is obviously a blatant fabricated PR-type attempt to convince us that New Jersey is not as toxic as we all know it is!

BTW, have you ever encountered the radioactive monsters in the Hackensack Meadowlands?

:P

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Nature's answer to Lamp Post hides. Finally. From here, the animals will only grow bigger, until we learn to stop hiding such types.

Spiders are next, then mice, rats, otters, foxes, wolves, bears, elephants and finally sperm whales.